homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-13-2009, 06:09 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

Masadar has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fanned Fret info?

Well ive been told by a few ppl i know on here that they absolutley LOVE having a faned fretboard. Now i'm seriously considering it as an option on a custom i want to get made.......problem is in my shity small town there is no way in HELL ill ever be able to try one before i get it made but as it currently stands when i play guitar it doesn't feel "natural" to me and ive been told that a fanned fretboard would probably cure my blues....What do you all think?

I know its a dumb question but is there anything i can try at home that would give me even just a super basic feel as to what it would feel like?

THANKS FOR READING!!!!
Masadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
Pursuit Youth

Pursuit will become famous soon enough
I remember a thread I saw over on Jemsite a long time back regarding fanned frets.

Who Here Uses Fanned Frets? - Jemsite

The reception was "interesting" .

I actually made a post on the second page. I think if you see it you'll gather that I personally don't like the looks of them.

But playability is most important. I however, have never played them.

If you haven't played them, I'd just use straight frets and not take such a risk.

Live 4 God!!!
Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
Hairy Old Bloke

hairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Hm, not really. There aren't any (AFAIK) production multiscale guitars available...

GADZOOKS AND ODDS BODKINS!!!!!
Not a hipster: Blackmachine, Jaden Rose, Paul Reed Smith, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson, Gibson, Boss, Diezel, Marshall, Framus, VHT, Ampeg, Electro Harmonix, Korg, Alesis, MFB, Doepfer, Moog, Arturia.
hairychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

Lol i was thinking of maybe geting a skinny pice of wood and Drawing the frets on it and curving the back just so i can get a feel of what its like.....that idea came to me in a dream hahahaha
Unread 05-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
Loves his Q-tuners

Cheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Dingwall basses have fanned frets if you have anywhere around you that might have those.

I used to be near a place that carried a few so.
Cheesebuiscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

I WISH!! my buddy Crucified has a dingwall with fanned frets but alas he lives 4 hours away over Mountains and thru Rivers.
Unread 05-13-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
dpm
Oni Guitars

dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masadar View Post
Well ive been told by a few ppl i know on here that they absolutly LOVE having a faned fretboard. Now im seriously considering it as an option on a custom i want to get made.......problem is in my shity small town there is no way in HELL ill ever be able to try one before i get it made but as it currently stand whe i paly guitar it doesnt feel "natural" to me and ive been told that a fanned fretboard would probably cure my blues....What do you all think?

I know its a dumb question but is there anythigi can try at home that would give me even just a super basic feel as to what it would feel like?

THANKS FOR READING!!!!
try to describe what doesn't feel "natural"... I might be able to give you some idea of whether or not f'd frets will help
dpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #8
ERG Drummer!

MerlinTKD is a name known to allMerlinTKD is a name known to allMerlinTKD is a name known to allMerlinTKD is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have a body that I eventually hope to have a custom neck built for, and I've been seriously considering fanned frets, mainly for the increase in string length and tension on the lower strings. I've been thinking 27" or 28" on the low end to 25" on the high, myself.

Folks who've played them and like them claim it follows the natural angle of the hand more... it does make sense for the low string frets to lean toward the bridge as you go up the neck, but I've always wondered about the nut end...

Actually, I just tried it on my guitar... if you tuck your elbow, my hand naturally leans the way the frets lean on a fanned neck, down towards the nut, and can easily rotate the other way as I move up. Try it, it's very interesting... it could potentially relieve a lot of wrist stress I get, I think.

That alone has convinced me to do the fanned fret neck for my next guitar.
MerlinTKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 11:41 PM   #9
prototyping...

Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masadar View Post
Lol i was thinking of maybe geting a skinny pice of wood and Drawing the frets on it and curving the back just so i can get a feel of what its like.....that idea came to me in a dream hahahaha
You're on the right track
Instead of drawing the frets on by hand just use this website FretFind 2-D and print out a fretboard and tape it onto wood or cardboard.
Durero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2009, 12:11 AM   #10
kvlt

7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durero View Post
You're on the right track
Instead of drawing the frets on by hand just use this website FretFind 2-D and print out a fretboard and tape it onto wood or cardboard.
Can those images be printed to actual fretboard size easily? Im thinking about building a guitar just so I can have one with fanned frets. I think that would be one of the hardest part, other than making the neck all together, understanding how to measure where the frets should be...especially with fanned frets.
7deadlysins666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2009, 01:21 AM   #11
prototyping...

Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7deadlysins666 View Post
Can those images be printed to actual fretboard size easily?
Yes I've printed out fretboard diagrams and measured them with my digital callipers and they've been exactly to scale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7deadlysins666 View Post
Im thinking about building a guitar just so I can have one with fanned frets. I think that would be one of the hardest part, other than making the neck all together, understanding how to measure where the frets should be...especially with fanned frets.
Actually measuring the fanned-frets is just as easy as straight frets, its just that you have to do it twice: once for your highest string and again for your lowest string. The other strings fall into place.
Durero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #12
kvlt

7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durero View Post
Actually measuring the fanned-frets is just as easy as straight frets, its just that you have to do it twice: once for your highest string and again for your lowest string. The other strings fall into place.
Wow awesome... I thought you might be able to do it like that , but then again I thought it might be more to it than that. Thanks...maybe when I get some extra $$ i'll build fanned guit to fiddle with.
7deadlysins666 is offline   Reply With Quote