homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Interviews, Reviews & Tech Articles > The Sevenstring.org Workbench
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

The Sevenstring.org Workbench How-To's, Lessons, Tech Articles, etc. to keep your gear and your playing in top shape. Contribute and submit your own!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-16-2010, 06:33 AM   #151
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_anther View Post
Yes it most certainly does, I used it with Ableton first and then switched to Cubase.

Has anybody worked out how to do cymbal chokes using this method?

The only way I've managed to do it in my recordings is to put the cymbals on a separate audio track and then delete the section of the wave by inserting a silence after the cymbal hit.
What drums are you using? If cymbal chokes are available, they are usually a different 'drum' (different MIDI key) e.g 55 = splash 56 = splash choke (this is not true)
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 10:38 PM   #152
InstruMentalHead

zeal0us is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealEntity View Post
What drums are you using? If cymbal chokes are available, they are usually a different 'drum' (different MIDI key) e.g 55 = splash 56 = splash choke (this is not true)
Yup.

As far as I understand, to encompass all possible hits you need to (somehow) assign them via a new drum map.

Does anyone know how to change the grid beat divisions for different time signatures? I have a part in 6/4, but if I change the time sig. on the transport bar, the grid divisions still remain 4 per beat. I need 6 divisions per beat.

Is the only way to do this by turning snap off and manually inserting every note approximately?

EDIT: I did it manually anyway... bleh

If angels could shred-sing, they would sound like John Petrucci.
zeal0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #153
ss.org Regular

black_anther will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I pre-program all my drum loops in Guitar Pro before I bring them into Cubase. When I drop the midi track in all the time signature and tempo changes are automatically picked up for me.

Thanks for that EtherealEntity, that's helped me a lot. It's confusing cos they weren't labelled correctly in the default drum map (or whatever it's called). I didn't think there'd be an separate note for them because when I program them in guitar pro all I do is put two notes on the cymbal together but with the second one's dynamic set to dead quiet (ppp button). I think the problem is in Cubase or EZDrummer is that it doesn't cancel the previous cymbal hit when two are played in a row. That make sense?
black_anther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 01:24 PM   #154
ss.org Master

Kapee is a jewel in the rough
SoundClick artist: Kapee - page with MP3 music downloads

Finally learnt how to program drums, haha.
Kapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #155
FMG
SS.org Regular

FMG is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
I've got a question:

Once I've done all the stuff listed in the tutorial and I have a MIDI drum track playing through EZDrummer, how can I apply compressor/other Cubase plug-ins to individual drums?

What I've been doing is going to the EZDrummer mixer, and selecting output as 'multi-track'. This creates a separate track for each drum sound, to which I can add EQ. However, in order to use plug-ins like this one free compressor I downloaded, you have to select an actual audio track, and each individual drum track doesn't actually have any audio data on it, so I can't use the compressor. Any tips?

I'm using this free VST compressor:

Kjaerhus Audio - Professional Audio Plug-ins

I really don't want to have to export individual drums as WAVs and import them back into Cubase just for the sake of Compression
I'd like to bring this up again, I've heard tons og guys on this forum discussing how they EQ'd and compressed their snare, but no one has addressed how to separate each drum onto a separate track. HELP!

Percussive fingerstyle acoustic guitar: http://youtu.be/Vohy6BYhoEU?hd=1
Traditional Celtic fingerstyle: http://youtu.be/PAkC49sANkw?hd=1
Fingerstyle - Classical, Atmospheric: http://youtu.be/ioNOJKthmTM?hd=1

www.youtube.com/FGrantMusic
FMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 07:23 AM   #156
ss.org Regular

black_anther will become famous soon enough
The way I do it is using the mixer on the EZDrummer display, there you can select the track you want to put each drum mic on.

If you look at the image below, where it says Trk 1 on the Output line, you can click these and select different tracks.

Once that's done (not sure if this is the best way mind), I do an audio mixdown per drum track, if you use this screenshot as a reference (sorry I don't have cubase where I am right now so had to make the best out of Google Images). Where you have the VST Instrument Channels menu you can select the track you want to export. I export it to a WAV and then import as a new audio track and do all my eqing etc on that.
black_anther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 07:54 AM   #157
Sir McTastyPants

ManEatSoul will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up :D

Awesome work! Thanks!!
ManEatSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #158
Fatty McButterpants

Mn3mic is a jewel in the rough
Too bad I was not aware of this tutorial earlier, I had to google most of this stuff one by one...

Btw, can anyone explain to me when to use a rim tom and when to use a normal tom.
I use both SSD and AD but I can't figure out what to do with these two.

I mean, when I make a normal tom fill it sounds good but not as aggressive as a rim tom fill, but after a certain speed of the fill it sounds way to "unreal"...

I like the way the toms sound on for ex. Acacia Strains Woodworm, they all sound to me like rim toms, not regular toms (like Rareform by After The Burial).

Anyone have an idea?
Mn3mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #159
ss.org Regular

Ahmet is on a distinguished road
[Tech] How to Program Drums

Good work!
Ahmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2010, 08:29 AM   #160
ss.org Regular

lastninja is on a distinguished road
I would recommend a) use a free program Stomper Hyperion to make some insane drum samples

b) find or take samples of metal drums (there are actually commercially available sound packs just for metal drums)

c) use an easy program to start like fruity loops, or way better, Ableton live

ableton is a great program for beginners and very quick results. Great for tempo shifts too.
lastninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #161

xSyncope is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know a free or a cheaper alternative to Cubase? I've just been using guitar pro to export MIDI files then transfer it to FL studio and change it to DFH, and I wanted to try a different way besides that.
xSyncope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #162
ss.org Regular

AngelSKinGarden will become famous soon enough
@xSyncope

I do it the same way using guitar pro, except after exporting I drag it into reaper and load EZdrummer/dfh. I haven't found a faster way to make good, non-generic drum parts for my tunes.
AngelSKinGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #163
Fatty McButterpants

Mn3mic is a jewel in the rough
I can't imagine how it is easier to program drums in GP and then exporting the midi, I literally draw them in Cubase and it takes me less time, especially cause I can reedit move/paste the parts that I change during the writing process.

A good tip is also not to copy/past same parts on same riffs when they are repeated - re-edit them and add different accents - makes all the difference in the world
cronux likes this.

Get your copy of the album "The Last Submission" by Subscale the the link below:

http://music.geengerrecords.com/albu...ast-submission

--------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/subscalarstudios
http://www.soundcloud.com/subscale

"60% of the time it works all the time..."
Mn3mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #164
ss.org Regular

Bjorn218 is on a distinguished road
Great tutorial. Much better doing it this way instead of my old standard, Modplug Tracker. Quick question though, how do you program shorter note values on the drum editor (i.e., 16th or 32nd notes)to create fast double kick lines?

EDIT: Nevermind figured it out. Needed to change note values for each drumkit piece.
Bjorn218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 05:40 PM   #165
ss.org Regular

vsiljivc is on a distinguished road
I think this tutorial is awesome therefore i should revive this thread,so i think that someone should explaine step by step and klick for klick how to multichannel Ez Drummer in Cubase ! tnx to this tutorial am finally using Tootrack and doing something!!
vsiljivc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #166
ss.org Regular

vsiljivc is on a distinguished road
As a step 7 you should do this first : How to set up EZDrummer Multiple Outputs in Cubase:

How to set up EZDrummer Multiple Outputs in Cubase - YouTube

vsiljivc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #167
Hylian Metal Master

Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
65k views and a brother can even keep contributor status.

For shame.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #168
.... Your Face!

NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
That is pretty lame.
NegaTiveXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #169
Hylian Metal Master

Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Ryan deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Right? :'(
vsiljivc likes this.
Unread 07-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #170
SS Contributor

Pweaks will become famous soon enough
When I change the time signature on my drum editor, I can't choose triplets anymore. Any help?
Pweaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #171
Eastern Harmony

nmh7205 is headed in the right direction.
thanks big help man
nmh7205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #172
SS.org Regular

chopeth is a glorious beacon of lightchopeth is a glorious beacon of lightchopeth is a glorious beacon of light
It looks like a great tutorial I need atm, but sadly I can't see half the pics.
Anyone know how to solve this or send me a similar tutorial for cubase?
chopeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #173
Hylian Metal Master

Sorry man, the hosting I used for this thread expired years back. I can't edit posts anymore either, so I don't think I'll be able to revamp it.

Le sigh.
Unread 07-30-2014, 09:31 PM   #174
SS.org Regular

chopeth is a glorious beacon of lightchopeth is a glorious beacon of lightchopeth is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Sorry man, the hosting I used for this thread expired years back. I can't edit posts anymore either, so I don't think I'll be able to revamp it.

Le sigh.
No problem, I got another DAW and EZdrummer 2, still could be of great help but no worries. Thanks for answering
chopeth is offline   Reply With Quote