homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
7-String Samurai

Flux_Architect has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
In the Case VS. On the Wall

I have recently acquired a guitar that I actually give a shit about now (RG7620RB). My previous guitar was an old EX series Ibanez, that I would just leave lying around the house (and still do.)

I am constantly torn now on whether to case my 7620 when I'm not playing it, or hang it on the wall. (via Hercules Hanger)

Is there really any benefit to casing the guitar all the time? (As far as keeping the lo-pro minty, etc....)

Thanks.
Flux_Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #2

Ruins is a name known to allRuins is a name known to allRuins is a name known to allRuins is a name known to all
not really.
you just achieve the following benefits:
- no one will step/sit/kick/drop/spit or cause any other physical damage to the guitar.
- you avoid the chance of direct sun light burning the hell out of your paint job or drying the wood .
(dangerous only in long periods of time, weeks, months, not day or hour)
-humidity? the case wont save it.
Ruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Sometimes you might knock it taking it out of the case?

If you live in a temperate place and you have the room, I'd go for wall mounting. Just keep it out of the direct sunlight, make sure its not too humid and obviously the hanger os solid. There are few greater works of art than a guitar, so why not show it off
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
Iraq Lobster.

synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The only downside to hanging that bothers me (besides what's already been mentioned) is the dust factor. Dust is mine enemy!!

Other than that, the other responses sum it up.
synrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
Kenyon class of 2014

Dusty201087 is a glorious beacon of lightDusty201087 is a glorious beacon of lightDusty201087 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by synrgy View Post
The only downside to hanging that bothers me (besides what's already been mentioned) is the dust factor. Dust is mine enemy!!

Dude, you know those compressed cans of air for cleaning off keyboards and stuff? Those work wonders on your guitars. I know how you feel

And TC, I'd say hang it up but keep it in a low-traffic area. Regardless of what you do, the guitar isn't going to be perfect forever. I'm not saying go outside and relic it yourself or anything, but eventually it's going to get beat up

"But man is to such an extent partial to a system and an abstract conclusion that he is prepared deliberately distort the truth, prepared to see nothing and to hear nothing, simply in order to justify his logic." - Fyodor Dostoevsky (Notes From the Underground)
Dusty201087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by synrgy View Post

True, but I've come to find my guitar gets dusty regardless lol and teh furry interior of my case is liek a dust magnet. Besides, the guitar will be hanging vertically, so there is less of an area for dust to settle.
Unread 04-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
Banned

∆xitosus has a spectacular aura about
well if its in a case, its not getting (as) dusty.

thats about the only difference.

I would advise against leaning it against the wall though, as that might lead to some neck problems. it owuld probably take a few months to be leaning there untouched for anything to happen, but better to play it safe than sorry
∆xitosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
7-String Samurai

Flux_Architect has a spectacular aura about
Thanks Guys. I know in time I will not "baby" my guitar as much...but I have wanted this guitar for a couple of years...

The greatest benefit for me to hang it is having "quick" access to it...instead of grabbing the case, opening it up, putting on the strap, plugging in the cord, etc...

Just Grab &

I just didn't know if the metal being exposed to air helped to "age" the trem or anything...

I usually wipe it down after I play so it's not all dirty/oily...and it's definitely out of the sun.

EDIT: Also...the Hercules Hanger holds it away from the wall about 6"....so it never touches anything but the padded hanger.
Flux_Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
A Chap Called Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux_Architect View Post
Thanks Guys. I know in time I will not "baby" my guitar as much...but I have wanted this guitar for a couple of years...

The greatest benefit for me to hang it is having "quick" access to it...instead of grabbing the case, opening it up, putting on the strap, plugging in the cord, etc...

Just Grab &

I just didn't know if the metal being exposed to air helped to "age" the trem or anything...

I usually wipe it down after I play so it's not all dirty/oily...and it's definitely out of the sun.

EDIT: Also...the Hercules Hanger holds it away from the wall about 6"....so it never touches anything but the padded hanger.
Metal takes years to oxidise, depending on what kind it is. Thats probably not worth worrying about lol By that time you will probably have other guitars and you could probably buy a new trem.
Unread 04-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #10
ss.org Regular

Schivosa is on a distinguished road
What about having a guitar in a case standing on its feet for extended periods? Would that have any effect on the neck?
Schivosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I just leave my guitars out on stands.
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #12
ss.org Regular

Curt-Platt will become famous soon enough
personally - case it.
if its a guitar worth caring about then you want to protect it.
Curt-Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 05:43 PM   #13
Turd Ferguson

yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Hangers FTW!!!
yellowv is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #14
Banned

Koshchei is a glorious beacon of lightKoshchei is a glorious beacon of lightKoshchei is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty201087 View Post
Dude, you know those compressed cans of air for cleaning off keyboards and stuff? Those work wonders on your guitars. I know how you feel
ACK BAD! Don't use those! If any of the fluid comes out and hits your guitar, the thermal shock will damage your finish. Not sure about how much it takes to crack poly, but you can wreck a nitro finish in seconds with canned air.

And yeah, the guitars I play regularly are out on stands.
Koshchei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #15
Kenyon class of 2014

Dusty201087 is a glorious beacon of lightDusty201087 is a glorious beacon of lightDusty201087 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshchei View Post
ACK BAD! Don't use those! If any of the fluid comes out and hits your guitar, the thermal shock will damage your finish. Not sure about how much it takes to crack poly, but you can wreck a nitro finish in seconds with canned air.

And yeah, the guitars I play regularly are out on stands.
Shit. Oh well, at least I'm only playing a shitty 006. As long as the thing plays I don't care it's getting shipped as soon as I get a new guitar.

"But man is to such an extent partial to a system and an abstract conclusion that he is prepared deliberately distort the truth, prepared to see nothing and to hear nothing, simply in order to justify his logic." - Fyodor Dostoevsky (Notes From the Underground)
Dusty201087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #16
Correct-handed

leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
I just leave my guitars out on stands.
I've been doing it like that for 6 years. Nothing has happened to any of my guitars.
leftyguitarjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #17
SS.org Regular

Mindcrime1204 is just really niceMindcrime1204 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
Hangers FTW!!!
Dude, I wouldn't be able to leave your house if I walked into that room...

Nice little variety \m/
Mindcrime1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #18
SS.org Regular

Demeyes is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I leave all my guitars lying around on stands. That way I can pick them up easily and play them. I used to keep a few in cases but cases always end up getting moved in my house making them hard to get the guitars from easily.
If you make sure you have it on a stand somewhere out of the way then there should be no trouble and you're guitar will be kept in good nick.
Demeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 10:52 AM   #19

Andrew_B is just really niceAndrew_B is just really nice
polyurethane does seem to be extrememly affective at attracting dust....
i have an 8 guitar rack....
i play atleast one of them daily, and they always have dust on them....
maybe the fact i build guitars and restore furniture means i have alot more dust around here than most of you blokes though lol

imo hangers are no good
single stands like to get knocked over or break
and leaning guitars on things can have its pros and cons lol
Andrew_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #20
Orange Vigilante

AvantGuardian is a glorious beacon of lightAvantGuardian is a glorious beacon of lightAvantGuardian is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I used to keep all of my guitars hung on the wall until we had a 6.8 earthquake up here (Seattle) several years ago. None of the guitars actually fell off the hangers, but they did bang against the wall a bit. No serious damage, but it has since prompted me to keep my guitars on one of those sturdy 5-guitar rack type stands instead. I assume this wouldn't be an issue for you though in Texas.
AvantGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #21
Hairy Old Bloke

hairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sharing a flat I can't really leave any of mine out in the living area, and I keep my bedroom window open all seasons so can you say 'temperature fluctuation'?

My good ones stay cased until I need them, ditto acoustic & classical, Agile 8 is on a stand and the Hellraiser I use for band is in a gig bag.

GADZOOKS AND ODDS BODKINS!!!!!
Not a hipster: Blackmachine, Jaden Rose, Paul Reed Smith, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson, Gibson, Boss, Diezel, Marshall, Framus, VHT, Ampeg, Electro Harmonix, Korg, Alesis, MFB, Doepfer, Moog, Arturia.
hairychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #22
Cherokee Warrior

TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I used to have them out on the multi-stand, but the new place is smaller, so I just pull them out as I'm using them. I have the multi stand in the living room near the studio door, so I can bring them all out at once if I'm working all day, otherwise, I just bring out the one I plan to use. Last night I was transferring tracks from Cubase to Sonor, so I didn't even pull any of them out.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=268162
Seven Strings to rule them all, Seven Strings to find them, Seven Strings to bring them all and in the music bind them.
TonyFlyingSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote