homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #26
the Experimetalist

Location: the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as Manchester, England
Triple-J is a name known to allTriple-J is a name known to allTriple-J is a name known to allTriple-J is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't mind dents sometimes as it suits certain guitars for example my LP baritone is matte black and I've had it for around 4 years now and it's really taken on a life of it's own as the finish has aged.

My biggest guitar accident was with my 2nd guitar which was a used SG and while I was playing it one day the strap buttons came loose and the guitar dropped off me and onto the floor.
Strap buttons come loose all the time so I wasn't worried until I picked it up and noticed that the guitar cord had hit the ground first and had punched up into the body and took a big chunk of the body and the jack socket with it.

I was left with a ruined guitar with a round hole in it where the jack socket used to be and a guitar cord with the jack socket and a huge chunk of wood still attached to it!

"People percieve the rock world as a dichotomy such as 'metal vs alternative' or 'mainstream vs underground' but dichotomies aren't real they're human constructs " - Kim Thayil

"They don't really understand that he was a funny mother@$%ker, he was not some down, dour drug addict. Nobody laughed more than Kurt and we had great times together" - Buzz Osbourne

Triple-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #27
ss.org Regular

Landsi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-J View Post
Strap buttons come loose all the time so I wasn't worried until I picked it up and noticed that the guitar cord had hit the ground first and had punched up into the body and took a big chunk of the body and the jack socket with it.

I was left with a ruined guitar with a round hole in it where the jack socket used to be and a guitar cord with the jack socket and a huge chunk of wood still attached to it!
Man, that is nasty.
Landsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #28
SS.org Regular

Rotatous is just really niceRotatous is just really nice
Ha! My cat jumped up onto a really high shelf that's right above my guitars (sitting on stands). As I grabbed him he knocked a hexagonal glass paperweight off of the shelf and onto my main guitar, putting a medium sized dent into the side.

I still love my cat though.
Rotatous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #29
Undecided forever

Empryrean is a name known to allEmpryrean is a name known to allEmpryrean is a name known to allEmpryrean is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Dent's are pretty hard to dodge when you're living with a 3 year old who thinks she can hold up your 7321
Empryrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #30
Creator//Destroyer

TheMasterplan is just really niceTheMasterplan is just really nice
Hate it more when it's out of your control...

My Les Paul 7 was ....ing mint in every sense of the word but the ....ing strap pegs were stripped. Therefore when I played it standing up for the first time an hour in the top peg just popped out and I managed to grab the guitar just before it completely fell but the corner still hit my nightstand so there's a hairline scratch near the input jack. It's so tiny but it just makes me incredibly pissed off because it was something so stupid.
TheMasterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #31
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
It depends on how noticeable it is, and how much I like the guitar etc.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 07:46 PM   #32
SS.org Regular

Santuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiregenocide View Post
It depends on how noticeable it is, and how much I like the guitar etc.
It's not very noticeable, but I do love this guitar, it's my main guitar actually.
So, when I practiced today, I ran over the dent with my fingers just to remind myself it's there
Santuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #33
SS.org Regular

I_infect is a glorious beacon of lightI_infect is a glorious beacon of lightI_infect is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santuzzo View Post
It's not very noticeable, but I do love this guitar, it's my main guitar actually.
So, when I practiced today, I ran over the dent with my fingers just to remind myself it's there
grrr I hate that. keep that one as a player and keep your other one as a recording guitar. Don't feel so bad we all have our "player conditions"
I_infect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #34
Banned

8Fingers is just really nice8Fingers is just really nice
yes and no.
Yes if I was studying .
No if I was in a great gig.
8Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 08:18 PM   #35
SS.org Regular

EliNoPants is a glorious beacon of lightEliNoPants is a glorious beacon of lightEliNoPants is a glorious beacon of light
*I* don't dent my guitars, i've occasionally tagged the headstocks on stuff, but never left a mark

jackass roommates who chip the headstock, and then don't tell you about it on the other hand...THAT pisses me off
EliNoPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #36
Asian Women Fanatic

vortex_infinium is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotatous View Post
Ha! My cat jumped up onto a really high shelf that's right above my guitars (sitting on stands). As I grabbed him he knocked a hexagonal glass paperweight off of the shelf and onto my main guitar, putting a medium sized dent into the side.

Needless to say you're lying and had cat for dinner.

I'd piss me off for a few minutes if it was the first dent on a guitar. After that it's just battle scar after battle scar. The only time it'd really bother me is if it was a noticeable dent on a graphic.

And am I the only person that skimmed through the title and thought it was a thread about djent?
vortex_infinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #37
\m not jesus land m/

CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
OP, would you like me to take a picture of all 20 dents and gouges on my Ibanez RG7?

Whoever said "the best things in life are free" hasn't played an 80's RG" - TheSixthWheel
CrushingAnvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #38
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I'm very nice to my gear so it rarely gets hurt by my own actions, but I don't get upset if/when stuff eventually gets damaged cosmetically. It also doesn't bother me when I'm looking at buying used gear.
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #39
z o m b i e 1 3

Zombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
It bothers me only if it affects playability, but dents from shows I would say no, because those dents are little reminders of that show, which are nostalgic to me.
Zombie13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #40
Tube & Analog Snob

TomPerverteau is just really niceTomPerverteau is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotatous View Post

Mine is pretty good about not thrashing the guitars.
TomPerverteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 10:17 PM   #41
MFB
ExBendable

MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
No.

Why? Cause I'm a man.

(・ω・`)

In space, no one can hear you bree. - Metal Ken
MFB is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 10:23 PM   #42
Banned

Koshchei is a glorious beacon of lightKoshchei is a glorious beacon of lightKoshchei is a glorious beacon of light
I hate dents. I know it's hard to keep guitars in pristine condition, but just treating them as firewood the second they get that first ding doesn't exactly help them to last the 100 or so years they should be good for.

That said, I probably wouldn't care so much if my instruments were off the rack, where you can just order a replacement by part number, and then tweak to taste.
Koshchei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #43

Andrew_B is just really niceAndrew_B is just really nice
rule of life....

SHIT HAPPENS.... hahaha
Andrew_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 10:54 PM   #44
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFB View Post
No.

Why? Cause I'm a man.

agreed. i was looking at the loomis and i've noticed quite a few dings and shit. I treat my gear well, but that guitar has seen about 20 concerts, over 150 band practices, and it shows. There's a pretty nice scratch on the side of the neck that faces the floor, but i buffed it smooth so you cant feel it, and there's another ding to the wood by the control cavity, and a bunch of dents on the back. The trem is starting to loose the black paint on the bass side from palm muting, and a couple small dings on the sides and front. But god damn, it plays great, and it feels great, still looks great. And it has the story behind it.
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 01:34 AM   #45
SS.org Regular

Kayzer has much to be proud ofKayzer has much to be proud ofKayzer has much to be proud ofKayzer has much to be proud ofKayzer has much to be proud ofKayzer has much to be proud ofKayzer has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Dents on live/touring, studio and working guitars are freaking cool but they suck on collectible, rare and really expensive axes IMO… And the first dent always hurts really bad... ;-)
Kayzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 04:26 AM   #46
Giddyup.

Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santuzzo View Post
knocked over my 1527 onto my desk....this resulted a dent in the back of the neck and a tiny dent on the back of the headtock...AAARRGGHHH

Anybody else that gets bothered when they get a dent in their guitar?
I know your dent isn't paint related but he paint on 1527s chips far too easily! I hit the lower horn with my pick and it chipped off!!!!! I'm also ver picky when it comes to chips and such, I'm considering painting mine boring white because it already has two chips!!!
Prydogga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 04:30 AM   #47
SS.org Regular

Santuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prydogga View Post
I know your dent isn't paint related but he paint on 1527s chips far too easily! I hit the lower horn with my pick and it chipped off!!!!! I'm also ver picky when it comes to chips and such, I'm considering painting mine boring white because it already has two chips!!!
My dent is not very deep, so I don't evne know if it's only in the finish (laquer) or if it also affected the wood underneath. I have no idea how thick the laquer is on the neck.
Santuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 05:27 AM   #48
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Makes me glad I bought my Ibanez RG 7421 used. It wasn't beaten up exactly, a few chips here and there, but it at least made me less paranoid about bringing the guitar to places.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 06:03 AM   #49
Team Ibanez

mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I prefer djent on my guitarz
mattofvengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #50
Hasta la vista, Baby

Emperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I rarely buy a guitar brand new, even my last purchase was a B-stock So I don't give a shit about dents anymore
Emperoff is offline   Reply With Quote