homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Interviews, Reviews & Tech Articles > The Sevenstring.org Workbench
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

The Sevenstring.org Workbench How-To's, Lessons, Tech Articles, etc. to keep your gear and your playing in top shape. Contribute and submit your own!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-25-2009, 07:55 PM   #26
Loves his Q-tuners

Cheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I looked around for different ways to keep the picks from slipping and ended up doing this:

Silver duck tape! Stuff sticks to your fingers if you press down a little bit and holds up well when sweat gets into the mix. Though it doesn't always feel amazing when you do get really sweaty but your pick doesn't go anywhere.
Cheesebuiscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-26-2009, 01:39 AM   #27
stay tuned

damigu is just really nicedamigu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i just score with a knife, but i'm going to try out that heated paperclip idea--it sounds really promising and safer than the knife.
damigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 02:15 AM   #28
ss.org Regular

oldbulllee will become famous soon enough
for me, the best and easiest way to mod it, is to apply 4-5-6 ( to your preference, and according to the size/shape of the pick) SMALL drops of cyanoacrylate ( super glue) on each side of the pick, of course, only on the grip area.
works great, and lacerations are not an option.
remember: small drops, just a touch with the opening oh the glue bottle. if you put too much, it could just spread across, and it wouldn't work as well in providing more grip.
oldbulllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #29
ss.org Regular

Deadbrog is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitelightboy View Post
Is it me or do the black JazzIII's seem to have more grip? I love the black ones, but when ever I need picks, I usually need them right away and can only find the reds. And of course, I never order the black ones online in case I need them later
lol, i do the exact same thing. the red ones slip too much if your hands start to get sweaty.
Deadbrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #30
Talk To DeWalt

jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
i have no problems holding onto my pics, but my buddy srills a single hole through the middle of each pic so his fingers touch.
jymellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #31
Fatty McButterpants

Mn3mic is a jewel in the rough
This is a nice Idea but I think it takes too much time...

You can get the same/similar result by simple carving an X on each side of the pick with any sharp object.

But still a nice idea though
Mn3mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #32
stay tuned

damigu is just really nicedamigu is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mn3mic View Post
You can get the same/similar result by simple carving an X on each side of the pick with any sharp object.
my experience says you are incorrect, sir.

when i first tried scoring a pick, all i did was put an X on each side. it only made a minor difference and i gave up on it for years because it wasn't good enough.

then i decided to make a waffle pattern on each side and it makes a much more significant difference. the dimple thing helps even more.

but these days i use a soldering iron the melt a hole in the center of the pick. once the plastic cools, there are raised edges around the hole that improve the function of the hole itself.
damigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #33
Fatty McButterpants

Mn3mic is a jewel in the rough
It works for me and is less time consuming.

But my only concern was the live playing, sweat and all that, so basically the carved X was more then enough to get me through live performances...

Get your copy of the album "The Last Submission" by Subscale the the link below:

http://music.geengerrecords.com/albu...ast-submission

--------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/subscalarstudios
http://www.soundcloud.com/subscale

"60% of the time it works all the time..."
Mn3mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #34
"Asian Persuasion"

stevo1 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
i just burn a couple of holes on both sides where i grip on the pick with a soldering iron... i never have a problem, and it lightens the pick.
stevo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #35
SS.org Regular

Bevo is a glorious beacon of lightBevo is a glorious beacon of lightBevo is a glorious beacon of light
I take the tip of the knife and spin it a half turn or so into the pic, it raises the plastic up. About 5 divots on each side works, just don't cut yourself!

Put the pic on a wood surface with is point at 9 O'clock, hold tip with your finger. Put blade on at 12 sharp end up, then rotate clockwise to 6.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #36
SS.org Regular

Mukersman will become famous soon enough
I don't know how deep you guys want you picks scored, but I just take a key and put a bunches of multidirectional scratches on the thumb side of my dunlop tortex things.
Mukersman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 05:34 PM   #37
ss.org Regular

Unto The Sky is on a distinguished road
Cheers for this. Definitely going to try a couple of the methods here. I'm absolutely terrible for dropping picks, a load of my friends have a running joke about it. Sweaty hands FTL!
Unto The Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2010, 03:16 AM   #38
ss.org Regular

AliceAxe is a jewel in the rough
I don't realy have a problem with holding onto picks myself, i hold them in a way that they pivot between my thumb and first finger , that for me they never silp, I hardly ever lose picks.

But some of my students have had issues and these have been very sucessful for them.

Cactus Picks - Home

as far as the original post, IMO anything that even remotely risks serious harm to a guitarist's hands, especialy over something like better pick grip when there are other options available, is a big FAIL.
AliceAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #39
SS.org Regular

lookralphsbak is a jewel in the rough
I just use Jazz III max grips. 24 pack is $9.99 on musiciansfriend.
lookralphsbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #40
Petrucci Wannabe

Jet9 is a jewel in the rough
I just use V-Picks, they actually work BETTER for people with hot/sweaty hands.

"Sometimes the milk can hurt you, if you put it on your cereal before you smell the plastic container."
-Frank Zappa
Jet9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #41
ss.org Regular

Facebones will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet9 View Post
I just use V-Picks, they actually work BETTER for people with hot/sweaty hands.
I used them and personally they work for 5 minutes, then my sweat wins. They might work if you only have mild sweat, but for those of us who produce more than most, they aren't what they claim to be. I didn't even find them to be very good picks in general, they wore down quite fast. I bought some real carbon fiber picks from ebay that need no scoring and won't slip out of your hand. Best of all, they are hard as hell and last for months.
Facebones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #42
Petrucci Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facebones View Post
I used them and personally they work for 5 minutes, then my sweat wins. They might work if you only have mild sweat, but for those of us who produce more than most, they aren't what they claim to be. I didn't even find them to be very good picks in general, they wore down quite fast. I bought some real carbon fiber picks from ebay that need no scoring and won't slip out of your hand. Best of all, they are hard as hell and last for months.
I actually sweat a ton, have really hot hands, and have very acidic sweat(if I don't use elixirs, I have to switch strings 7 times a week ) I've had my 4.1mm dimension junior unbuffed since christmas(just one), and it's been the only pick I've used since then on all of my guitars, and my bass when I'm not playing fingerstyle. I've never once dropped it, and it hasnt shown any signs of wear at all. I haven't tried any v-picks thinner than 2.75mm, maybe that's why our experiences are opposite.

I've actually been looking for carbon fiber picks, what company makes them?

"Sometimes the milk can hurt you, if you put it on your cereal before you smell the plastic container."
-Frank Zappa
Unread 03-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #43
ss.org Regular

Facebones will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet9 View Post
I actually sweat a ton, have really hot hands, and have very acidic sweat(if I don't use elixirs, I have to switch strings 7 times a week ) I've had my 4.1mm dimension junior unbuffed since christmas(just one), and it's been the only pick I've used since then on all of my guitars, and my bass when I'm not playing fingerstyle. I've never once dropped it, and it hasnt shown any signs of wear at all. I haven't tried any v-picks thinner than 2.75mm, maybe that's why our experiences are opposite.

I've actually been looking for carbon fiber picks, what company makes them?

It was on Ebay, they have crossbones/skull or lighting bolt thing (grateful dead looking thing) on them, I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link here. (They aren't always up, sometimes the listing ends and they seem to wait a little while to post it up again) A little expensive but nice, i got the mediums. I don't use giant picks, mostly between .7 and .9 mm but the mediums are .5 and feel nice. How do big picks work for you??

EDIT: Beware fake carbon fiber picks/ nylon carbon fiber picks, they aren't the same thing, the guy will explicitly say REAL CARBON FIBER

Last edited by Facebones; 03-26-2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: disclaimer
Facebones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #44
Petrucci Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facebones View Post
It was on Ebay, they have crossbones/skull or lighting bolt thing (grateful dead looking thing) on them, I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link here. (They aren't always up, sometimes the listing ends and they seem to wait a little while to post it up again) A little expensive but nice, i got the mediums. I don't use giant picks, mostly between .7 and .9 mm but the mediums are .5 and feel nice. How do big picks work for you??

EDIT: Beware fake carbon fiber picks/ nylon carbon fiber picks, they aren't the same thing, the guy will explicitly say REAL CARBON FIBER
I like to use thicker picks because they allow me to play with a much more loose grip and still hold on well. also, they're good for people with hand cramps for that same reason.

-Frank Zappa
Unread 03-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #45
came and went

TRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to all
I've no idea as to the purity of the fiber itself, but the jazz3 carbon fiber maxgrips are very easy to hold on to sweat or no sweat. After you get used to them(a couple hours or so) you'll notice yourself relaxing more than ever. The tip does seem to wear out alot quicker than the regular nylon or nylon stiffo's wich are also offered in maxgrip. I've heard a couple guys say the grip is so tacky that they have trouble repositioning the pick for certain techniques or when it does accidently get out of position. I personally found that that problem went away after no time at all once you get used to relaxing a hair more.
TRENCHLORD is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #46
ss.org Regular

saovi will become famous soon enough
Stone picks are the only thing I use for 8 string. They are fabulous for digging in and adds a nice detail and resonance to your sound. After using this stone picks years, going back to plastic or carbon fiber just doesn't compare in my opinion. The difference is startling.

SaOvI | mUsIc
saovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 04:27 PM   #47
masterblaster

McHeathen is on a distinguished road
saw this thread and had to throw in my two cents, i'm partial to clayton 1mm, they're made of something called "acetyl polymer" and have this interesting adhesive to them. if your hands are dry it simply provides friction so the pick don't fly off. but if you start sweating the logo(adhesive) absorbs the sweat and gets slightly stickier, thereby removing the possibility of slippage. it's still manageable enough to move around or reposition, and they also sound pretty good. i used to swear by tortex 1mm, and since i tried these, ain't looked back. they got diff shapes and sizes for em, and the company also does custom logo orders. check em out.
McHeathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #48
Ghostmaker

MatthewLeisher is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Pictures are broken in the OP
MatthewLeisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #49
SS.org Regular

Iron Beard will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
ive used this and it works great for me...

Gorilla Snot Musicians Gripping Resin at zZounds
Iron Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 06:12 AM   #50
SS.org Regular

Max Dread has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewLeisher View Post
Pictures are broken in the OP
Yeah...

Is there a way of fixing them?
Max Dread is offline   Reply With Quote