homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Interviews, Reviews & Tech Articles > The Sevenstring.org Workbench
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

The Sevenstring.org Workbench How-To's, Lessons, Tech Articles, etc. to keep your gear and your playing in top shape. Contribute and submit your own!

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
dotlike

loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Mod: EMG Covers for Passive Pickups

first off, major props to Mesh (djpharaoah) for finding a place where you can order EMG-style bass pickup plastic covers to retrofit an EMG808 (www.guitarjonesusa.com)

BEFORE:

AFTER:

so, here's how the covers look like. pretty much exact the same dimensions as the EMG808s (EMG40 housing), but hollow (duh?). the pickups that are going into these are a set of BKP Coldsweats

since the pickup's baseplate is too thick to fit directly into the covers, i ended up sawing off the lower 5mm of the housing to get a tight fit:

here's the result:

cheers
loktide is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
SS Contributor

Isan is a glorious beacon of lightIsan is a glorious beacon of lightIsan is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
you bastard !

Looks damn nice sir
Isan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
Real. Groggy. Human.

lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Yep, that's pretty cool. Congrats on being a winner.
lobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oooh I might have to steal this idea.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
looks cool but how does it sound?
Customisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
Mentally Guitarded

Galius is a splendid one to beholdGalius is a splendid one to beholdGalius is a splendid one to beholdGalius is a splendid one to beholdGalius is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Neato. Might have to try this on my intrepid. I wonder if the pickup being covered by plactic affects the tone or output.

Galius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
Bald and gribbly.

BigBaldIan is just really niceBigBaldIan is just really nice
Only one way to find out, try with and without I guess. Aesthetically though, top marks.
BigBaldIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #8
monster death chunk

powergroover is a jewel in the rough
now everyone will wonder why this particular guitar with emg's sounded different(better) than any other else
powergroover is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

Decipher is just really niceDecipher is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Very cool! That will solve alot of people's issues with 8 string guitars and passive pups.
Decipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #10
dotlike

loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Customisbetter View Post
looks cool but how does it sound?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galius View Post
Neato. Might have to try this on my intrepid. I wonder if the pickup being covered by plactic affects the tone or output.
just like without the covers. (regular) plastic doesn't interact with magnetic fields like nickel or other metals used for regular pickup covers do

Quote:
Originally Posted by powergroover View Post
now everyone will wonder why this particular guitar with emg's sounded different(better) than any other else

on a sidenote: the hate for EMG808 is largely overblown, imo. my only issue with the EMG808s making me want to try out something different was the fact that they're quite muddy on the low F#.
i'm not super impressed by the cold sweats, but the low end is definitely clearer and tighter now
Unread 03-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
Bald and gribbly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loktide View Post
i'm not super impressed by the cold sweats, but the low end is definitely clearer and tighter now
Daft question, did you swap out all the pots as well?
Unread 03-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #12
ss.org Regular

tofumannen is on a distinguished road
Very nice man. I actually thought about that aswell, but I dont have an RG2228
Would be very nice to hear some clips :P
tofumannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #13
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

djpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 129 reviews
Glad they worked my friend
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

splinter8451 is just really nicesplinter8451 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
That looks pretty hot. Could you get different colored covers?

"And I want a blowjob from Emma Watson, but sometimes we just gotta deal with what we're given!" -The Armada

my youtube channel- http://www.youtube.com/user/vitreusMD?feature=mhum SikTh, Cyclamen After the Burial covers. More on the way!
splinter8451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #15
SS.org Regular

I_infect is a glorious beacon of lightI_infect is a glorious beacon of lightI_infect is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Curious, did you have any problems with the BKP mounting ears? Did you have to trim those down as well, and any alignment issues with the ear screw holes on either the pickup or the cover?

Extended Scale Destroyer of Worlds

Still searching for the perfect cab...
I_infect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #16
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Nice, glad to see those work with the 8 string BKPS

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #17
stay tuned

damigu is just really nicedamigu is just really nice
looks good--it's always nice when you can do a pickup swap without making things look all weird.
damigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 08:02 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

MaKo´s Tethan is shredding to new heights.MaKo´s Tethan is shredding to new heights.MaKo´s Tethan is shredding to new heights.MaKo´s Tethan is shredding to new heights.MaKo´s Tethan is shredding to new heights.MaKo´s Tethan is shredding to new heights.MaKo´s Tethan is shredding to new heights.
wow!!! I wish to buy plastic covers...love how they look, but love passives too. awesome mod, looks like from factory.

MaKo´s Tethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #19
Loves his Q-tuners

Cheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Finally! Its about time someone finally did this!

Oh and pickups kinda have plastic covers on them to begin with... adding more plastic doesn't effect the magnetic field at all since plastic isn't magnetic.
Cheesebuiscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 03:13 AM   #20
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
that was awesome, clever work
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 03:35 AM   #21
Banned

iondestroyer1527 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
thanks A LOT this is f'n awesome. i now how zero reson not to get the lundgren for the bridge of my LTD.
iondestroyer1527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 03:40 AM   #22
dotlike

thx dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaldIan View Post
Daft question, did you swap out all the pots as well?
passives with 25kOhm pots? no thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpharoah View Post
Glad they worked my friend
thanks to you, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_infect View Post
Curious, did you have any problems with the BKP mounting ears? Did you have to trim those down as well, and any alignment issues with the ear screw holes on either the pickup or the cover?
i had to trim down the mounting ears on the coldsweats a little to fit in the routes. other than that, the holes on the coldsweats match the ones from the EMG808s and the replacement covers perfectly.
Unread 03-12-2010, 03:46 AM   #23
dotlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinter8451 View Post
That looks pretty hot. Could you get different colored covers?
hm, not listed at GuitarJones. but maybe someplace else? you could also spray-paint them
Unread 03-12-2010, 03:57 AM   #24
Bald and gribbly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loktide View Post
passives with 25kOhm pots? no thx
Like I said daft question, but it's been known to happen.
If you don't keep the Cold Sweats what's next on the list to try?
Unread 03-12-2010, 04:03 AM   #25
dotlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaldIan View Post
Like I said daft question, but it's been known to happen.
If you don't keep the Cold Sweats what's next on the list to try?
lundgren M8

i have a M7 in my 7680 (also 27" scale) and it's a COMPLETELY different pickup than the common BKP. the lundgren has a ....TON more output, gain and bite. BKPs are also cool, but are more dynamic and have a weird 'quacky' attack to them which i'm not used to. on the other hand, i love how the warpig sounds on my rg3120.

i'll record some clips first and'll see how the coldsweat's sit in a mix. that's my major concern actually