homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #26
laxu
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have only two body wood species that I intentionally avoid: northern ash and swamp ash. I find they always sound hollow in the mids. Ash looks great though and I think that is why it is so common in many Kiesels for example.

Other than that I have had good luck with alder, mahogany and basswood bodies, mostly with maple necks though mahogany is fine too.

Pickups depend a lot on the woods and overall construction of the guitar. I would pick whatever complements the basic sound of the guitar. I currently have guitars with pickups from G&L, Suhr, Mastertone, Vintage Vibe, Wulfetone, Seymour Duncan and Kiesel. All work well in the guitars they are in. Some have had their original pickups changed either due to quality or to find something that balances their tone.

There's a lot of hype with forum favorite pickup manufacturers and models changing every few years. Several years ago everyone wanted Duncans or DiMarzios, then it was BKPs and now it's probably something else again.

laxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #27
primitiverebelworld
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ash can be a bxtch to tame speaking from my experience. Quality basswood is really good for guitar seriously.
primitiverebelworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:35 PM   #28
MoonJelly
contently discontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxu View Post
I have only two body wood species that I intentionally avoid: northern ash and swamp ash. I find they always sound hollow in the mids. Ash looks great though and I think that is why it is so common in many Kiesels for example.

Other than that I have had good luck with alder, mahogany and basswood bodies, mostly with maple necks though mahogany is fine too.

Pickups depend a lot on the woods and overall construction of the guitar. I would pick whatever complements the basic sound of the guitar. I currently have guitars with pickups from G&L, Suhr, Mastertone, Vintage Vibe, Wulfetone, Seymour Duncan and Kiesel. All work well in the guitars they are in. Some have had their original pickups changed either due to quality or to find something that balances their tone.

There's a lot of hype with forum favorite pickup manufacturers and models changing every few years. Several years ago everyone wanted Duncans or DiMarzios, then it was BKPs and now it's probably something else again.
whatev man, I'm a Dimarzio b1tch 4 lyfe! Duncan Nazgul iz the trve kvlt of bro0talz!

"We mustn't compare ourselves with regular people. We're artists."
MoonJelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:03 PM   #29
MetalHead40
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxu View Post
I just returned a new Kiesel Swamp ash bodied guitar that had a walnut neck (Bolt on) and it was not scooped in the mids at all. That thing had some hyper aggressive mids all around. A shame it had to go back for issues I had with the bridge/action because the tone was phenomenal.
MetalHead40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:23 PM   #30
feraledge
Aum Horizonyo

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyGuitars View Post
Is that the one I sent ya? I had a feeling you'd enjoy that one.

Sully
I did really dig the Custom, but this is a custom shop SD pickup: merging the Nazgul and Black Winter with a bit of the JB (though realistically, it's the aspects of the JB that the Custom nails better). I put that Custom in my So Cal and it was perfect.
feraledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:06 PM   #31
Glades
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by feraledge View Post
I did really dig the Custom, but this is a custom shop SD pickup: merging the Nazgul and Black Winter with a bit of the JB (though realistically, it's the aspects of the JB that the Custom nails better). I put that Custom in my So Cal and it was perfect.
I don't know where all the love for the Nazgul is coming from. I have one in my KM-7 and I can't pickup the guitar without thinking about how much I dislike it. So harsh and shrilly. Need to choose a replacement soon.

Here is a spinoff question:
Warm guitar + Bright Pickup
or
Bright guitar + Warm Pickup?
Glades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:42 PM   #32
Science_Penguin
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glades View Post
or
Both?

Les Pauls benefit real heavily from brighter pickups, and I love the sound of the Tone Zone in a Strat.

Hell, I can't say I haven't put bright pickups in a bright guitar and gotten satisfying results either.
Science_Penguin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:33 AM   #33
mnemonic
Custom User Title

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
I don't know where all the love for the Nazgul is coming from. I have one in my KM-7 and I can't pickup the guitar without thinking about how much I dislike it. So harsh and shrilly. Need to choose a replacement soon.

or
I'd much rather try to tame a bright guitar than to try to brighten a dark one. I've had dark guitars in the past and I've struggled to make them something they're not. It's a lot easier to remove something that's there than to add something that isn't.
mnemonic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:33 AM   #34
Petar Bogdanov
SS.org Regular

Quote:

or
Those are two different sounds. Do you want a bright attack and dark sustain, or medium attack and bright sustain? The only correct answer is both.
Petar Bogdanov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:20 AM   #35
Lorcan Ward
7slinger

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:

or
The KM7 is a very bright guitar since its 26.5" with a swamp ash body. The Nazgul works much better in mahogany or similar warmer sounding guitars. The highs are much rounder while the ceramic magnet tightens up the lows.
Lorcan Ward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #36
gnoll
SS.org Regular

I'm not too bothered about the wood species in my electrics. For pickup, EMG 81 bridge.
gnoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #37
Glades
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan Ward View Post
The KM7 is a very bright guitar since its 26.5" with a swamp ash body. The Nazgul works much better in mahogany or similar warmer sounding guitars. The highs are much rounder while the ceramic magnet tightens up the lows.

What are some warm neck and bridge pickups in the BKP and SD line? Would BKP alnico blackhawks be overkill or too muddy?
Glades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #38
HeavyMetal4Ever
SS.org Regular

I look at every guitar as a combination of all the parts with a healthy dose of random quirks and properties thrown in for good measure.

For me, it comes down to trying lots of combinations and lucking into one that you like.

Some combos I've liked are an ESP M-II with a JB that I hated at first but ended up growing on me, a CrunchLab in an RG550 reissue and an Evo2 in an RG1570.

Some combos I didn't like are an Invader in the RG1570, which was a muddy as you'd expect and the Evo2 in a Charvel Fusion Custom that surprised me with a flubby bottom end that the RG1570 didn't have. Both guitars shared similar parts specs (both basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fret board) but differed in scale length.
HeavyMetal4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #39
oracles
Australian in Canda

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
I don't know where all the love for the Nazgul is coming from.
Me either, it's absolute garbage. I'd rather use INF3/4 pickups than a Nazgul.

What happened to people? what… Djent or some sh*t? Is that it? Now we’re all supposed to hug each other to non-linear time signatures while singing about the wonders of Space - the final frontier? - Travis Ryan, Cattle Decapitation.

ENGL. Aristides. BLK/TRI.
oracles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:43 PM   #40
HeavyMetal4Ever
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracles View Post
With a name like Nazgul I always thought it would sound like a Swedish Black Metal EP from 1990, all treble and fizz. Is this about right?
HeavyMetal4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:28 AM   #41
chopeth
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracles View Post
Nah, it isn't that bad
chopeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:57 AM   #42
Jake
Done buying guitars

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
It used to be all the rage around here: the Dimarzio Crunchlab. I love this pickups. It just does everything so well in a 6 and 7 string.

But honestly the BKP Aftermath is a phenomenal pickup as well and really does whatever I could want in a high gain pickup. I've got a juggernaut in my RGA321f and it's a little bit more agressive but similar to the aftermath but I still think the Aftermath is more balanced IMO.

I proudly play:
EBMM
ESP
Fractal Audio
Ibanez
Jackson
PRS
Strandberg
Jake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:20 AM   #43
KnightBrolaire
Sun Seeker

Quote:
What are some warm neck and bridge pickups in the BKP and SD line? Would BKP alnico blackhawks be overkill or too muddy?
warpigs are generally considered to be warmer pickups.

guitars:
Kiesel VM8 with lithium pickups
Kiesel V8 with lundgren M8s
Strandberg Boden CS8 with Instrumental SFTY3-8 pickups
Overload Rhea 8 with Elysian TAP8 (bridge) /Cold Sweat (neck)
Schecter Avenger 8 with Nazgul/Sentient
warmoth baritone with lace dissonant aggressors
kiesel DC600 with lithiums
amps:
kemper
Mesa Boogie F30
Pickup Demos: https://soundcloud.com/skwisgaar-sandervaal
68W/Medic
KnightBrolaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:27 AM   #44
Wizard of Ozz
Arch-Mage of Metal

Alder... SD JB, Distortion, EMG81.
Wizard of Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:38 PM   #45
AngstRiddenDreams
Filthy Casual

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Come on, we all know wood has no effect in tone...

I'm a really big fan of my Aftermath bridge and Coldsweat neck in my PRS Custom 24 SE.
The Aftermath took this weird turn from being hyped and then sh1t on. But I like it a lot. I play mostly hardcore/mathcore and death metal and it's great. The aggressive midrange benefits from digging in hard. My favorite tone from it actually is splitting the Aftermath. I've found it gives a tone close to a pissed off telecaster which I use for faster riffs with fuzzy tones. The full humbucker setting works surprisingly well for rock and punk too.

Coldsweat is the neck pickup tone IMO. It's smooth and tubular, but somehow clear. The notes still bloom together in the sustain but have an articulated attack. Chimey clean tones that break up well. The inner/outer pickup split of the two cops strat tones too!

TL;DR: Aftermath Bridge/Coldsweat Neck is an insanely versatile combo with a predisposition for metal. Would recommend.

I just wasted your time.
AngstRiddenDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:54 PM   #46
eugeneelgr
SS.org Regular

I think mahagany bodies with a maple top are great. Very versatile as well if you ever want to use it for other genres. Neck wise I'm torn between mahogany and rosewood. Mahogany is a little fatter sounding, but rosewood adds a little bit more sizzle and cut in the high end(Though I have started rolling off some of my tone control to mimic a mahogany neck). Fretboards wise I've gone ebony for my past 3 acquisitions and never looked back, though its more for how smooth it feels.

Strandberg Made To Measure #67(https://www.facebook.com/eugeneelgr/...6181758&type=3)
Suhr Modern Custom 6
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Axe Fx II
Mackie HD1221
eugeneelgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #47
Heroooh
Deer Napkin

Swamp Ash+Painkillers, my go to combo for everything

Ambient/Swag Mountain music inspired by the Swiss Alps. Give it a listen if your ears can handle it...

https://soundcloud.com/emil-selin/aargau

Heroooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:15 PM   #48
KnightBrolaire
Sun Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroooh View Post
Swamp Ash+Painkillers, my go to combo for everything
isn't that super bright? I've heard that painkillers have a ton of uppermids that give it a scrapey ice-picky sound in brighter woods.

guitars:
Kiesel VM8 with lithium pickups
Kiesel V8 with lundgren M8s
Strandberg Boden CS8 with Instrumental SFTY3-8 pickups
Overload Rhea 8 with Elysian TAP8 (bridge) /Cold Sweat (neck)
Schecter Avenger 8 with Nazgul/Sentient
warmoth baritone with lace dissonant aggressors
kiesel DC600 with lithiums
amps:
kemper
Mesa Boogie F30
Pickup Demos: https://soundcloud.com/skwisgaar-sandervaal
68W/Medic
KnightBrolaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:24 PM   #49
Heroooh
Deer Napkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightBrolaire View Post
isn't that super bright? I've heard that painkillers have a ton of uppermids that give it a scrapey ice-picky sound in brighter woods.
Surprisingly not as bright as you'd expect. Its a very airy combo with plenty of clarity and snap. Its close of being ice-picky but doesnt really surpass the uncomfortable level.
My amp setting are super bright too and dont make my tone too bright either(bass just above zero and mid+treble over at one o'clock)

Ambient/Swag Mountain music inspired by the Swiss Alps. Give it a listen if your ears can handle it...

https://soundcloud.com/emil-selin/aargau

Heroooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:31 PM   #50
Desolate1
SS.org Regular

Maple neck thru, ebony board, mahogany wings, maple top with Black Winter's. I still need to find a pickup set for my ash bodied maple topped KM7 that I like. I f'ing hate the Nazgul and Sentient that it came with. I have been thinking a set of C-Pig's but I am still kicking around a few other ideas.
Desolate1 is offline   Reply With Quote