homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Interviews, Reviews & Tech Articles > The Sevenstring.org Workbench
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

The Sevenstring.org Workbench How-To's, Lessons, Tech Articles, etc. to keep your gear and your playing in top shape. Contribute and submit your own!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-25-2006, 08:12 PM   #1
{##[====:::.

Leon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Arrow [Tech] Nomad 45 2x12 videos

i decided to try and record something, since Karl and some others were curious about my sound. my mic is a PC mic ^ ^ ^, so i just did some videos, which don't sound much worse than making mp3s (given my equipment), except that the files are bigger. and the vids were more fun to make, so i don't want to hear any whining about file size . the sound quality is terrible (as is some of my hacking) compared to the real thing, so put your imagination hats on before listening.

http://www.wildealien.com/ssorg_media/chan2dry.avi
--> http://youtube.com/watch?v=jG-wr3JOgF4
channel 2 vintage dry. i don't really get into channel 2 that much, but it's pretty nice when it's what i'm after.

http://www.wildealien.com/ssorg_media/chan3dry.avi
--> http://youtube.com/watch?v=r4vh_iivz8k
channel 3 modern dry. since i'm using the G-Major, i have the Nomad's reverb turned all the way down on all the channels. in these two and the next two, the FX mix is turned to 0%, so you're hearing pure amp and no G-Major.

http://www.wildealien.com/ssorg_media/chan3dryEQ@12.avi
--> http://youtube.com/watch?v=zOOgCF1ITOU
channel 3 modern dry, noon'ed EQ. the other clips i did with a slightly different EQ setting. treble ~ 2:00, mids ~ 10:00, bass ~ 2:00. i generally jam by myself with these settings, but when i play with my band, i tweak everything towards noon (slightly), so that i fit better in the mix.

http://www.wildealien.com/ssorg_medi...yXTR....up.avi
--> http://youtube.com/watch?v=uyomdkou90g
channel 3 modern dry, with Extreme voicing switch engaged (45w model only). yeah, i ....ed this riff up . but, there it is anyways.

http://www.wildealien.com/ssorg_media/chan3p4.avi
--> http://youtube.com/watch?v=GTHHr2lFLWo
channel 3 modern, G-Major patch 4. this patch has a bit of reverb, a touch of delay, and some wide chorus.

http://www.wildealien.com/ssorg_media/chan3p5.avi
--> http://youtube.com/watch?v=YbkcmPRDONw
channel 3 vintage, G-major patch 5. this patch is sorta like my #4, only it has no chorus, and the delay is a little stronger. i'm also switched to the AN7, whereas i'm playing through the Blaze Custom on the rest.

http://www.wildealien.com/ssorg_media/im002361b.jpg
this is a pic of the amp face to show you the settings i'm using. one thing you might notice is that i have all my presence up pretty high. i think my guitars sound pretty dark by nature, so i dial up the presence to brighten things up a bit.

worth noting (for being concise) is that the guitar i'm playing there is my RG7621 with a Blaze Custom in the bridge, and the Air Norton 7 in the neck, strung up with D'Addario's 7-string pack of 9's (that's a 54 B string). i'm hooked up with George L's cables, there's a Crybaby wah in the signal before the amp, and the G-Major is in the FX loop. my search for a pick that wouldn't lose it's point landed me using Dunlop Jazz III's. lest i forget, the tubes in the Nomad are JJ's. the preamp has 3 high gain rated ECC83S's, channel 1 has an ECC803S for more headroom, a balanced phase inverter, and the power section has 4 EL84's.

enjoy

Last edited by Leon; 03-21-2007 at 05:43 PM. Reason: added YouTube links.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-25-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon
http://www.wildealien.com/ssorg_media/chan3dry.avi
channel 3 modern dry. since i'm using the G-Major, i have the Nomad's reverb turned all the way down on all the channels. in these two and the next two, the FX mix is turned to 0%, so you're hearing pure amp and no G-Major.
In particular I like this one. What's that riff? It's ....in' cool, whatever it is.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 03:22 AM   #3

Leon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnate
that's Type O Negative's cover of Cinnamon Girl, a great little warmup tune

Unread 03-26-2006, 03:27 AM   #4
Sign Your Neg Rep Posts!

Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.
sounds pretty good leon
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 04:13 AM   #5
You're no daisy.

Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Thanks very much Leon, and nice choice of song too.

"Does the brain control you or are you controlling the brain? I don't know if I'm in charge of mine." - Karl Pilkington
Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 11:58 AM   #6

thanks Jason! no prob Karl

Unread 03-26-2006, 04:16 PM   #7
None shall pass.

eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Damn, vids won't play on my computer I think I'm missing a codec. What are these encoded with?

The Offensive Senses
Twitter
Facebook
eleven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 05:19 PM   #8
Vince is X!!!

Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.
I watched all the videos, and I have to agree w/ Drew, the best sound IMO of all of those is the Type-O song. Nomads are great amps and you're getting some great sounds out of yours.

I have to ask about the amp mods. First, why did you decide to go with EL84s instead of 6L6s? Also, what does the phase inverter do for you in the amplifier. I've used phase inverters in the studio to avoid phase cancellation between snare drum mics and overheads, but I don't understand the use for it in an amplifier. What does it do for you?

Thanks for posting these clips Leon, threads like this are why ss.org is the best resource on the net for guitar/amp discussion

Nice webcam skull too
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 08:53 PM   #9

thanks Vince! and you were right about the dynamic delay. i can't find a use for it. when i want delay for a lead, i just use a regular one.

as far as the mods, they're all no-brainers. it only accepts EL84's and the phase inverter is standard for the amp (the V5 position i believe) . i'm not entirely sure what it does myself... probably aides in avoiding internal phase cancellation, but that's venturing a guess.

i'm thinking of getting another webcam, for the other eyesocket lol.

Unread 03-26-2006, 09:20 PM   #10
Ibanez Guitars

Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
In particular I like this one. What's that riff? It's ....in' cool, whatever it is.
Sounds great, Leon!

.... and I do like that tune, Type-O did a great job in covering that one.

My Guitar Videos My Band/Project

Guitars~

1991 Ibanez UV7PWH (Dead Mint),
1991 Ibanez UV7BK (Mint),
1998 (F97) Ibanez RG7620BK (refinished in Arctic White),
1999 Ibanez S7420FMTT (silver dot),
2013 Ibanez RG8WH,
1999 Fender Made in Mexico Strat (white, maple fretboard)
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 09:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven59
Damn, vids won't play on my computer I think I'm missing a codec. What are these encoded with?
oh! sorry, i haven't the foggiest idea. whatever Logitech ImageStudio uses.

Unread 03-20-2007, 08:54 PM   #12
metalguitarist.org

Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven59 View Post
Same here.

Amp: 6505+ / Recto 4x12s
Rack: Axe-Fx II / HD1221s
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2007, 09:07 PM   #13
The Destroyer

Stretchnutz is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Same here.
i get sound but no video...
Stretchnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2007, 09:52 PM   #14
metalguitarist.org

Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.
- Moved to the Workbench.

Amp: 6505+ / Recto 4x12s
Rack: Axe-Fx II / HD1221s
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2007, 10:12 PM   #15
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Whew... i'm glad i'm not the only one who can't see the videos. I thought it might have been a Mac thing. I can hear the audio, though. And this confirms that i don't care much for the Nomad high-gain tone.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2007, 10:18 PM   #16
SS Contributor

Berger is a jewel in the rough
Cool I like the vids. Winamp acted a little weird on the chan3dryEQ@12 vid, but still played it fine.

Also which buckethead song is the chan2dry vid?
Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2007, 10:29 PM   #17
gang* 4 lyfe

Mark. A is a name known to allMark. A is a name known to allMark. A is a name known to allMark. A is a name known to all
Sounding good dude! Couldn't see the vids either
Mark. A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2007, 01:11 AM   #18

hmm. i can't seem to view them anymore either . any ideas anyone?

i hope you all at least enjoyed my sloppy playing!

Unread 03-21-2007, 02:01 PM   #19

currently youtubing all the vids. they should be up by this evening.

Darren, the audio quality is pretty terrible, i admit . the amp is definitely warmer in person. Kevan and Steve (technomancer) both have heard it in person, and will probably agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berger View Post
Also which buckethead song is the chan2dry vid?
i think that's Post Office Buddy.

Unread 03-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #20
SS Contributor

Berger is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
i think that's Post Office Buddy.
cool, I have a bunch of videos that I got off of youtube and google video, and I didn't know what the actual names of the songs are.

Cool amp, even with the crappy audio my brain, I think, compensates and it sounds so sweet
Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #21

thanks! yeah, it's quite the versatile little tube combo, and sounds better in person, of course

when i can get some better recorded tones, i'll certainly be putting them up.

also, updated with youtube links!!

Unread 03-23-2007, 05:46 PM   #22
The Destroyer

dude! You have no head...
Unread 03-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #23

sure i do...

Unread 03-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #24
The Destroyer

you kno what, i was thinking that, hahaha
i was like it would have been cool if he photoshoped that skull head in, lol
Unread 05-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #25
ss.org Regular

OrangeLightning is on a distinguished road
you get a great sound out of your nomad

Guitars: EBMM JP7w/ Piezo, Ibanez JEM 7VWH, Strat, Tele, 73' Rickenbacker 4001
|
V
Effects: TU-2 -> 535Q wah -> hendrix wah -> Krank Distorus Maximus -> EVH flanger -> Boss PS-5 Super Shifter - > amp loop -> Line 6 DL4 -> Boss RC-20XL Loop Station |
V
Amps: Mesa Triple Rectifier or Line 6 Flextone stack
|
V
Cabs: THD 4X12 or Flectone Extension cab ROCK ON!
OrangeLightning is offline   Reply With Quote