homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:41 AM   #1
BMO
Metal Toan Phreak

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
String brand opinions?

Hey guys! I've been experimenting on my Ibanez with different string gauges in drop tunings and never could quite get it right for drop A (AEADF#B). Just curious on two different brands. I saw Dunlop makes heavy core strings and the 7 string 10-60 set (with 10 thrown out) apparently works great for drop A, but I heard from a few people that these strings have problems when it comes to the low end and palm muting. Also I've never used em so I have no idea how they hold up agewise as my hands can rust some strings FAST. It's so bad I can't use d'addario at all because they last literally 2 days and rust all over. Surprisingly Ernie Ball held up the best somfar for me. I use Ernie Balls in drop B right now and was wondering, is there a good set in 25.5 scale for drop A? I'm kinda torn between these brands so any opinions are appreciated also if anyone wants to hijack the thread with a string gauge issue feel free

BMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:56 PM   #2
Nlelith
SS.org Regular

I think you'll have to try them out yourself... I have destructive sweat too, and Dunlops rust on it in a day or two. EB can hold on a little longer, and D'addario lasts months for me. That being said, if your rust problems are only about plain strings, then I'd suggest to buy single strings mix of plain Elixir Nanowebs + whatever wounds you like.
Nlelith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:18 PM   #3
ASoC
Downpicker \m/

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Agree that, like pretty much everything else in guitar playing, you're just going to have to try strings until you find some that you like. I have pretty caustic sweat that rusts the strings quickly as well and I like D'addario the best. I've never had a string set go longer than a week without getting rusty, but the D'addarios feel the best to my fingers. I usually leave them on for way longer than I should and just use new ones if I'm recording or cleaning up a guitar.

1998 RG7620 2000 RG7421 1992 RG565 1991 RG550

William Louis Berblinger
March 27, 1940 - January 22, 2015

Blanca Mora
July 9, 1969 - February 22, 2015
ASoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:25 AM   #4
laxu
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've stuck with D'Addario mostly, to me they seem the best balance of price and quality. While I thought for example Snake Oil brand strings sounded a bit better, they cost enough extra to not be worth it. Stopped using DR strings at one point because I kept getting strings that could not be intonated. I also really like the colored string ends and the packaging of D'Addarios.
laxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:03 AM   #5
BMO
Metal Toan Phreak

These are all very true. I'm about to order a set of heavy cores as well as a set of 8 string slinkys (gonna throw out the highest and lowest strings, one of my favorite guitarists does this) and see which is better suited for the tuning by my preferences. I used to be a die hard d'addario guy until i noticed their strings were quickly rusting away on me. I ordered their NYXLs once and overnight they were tarnished, so disappointed. I used DRs once and they weren't for me. I'm an EB guy, but just figuring out the proper tension and removing fret buzz is almost impossible when given 90billion gauge options lol I'm very indecisive! I'm the kind of guy who can sit for 15 minutes in the store thinking about which ice cream flavor to buy that week!!!
Old 01-04-2017, 03:23 AM   #6
sawtoothscream
SS.org Regular

Tried most of them and have been using Dr since 07 I think. Just feel right for me

Ibanez, squire tele, Epiphone strat
Peavy 6505+ 112, Randall rx 120 stack
digitech loop, boss ns2
sawtoothscream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:20 AM   #7
blacai
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You could try the new ones from Wylde Audio and let us know :P
https://www.instagram.com/p/BOz-yHoA...y=zakkwyldebls

I have a purple one.
blacai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:17 PM   #8
PBC
Composition Ontology

Probably your best bet is a custom or drop set from Cleartone. More expensive than Ernie ball but will last much longer.
PBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:16 PM   #9
Mathemagician
SS.org Regular

You might want to try the Ernie ball cobalts 10-62 set for drop A. And just toss the high A. The cobalt strings IMO last a long time, one set I haven't changed in a year out of laziness and they are in way better shape than they should be.
Mathemagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:40 PM   #10
oracles
Australian in Canda

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBC View Post
Cleartone.
The one positive thing I have to say about Cleartone is that they don't lie to you. Those strings are clearly devoid of all tone.

What happened to people? what… Djent or some sh*t? Is that it? Now we’re all supposed to hug each other to non-linear time signatures while singing about the wonders of Space - the final frontier? - Travis Ryan, Cattle Decapitation.

ENGL. Aristides. BLK/TRI.
oracles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:58 PM   #11
jsmalleus
SS.org Regular

I use the heavy core most of the time for my 7 in B standard when gigging and they hold up pretty well. I'm kinda ocd about washing my hands before I play and during breaks though, so I don't usually burn through strings very quickly. With a 6-er in drop A, maybe try out the Elixir baritone set (12-16-22-38-52-68)?
jsmalleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:03 PM   #12
robski92
SS.org Regular

I use the D'Addario NYXL 10-59 set for drop A on my RG1527. They sound and feel fantastic to me.
robski92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:33 PM   #13
noise in my mind
SS.org Regular

I have tried them all, and the only one's that don't corrode from my mutant sweat are elixirs.
noise in my mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:35 PM   #14
feraledge
Aum Horizonyo

Feedback Score: 21 reviews
The only strings I actively disliked were Dunlop HeavyCores. Sounded dead in a day. Used EBs for a long time, but only out of habit. Curt Mangan are my favorite, I have an endorsement with them, but to be totally honest, D'Addario has a set I'm really liking right now and I can buy them without a minimum for a custom set and a few at a time instead of a dozen for about $.50 less per pack than getting customs through Mangan. Nothing against them, I'm just broke right now, so I'm not trying to fix it yet. No complaints about D'Addario's and the string recycling program is rad.
Haven't tried NYXLs, but building up points for a set. I'm not holding my breath and am actually stoked to think that I prefer cheaper strings instead of expensive ones in the end.
feraledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:20 PM   #15
Nlelith
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracles View Post
The one positive thing I have to say about Cleartone is that they don't lie to you. Those strings are clearly devoid of all tone.
See, I did like the tone of them... But they did rust horribly on my sweat. Everything is very individual when it comes to strings.
Nlelith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:57 PM   #16
BMO
Metal Toan Phreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by feraledge View Post
The only strings I actively disliked were Dunlop HeavyCores. Sounded dead in a day. Used EBs for a long time, but only out of habit. Curt Mangan are my favorite, I have an endorsement with them, but to be totally honest, D'Addario has a set I'm really liking right now and I can buy them without a minimum for a custom set and a few at a time instead of a dozen for about $.50 less per pack than getting customs through Mangan. Nothing against them, I'm just broke right now, so I'm not trying to fix it yet. No complaints about D'Addario's and the string recycling program is rad.
Haven't tried NYXLs, but building up points for a set. I'm not holding my breath and am actually stoked to think that I prefer cheaper strings instead of expensive ones in the end.

The thing I can tell you psitively about NYXLs is that straight on after being put on and stretched and tuned, they don't sound new. They sound like that perfect broken in point.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:32 PM   #17
TheWarAgainstTime
"TWAT" for short

Feedback Score: 26 reviews
I think your best bet with standard sets will either be the lighter D'addario baritone set (13, 17, 26, 36, 46, 62) or a LaBella set online. LaBella has several 7 string sets that would work out great for drop A depending on your taste (just toss the top string) including a 9-64, 10-64, and 10-70.

"Who'd have thought silence would be such a difficult thing to achieve in br00t4lz?"-sevenstringj
TheWarAgainstTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:48 AM   #18
GregoryP
ss.org Regular

I'm a big fan of Dean Markley Blue Steel strings. They last quite long and have a really clear tone.
GregoryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:18 AM   #19
Semi-pro
SS.org Regular

I assume eveyone washes their hands each time before playing? Because that's one huge factor affecting the longevity of strings, and neglecting that basically voids any comparison, at least in my book.

Gtr & vocals @ HUMAVOID & AMORAL
my instagram (mostly gear and live pics)
Semi-pro is online now   Reply With Quote