homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-16-2006, 11:16 AM   #1
slow and low

skattabrain is just really niceskattabrain is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Should i add 3 EMG's to my RG1077XL?

I love EMG pickups and I really want my RG1077Xl to have that sound. I want an EMG 81-7 in the rear, but I don't want an active/passive mismatched system ... and i also want a uniform look.

problem is EMG makes no 7 string single coils. so assuming i'm not up for a dummy single coil in the middle or an empty slot ... i', thinking of adding 3 EMG humbuckers to it, making it a beast.

thoughts? am i nuts?

currently the pickups are stock ( ) with a Blaze Custom in the rear which is good, but it's no EMG.

Here are some photoshop chops ...

Before ...

After ...

skattabrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-16-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
slow and low

BTW - that would be

81-7 / 707 / 707
Unread 05-16-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
seven times seven

guitarjitsumaster is just really niceguitarjitsumaster is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
There doesnt seem to be to many EMG friendly people around here. I love them though, and they get an extreme tone that just cant be matched by any passive. Well except maybe those lundgren M-model PU's but I havent tried those yet. I say go for it. I love the look. It seems more clean to me to have all 3 EMG's rather then to mix it with a dummy single that would be useless anyhow. Kinda reminds me of rusty cooley's guitar with that blue color.

Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free-wills involve, and you find that you have excluded life itself.
guitarjitsumaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 11:31 AM   #4
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I think it'd be kinda cool looking. I love EMGs by the way.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 11:53 AM   #5
slow and low

jemsite.com doesn't have many EMG supporters either. i've had both over the years ... for me, nothing squeals like and EMG 81. not to mention the punch and gain.

now ... use them clean or for more bluesy application and yeah, they leave to be desired, but the paydirt for me is grinding metal sounds ... so that's where my heart is ... even though i play many different styles.
Unread 05-16-2006, 12:00 PM   #6
metalguitarist.org

Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I love, love, love the sound of 707's. I think 3-up EMG's looks a little silly, but it's your guitar. You're going to have to route and paint anyway, may as well either just fill the middle pickup slot, or get a pickguard and cover it.

Don't go 81-7 at the bridge though, go 707.

Amp: 6505+ / Recto 4x12s
Rack: Axe-Fx II / HD1221s
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 12:03 PM   #7
Ibanez Guitars

Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Based on looks only, I think the guitar looks beautiful as is. I'd go with white pickups in that but that's just me. As far as sound, whatever sounds good to you, you should do it.

My Guitar Videos My Band/Project

Guitars~

1991 Ibanez UV7PWH (Dead Mint),
1991 Ibanez UV7BK (Mint),
1998 (F97) Ibanez RG7620BK (refinished in Arctic White),
1999 Ibanez S7420FMTT (silver dot),
2013 Ibanez RG8WH,
1999 Fender Made in Mexico Strat (white, maple fretboard)
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 12:10 PM   #8
slow and low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Don't go 81-7 at the bridge though, go 707.

seeing that i love 81's in a 6'er ... why do you recommend the 707's? i thought they are more of an 85 sound. good for the neck.

chris ... nice, i mean nice sounds you got going there man. you strictly a solo project? you play live? i'll have to check you out when i'm back in boston. nice job man ... wicked tones.

i'm actually considering buying a C-7 hellraiser rather than cutting up my baby. how do you compare your hellraiser to your upper end RG's?

Last edited by skattabrain; 05-16-2006 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 05-16-2006, 12:28 PM   #9
XEN
(formerly urklvt)

XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I'm an EMG nut. I love the 81
XEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 12:31 PM   #10
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Doesn't EMG sell a booster that allows you to run passive pickups with their actives? If so, I'd do that rather than sticking three EMG's in there - it just looks a little funky to me.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 12:32 PM   #11
Pantysniffing zombie

JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I like EMG's, but I wouldn't carve that guitar up. Everytime someone does that to a discontinued guitar that I would really like it makes me cringe...I would try the X2N-7's or some higher output passives before chopping that guitar up.
JJ Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 12:46 PM   #12
slow and low

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Rodriguez
I would try the X2N-7's or some higher output passives before chopping that guitar up.
i bought the blaze "custom" because i was under the impression that it was the hottest pu available for a 7. i won't do another change unless it's an EMG.

i had an X2N in my old USA Custom 6 string ... yanked it to put in an EMG 81

i was thinking, at $300 just for the pickups, it's like a 3rd of the way there for a Hellraiser. plus i could use a fixed bridge to deal with the constant tuning changes i like to do.
Unread 05-16-2006, 12:47 PM   #13
-

metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
By putting EMG's in that you'll not only have the expense of 3 EMG's but you'll risk loosing a lot of value on the guitar. I think you'd be better off getting a Schecter Hellraiser or an ESP/LTD Steph Carpenter baritone that already have EMG's.

Try something high output like an X2N-7 or Drop Sonic-7 in the RG1077XL.
metalfiend666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 12:53 PM   #14
Viking Lord

Firebeard is just really niceFirebeard is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfiend666
Try something high output like an X2N-7 or Drop Sonic-7 in the RG1077XL.
I have to totally agree with metalfiend. I love EMGs but theres no way I would cut up a guitar to put them in. Especially that beauty, try passives and if those still don't cut it buy something with EMGs in it.

Sæmunder Firebeard
Firebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 01:01 PM   #15
Djentleman

angryman is just really niceangryman is just really nice
^ I totally agree with Metalfiend & Satanicmind, Don't carve up the guitar dude!
angryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 01:29 PM   #16
seven times seven

guitarjitsumaster is just really niceguitarjitsumaster is just really nice
I guess im just a total functionality fan. I really dont care about resell/collector value on my guitars because I only purchase and mod the way I want something after much consideration and my only considerations are tone and playability. Looks dont mean much to me. IMO the 3 EMG's look killer though. So I would say if its the sound you want in the guitar you want it in. Carve away! You can always get another 7 with passives to keep around for tonal options. If you are worried about resell values, then of course dont do something you might regret later. I think you know what you want though.

Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free-wills involve, and you find that you have excluded life itself.
guitarjitsumaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 01:40 PM   #17
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Why not try a set of Evolutions or Lundgrens before you decide to do an irreversible mod to your guitar? I've read that both Evos and Lundgren M-7 pickups come very close to the EMG tone and attack.

Plus, white Evos and a set of white knobs and a white switch tip look awesome on the 1077.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 01:49 PM   #18
{##[====:::.

Leon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by darren
Plus, white Evos and a set of white knobs and a white switch tip look awesome on the 1077.

Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 02:22 PM   #19
Spastic Kitchen!

bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do what you need to do, man.

I wouldn't go for the middle pup, but it's your guitar.

If you ever want to sell, it, PM me. I go through phases of wanting one of these RG1077XL's, so if you catch me with money, and you have one with EMG's...well, then I'd bet we could work something out.

I love EMG pickups, btw.

[URL="http://sites.google.com/site/bostjanzupancickhereb/"[/URL]
bostjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 02:52 PM   #20
slow and low

sorry guys, i don't like the white highlights at all ... looks like late 80's glam to me

sorry bostian, regarding resale, i'm never selling this guitar ... i will no longer pawn away any of my gear. i tossed away and Ibanez USA Custom - "The Necromancer's Castle" for $300 'cause i was hard up 1 day and hadn't played in a while. i look on ebay for it everyday. never again will i do that.

i've sold a hot rodded lee jackson custom amp ... oh the anguish. had a mint rocket roll stolen ... i even miss a RG520QS i had.

no more, from now on I just accumulate.

i love this guitar 120% ... i'm buying something else with EMG's and holding off carving for now. the lundgren sounds interesting and meshuggah rocks but their sound isn't what i want.

i want that squealing zakk wylde pinch harmonic sound.
Unread 05-16-2006, 03:10 PM   #21
I like beer

aldog1330 is a jewel in the rough
I would try either the Lundgren's or Bareknuckle's Warpigs before hacking the guitar up - only because you will never be able to reverse it if you do. Not to mention the cost of routing + the 3 pickups would most likely be more than a set of either the Lundgren's or Warpigs. But if you want to, more power to you! I would probably do some sort of dummy thing in the middle only because 3 707's to me looks a little silly, but if you are happy with it then go for it - who cares what we think!
aldog1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 03:13 PM   #22
slow and low

i may try the Lundgren, anyone here use the Model M7?
Unread 05-16-2006, 04:44 PM   #23
Shred Metal

guitarist-1 is on a distinguished road
That would be awesome....!!!!! I have two 707s in my K-7 and the sound is amazing.. They guy at my local shop said that I can add another pickup in the middle if I want... 3 EMG's=sex.... I might decide to put another pickup in..who knows..
guitarist-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 05:23 PM   #24
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
No. Leave it alone. Put real Dimarzios in there. The stock 1077XL ibanez/dim pickups are kind of weak.
zimbloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 05:34 PM   #25
wake up dead

7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
please don't cut up that guitar...if you want an EMG loaded guitar, by my M307...I've got 707's in it and an 81-7 too if you want that instead
7slinger is offline   Reply With Quote