homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Interviews, Reviews & Tech Articles > The Sevenstring.org Workbench
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

The Sevenstring.org Workbench How-To's, Lessons, Tech Articles, etc. to keep your gear and your playing in top shape. Contribute and submit your own!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #51
"Asian Persuasion"

stevo1 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh4z View Post
Hi Guys,

I have been discussing with a friend of mine about making up a circuit for switching between batteries 9v and 18v.

Essentially the switch will be 4 way with the following options.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...ovan/modes.png

1. 2 x 9v in Series - 18v mod.
2. 2 x 9v in Parallel; 9v.
3. 1st Battery 9v.
4. 2nd Battery 9v.

Any ideas
there is really no point for this. you'll only have two sounds. the 9v regular sound and the 18v sound. having two 9v batteries wired in parallel would only increase battery life, and being able to switch from one battery to another is pretty pointless. i would suggest only wiring two of the option mentioned. the regular 9v only 1 and the 18v series thing. but hey. not my choice.
stevo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #52
SS.org Regular

sh4z will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the input... any idea how to actually wire it up though? I was hoping to get like a schematic or something.

sh4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #53
"Asian Persuasion"

Quote:
Thanks for the input... any idea how to actually wire it up though? I was hoping to get like a schematic or something.
i really dont know how to wire the 9v and 18v mod to a toggle switch to change whenever. i know someone has done it, but i havent done it myself. i just stick with th 18v mod. feel free to search for it though! it might even be in this thread
Unread 04-29-2011, 10:28 PM   #54
blood junkie

TRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to all
I tried 18v mod and I preferred the 9v sound. Not a huge difference either way, but definetly noticable. The thing is, when I roll the volume back just a TINY bit when in 9v mode, it sounds almost and feels almost like 18v mod with volume max. I do think the toggle option is perfect solution though. Variety is always a great option.
TRENCHLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #55
ss.org Regular

Gothical is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just did the 18v mod in my RGA8 with emg 808 and I can safely say that I really prefer the 18v mod. The bass was definitely much more punchier and the highs were more pronounced. By the way Im tuned EBEADGBE so I needed more bass for the E but the pickups didnt seem to handle that too well but now I just couldnt be more happier. Now how the hell do i get rid of the damn buzz
Gothical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #56
"Asian Persuasion"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRENCHLORD View Post
I tried 18v mod and I preferred the 9v sound. Not a huge difference either way, but definetly noticable. The thing is, when I roll the volume back just a TINY bit when in 9v mode, it sounds almost and feels almost like 18v mod with volume max. I do think the toggle option is perfect solution though. Variety is always a great option.
what pickups are you using?
Unread 05-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #57
blood junkie

TRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to all
81/60 combo 9v for me. Although everyone's setup is different, and the string setup(tension/tuning) even makes a difference what will work best.
TRENCHLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 05:54 AM   #58
ss.org Regular

Jaqen is on a distinguished road
In my 707 there was a little more dynamics in clean sounds, distortion sounds are already compressed on their own, so the difference is minimal
Jaqen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #59
SS.org Regular

Chris Migdalski is a jewel in the rough
I have been using an 18Volt mod in my Ibanez RG2228 8 string for about a year now and have been very happy with it actually opening up the characteristics of the EMG's tone but I have an idea.....If I wanted to install a push pull volume knob as a switch to say RUN the 18 volt mod as the knob is normally pushed in and then just 9 volts pulled out ...has anybody tried this seems easy enough...just curious on opinions
Chris Migdalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 03:48 AM   #60
aka FistedSister

GnarlesBronson is just really niceGnarlesBronson is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Awesome. Doing this at some point this week!
GnarlesBronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #61
ss.org Regular

sonicwarrior will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I made a graphic explanation although it doesn't look as good as the one in the OP as I used LibreOffice Draw.

As the picture says I've not tested it but if you look at a DPDT on-on switch datasheet you can check this yourself: Switch position 1 connects the pins 1 & 2 plus 4 & 5. As pin 4 is connected to the plus pole of the first battery an pin 5 to the minus pole of the second battery and there is nothing connected to pin 1 this is the only connection and equals a serial connection of the batteries which means you get the 18 V.
Switch position 2 connects the pins 2 & 3 plus 5 & 6. Pin 2 is connected to plus on battery no. 2 and pin 3 to plus on battery no. 1. Pin 5 is connected to minus on battery no. 2 and pin 6 to minus on battery no. 1. So this is the parallel aka 9 V mode to safe battery life.

Check with a DMM before connecting to the pickups.
Don't have one? Get one! A cheap one will be sufficient.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Active-PU_18V & 9V switchable.jpg (30.1 KB, 38 views)
sonicwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote