homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #1
Zivtins
ss.org Regular

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP - ESP Horizon NT-7B - Nut Width driving me crazy

Hi guys,

New to the forum and to be honest have signed up out of desperation in order to find out if any of you guys have any knowledge regarding the ESP Horizon models and their Nut Widths.

Basically last week, I luckily landed my hands on a perfect condition ESP Standard Series Horizon NT-7. For those of you who know this guitar you'll know it has a 45mm wide nut - extremely rare on 7 strings - but I have absolutely fell in love with this.

My problem is that I also want a new Baritone and funnily enough the new E-II range from ESP includes an NT-7B - Great! However having scoured countless online dealers I have found that half of them quote this guitar as having a 45mm nut and the other half quote it as 48mm nut.

So like anyone I went to the official ESP website to check official spec and just my luck, they have just updated their range so that this guitar is now called NT-7B Hipshot and has been updated.

My instinct is to just think that the mention of 45mm on these sites is a silly copy and paste job but this would actually be unlikely across so many sites plus the spec lists quote the nut width just under the scale length, if it would have been a copy and paste from the old NT-7 sheet then it would have quoted the incorrect scale length.

And to add to the mix I just called two dealers who had the guitar in stock and asked them to manually measure the nut width... both came back with 49.5mm...

So, my question is, does anyone have any experience or memory of the N-II NT-7B's. Did they continue the 45mm nut width in the E-II models perhaps for just a certain period of time (until 2014 for example) and then updated the spec to 48mm?

Any help would be greatly appreciated lads.

Zivtins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
JD27
ESP Cult Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
45MM nuts ended with the last SS models in 2013. I have an NT-7 with the 45mm nut and I agree, it is awesome. Everything they do for 7s now is 48mm in the E-II line.

ESP - Eclipse-II
ESP - Eclipse-II FT
ESP - Horizon NT-II
ESP - Horizon NT-7
ESP - M-1
ESP - Viper
ESP - Phoenix II
ESP - Jon Donais Signature CS
ESP - Page Hamilton Signature CS
Gibson - RDs
PRS - McCarty
Fender - Strats & Jazzmasters
Ibanez - SZs
Taylor - 324e

Orange - Dual Dark 50, 2x12 Cab
Mesa - Mark V, TC-50, Single Rectifier Series 2 (FJA Mods),.50 Caliber +, 2x12 Cab
Kemper Profiler Rack
JD27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #3
Zivtins
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD27 View Post
45MM nuts ended with the last SS models in 2013. I have an NT-7 with the 45mm nut and I agree, it is awesome. Everything they do for 7s now is 48mm in the E-II line.
Cheers JD, just as I feared!

It's strange the dealers I spoke to measured them in at 49.5, normally the measurement is spot-on so I guess they've both measured the wrong bit!

I've sent a Custom Shop quote form to my local dealer asking for a SS NT-7 replica but as a Baritone and with the Satin Black finish. Just not sure if I can wait 1-2 years for it.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
dirtool
SS.org Regular

if you looking for long scale & narrow nut width 7 strings,the jackson HT7 are pretty close.
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/guitar...harcoal-burst/
dirtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
JD27
ESP Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivtins View Post
Cheers JD, just as I feared!

It's strange the dealers I spoke to measured them in at 49.5, normally the measurement is spot-on so I guess they've both measured the wrong bit!

I've sent a Custom Shop quote form to my local dealer asking for a SS NT-7 replica but as a Baritone and with the Satin Black finish. Just not sure if I can wait 1-2 years for it.
Yup, they may have also measured further down the neck and not at the nut. I got quoted at 10-12 months on one I just sent, but I think that is more realistically 12-15. Custom Shop ESPs are so worth it though.

ESP - Eclipse-II
ESP - Eclipse-II FT
ESP - Horizon NT-II
ESP - Horizon NT-7
ESP - M-1
ESP - Viper
ESP - Phoenix II
Gibson - RDs
PRS - McCarty
Ibanez - SZs
Taylor - 324e

Mesa - Mark V, TC-50, Single Rectifier Series 2 (FJA Mods),.50 Caliber +, 2x12 Cab
Kemper Profiler Rack
Old 02-17-2017, 11:40 AM   #6
Zivtins
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD27 View Post
Yup, they may have also measured further down the neck and not at the nut. I got quoted at 10-12 months on one I just sent, but I think that is more realistically 12-15. Custom Shop ESPs are so worth it though.
In your experience, does going for a real standard spec (like literally asking for an SS NT-7 but baritone) help speed up the wait time and lower cost considerably? Or would it be the similar to choosing a different finish and other small changes?

Part of me thinks if I'm going custom, I should make it special!
Old 02-17-2017, 11:47 AM   #7
Zivtins
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtool View Post
if you looking for long scale & narrow nut width 7 strings,the jackson HT7 are pretty close.
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/guitar...harcoal-burst/
Cheers mate. The look of that Jackson is definitely right up my alley! And I do play metal/djent style! Never actually played the upper-range Jackon's though so I might need to try and find some stores around London for a go. I have pretty high expectations that only really my NT-7 has met so far!
Old 02-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #8
JD27
ESP Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivtins View Post
In your experience, does going for a real standard spec (like literally asking for an SS NT-7 but baritone) help speed up the wait time and lower cost considerably? Or would it be the similar to choosing a different finish and other small changes?

Part of me thinks if I'm going custom, I should make it special!
I don't think it matters in that regard. They build everything to order, so you aren't saving time by choosing something production spec. If you go custom, you're spending a lot of money already, so you may as well get what you want.

ESP - Eclipse-II
ESP - Eclipse-II FT
ESP - Horizon NT-II
ESP - Horizon NT-7
ESP - M-1
ESP - Viper
ESP - Phoenix II
Gibson - RDs
PRS - McCarty
Ibanez - SZs
Taylor - 324e

Kemper Profiler Rack
Old 02-18-2017, 02:40 AM   #9
dymo
ss.org Regular

Hey man! I know it has already been answered but i just checked it on mine. They measured it wrong, it is 48mm.

Cheers
dymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #10
Zivtins
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dymo View Post
Hey man! I know it has already been answered but i just checked it on mine. They measured it wrong, it is 48mm.

Cheers
Awesome cheers for confirming mate, good to know it's not actually higher than 48mm! My plan is to place a Custom Shop Order now but also buy the E-II NT-7B to keep me happy in my drop-drop F# until the custom comes!
Old 02-18-2017, 05:10 PM   #11
dymo
ss.org Regular

You are welcome.

Haha,I originally planned to also tune my Horizon down to F# but I stopped at G because I didn't want the 68 bottom string (that came with the guitar) to be floppy. So far it sounds killer and for me there is no need to go lower at this point but hey you never know (;
The neck is comfy as hell, I really love it and I'm sure you won't regret it.
Oh and that's coming from a guy that has been playing Ibanez Prestige necks for the last 6-7 years.

Cheers
dymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:28 AM   #12
Zivtins
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dymo View Post
You are welcome.

Haha,I originally planned to also tune my Horizon down to F# but I stopped at G because I didn't want the 68 bottom string (that came with the guitar) to be floppy. So far it sounds killer and for me there is no need to go lower at this point but hey you never know (;
The neck is comfy as hell, I really love it and I'm sure you won't regret it.
Oh and that's coming from a guy that has been playing Ibanez Prestige necks for the last 6-7 years.

Cheers
Nice! And yeah I currently have an LTD SC-607B Tuned down drop-drop F but I plan on going up half a step for the E-II. The tuning I play will be standard (E-E on the 6 strings) but with the bottom 7th down to F# (imagine an 8-string missing the low 7th B-String!). I've calculated string tensions and will need a .072 for the F# which will be fun.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:32 AM   #13
Zivtins
ss.org Regular

If anyone else is looking for this information, turns out ESP did do a Horizon NT-7B before they re-branded to E-II and it had a 45mm Bone Nut just like the NT-7 too.

According this this guy...
http://www.guitar-sphere.com/2016/06/review-esp-horizon-nt-7b/
... It was a limited edition in 2011 so my chances of finding one in good knick for second-hand purchase are slim-to-none, will keep an eye out though!

Ps if anyone on here owns one and would be willing to sell, send me a DM!