homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Interviews, Reviews & Tech Articles > The Sevenstring.org Workbench
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

The Sevenstring.org Workbench How-To's, Lessons, Tech Articles, etc. to keep your gear and your playing in top shape. Contribute and submit your own!

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-12-2010, 05:53 AM   #26
Bald and gribbly.

BigBaldIan is just really niceBigBaldIan is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by loktide View Post
lundgren M8

i have a M7 in my 7680 (also 27" scale) and it's a COMPLETELY different pickup than the common BKP. the lundgren has a ....TON more output, gain and bite. BKPs are also cool, but are more dynamic and have a weird 'quacky' attack to them which i'm not used to. on the other hand, i love how the warpig sounds on my rg3120.

i'll record some clips first and'll see how the coldsweat's sit in a mix. that's my major concern actually
There's always the inevitable tweak phase after you get a new bit of kit, especially after swapping out pups. At least with you showing us this mod, passives now no longer have to look aesthetically blech.
BigBaldIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-12-2010, 05:56 AM   #27
1 less ERGNESS

ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
if i can chime in here for the M7. I have a slanted custom made M7 in my multiscale and it is quite impressive :

clean tone, every note is heard, no matter where i am on the fretboard, no matter what volume. really lovely creaming tone at mid volume with a nice reverb, really nice

distorted, it's where it shines : the clarity is there but the attack is enormous, heavy palm muting with those give me the impression of a huge rock being thrown in the water, that big thud..awesome!!!

the output being big, you can hold a note for a long time, i find it also really good at translating subtle pitch changes, bends, vibrato..etc...

Honestly a real nice pickup...really curious to hear what loktide has got to say about the M8

ps : all this is with a Roland cube 20X (the x is important) and all settings at noon!!!
ralphy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 06:16 AM   #28
... dat chugga

alvaro will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looks great! good job
alvaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #29
AVH
avhguitarrepair.com

AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Nice job Locktide, very clean work! Thanks for showing us - this should be made a sticky in the tech section.

I've been a Lundgren flagbearer/trumpeter for about 5 years now, using them myself and installing them for my customers and I can attest to all the attributes spoken of...except I want to bring everyone's attention to one aspect about the M-series that is misconcieved : the very high output. In actuality, the M's consistantly measure 13.0 to 13.8 ohms, which is med-high, while there are many much higher, measuring in the 16+ range. It's just in the way that they're wound and eq'd that gives the impression of very high output. Regardless, it's one of my favorite pickups, and my go-to in 7 & 8 string guitars for high gain work. Nothing gives you that 'djent' better.
AVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #30
Unleash the proggies

Fzau is just really niceFzau is just really nice
Great idea, man! Looks really cool!

I wonder if there are any covers for EMG707s, I'd like to swap them for BKP in my Loomis
TTWC Ben likes this.

You win, I'm your bitch now. - PnKnG

...if you... if you show me yours, i... iŽll show you mine!
(no, i donŽt actually have anything hahah!)
- MF_Kitten

I just imagined Pete naked holding a Blackmachine seductively.
I need to see that Hayley Williams pic again.
- vampiregenocide

Oh yeah, totally dude. I mean, shit, I rape my girlfriend all the time. It's tops
- Demoniac
Fzau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #31
Awful Jack-ass

6o66er is just really nice6o66er is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Dude awesome! Thanks for posting this! I've been wondering about how to install passives in an RGA8 since I'm planning on picking one up in the near future. Very well done!
6o66er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #32
SS.org Regular

Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Really nice cover-up job there, looks very tidy! As minor a detail as it is, whilst not being a massive fan of the pickups themselves I do like the EMG aesthetic, so that's pretty much a best of both worlds situation!
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #33
kvlt

7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold
Wow, those EMG casings are GREAT. That is bookmarked! Now, which ones would fit a 707 route?

possibly the DC35?
TTWC Ben likes this.
7deadlysins666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #34
dotlike

loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvaro View Post
looks great! good job
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendroaspis View Post
Nice job Locktide, very clean work! Thanks for showing us - this should be made a sticky in the tech section.

I've been a Lundgren flagbearer/trumpeter for about 5 years now, using them myself and installing them for my customers and I can attest to all the attributes spoken of...except I want to bring everyone's attention to one aspect about the M-series that is misconcieved : the very high output. In actuality, the M's consistantly measure 13.0 to 13.8 ohms, which is med-high, while there are many much higher, measuring in the 16+ range. It's just in the way that they're wound and eq'd that gives the impression of very high output. Regardless, it's one of my favorite pickups, and my go-to in 7 & 8 string guitars for high gain work. Nothing gives you that 'djent' better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o66er View Post
Dude awesome! Thanks for posting this! I've been wondering about how to install passives in an RGA8 since I'm planning on picking one up in the near future. Very well done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Really nice cover-up job there, looks very tidy! As minor a detail as it is, whilst not being a massive fan of the pickups themselves I do like the EMG aesthetic, so that's pretty much a best of both worlds situation!

thx dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fzau View Post
Great idea, man! Looks really cool!

I wonder if there are any covers for EMG707s, I'd like to swap them for BKP in my Loomis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7deadlysins666 View Post
Wow, those EMG casings are GREAT. That is bookmarked! Now, which ones would fit a 707 route?

possibly the DC35?

yep, i believe the 707 uses the EMG 35 housing.
loktide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #35
Dybbuk

Samer is pretty damn metal.Samer is pretty damn metal.Samer is pretty damn metal.Samer is pretty damn metal.Samer is pretty damn metal.Samer is pretty damn metal.Samer is pretty damn metal.Samer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Looks great, i wonder if only you and I have done this so far \m/
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #36
Tech Metal Guitarwiz

Guitarwiz2k is just really niceGuitarwiz2k is just really nice
Quote:
first off, major props to Mesh (djpharaoah) for finding a place where you can order EMG-style bass pickup plastic covers to retrofit an EMG808 (www.guitarjonesusa.com)

BEFORE: http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...MG_0838JPG.jpg

AFTER:
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...MG_0867JPG.jpg

so, here's how the covers look like. pretty much exact the same dimensions as the EMG808s (EMG40 housing), but hollow (duh?). the pickups that are going into these are a set of BKP Coldsweats

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...MG_0839JPG.jpg

since the pickup's baseplate is too thick to fit directly into the covers, i ended up sawing off the lower 5mm of the housing to get a tight fit:

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...MG_0843JPG.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...MG_0847JPG.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...MG_0845JPG.jpg

here's the result:

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...MG_0848JPG.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...MG_0874JPG.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...MG_0877JPG.jpg

cheers
Now that is some very good, very clean, excellent work. Thanks for the post and I hope to do the same with my RGA8, now I can have both worlds, active look, and a coil tap switch for passive sounds.
Guitarwiz2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #37
SS.org Regular

Euthanasia is a jewel in the rough
Wicked idea!!
Euthanasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #38
Unleash the proggies

Quote:

Awesome! Now to find EMG 35 housings in Europe
TTWC Ben likes this.

- MF_Kitten

- vampiregenocide

Oh yeah, totally dude. I mean, shit, I rape my girlfriend all the time. It's tops
- Demoniac
Unread 03-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #39
Thrashsquatch

yetti is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Sweet, now i can find something else for my H-207.

I am happy as cat that eat some fish than go to WC and then leacking it ass and then go to sleep - yevetz
yetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #40
dotlike

loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fzau View Post
Awesome! Now to find EMG 35 housings in Europe
i'm from germany and although i payed almost 25$ shipping, they arrived within two weeks
Unread 03-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #41
Unleash the proggies

The shipping is 5 times the price of the cover
Still manageable though!

Now to get enough money to buy BKP

- MF_Kitten

- vampiregenocide

- Demoniac
Unread 03-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #42
Jesus Saves

philkilla is a jewel in the rough
Awesome. The DC35 should work great with my ran than. I used to have a EMG 81-7 in there which has been replaced by the outstanding M7 of course.

I would love to fill the unsitely gap!

philkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 02:15 AM   #43
Kahler Abuser

Ironbird is a jewel in the rough
I did the exact same thing with a set of D Activators in my old Warlock (which I've since sold). The clean look is great!

Leave no stone unturned until I'm done.
Ironbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 05:38 AM   #44
dpm
Oni Guitars

dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I don't mean to be a party pooper but these covers are a full 2mm thick on top so limit how close your polepieces can get to the strings by quite a lot. Realistically the closest you'll be able to get the actual pickup to the strings is 3mm (1/8"), which is about twice what is generally recommended for a humbucker.
dpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 06:02 AM   #45
dotlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm View Post
I don't mean to be a party pooper but these covers are a full 2mm thick on top so limit how close your polepieces can get to the strings by quite a lot. Realistically the closest you'll be able to get the actual pickup to the strings is 3mm (1/8"), which is about twice what is generally recommended for a humbucker.
you're absolutely correct. that's why i readjusted the pickup height to find the pickup's sweet spot by ear. luckily, there's still enough headroom between the pickup cover and the string
Unread 03-18-2010, 07:12 AM   #46
Pantysniffing zombie

JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm View Post
Only active humbuckers need to be that close. My passives are quite a bit further away from the strings than that.
JJ Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #47
dpm
Oni Guitars

dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.
It depends on how far the magnetic field extends and what kind of tonal response you end up with. Closer will give a little more output and brightness, and generally sound a touch tighter and clearer and give a better signal to noise ratio. Some passive humbuckers with weaker magnetic fields will sound very weak 1/8" or more from the strings. If the pickup has a particularly strong field it can effect intonation being too close, but it's rare with humbuckers because the magnet is 'filtered' through the steel poles. BTW these measurements are based on outside strings fretted at the last fret, and the bass side is typically further from the strings than the treble side for string to string balance.

Re. the active thing, the coils and magnet inside are pretty much the same as passives, it's the cover thickness you're compensating for in putting them closer.
Unread 03-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #48
SS.org Regular

I_infect is a glorious beacon of lightI_infect is a glorious beacon of lightI_infect is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
5) EMG Pickups have very little magnetism compared to high-impedance
passive pickups. We recommend you adjust the pickups as close to
the strings as possible. Sustain and string movement will not be
inhibited by close adjustment.

^taken from EMG installation PDF

Extended Scale Destroyer of Worlds

Still searching for the perfect cab...
I_infect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #49
dpm
Oni Guitars

That's a simplification. Yes, taken from the top of the outside of the EMG pickup cover there is less magnetism.... however, if you put a 2mm piece of plastic on top of a typical humbucker you'll find the magnetic pull effected in the same way, relative to the top surface.
Unread 03-19-2010, 11:31 PM   #50
Poland CEO / RHLC ©

Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apophis View Post
that was awesome, clever work
I agree with Sebastian

S7Figures.DeviantArt.com - Metal Figures!
Sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote