homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Interviews, Reviews & Tech Articles > The Sevenstring.org Workbench
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

The Sevenstring.org Workbench How-To's, Lessons, Tech Articles, etc. to keep your gear and your playing in top shape. Contribute and submit your own!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #26
EET FUK

Distortion is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Doesn't having fans near the amp create a magnetic field that can and probably will interfere with noise sensitive devices.. such as tubes.. ?

Just a thought Really clever and cool idea
Distortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #27
wake up dead

7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenstringj View Post
Yep, that's exactly what I did in my old rack. Though I opted for 2 fans, and they came with normal plugs so I was able to plug them into the power conditioner directly. Partsexpress FTW.
link? I've been looking all over that site
7slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #28
'stortion junkie

maat can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortion View Post
Doesn't having fans near the amp create a magnetic field that can and probably will interfere with noise sensitive devices.. such as tubes.. ?

And yet we place said amps constantly next to HUGE ass magnets to push the sound...EXCELSIOR!!!!!!

This is the secret to excellent tone MORE MAGNETS!!!!!

Calms down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenstringj View Post
Yep, that's exactly what I did in my old rack. Though I opted for 2 fans, and they came with normal plugs so I was able to plug them into the power conditioner directly. Partsexpress FTW.
Which fans did you order from partsexpress that cam with the AC plugs?

Last edited by maat; 03-16-2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
maat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 08:05 PM   #29
Double Edge FTW

Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat View Post
This is the secret to excellent tone MORE MAGNETS!!!!!
C'mon now... everybody knows its a well known fact that blinky lights = tone. And since his fans have lights, it is that which is adding to his tone
AxeHappy likes this.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 08:24 PM   #30
Sarcy English Twat

Location: 7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bruv, Safe, London, UK
7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
this thread gets ressurected every so often, maybe it should go into the howto section.

My fans still work too, and still look more funky than a disco pimp in the70's

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
7 Dying Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 10:00 PM   #31

sevenstringj is a glorious beacon of lightsevenstringj is a glorious beacon of lightsevenstringj is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Oh shit, didn't realize how old this thread was! But anyway...

Parts Express:.Middle Atlantic FAN 4-1/2" Fan 105 cfm 115 VAC

That's the one. Though I don't remember them costing 40 bucks! Damn inflation. It was about 8 years ago I got them.
sevenstringj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #32
'stortion junkie

Oar-SOME! unfortunately, my wallet just got kicked in the nads from simply reading that price...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
C'mon now... everybody knows its a well known fact that blinky lights = tone. And since his fans have lights, it is that which is adding to his tone
You kidding me?!?!? I'm mounting a gawddamn lighthouse. TODAY!

Last edited by maat; 03-17-2009 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 03-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #33
Banned

Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortion View Post

Its not the magnets, its the EM noise produced when the motors spin and the commutator swaps polarity. Because these fans are brushless, you don't get that periodic burst of noise, hence; almost completely electrically silent...
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 10:06 PM   #34
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Thats smart.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #35
'stortion junkie

Taken from

A Monk's Musical Musings: April 2007

Friday, April 06, 2007

Proper Rack Setup

One of the nice things about being in the music business for thirty years is that you have experienced and worked through almost everything: I've been a roadie, I've worked as a Synclavier programmer, and I've worked as an asistant engineer in some of the most famous recording studios in the world... plus, I've owned just a ton of guitar rack gear.

Setting up a gig rack is all about heat management, and this is especially important for a guitarist, bassist, or keyboard player who may play outdoor gigs where the ambient temperature can go above 100 degrees F (Working in the Desert Southwest as I do, I encounter this all the time). Problem is, most newbies copy what they see in recording studios via Mix magazine, or whatever. Recording studios are climate controlled environments! Therefore, the ambient temperatures therein are going to be set with keeping the amps, effects units, and computer equipment happy in mind.

So, in a climate controlled recording studio, putting the power amplifier on the bottom of the rack makes perfect sense: It won't overheat, you never need to fiddle with it, and putting preamps and other gear above the amp makes accessing them for adjustments easier. Putting the power amp on the bottom of a gigging rack is, however, idiotic.

What does heat do? It rises. If you put a big, badass, MESA/Boogie Stereo Simul-Class 2: Ninety on the bottom of your guitar rig, those eight 6L6 output tubes, three 12AX7 input tubes, and two gargantuan output transformers will bake everything above them! However, if you put the power amp on the top, the rising heat from it will actually aid the cooling of the lower units through convection: The rising hot air on the top will pull in cooler air from down below.

Here are two of my racks to demonstrate the principle:

ALL YOUR GEAR ARE BELONG TO US!

One of the reasons that power conditioners with light modules make exactly zero sense for gig racks is because the wretched, blasted power conditioner belongs on the bottom of the balsted rack! Power conditioners - even ones like the Furman AR-1215, which has isolation transformers - generate very little heat: Putting them on the bottom gives a relatively open area for air circulation. Just above the Furman units I have my Lexicon MPX-G2's, which I use in stand-alone mode as the preamps and effects units. These generate a significant amount of heat, they are very deep units, and they have a vent on the top - about six inches back - which should never be blocked by a unit above them. I usually recommend an open space above Lexicon MPX units, but the Beheringer Racktuner generates almost no heat (I let one run twenty-four hours with the lights on, and there was a barely noticable warm spot above the internal power supply), and it is only four inches deep, so the Lexicon's vent is not blocked. Basically, the Behringer is almost as good as an empty space.

Then, the amps are on the top. The top rack is my day-to-day dinner club/backround music rig. The Bryston 2B-LP there is a single space, sixty watt per channel unit, and the heat sinks are on the front, outside of the rack. Nonetheless, it has some upper vents that need to breathe on the top a few inches back, and it can get so hot the sinks will burn your fingers if you try to hold onto them. Nice thing about the SBK racks I use is that they are light as a feather, rugged beyond belief, and they have about an inch of space all around the gear: The rack "breathes" perfectly.

The lower rack is my high end gig rack with the incredible Lexicon Signature 284 All Tube Class "A" Stereo Recording Amplifier and Direct Source: Its +4 db direct outs allow me to plug its pristine class A EL84 output right into the house PA. Yeah, it rocks.

Not pictured here is my large venue outdoor rig, which is the same except it is six spaces to accomodate a Bryston 3B-NPB in the top slot. That amp has massive heat sinks on the inside of the rack, so it really needs to breathe. Setting the rack up with convection cooling in mind makes it relatively compact, and allows me to play folk festivals and whatnot out in the heat with noooooo problemo.

So, don't ever set up a gig rack like a studio rack, OK?

BTW: You can easily see how the Behringers will light up a dark stage.

Cool, huh?

Why? Because I want my distortion to be like "the perfect woman"...Unique, versatile, thick (with lots of low-end, balanced high-end) and classy enough to make your knees buckle in it's presence and pretty much an all around jizz-in-the-pants to be around.
Unread 06-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #36
I LIKE JUICE!!!

TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
^Interesting. How much of a difference is there really going to be in a typical rack, though? If there was much of a difference, you'd see racks set up like this a lot more often. I see very few myself. I set my racks up with the power amp on the bottom so it's easier to balance when I'm hauling it and so the heavier components will be better supported on the bottom rather than being entirely held up by the rack ears (which really should be fine, but I overthink things like this anyway). Also, both of my rack power amps take in air from the back that goes through the inside of the amp and exhausts via a vent in the front of the amp, which is wide open, so the convection cooling principle probably doesn't apply nearly as much to racks whose power amps cool like that.

"Tom, you're like 1 part a serious dork, and 2 parts the most awesome ....ing guy ever." -
TomAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #37
thefear&thefury

thefearthefury is on a distinguished road
very sweet colours. where did you buy the fans?
thefearthefury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #38
Pantysniffing zombie

JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Him being from the UK, he probably bought them somewhere we wouldn't know about. I'm in the process of waiting for a 3u rack panel right now. I have the fans. I decided to go with the Enermax Apollish since I hear the noise and air movement are pretty decent, plus the LED's are bad ass apparently. You just have to mod the fans since they're temperature controlled. I'll have to make a picstory of me making my fan panel too

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I got the fans from http://www.ncix.com . I order all my computer shit through them since they're Canadian. I've looked at the Canadian Newegg site and the prices and selection don't seem as nice as NCIX.
JJ Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #39
These Eyes Are Blind

Hcash is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gea...-rack-fan.html

I bought my fans from Radioshack. 30.00$ for a box of four... There were a few color options...
Hcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 11:01 PM   #40
Sarcy English Twat

Location: 7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bruv, Safe, London, UK
7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefearthefury View Post
very sweet colours. where did you buy the fans?
LED PC Fans, 120mm, cheap to get, ebay or places that sell PC parts

The ones I used are AKASA ones (silent ones, brushless or something, doesn't really matter, the colours were for pimping it out, could have used normal ones and saved some cash, but that's nowhere near as bling now is it )

Basically any fan will do, but PC fans are easy to get hold of

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
7 Dying Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2009, 04:36 AM   #41
ss.org Regular

TheGerman is on a distinguished road
I like the way the rack looks but I have some suggestions to make it look better if you ever plan on 'upgrading' your cooling system. If you were to purchase some clear, non LED, fans and install some cold cathodes you would get a much more even color and would have more options as far as color. You could even pick up some sound activated cold cathodes which would make for some amazing light shows.

Check out Xoxide.com - Custom ATX Computer Cases, PC Mods, Computer Case mods, and Modded PC Cases for cold cathodes and Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! for case fans.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #42
ss.org Regular

bdzin is on a distinguished road
Cooling fans for racks.....

We have been listening to your comments and complaints on fan noise and now you won't have to listen to your fanset, that is, if it is the new AFD-1. Right now you're wondering how a fanset be so quiet that you may not hear it run. We have designed custom control circuitry to enable an almost silent fanset. Of course we have temperature control, but that is secondary in this design.

Well, what if we told you that the AFD-1 also has a microphone input to listen to your environment? That's right a fanset that also has an automatic speed control that responds to sounds! When the sound level is low, the fanset runs ever so slowly and quietly to prevent hot spots in your rack. When the sound level goes up so does the fans speed. Operation in this manner pre-empts the generation of heat. Your equipment may never get hot again!

The AFD-1 has a user adjustable gain control to allow that fanset to immediately adjust its speed in response to the sound level in your environment. So when you're listening to something loud the fanset is running at full speed and immediately drops to the almost silent low speed setting when the sound level returns to normal.

For every beat of the bass drum, for every note of the singer and running constantly at high speed while jamming, the AFD-1 is designed for pre-emptive cooling. As soon as the music starts, the AFD-1 kicks into high. It won't wait for a higher temperature to tell it to start running fast. A fanset running in this manner will always pull cooler air through your cabinet BEFORE your expensive components have even started to heat up.

We chose to run the AFD-1 at a slow speed constantly to insure that hotspots within your rack will never occur. The constant draw through your enclosure will insure that hotspots are eliminated permanently.

A fanset with these features needs a really neat name, so we decided to call it, Sounds Cool -- we think you'll agree.

We have a line in connector if your needs dictate. The included thermistor can be remotely located and both connections are available on a rear mounted terminal block.

The control board is a custom 2 sided circuit board with more than 70 components, the majority being the best available in surface mount technology today.

The new Sounds Cool AFD-1, the best fanset on the market today is available in limited quantities right now at our introductory pricing of $379.95 plus shipping and handling. The AFD-1 has everything you need to use it today right inside the box. There is nothing else to buy as we include 10-32 rack mount screws, rack rash washers and power supply with six foot cord.

At high sound levels the Sounds Cool AFD-1 will pull over 175 cubic feet of heated air out of your cabinet at a maximum of just under 50 dBA, but you probably won't even hear it! At an idle they are almost silent at just under 21 dBA.

The Sounds Cool AFD-1 is housed in a 2RU panel fabricated from 16-gage cold rolled steel and flanged 4 times and powder coated in a smooth black finish. These are the strongest fanset panels on the market today! If yours is a mobile application, these are the fansets for you. The three individual fans are mounted on four, soft gel isolators to separate possible fan noise away from the panel itself.

If you're not amazed you should probably check your pulse! If you're as amazed as we are proud of the Sounds Cool AFD-1, buy one today!

Sounds Cool

bdzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #43
Nigerian Nightmare

Mesheshuggah91 will become famous soon enough
badass man, would that work on a head too? I've got a Line 6 HD100 and after 30 minutes of playing if there's not a fan on it it dies. also I did not know blowing air into an amp was bad, thank you for that I'll have to find another way to cool it down

It's interesting how much I love being alone with my thoughts, but I can't, because i'll tear myself apart.
Mesheshuggah91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2010, 11:55 PM   #44
SS.org Regular

DancingCloseToU is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesheshuggah91 View Post
badass man, would that work on a head too?
That's a good idea I dont see why not, as long as you can find a way to mount the fans... It certainly won't look as cool though

Rhythm In Jump.
DancingCloseToU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #45
SS.org Regular

baconbag is on a distinguished road
Sorry for the noob question, but do you attach it to the power amp itself or to the rack mount above the power amp?
baconbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #46
SS.org Regular

disregard that. Didn't even look at the last pic.
Unread 03-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #47
SS.org Regular

chimpinatux is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I thought id share this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just stuck some 40mm fans inside the edge of my 20/20 chassis, keeps it surprisingly cooler and gets the air flowing more
chimpinatux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #48
Yes, pancakes.

simulclass83 is just really nicesimulclass83 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
That's a f***ing sick rack. Sure as hell beats mine haha!
simulclass83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #49
SS.org Regular

So, how do you control the power? Do you just plug/unplug the DC converter? I found a 4 pin Molex with a switch running throught the 12V. If anyone has the time/knowlege would you be able to say whether or not this would work? Heres a link
Molex 4 Pin on/off Power Switch 12V DC
Unread 03-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #50
SS.org Regular

Also, I plan on using 80mm fans (fits 2u) so I'm not sure if that changes anything.