homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-06-2009, 04:06 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

Masadar has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pine any good for a guitar body?

Well theres this Gargantuan pine tree in my front yard that sadly is going to be cut down as its comming to close to the power lines and its roots are starting to tap into my plumbing so its gotta go. Now i just wanna know if its useable for a body as id love to be able to just make some cheap guitars for practice. Any ever heard of using pine? id love to know thanks!!
Masadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-06-2009, 04:20 AM   #2
I'm a robot...

74n4LL0 is a glorious beacon of light74n4LL0 is a glorious beacon of light74n4LL0 is a glorious beacon of light
well it's good.
There's a Telecaster classic vibe squier out there (basically the first telecaster was pine body) and a lot of tele lovers actually swear for it.

it should be resonant, slightly bright and with a good response...

now make a tele! It's a simple guitar, so it's also a good idea for a first guitar
74n4LL0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
Kenyon class of 2014

Dusty201087 is a glorious beacon of lightDusty201087 is a glorious beacon of lightDusty201087 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74n4LL0 View Post
well it's good.
There's a Telecaster classic vibe squier out there (basically the first telecaster was pine body) and a lot of tele lovers actually swear for it.

it should be resonant, slightly bright and with a good response...

now make a tele! It's a simple guitar, so it's also a good idea for a first guitar
This. Pine teles ftw I've never actually gotten to play one but jesus, they sound pretty nice.

"But man is to such an extent partial to a system and an abstract conclusion that he is prepared deliberately distort the truth, prepared to see nothing and to hear nothing, simply in order to justify his logic." - Fyodor Dostoevsky (Notes From the Underground)
Dusty201087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
Banned

Scali is just really niceScali is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There are different types of pine though.
The Classic Vibe is made from a relatively heavy/dense type of pine. Not all types of pine are suitable for guitar making, because they're just too soft.
Scali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
If you're just looking for something to mess with for a first build, it doesn't really matter what type of wood you use... go for it!
troyguitar is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
Banned

hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masadar View Post
Well theres this Gargantuan pine tree in my front yard that sadly is going to be cut down as its comming to close to the power lines and its roots are starting to tap into my plumbing so its gotta go. Now i just wanna know if its useable for a body as id love to be able to just make some cheap guitars for practice. Any ever heard of using pine? id love to know thanks!!
It will work just fine but the wood needs to be seasoned....

Once cut you must be sure that the wood humidity drops down to at least 8 - 9 % humidity....

Then it must acclimatate to the environement in which you will be building it for a couple weeks, recommended workshop athmosphere is 45-50% humidity....

Only then you can plain it.....

If you dont do that the wood will shrink later on and crack, swell etc.....

I have experimented with pine, its fantastic stuff but keep in mind that its also very fragile depending on which specie you will be using....

Good luck
hufschmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 10:26 AM   #7
Loathes emulation...

CynicEidolon is just really niceCynicEidolon is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ......... View Post
It will work just fine but the wood needs to be seasoned....

Once cut you must be sure that the wood humidity drops down to at least 8 - 9 % humidity....

Then it must acclimatate to the environement in which you will be building it for a couple weeks, recommended workshop athmosphere is 45-50% humidity....

Only then you can plain it.....

If you dont do that the wood will shrink later on and crack, swell etc.....

I have experimented with pine, its fantastic stuff but keep in mind that its also very fragile depending on which specie you will be using....

Good luck

This... And that is merely because I have no idea and I think he knows a lot.

My faith is sound and sound is my faith.

BREA http://www.breaband.com
Post-metal/Ambient/Stoner-Rock
(Isis, Jesu, Mastodon, Intronaut, Textures, Rosetta)

Artisan Studio
www.facebook.com/artisanstudio
CynicEidolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #8
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

djpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 134 reviews
I've heard of Teles being made out of Pine and they have some serious tone.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
Banned

hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpharoah View Post
I've heard of Teles being made out of Pine and they have some serious tone.
They do, amazing acoustic sounding solid body instruments....

The one I built turned out to be the most resonant guitar I ever built, but its very fragile wood......

Benedetto made an epic pine guitar to demonstrate that bad tonewood does not exist...

Turned out to be one of his best sounding archtops...

I finally found the picture of my pine guitar^^ I put benedetto pickups on it as well

Unread 04-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

Masadar has a spectacular aura about
Wow thanks guys this wont be my first guitar build as im building a Bubinga 7 string with my Father as a Mentor but i was thinkin of trying out building a pine one myself.

Now does anyone know how id go about finding out what type of pine tree it is? i can take a picture of it if anyone thinks they can figure it out just by looking.

To bad about how the wood has to acclimate to the working environment..i thinking of using my sundeck.... GET OUT OF MY HEAD DEVRIES!!!

JUST KIDDING. But thats still good to know.

So if its such fragile wood would it make more sense to just build solid body guitars with no inner chambers or anything and would i want to shy away from a V style body cuz if it is that fragile it would REALLLLLLY suck balls to snap off a leg just putting it in its case.

THANKS AGAIN PEEPS

PS sick lookin guits HUF!
Masadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 05:36 PM   #11
This is bat country

Raoul Duke is just really niceRaoul Duke is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ......... View Post

I finally found the picture of my pine guitar^^ I put benedetto pickups on it as well

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/2935/dsc00935tx7.jpg
That wood looks awesome

I don't think it's nice, you laughing. You see, my mule don't like people laughing. Gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it...
Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 02:28 AM   #12
Banned

It was 2 piece of pine which i bought for less then 8 dollars, then I laminated them together like a sandwish to make the proper body thickness

Then I stained it with a regular braun stain and oil finished it

I did not sand the body and left all the work and stress marks on the guitar top, back and sides...
Unread 04-07-2009, 03:54 AM   #13
This is bat country

Raoul Duke is just really niceRaoul Duke is just really nice
What can i say...

I have simple tastes

I don't think it's nice, you laughing. You see, my mule don't like people laughing. Gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it...
Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 08:08 AM   #14
Hairy Old Bloke

hairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Would using multiple layers help with the strength?

GADZOOKS AND ODDS BODKINS!!!!!
Not a hipster: Blackmachine, Jaden Rose, Paul Reed Smith, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson, Gibson, Boss, Diezel, Marshall, Framus, VHT, Ampeg, Electro Harmonix, Korg, Alesis, MFB, Doepfer, Moog, Arturia.
hairychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairychris View Post
Would using multiple layers help with the strength?
Its like spruce, very fragile.....

The only way would be to spray a very thick coat of 2 part lacquer to make it become very strong...
Unread 04-07-2009, 08:23 AM   #16
Banned

Koshchei is a glorious beacon of lightKoshchei is a glorious beacon of lightKoshchei is a glorious beacon of light
What about a tonally inert casing or rim to protect a pine core, similar to the carbon-fibre Oni? You could probably design an instrument that sounds massively huge while isolating the pickups to keep down feedback with a little applied physics.
Koshchei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshchei View Post
What about a tonally inert casing or rim to protect a pine core, similar to the carbon-fibre Oni? You could probably design an instrument that sounds massively huge while isolating the pickups to keep down feedback with a little applied physics.
Sure that would be great as an experiment, I would never do something like that but I'm sure that somebody could try and it would turn out great...