homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Marketplace > Dealers & Group Buys
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Dealers & Group Buys Classifieds from dealers, and bulk-order discounts for ss.org members.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:04 PM   #2876
MAJ Meadows SF
on a tone quest

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watty View Post
I just think there's a point past which people are going to think you're taking it too seriously and so many people are seemingly willing to give Dylan a pass on this aspect of a subculture because they happen to like the "medium" he identifies with.
It just is what it is dude. Dylan doesn't care, I don't care, I like it because I definitely identify with it. The bombastic extremes and romanticizing of metal is exactly what I love about the brand, not just the instruments, and yes the subculture. Where else can you be so much larger than life and yet be such a minority in the grand scheme of things? It is just an opinion, but not solely his and something that's developed over generations of bands, albums, and events. Are those of us eccentric for thinking that? Sure, I can't argue with that, so right my name down on that list

Maybe a different way to state your comment is "ok this is just phvcking weird", to be less polite. Otherwise I don't know where you're going with the critique/observation. Not a knock, brother, just trying to clarify.

Current Lineup:
Ormsby Run 1 GTRs: SX 6, Hype 7
Daemoness Valkenbyrd VII "YOG-SOTHOTH"
Daemoness Cimmerian VII "Philippians 4:13"
KxK 7DC#11 -Gaboon PME RW Dream
KxK 7DC#28 -Carribean Blue Burst semi-hollow
BC Rich, PRS, Kramer, JEMs, other stuff.
KSR Ares 6550, ENGL, MESA, 5150, EVH, BKP, SD

Incoming:
Ormsby: GTRs because reasons,
Copper Hype; SX7 Custom Limited
Vik FF8, x2 Project JEM/RGs
MAJ Meadows SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:41 PM   #2877
Danukenator
Kane's Bane

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I *think* I get where Watty is coming from.

Personally, I've never been into one genre of music enough to get into the subculture. I kinda' go to every genre and dig out the stuff I like. I have no problem with people being enthusiastic; it shows a persons true passion even I can't personally share it or fully understand it. However, there are outliers which can almost transcend what you normally consider "passionate".

If you enjoy or are intrigued by something (ie. Dylan's guitars) but are perplexed by the attitude's of the person making them, I get why it would make liking the guitars more difficult. There is a sentiment from the creator attached to them that you are kinda' just perplexed by and it colors your overall perspective. I'm struggling to find the correct words to describe this feeling or vibe. It's almost like by being alienated from Dylan's perspective of metal, it alienates you a tiny bit from the product because it is difficult to disassociate the two (Dylan and the guitar).

Apologies if that was incoherent, I had similar thoughts about another topic and I was interested in trying to put it in words.

Overall, I'm glad Dylan is passionate about metal and whatnot. People who are able to reach the apex of their abilities are often driven by said passion. I doubt Dylan could do what he does without loving it and that's very cool to see.

Landsat > Guitars
Danukenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:50 PM   #2878
Mechanos71
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danukenator View Post
I *think* I get where Watty is coming from.

Personally, I've never been into one genre of music enough to get into the subculture. I kinda' go to every genre and dig out the stuff I like. I have no problem with people being enthusiastic; it shows a persons true passion even I can't personally share it or fully understand it. However, there are outliers which can almost transcend what you normally consider "passionate".

If you enjoy or are intrigued by something (ie. Dylan's guitars) but are perplexed by the attitude's of the person making them, I get why it would make liking the guitars more difficult. There is a sentiment from the creator attached to them that you are kinda' just perplexed by and it colors your overall perspective. I'm struggling to find the correct words to describe this feeling or vibe. It's almost like by being alienated from Dylan's perspective of metal, it alienates you a tiny bit from the product because it is difficult to disassociate the two (Dylan and the guitar).

Apologies if that was incoherent, I had similar thoughts about another topic and I was interested in trying to put it in words.

Overall, I'm glad Dylan is passionate about metal and whatnot. People who are able to reach the apex of their abilities are often driven by said passion. I doubt Dylan could do what he does without loving it and that's very cool to see.
You weren't incoherent, you nailed it.
Mechanos71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:23 PM   #2879
narad
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
It's almost like by being alienated from Dylan's perspective of metal, it alienates you a tiny bit from the product because it is difficult to disassociate the two (Dylan and the guitar).
I don't understand it, because I don't see why someone would want to disassociate the two. It's not like Dylan's building instruments for a whole slew of genres: it's metal guitars. And, even if you don't aren't as passionate about it or personally wrapped up in the themes and messages, you can't deny metal music is full of this kind of imagery and over-the-top delivery. The guitars are just a reflection of that.

So it's weird to me to come in and say, could we get some kickass metal guitars, but you know, could you (the builder) tone it down a little? No one's force-feeding you Daemoness so if you want a metal guitar made by someone with the most vanilla attitude towards metal music as a genre, I'm sure there's literally hundreds of builders out there who can oblige.

It reminds me of a local news story where a vegan couple walked into a big dedicated rack rib shop and were offended when there weren't really any vegan options. It's like, we'd love to sell something to you, but slapping down an absolutely barbaric slab of meat on the table is the sole purpose of this establishment. Why would you come here of all places!?

"What do we say to the God of Practice?" "Not today!"
* Avoid business with BG Loft *
narad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:57 PM   #2880
chassless
Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
^ Yeah, i like the analogy you made. I guess some people would like to find a builder with Dylan's talent but without Dylan's 'loud mouth'.

chassless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:58 PM   #2881
KnightBrolaire
Sun Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassless View Post
^ Yeah, i like the analogy you made. I guess some people would like to find a builder with Dylan's talent but without Dylan's 'loud mouth'.
so waghorn or padalka basically lol

guitars:
Kiesel VM8 with lithium pickups
Kiesel V8 with lundgren M8s
Strandberg Boden CS8 with Instrumental SFTY3-8 pickups
Overload Rhea 8 with Elysian TAP8 (bridge) /Cold Sweat (neck)
Schecter Avenger 8 with Nazgul/Sentient
warmoth baritone with lace dissonant aggressors
carvin DC600 with lithiums
amps:
kemper
Mesa Boogie F30
Pickup Demos: https://soundcloud.com/skwisgaar-sandervaal
If you want to see what I'm up to:https://www.instagram.com/swolepatrololo
68W/Medic
KnightBrolaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #2882
Mechanos71
SS.org Regular

I think its less about being a loud mouth and more about people being able to relate. I don't think these guys are trying to censor Dylan as much as they just don't vibe with his perspective. At the end of the day Daemoness is a brand and its customers have to at least somewhat identify with it. I think that is the struggle for guys like Watty, they appreciate the art but they don't identify with Dylan or Daemoness. I think to Narad's point if you don't identify with Daemoness then you shouldn't buy one. This is feasible in theory but I think it may be difficult for the guys who are really tempted to buy one but have reservations about the brand.

Again I don't feel this way. I appreciate Dylan's passion for what it is. I think we need more passionate people (in both in type person and degree of passion).
Old 02-17-2017, 10:59 AM   #2883
Danukenator
Kane's Bane

To address parts of what Narad said, I personally don't feel this way towards Daemoness. I was just trying to describe the thought process of someone that might.

I do need to be clear, no where did I indicate Dylan should change. I think asking someone with true passion for their hobby or job to tone it done is simply sinful. My point is about how it may be hard for a customer to connect with that perspective. Mechanos put it quite well.

Some people have trouble consuming a product they like if it is associated with beliefs they don't gel with. I'm personally not one except for truly extreme cases (eg. Varg and Burzums music).

Landsat > Guitars
Old 02-17-2017, 12:30 PM   #2884
Sermo Lupi
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by narad View Post
I don't understand it, because I don't see why someone would want to disassociate the two. It's not like Dylan's building instruments for a whole slew of genres: it's metal guitars. And, even if you don't aren't as passionate about it or personally wrapped up in the themes and messages, you can't deny metal music is full of this kind of imagery and over-the-top delivery. The guitars are just a reflection of that.

So it's weird to me to come in and say, could we get some kickass metal guitars, but you know, could you (the builder) tone it down a little? No one's force-feeding you Daemoness so if you want a metal guitar made by someone with the most vanilla attitude towards metal music as a genre, I'm sure there's literally hundreds of builders out there who can oblige.

It reminds me of a local news story where a vegan couple walked into a big dedicated rack rib shop and were offended when there weren't really any vegan options. It's like, we'd love to sell something to you, but slapping down an absolutely barbaric slab of meat on the table is the sole purpose of this establishment. Why would you come here of all places!?
I like Dylan, so I've got no dog in this fight. You do seem to be missing the mark a bit, however.

The comment that kicked this off was a criticism of Dylan's enthusiasm for metal, which is incidental to the guitars he builds as far as the buyer is concerned. In your analogy, it's less about the vegan couple coming into the butcher shop looking for a salad, and more about them being put off by how much delight the butcher gets by slaughtering animals and his tendency to overshare this with his customers. Maybe these people aren't vegan at all, but rather the type to look for groceries without any desire to peak behind the curtain at the abattoir--whatever their reasons, the point is that their objection to the butcher's behaviour doesn't make them any less passionate about a quality steak.

More to the point, 'metal' has a lot of subgenres within it, a lot of fans who support it, and not all of them are going to be into the same kinds of imagery or the over-the-top delivery that is part and parcel with some types of metal. So on that point I disagree...for example, Cannibal Corpse's album covers have been controversial within the metal genre (let alone outside of it) for ages, and there's absolutely people out there who are passionate about metal music and culture that find those album covers grotesque or cliche. Likewise, there's people out there who like black metal but disagree with the extremist views of various black metal musicians. Or people who like Slayer or Motorhead that object to their use of Nazi imagery on their guitars, promotion materials, and so on. We've seen many discussions about those topics on this forum over the years, so even within this community it is clear there's disagreement about these things. People are no more married to a particular variety of metal 'imagery and over-the-top delivery' (as you've put it) than metal itself is; metal and its fans are anything but homogenous.

As for how this relates to Dylan, I realise you're saying that his artistry comes from this passion he has for metal, and I do believe that to be true, but it's also possible to imagine the existence of a luthier that is equally talented but less outspoken. I agree that it's a pointless criticism insofar as Dylan won't change his behavior or his art for the critics (and why should he?), but I can see why some people would be put off by his views of metal, art, or whatever else.

Anyway, for my own part I'm a big fan of what Dylan does. It's nice to see a young guy setting such exacting standards for his artistry, yet remain completely in touch with his influences. You could never call him inauthentic, whatever your opinion of his views on metal, and it's nice to see someone with such drive and conviction. It's the sincerest form of professionalism in a very different sense of the word as it's popularly used today; Dylan lives for what he does, and I think that's something that can be respected by anyone.
Sermo Lupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:37 AM   #2885
Danukenator
Kane's Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sermo Lupi View Post
The stuff this smart fellow said.

To bring the discussion back towards the actual guitars; can someone remind me what types of filler Dylan uses in some of his inlays. I know the answer is somewhere in this thread but I'd like to avoid sifting through the whole thing.

Landsat > Guitars
Old 02-18-2017, 12:54 AM   #2886
KnightBrolaire
Sun Seeker

Quote:

To bring the discussion back towards the actual guitars; can someone remind me what types of filler Dylan uses in some of his inlays. I know the answer is somewhere in this thread but I'd like to avoid sifting through the whole thing.
I've seen him use aluminum powders and resins. can't think of any others off the top of my head.

guitars:
Kiesel VM8 with lithium pickups
Kiesel V8 with lundgren M8s
Strandberg Boden CS8 with Instrumental SFTY3-8 pickups
Overload Rhea 8 with Elysian TAP8 (bridge) /Cold Sweat (neck)
Schecter Avenger 8 with Nazgul/Sentient
warmoth baritone with lace dissonant aggressors
carvin DC600 with lithiums
amps:
kemper
Mesa Boogie F30
Pickup Demos: https://soundcloud.com/skwisgaar-sandervaal
If you want to see what I'm up to:https://www.instagram.com/swolepatrololo
68W/Medic
KnightBrolaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:31 AM   #2887
Blytheryn
Black Winter Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightBrolaire View Post
I've seen him use aluminum powders and resins. can't think of any others off the top of my head.
I do think he uses a lot of resins on the newer builds. That's at least what my inlay is going to consist of.

ESP Formula FR "Matte Black"
EVH 5150 III Stealth
EVH 5150 III 2x12 Cab
Blytheryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:47 AM   #2888
Mechanos71
SS.org Regular

Wolf helm inlay has aluminum, brass, gold, mother of pearl and Tahiti pearl. As the guys have said some guitars like summoner have resin inlays and some guitars like the bogoak twins are inlaid with different woods. Basically Dylan has a diverse inlay palatte
Old 02-18-2017, 01:33 PM   #2889
narad
SS.org Regular

Quote:
The comment that kicked this off was a criticism of Dylan's enthusiasm for metal, which is incidental to the guitars he builds as far as the buyer is concerned. In your analogy, it's less about the vegan couple coming into the butcher shop looking for a salad, and more about them being put off by how much delight the butcher gets by slaughtering animals and his tendency to overshare this with his customers. Maybe these people aren't vegan at all, but rather the type to look for groceries without any desire to peak behind the curtain at the abattoir--whatever their reasons, the point is that their objection to the butcher's behaviour doesn't make them any less passionate about a quality steak.
Sure, you can make a better analogy -- that was just a real news story with some similar vibes.

Quote:
As for how this relates to Dylan, I realise you're saying that his artistry comes from this passion he has for metal, and I do believe that to be true, but it's also possible to imagine the existence of a luthier that is equally talented but less outspoken. I agree that it's a pointless criticism insofar as Dylan won't change his behavior or his art for the critics (and why should he?), but I can see why some people would be put off by his views of metal, art, or whatever else.
Sure, but my point is: if it puts you off, you have other options than to come into the Daemoness thread and basically say, "what gives?" It is what it is. A lot of us like it particularly for what it is. And if you don't, get a Jackson.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:36 PM   #2890
7sevenstring7
Banned

7sevenstring7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #2891
Mechanos71
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sevenstring7 View Post

Most classy Daemoness ever.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #2892
narad
SS.org Regular

I take offence to that, but it is really nice. It reminds me of those old ESP horizons that had the slanted single coil in the neck position. Really cool specs in this batch -- they seem not as themed.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:57 PM   #2893
Blytheryn
Black Winter Mafia

Quote:
I take offence to that, but it is really nice. It reminds me of those old ESP horizons that had the slanted single coil in the neck position. Really cool specs in this batch -- they seem not as themed.
*Ahem*

A seafoam Cimmerian?? Wicked. Just hoping our ESP E-II batch comes out similar to this!

EVH 5150 III Stealth
EVH 5150 III 2x12 Cab
Old 02-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #2894
narad
SS.org Regular

Yea, exactly! Forgot that they weren't slanted. Guess I'm mixing up the Kiko Loureiro with that, but hmm...that's a thought...

Old 02-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #2895
Blytheryn
Black Winter Mafia

Quote:
Yea, exactly! Forgot that they weren't slanted. Guess I'm mixing up the Kiko Loureiro with that, but hmm...that's a thought...
I think some were and some weren't. Didn't Mirages have slanted neck PU's?

EVH 5150 III Stealth
EVH 5150 III 2x12 Cab
Old 02-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #2896
narad
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blytheryn View Post
I think some were and some weren't. Didn't Mirages have slanted neck PU's?
There we are:

Old 02-21-2017, 03:00 PM   #2897
IbanezDaemon
Raptus regaliter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sevenstring7 View Post
Not often you see a solid colour finish Daemoness but that is killer!!

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr29/IbanezDaemon/sigpic24056_5.gif_zpspfxb1c8e.png
IbanezDaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:57 AM   #2898
Lorcan Ward
7slinger

[IMG]Cimmerian VII Pink Ivory burl top. Probably the first and last time I'll get to work a piece of timber like this in my career. Absolutely unique.[/IMG]

i really like how this turned out!
Lorcan Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:26 PM   #2899
Blytheryn
Black Winter Mafia

Quote:
There we are:

Damn, does that look good! I'm going to need some Kleenex...brb.

EVH 5150 III Stealth
EVH 5150 III 2x12 Cab
Old 03-14-2017, 05:44 PM   #2900
IbanezDaemon
Raptus regaliter

Gorgeous Cimmerian Baritone 7! Proof that a truly great looking
Daemoness guitar can exist without a body art or inlay concept.
Please check and subscribe to the Daemoness FB page to see more
pics of this beauty...great to see a builder take such close up pics of
their craft with a high resolution lens...supreme confidence!

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr29/IbanezDaemon/sigpic24056_5.gif_zpspfxb1c8e.png
IbanezDaemon is offline   Reply With Quote