homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #1
chiliphil1
ss.org Regular

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need serious amp opinions

Hey guys, so I've been using a Mesa tremoverb for the last couple of months and I really like what I'm getting from it. I'm having some issues though. I made a thread on here about the orange channel cutting out, I called my local amp shop and they said it would probably be a +/- $200 to take care of it. However, today I was playing it and the whole amp went dead, a pop and then nothing.

At this point I'm sitting here with a couple of options and I'm not sure which way to go.. Problem 1, I only paid $650 for the amp, it was a KILLER deal so I jumped on it. The good news is that I bought it through guitar center so I can return it if need be.

So, the options I see them are 1. I can take this to the amp shop and for $65 they'll tell me what's wrong, could be $50 or $500. 2, return this amp to the store and purchase a newer 3 channel dual/triple. 3. I can try to buy another tremoverb.

Basically, with the repair it's an unknown, it could take anything to repair it, could be cheap, could be expensive. No matter what I am out at least $65, if it costs $500 to repair and I decide not to repair it I'm still out the $65. If I return it, which is what I'm thinking I would have $650 to spend and would need to add +/- $300 to replace it which could be more or less than the cost to repair the one I have.

My main thing is this, if it's going to be a big fix I would rather not loose the $65 to find out I don't want to pay for the repairs. If I take it back and buy another amp my concern is going from the 2 channel tremoverb to a 3 channel dual/triple. I've never played a 3 channel and I have heard that they're fizzy, harsh, and terrible at lower volume.. All of the things the tremoverb isn't.

So, I would like opinions on which way you would go if it was you? Would you bother with the estimate on the repair or just go with a different amp?

For anyone who has played a 2 channel AND a 3 channel what were the differences? Would I be disappointed going from a 2 to a 3?

For anyone who plays a 3 channel, would you say it's fizzy? How does it handle at low volume? Like a little louder than TV volume?

Thanks for any help or opinions. I know you guys can't tell me what to do, just wondering how people who may have more experience would handle the situation.

Thank you.

chiliphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:34 PM   #2
budda
Guiterrorizer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Rent a triple rec (skip the dual). If you don't like it, don't get it.

It sounds like you really like the amp - pay for the diagnosis. Pick your top number for repairs, and if it's below that then get it fixed.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
Drew
Fear the Polo!

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Does the shop put the $65 towards the cost of subsequent repairs? If so, that's a no brainer. If not, I mean, that's an odd policy, but I'd still repair it.

IMO, the 2ch/3ch thing isn't as big a deal as it's made out to be, especially because there IS a fair difference between the Tremoverb and the rest of the Rectifier line - they're a bit warmer, middier, and popular outside of the metal world. If you like that amp, you may like a modern Dual or Triple too, but it's a different beast.

To me, a pop then silence sounds a lot like a blown fuse. Is the jewel light out too? I suspect the blown fuse is related to whatever the problem is in Ch 2. Were you in Chn 2 when the amp went dead?

Also, is your local amp shop an authorized Mesa repair center? If not, find one. They'll know the amp a little better, and it may even be cheaper there.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

Check out my debut album, Zero Mantra, on iTunes!
http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:16 PM   #4
chiliphil1
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Does the shop put the $65 towards the cost of subsequent repairs? If so, that's a no brainer. If not, I mean, that's an odd policy, but I'd still repair it.

IMO, the 2ch/3ch thing isn't as big a deal as it's made out to be, especially because there IS a fair difference between the Tremoverb and the rest of the Rectifier line - they're a bit warmer, middier, and popular outside of the metal world. If you like that amp, you may like a modern Dual or Triple too, but it's a different beast.

To me, a pop then silence sounds a lot like a blown fuse. Is the jewel light out too? I suspect the blown fuse is related to whatever the problem is in Ch 2. Were you in Chn 2 when the amp went dead?

Also, is your local amp shop an authorized Mesa repair center? If not, find one. They'll know the amp a little better, and it may even be cheaper there.
Yes, the $65 goes toward the repair, however if it's say 5-600 to repair it I won't be doing it and they keep the $65.. If it's say $100, then I would just owe them $45.

The shop is an authorized Mesa repair center, 1 of 2 in my state and 100 miles from me.

I agree with the blown fuse as nothing works, no jewel, nothing. Something inside is screwed and it's caused the fuse to go. I was playing on the Red channel, which was the good one, orange was having the problem.

I'm looking for deals on other amps at the moment and have come across a few for only about $200 more than this one, that was my "limit" for repairs so I'm still within budget. My thing is just whether or not I would like the 3 channel. I do like how the ToV is but I don't really care for the mid thing, I keep them about 9:00 as it is. I just wonder if the new ones would have the "buzzsaw" thing i have heard about.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:43 PM   #5
budda
Guiterrorizer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How far are you from said GC? Can you rent a recto? That's the best way to find out if you like one without actually buying one.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:07 PM   #6
Aso
EDM Sludge Music

Have you contacted Guitar Center about returning it? Maybe they would offer to repair it for you since if you returned it they would have to fix it anyway.
Aso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:10 PM   #7
chiliphil1
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by budda View Post
How far are you from said GC? Can you rent a recto? That's the best way to find out if you like one without actually buying one.
No one near me carries Mesa. I think Sam Ash is the closest and that's about 90 miles and I have no idea if they do rentals.. There is a 3 channel triple for sale about 80-90 miles from me that I'm sure i could try out.

At this point though, I'm thinking I may just stick with a ToV rather than taking a chance on something i may not like. I found one for $950 shipped in mint condition with new tubes. I think I may go that way.

Only thing there is that the one I have is a '95, the other is a 2000, so I don't know if there are differences there, people say the earlier solo heads were better (not pre 500) just '94-'96. I don't know if that applies to the ToV or not.

Edit, meant to mention that I'm pretty much down to those 2. 3 channel tripple for $1k or ToV for $950. That or order from GC online for the return policy but get shafted with tax and shipping, it would cost me $1,100 for a ToV from them.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:13 PM   #8
chiliphil1
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aso View Post
Have you contacted Guitar Center about returning it? Maybe they would offer to repair it for you since if you returned it they would have to fix it anyway.
Yep, they said if I didn't buy the pro coverage the only option I have is to return it and as long as it isn't "accidental damage" they'll take it back.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #9
chiliphil1
ss.org Regular

Sorry to be so picky guys, I've been tone chasing for so long I can't even count the number of amps I've been through and finally found home with the ToV, so I just don't want to think "a recto is a recto" and order a 3 channel or whatever and then not like it.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:04 PM   #10
vick1000
SS.org Regular

Blowing a fuse is probably more than just a bad LDR, sounds like you got it cheap for a reason. I would take it back and let GC deal with it.

The 3ch are very different tonally, they are more scooped and compressed, more "modern" gain structure, and the tone stack reacts very differently, especially on the modern channel. If all you use is the orange channel, you may be satisfied with a newer 3ch. The problem is, there was a range of years when the 3ch first arrived, that they wholly and totally sucked @$$. This was from initial release to about 2006, if I remeber correctly.

You may be pleased with a Single Rec if you don't need the headroom for cleans at stage volume. You could also go for a Stilleto if you like more of a modded JCM800 feel. But I would probably spend a little more and get a more "modern" amp that can do the 2ch Rec tone, like a VHT/Fryette UL or just go digital.

I went digital after many years of rolling amps, and it has been well worth it. I still love the idea of tube amps, and it's somewhat easier to get a rig built from known gear. But the right FRFR setup with my AX8 has left me completely fufilled. I just love good amps, but even if I had them, they probably would not get much play time now.

Problem is it is not cheap. You can get a great tube amp setup, say a few pedals, a 5150/6505 range amp, and decent 412 for say $1200 average. While a good modeler like the Axe FX Ultra is going to hit you for around $1K used, and a good FRFR solution for about the same. While the amp/cab route nets you THAT particular tone range, the digital is practically endless and can do THAT as well.

If you just want a good tube amp setup, there are better values out there than the Rec series. I don't know your situation, but I think I would try them, then save up and go digital and end the tone chasing for good, well at least for far longer.

Just curious, what else are you running in your rig, what style of music are you playing, do you gig with it, and what did you like about the TremoV?
vick1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:37 PM   #11
chiliphil1
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vick1000 View Post
Blowing a fuse is probably more than just a bad LDR, sounds like you got it cheap for a reason. I would take it back and let GC deal with it.

The 3ch are very different tonally, they are more scooped and compressed, more "modern" gain structure, and the tone stack reacts very differently, especially on the modern channel. If all you use is the orange channel, you may be satisfied with a newer 3ch. The problem is, there was a range of years when the 3ch first arrived, that they wholly and totally sucked @$$. This was from initial release to about 2006, if I remeber correctly.

You may be pleased with a Single Rec if you don't need the headroom for cleans at stage volume. You could also go for a Stilleto if you like more of a modded JCM800 feel. But I would probably spend a little more and get a more "modern" amp that can do the 2ch Rec tone, like a VHT CL or just go digital.

I went digital after many years of rolling amps, and it has been well worth it. I still love the idea of tube amps, and it's somewhat easier to get a rig built from known gear. But the right FRFR setup with my AX8 has left me completely fufilled. I just love good amps, but even if I had them, they probably would not get much play time now.

Problem is it is not cheap. You can get a great tube amp setup, say a few pedals, a 5150/6505 range amp, and decent 412 for say $1200 average. While a good modeler like the Axe FX Ultra is going to hit you for around $1K used, and a good FRFR solution for about the same. While the amp/cab route nets you THAT particular tone range, the digital is practically endless and can do THAT as well.

If you just want a good tube amp setup, there are better values out there than the Rec series. I don't know your situation, but I think I would try them, then save up and go digital and end the tone chasing for good, well at least for far longer.

Just curious, what else are you running in your rig, what style of music are you playing, do you gig with it, and what did you like about the TremoV?
As far as the rig goes, just the amp, cab, tube screamer, and tuner. I don't really play lead, so don't particularly need reverbs or delays.

As far as the other stuff, I'm just not interested in the digital items. I like a big, heavy, hot, loud tube amp.

Really, the appeal of the ToV was that it didn't sound like a chainsaw. Sure, it had that abrasive top end but it was fairly easy to set the eq to a point where it was thick and cutting but NOT tinny or harsh. I fear that with a 3 channel I may not have that option and that's what bothers me.

Style of music would be hard rock I guess? Maybe into some metal but I don't really do the technical stuff, more just the fast chug thing with a little thrash feel. I also like to dabble in classic rock type tones as well. I do some covers which range from AC/DC to Ozzy, Metallica, and onward. I would say my ideal sound is the AJFA to black album just a thick wall of sound that has that super tight feel with the occasional farty speaker noise..

I've had a mark V, if you were going to suggest that and while I did like it I find that I prefer the big bottom of the recto and with the TS boost it's plenty tight for me. I also down tune slightly, my normal tuning is D# with drop C# very often. Sometimes I'll get all the way down to B for some Hatebreed stuff and I also play a 7 string.

I think I've had an "F-IT" moment though.. GC has a 45 day no questions return policy and that got me thinking.. What if I were to buy a 3 channel triple? If I don't like it I can take it back and try a 3 channel dual, if I don't like it, take it back buy another ToV. I may just go that route, the only money I would loose should I return something would be the shipping fee but if I were to look at it as a month "rental fee" that would be bearable.

I honestly don't want to get back into tone chasing but I feel an overwhelming pull to try a 3 channel, especially the triple. Something about those has always appealed to me and many times playing the ToV I've said "I wish it had more gain or more bottom" and I think the triple should solve that. I'll just have to watch for years as you said, '06 or newer.

Worst case I guess I'll end up back with a ToV but I think I'll spend a little time exploring the recto world and see what happens.

As far as other amps go, I've tried pretty much all of them and I find myself feeling at home with a recto, so I think I'll stick here.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:02 PM   #12
vick1000
SS.org Regular

Might as well throw a Stiletto in there, if you like hard rock tones. Be careful with GC returns, they can refuse to accept them if they feel you are abusing the policy. My local GC is cool as hell though, I rolled amps with them for several years, and they would even refund the shipping for me (they say that's impossible now though).

A 3ch Rec is not a horrible amp, even the bad ones in the six year range could be coaxed into some form of usable tones, especially on the orange channel. But they pale in comparison to the previous and later models. Especially at lower volumes. The right cab and speakers can make all the difference though. If you have some broke in V30s, and a decent sized cab, your thick response should be there in spades.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:22 PM   #13
chiliphil1
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vick1000 View Post
Might as well throw a Stiletto in there, if you like hard rock tones. Be careful with GC returns, they can refuse to accept them if they feel you are abusing the policy. My local GC is cool as hell though, I rolled amps with them for several years, and they would even refund the shipping for me (they say that's impossible now though).

A 3ch Rec is not a horrible amp, even the bad ones in the six year range could be coaxed into some form of usable tones, especially on the orange channel. But they pale in comparison to the previous and later models. Especially at lower volumes. The right cab and speakers can make all the difference though. If you have some broke in V30s, and a decent sized cab, your thick response should be there in spades.
Yeah, I actually just came across a 2010 triple with fresh Mesa glass for $1k.. From an independent seller though, so if I went with that one it would be mine. I could however play it in person first so that's a nice advantage. I just hate it that everyone and everything is so far away from me, it makes things like this difficult.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:28 PM   #14
Roadsterjosh
ss.org Regular

The Atl Sam Ash does do rentals,and at very reasonable rates. However, they don't stock Mesa and the only one they had in stock 2 weeks ago was a stilleto combo. The did have a Mark V rackmount a few weeks prior with a smoking deal on 2 recto 2x12s. But their inventory in amps is pretty meh otherwise. They carry the standard low level stuff, 5153's, and Supros. Their used gear is where their deals are, sometimes.

Last edited by Roadsterjosh; 01-10-2017 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
Roadsterjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:52 PM   #15
BurningRome
ss.org Regular

Honestly common sense says this...Go to GC and try to have them cover the repair and if they won't then get your money and walk away.

$650 is a good deal but if you're not picky you can find a ton of similar awesome deals all over reverb and ebay. I flip amps all the time and I've found awesome $650 range amps. Reverb.com has turned out well for me.

But yeah I wouldn't mess around with pissing money away, it's a good amp but they don't demand tons of money either even after the repair that is a $800 amp max, some people will over spend but the average is $650-750 anyway. Play it safe.
BurningRome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:12 PM   #16
TheWarAgainstTime
"TWAT" for short

Feedback Score: 25 reviews
See if GC will cover the repair. If not, then return it and get the other ToV for $950

Sucks to hear you've been having issues with the amp. I'd love to try/own a ToV someday. I had a non-reborn Triple that wasn't really my thing, but saw a local band using a ToV and it was gnarly, thick, and juicy.

"Who'd have thought silence would be such a difficult thing to achieve in br00t4lz?"-sevenstringj
TheWarAgainstTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #17
jsmalleus
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I agree you should see if GC will cover the repair or get your $ back. Sounds like it is probably the LDR issue Vick mentioned.

After reading your other thread and if I didn't want to part with the amp, I might be inclined to try a quick fix of cleaning & retensioning the contacts on the tube socket(s) related to the orange channel you were initially having issues with & popping a new fuse in there. Sounds like whatever tube you said you were tapping and was microphonic would be the place to start. Just thinking maybe there's a chance that made the tube go bad and when it went up for good it took a fuse with it.

Could be a waste of time, but it'd cost ya a couple minutes and the price of a fuse and some deoxit or isopropyl alcohol to eliminate the possibility. I tend to let my curiosity get the better of me haha. I've had GC send me DOA amps they said were in "good" condition, sometimes it's just a quick fix & sometimes it's just not worth messing with & needs to go back.
jsmalleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #18
NinjaRaf
SS.org Regular

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I've got a Mark IV that's been sitting at a Mesa authorized repair shop for 5 weeks, now. Have you contacted Mesa about it? From what I understand, their repair prices are pretty reasonable. Might be worth calling them and talking to Mike. See what they say. I should've sent my amp to Mesa.

So...based on my experience, you have 2 options. 1. Send the amp to Mesa for repair. I have lost trust in Mesa authorized repair shops. 2. Return it and hope to find something that works for a little more money.

I would probably send that thing to Mesa and have them go over it completely. Probably will cost more than what you want to spend, though.
NinjaRaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:24 PM   #19
chiliphil1
ss.org Regular

Wow, so I went ahead and returned it. Guitar canter ALREADY has it listed on the used site for sale in GOOD condition! They're going to just rip someone else off now.

On the good side I'm heading into the city tonight to grab a 2010 triple recto with 2x12 horizontal cabinet! That should bring some thump.

PSA if you're looking at that $650 tremoverb on guitar center used right now, don't buy it!
Old 01-11-2017, 08:59 PM   #20
chiliphil1
ss.org Regular

I went to check out that triple tonight and honestly, oh my god! It's the most brutal and amazing amp I've ever heard. So much thump and power yet so much clarity and tightness. I actually like it so much more than the ToV and I really loved that amp.

Super happy now, hopefully this one will work longer than a week.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:11 AM   #21
EdgeCrusher
SS.org Regular

Dang, which Guitar Center is the ToV at? It's possible that it could have just been bad tubes maybe? Glad you were able to get your money back and get a Triple though!
EdgeCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:38 AM   #22
chiliphil1
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeCrusher View Post
Dang, which Guitar Center is the ToV at? It's possible that it could have just been bad tubes maybe? Glad you were able to get your money back and get a Triple though!
It was Macon, ga but it's already been sold.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:44 AM   #23
chiliphil1
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeCrusher View Post
It wasn't tubes. I changed all of them out with several known good ones and it didn't help.

My guess is that they tossed a fuse in it, the light came on, and they said "ha, perfect" that amp is going to be DOA. The orange channel is messed up and it'll eventually blow that fuse again.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #24
Drew
Fear the Polo!

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
For the price, it's probably worth buying and putting a hundred or two into it anyway.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

Check out my debut album, Zero Mantra, on iTunes!
http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:48 AM   #25
vick1000
SS.org Regular

Glad you like the Tri-rec, they are quite a bit different than a ToV. A 2010 version should give you anything you could ask for, unless you want somone to carry it for you