homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-11-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Lenny has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
UV for a Carvin ?

would be smart to sell a UV for a carvin 7, also did any of you change the carvin pups to dimarzio's or whatever, I heard that you need to route and such/
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-11-2006, 09:35 PM   #2
metalguitarist.org

Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Which UV, and Which Carvin?

Amp: 6505+ / Recto 4x12s
Rack: Axe-Fx II / HD1221s
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
Ibanez Guitars

Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
UV is a great guitar. I have never played a Carvin 7 but I have always wanted one, I wouldn't trade or sell my UV for one though.....
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2006, 09:41 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

the 777,mirror pickguard, for a carvin 727 or 747 ,
Unread 05-11-2006, 09:44 PM   #5
Beer Sewer

Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thats a tough one! You really would have to try the necks out. They are vastly different. Carvin 7's are very well made and solid. Where are you located?

If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

www.myspace.com/wfkoehleriii
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeo7bjr/index.html
Popsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2006, 09:44 PM   #6
metalguitarist.org

Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.
I'd keep the UV, personally.

Unread 05-11-2006, 09:44 PM   #7
{##[====:::.

Leon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
you may be able to sell the UV for $$$, and buy a Carvin 7x7 with cash to spare, depending on the quality of the UV.

but really, have you played on the Carvin you're looking to trade in for? if you have, do you like it better than the UV? quality aside, it pretty much comes down to which one you feel the most comfortable with.

besides, we're mostly Ibanez nuts, and may be biased

Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
Ibanez Guitars

Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon
besides, we're mostly Ibanez nuts, and may be biased

...those Carvin 7s are sure nice though.

Keep the UV and buy a Carvin.
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2006, 09:50 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

I alrady have a hellraiser, great guitar but its so hard to have both, I'm in band and I either need to write solos all with or without the wammy, I was thinking of adding a floyd on the hellraiser but I was told it might cost as much as the damn guitar
Unread 05-11-2006, 09:55 PM   #10
metalguitarist.org

That'd be a hell (pardon the pun) of a job.

Unread 05-11-2006, 09:58 PM   #11
Cancer:The Crucifuct

Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn

...those Carvin 7s are sure nice though.

Keep the UV and buy a Carvin.

Agreed, to date the best 7 string I have ever played has been the Carvin, and this is after the UV, which is godly in its own right....

Save your pennies and buy the Carvin.
Cancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2006, 10:00 PM   #12
{##[====:::.

Leon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
keep the UV, get a Tremol-No.

Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2006, 10:02 PM   #13
The Fusion Guy!

jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.
If you're thinking about trading the UV for a Carvin 7 with a Floyd, I would say don't bother. The Carvin uses a crappy licensed Floyd that isn't nearly as good as the Ibanez LoPro bridge (or the current Edge Pro version), and you can't retrofit an Original Floyd Rose-7 on the Carvin without routing it, since it's very tightly routed for the "footprint" of the licensed Floyd, which is different than the OFR. You'd also want to swap the pickups, and you do have to rout the Carvin if you want DiMarzios. Duncans can fit just barely if you cut off some of the excess tape on the side of the pickup that often bunches up on one side.

I have a Carvin DC747 that I really like, but mine has a fixed bridge, and I'd undoubtedly rather have a UV if I used Floyds anymore.

Check out my home page: www.councilofone.net
jacksonplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2006, 10:13 PM   #14
SS Contributor

7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
heh, my two sevens are a 91 UV and a Carvin DC727.

I love em' both...but each has a different personality.
7StringofAblicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2006, 10:35 PM   #15
Yarrrrrr

shadowgenesis has much to be proud ofshadowgenesis has much to be proud ofshadowgenesis has much to be proud ofshadowgenesis has much to be proud ofshadowgenesis has much to be proud ofshadowgenesis has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Me <3 Carvin

i have yet to ever play a guitar that feels so perfect in my hand as my 727 does. I didnt' know the details of the floyd rose thing as above mentioned, but I must admit i'm not in love with the bridge. :-\.

As far as pickups, it depends. I ordered mine with a mahogony body and i think the bridge pickup sounds kinda honky, whereas i'm looking for something that sounds a lot more open and clear. I'm planning on putting in dimarzio's (air norton and blaze bridge), but i wasn't sure if i'd have to do some routing, and if so, how much. The standard body wood for the 727s and 747s is alder though, and I can't say I have any idea how it'd sound with an alder body.

As far as playability tho, I love the thing. and the distorted tones are as sweet as could be asked for. The electronics are nice, with the coil taps standard and phase switch fro center position only 10 bucks more. If you're not overly concerned with cosmetics you could probably buy the carvin with a good amount leftover in your pocket.

do itttt. i need more carvin players on this site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonplayer
you do have to rout the Carvin if you want DiMarzios.
how much? like.. an eentsie weentsie bit or is there going to be a gaping abyss in my guitar shuold i decide to switch em out for say, duncans?

Last edited by shadowgenesis; 05-11-2006 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
shadowgenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2006, 04:36 AM   #16
-

metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Or you could sell the Schecter and get an old UV or RG7620.
metalfiend666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2006, 08:12 AM   #17
Seen all good people

jim777 is the epitome of metal.jim777 is the epitome of metal.jim777 is the epitome of metal.jim777 is the epitome of metal.jim777 is the epitome of metal.jim777 is the epitome of metal.jim777 is the epitome of metal.jim777 is the epitome of metal.jim777 is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You don't have to route the Carvin to put in DiMarzios, you just dremel the pickup base a tiny bit. It's not a big deal. I've done it with DiMarzios. You HAVE to change the pickups in the Carvin, they suck. Carvin 6 string pickups are great, but the 7's are worthless.
If you live by the trem, you may not like the one in the Carvin. If you use it occasionally for effect, and it isn't a huge part of your style, you can likely live with it. I personally haven't tried to put an original Floyd in any of my Carvins, but if I needed that I would just buy one, give it to my luthier and he'd do it. I doubt the original Floyd would be as good a trem as the Edge, but again, unless you live in that trem you won't likely notice. I use a trem enough to not want a fixed bridge, but I don't do the dive bomb thing ever. The stocker on the Carvin has been 'good enough' for me. No better, no worse.
The necks are COMPLETELY different; not even close. The Carvin is bigger by a bit. I can live with it, because my main 6 is an ES-175. The Carvin neck is more like a folk guitar neck, basically. If you like the Universe, keep it. Trading it for a Carvin without playing the Carvin first might leave you very disapointed. And, like everyone has said, Carvin's sell cheaply used. I'd keep the UV and pickup a cheap used Carvin. If you like the Carvin, get one made for you to your specs later on. They are both great guitars, but they really are very different from each other.

...diagonally parked in a parallel universe...

Please visit freerice.com if you get bored online
jim777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2006, 08:33 AM   #18
I poop in shoes.

nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Tell you what....why don't you go ahead and give me your UV and buy the Carvin???
nitelightboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2006, 09:22 AM   #19
SS Contributor

7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
and the tone is sooo subjective. I actually like the pickups in my carvin...i might change them one day...but not any time soon. My UV still has blazes in it but the carvin pups have more mids (not like my old 7620 though).

From what i see, i'd keep the UV...you don't want to be dissapointed with it and regret selling the UV.
7StringofAblicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2006, 09:30 AM   #20
Seen all good people

jim777 is the epitome of metal.jim777 is the epitome of metal.jim777 is the epitome of metal.jim777 is the epitome of metal.jim777 is the epitome of metal.jim777 is the epitome of metal.jim777 is the epitome of metal.jim777 is the epitome of metal.jim777 is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Yeah, Carvin puts the same pickups in everything, and they sell lots of wood combos. Not terribly forward thinking

...diagonally parked in a parallel universe...

Please visit freerice.com if you get bored online
jim777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2006, 11:29 AM   #21
The Fusion Guy!

jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
You don't have to route the Carvin to put in DiMarzios, you just dremel the pickup base a tiny bit. It's not a big deal. I've done it with DiMarzios.
You're not the first person I've run into who did that, and I just don't see how that's possible, since the base on the DiMarzios is the same width as the rest of the pickup--if the base stuck out, I could see it...

Duncan sevens are quite a bit narrower than DiMarzios--about halfway between DiMarzio and Carvin pickups, actually. The Duncan Distortion in my DC747 fits so snugly that I didn't even have to screw it down. It would take some severe pressure to even move it a smidgeon. But I didn't have to rout the guitar or dremel the pickup.

I wish Carvin would get over all those little weird things they do like odd-sized pickups and such. There's absolutely no reason for it other than sheer stubbornness.

Check out my home page: www.councilofone.net
jacksonplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2006, 11:48 AM   #22
I'm your huckleberry

noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I guess I'm going to have to be one of the Ibanez descenters in the crowd. UV's may look nice, but they're basswood, and I have never been able to get the tone I like out of a basswood guitar. Meanwhile, I've played several 727's and 747's that sounded nice and thick, with that full chunk that I just don't hear out of basswood.

Ibanez trems don't impress me, but neither do the Carvin trems. For me, it's OFR-7 or fixed bridge.

Sell the UV, and you can practically afford two Carvins.

Noodles
Division: American Metal without the suck.
kxksales@gmail.com
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2006, 01:14 PM   #23
-

metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonplayer
You're not the first person I've run into who did that, and I just don't see how that's possible, since the base on the DiMarzios is the same width as the rest of the pickup--if the base stuck out, I could see it...
I had to do the same with my Schecter A-7. The bobbins fitted, but the fibreglass (or whatever it is they're made of) mounting plates were too wide. 2 minutes with a Dremmel and they fitted a treat. The bases are wider on those pickups, but I've had no experience with metal based Dimarzio 7's.
metalfiend666 is offline   Reply With Quote