homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:27 PM   #51
Herrick
Hello Mangs

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm not sure what you people mean about the rhythm sounding forced. It sounds natural enough to me. Reminds me of Rope Ends. It doesn't have that "random" riffing I've heard in some of the Djent stuff. Or maybe off beat rhythms and random riffing are two different things?

What are some good examples of weird rhythms that don't sound forced?

DISPLAY Thy Breasts, my Julia!
Herrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #52
AdamMaz
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankerness View Post
One section reminded me of a real classic:

ONE!

Nothing wrong with me!

TWO!

Nothing wrong with me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrick View Post
Me too. It's extremely rare for a song to be memorable after a couple listens. This one's been stuck in my head for two days now.
All the hype of this track from this thread, I went straight for this song and am insta-hooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralyks View Post
I'm only 2 listens into Reasons and its stuck in my head. And honestly, I love the off-beat rhythms, as forced as they sound.
100% agreed.
AdamMaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #53
Xaios
Foolish Mortal

Quote:
RE: "The Daniel Gildenlow show," the old drummer and bassist added a TON of personality. That drummer was one of the loosest-sounding guys out there and would add tons of insanely technical embellishments to the songs while sounding totally casual (ex, the intro to Rope Ends, or Idioglossia). Kristoffer Gildenlow also added a ton of fills and weird tones and interesting counter-bass parts to the songs (ex the opening of Waking Every God or the bridge to In the Flesh) that I just haven't heard on anything since he left.
I should probably explain a bit more what I meant by this. Obviously Pain of Salvation, both past and present, features some monster musicians who aren't Daniel Gildenlow. I quite like Johan Hallgren's playing, and the guy could definitely sing (as evidenced by the BE concert). However, the writing and style of the band is definitely dictated by Daniel Gildenlow, and even when the music sounds fully cohesive in a band-centric manner, there's absolutely no doubt who's brainchild you're hearing.

I suppose the closest example I can think of is Children of Bodom. Another band that features some monster musicians, and it's not like they never get a chance to shine, as anyone who's heard Janne Wirman's solos can attest to. At the end of the day though, everyone else in the band basically orbits around Alexi Laiho; where he leads, they follow.

Revenge is a dish best served with nice biscuits.
Read the rules, fools!
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:09 PM   #54
vividox
SS.org Regular

Quote:
I'm not sure what you people mean about the rhythm sounding forced. It sounds natural enough to me. Reminds me of Rope Ends. It doesn't have that "random" riffing I've heard in some of the Djent stuff. Or maybe off beat rhythms and random riffing are two different things?

It's just subjective semantics. In general: the more unusual, the more "forced", and "unusual" is going to vary from person to person.
vividox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #55
wankerness
SS.org Regular

Quote:

A lot of the weird rhythms on earlier Pain of Salvation legitimately seem to be written around the natural flow of the lyrics. "Used," the bridge on "In the Flesh," "Chain Sling," and "Dedication" are a few of the major examples that immediately come to mind. Rope Ends is one where it is more "forced," but it's supposed to be really spiky considering the mental state of the subject of the song. I have no idea what Reasons is about, so maybe that's what's going on here, but it just sounded a lot to me like those bedroom djent songs where it's like "if it was in time it would be boring, so let's shift everything over a sixteenth note or two so it is OFF and EDGY!!!" The only example I can think of from albums I've listened to more than twice would be those repeating powerchord palm mute riffs that happen throughout Be as transitions, but those don't sound nearly as off, they have more of a groove.
wankerness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:16 PM   #56
Herrick
Hello Mangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividox View Post
It's just subjective semantics. In general: the more unusual, the more "forced", and "unusual" is going to vary from person to person.
I see.

The album has been leaked.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:59 PM   #57
Vletrmx
ζ

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
To jump on the "Reasons sounds like XYZ..." bandwagon, it reminds me of that old Limp Bizkit studio footage where Fred Durst is trying to come up with riffs after their guitarist quit.
Vletrmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:33 AM   #58
Demiurge
Intrepid Jackass

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I'm terrible at keeping track of release dates, but the new record dropped yesterday?!

Just ordered the vinyl and started listening to a stream. So far so good!

EDIT: Finished the first listen. It's definitely a record that will need multiple listens to 'get'. They really didn't "bring the metal back" all the way- there are more mellow parts than heavy parts. I initially wanted to say that it splits the difference between the Road Salt albums and those that came before in terms of tone but while RS 1&2 were kind of stripped-down the mellow parts here are more deeply-arranged. I could totally live without "Reasons"; even though the song preceding it had some heavier parts towards the end it just doesn't fit.

"I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip." -George Costanza
Demiurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:06 PM   #59
vividox
SS.org Regular

Man, I remember when Spotify had alerts for album releases. That was a cool feature that they got rid of because they hate people.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:17 PM   #60
InHiding
SS.org Regular

This album is just bad...
InHiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:24 AM   #61
chopeth
SS.org Regular

Pretty boring I'd better say. Disappointed
chopeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #62
Herrick
Hello Mangs

I like the first 6 songs but the last 4 haven't done much for me.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #63
JSanta
SS.org Regular

Maybe it's just me getting older, but these guys were basically my soundtrack for my late teens and early 20s. Everything up to Be (and some awesome tracks on Scarsick) hit the mark for me. On those first albums, there wasn't a song that I just didn't love. I can still go back and listen to those albums with the same appreciation. The Road Salt stuff and this album just miss the mark as far as I'm concerned. Daniel is supremely talented, I respect the heck out of him. Maybe it's like comparing old and new DT. Appreciate it for what it is and not for what it isn't?
JSanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #64
jameslabrie
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanta View Post
Maybe it's just me getting older, but these guys were basically my soundtrack for my late teens and early 20s. Everything up to Be (and some awesome tracks on Scarsick) hit the mark for me. On those first albums, there wasn't a song that I just didn't love. I can still go back and listen to those albums with the same appreciation. The Road Salt stuff and this album just miss the mark as far as I'm concerned. Daniel is supremely talented, I respect the heck out of him. Maybe it's like comparing old and new DT. Appreciate it for what it is and not for what it isn't?
This describes me pretty much as well, with the difference that I love Road Salt 1, 2 had its moments, but the concept just felt a bit stale for me since it went a year or two between the releases and I've never clicked with that second disc. Falling Home is also an album which just doesn't interest me, but I might get back to that now that the line-up seems to be stable again. What I think about the new release I'll just copy what I wrote on the MP.com forum:

"Wow, I'm absolutely floored. After my first listen I felt quite empty, perhaps numb from all the emotion and didn't really know what to think. Now on my fifth or sixth I've "got it". It's perhaps their best album. Still, it's very different from everything they've done before, it's not great in the same way as TPE or Remedy Lane is great. The album is heavy and I don't mean that in terms of musicality, it's like a door into the heart of darkness within Daniel. Not an easy listen, but still perfect in every way for what it set out to accomplish. I love it, instant classic.

I heartily recommend the Metal Talks episode with Daniel on Spotify where he talks about the album, having the lyrics explained so you can relate them to them while listening to the songs is absolutely essential to make the most of this album."

I'll add to this that the mix bothered me at first, especially the drums I thought sounded quite .... from day one, but after listening to the Metal Talks thingy on Spotify I can now appreciate it.

I wish I hadn't chosen my username "jameslabrie".
jameslabrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:36 AM   #65
DLG
not guthrie govan

New album has its moments, but overall, it's just not that great.

It's missing too many of the things that made me fall in love with PoS.

The vocals seem very basic and tame. No more of those moments when there are three difference vocal melodies going on at the same time, no really huge harmonies any more, no crazy high notes. Daniel still has a great voice, he just isn't that exciting anymore.

I like some stuff on the album. The first couple tracks are decent. I like Meaningless more than I did when it came out.

Full Throttle Tribe has a cool chorus, but also a bunch of boring moments.

The second half of the album is pretty boring overall. That last song has no business lasting 15 minutes.

Wish there were more keyboards too.

Overall, not crappy, but not coming close to PoS in their prime in any way.
DLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:40 AM   #66
Dyingsea
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Agreed, with the 2nd half of the album feeling a bit drawn out and stale per-se. I also wish there were more keyboards and general atmosphere. Still need more time to ingest it all.
Dyingsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #67
vividox
SS.org Regular

So far my only real impression is: this is emotionally heavy. I feel like I should be crying by the end of it, but I don't really know why yet. I'll definitely need to check out that Metal Talks episode.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:24 PM   #68
Herrick
Hello Mangs

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLG View Post
New album has its moments, but overall, it's just not that great.

It's missing too many of the things that made me fall in love with PoS.

The vocals seem very basic and tame. No more of those moments when there are three difference vocal melodies going on at the same time, no really huge harmonies any more, no crazy high notes. Daniel still has a great voice, he just isn't that exciting anymore.

I like some stuff on the album. The first couple tracks are decent. I like Meaningless more than I did when it came out.

Full Throttle Tribe has a cool chorus, but also a bunch of boring moments.

The second half of the album is pretty boring overall. That last song has no business lasting 15 minutes.

Wish there were more keyboards too.

Overall, not crappy, but not coming close to PoS in their prime in any way.
Pretty much agreed but I like all of Full Throttle Tribe.

The Passing Light of Day (last track) doesn't get kinda good until the half way point. It kind of reminds me a little of Silverchair for some reason.

The guitar work is underwhelming and I don't mean just the lack of guitar solos. I'd say the album is about as good as Scarsick was...for me anyway.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:47 PM   #69
Dyingsea
SS.org Regular

I think that's about right for me too. It's about like Scarsick. Not really sure if it's good or not.
Dyingsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:37 PM   #70
wankerness
SS.org Regular

As Scarsick is about my least favorite album of all time, this discussion has me very apprehensive about listening to this!
wankerness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:58 PM   #71
Xaios
Foolish Mortal

Quote:
As Scarsick is about my least favorite album of all time, this discussion has me very apprehensive about listening to this!
Ditto. While it's not the worst thing I've ever heard, it really only has 3 songs I like (Disco Queen, Kingdom of Loss & Enter Rain). I *wanted* to love it, and even felt like I just didn't get it based on the brilliance of all their prior albums, but eventually that gave way to the realization that, yeah, it just wasn't good.

Revenge is a dish best served with nice biscuits.
Read the rules, fools!
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:43 AM   #72
DLG
not guthrie govan

Both Scarsick and Be are cringy to me. This one isn't cringy, it's just not that good.

There are at least three songs on this album I'd rather listen to than all of Scarsick and Be.
DLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #73
Ralyks
The One Who Knocks

I like the new album... right now. We'll see how it holds up. At least, my favorite thing under the PoS label since Remedy Lane. I didn't HATE Scarsick, Be was a bit too out there for me, and the Road Salt albums, well, REALLY had to be in the mood for those albums.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
- Hunter S. Thompson
Ralyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:13 PM   #74
vilk
Very Regular

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I just cannot tell you how many times I read this thread title as Pain of Salvation about to bring the black metal

Listen, I'm sorry.
vilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:59 AM   #75
chopeth
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilk View Post
I just cannot tell you how many times I read this thread title as Pain of Salvation about to bring the black metal
Yeah, it happened to me too , read to quick and be a little bit obsessed with BM
chopeth is offline   Reply With Quote