homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-28-2006, 04:45 AM   #1
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Extra high string experiment

So i wanted to play along to some new school testament songs, which tune to C# Standard... i had a really light guage on my Schecter from messing around with a set of strings that had equal tension on all strings, (so it was really light) so i tuned the thing from C# with a high F#.. And.. You know.. Its really freaking fun. The chords sound really cool with the extra high note.. i think i'm gonna lighten up everything a few notches and try to tune D with a high G... right now, the 9 guage is the F#.. i'm ASSUMING (havent calculated yet) that i'd be able to take an 8 up to G.. i'm actually kinda stoked about the whole thing. its SO disorienting with everything being shifted down by a string... but i'm getting the hang of it.. Arpeggio shapes are new and different lol

If you list your gear in your signature, you're a prick.
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-28-2006, 04:48 AM   #2
Wannabe Shredder

Hawksmoor is a glorious beacon of lightHawksmoor is a glorious beacon of lightHawksmoor is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Ken
So i wanted to play along to some new school testament songs, which tune to C# Standard... i had a really light guage on my Schecter from messing around with a set of strings that had equal tension on all strings, (so it was really light) so i tuned the thing from C# with a high F#.. And.. You know.. Its really freaking fun. The chords sound really cool with the extra high note.. i think i'm gonna lighten up everything a few notches and try to tune D with a high G... right now, the 9 guage is the F#.. i'm ASSUMING (havent calculated yet) that i'd be able to take an 8 up to G.. i'm actually kinda stoked about the whole thing. its SO disorienting with everything being shifted down by a string... but i'm getting the hang of it.. Arpeggio shapes are new and different lol
Beware of string breaks, G is quite high a pitch even for .08

Trust your ears.

In life and music, what is is but that doesn't always mean it's what it should. Change, is in our hands.

My band: http://www.corpusweb.eu/
Hawksmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2006, 04:57 AM   #3
I want a 1527!!

Ibanez_fanboy can only hope to improve
yeah, the high g on a 12 string is usually first to break
Ibanez_fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2006, 07:13 AM   #4
XEN
(formerly urklvt)

XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Dude, I used to play a lot of F# tuning with my Steinberger TransTrem. Fun!

Now if only they made a 7-string so I could go down to C#...........

Oh yeah, and it was a calibrated 0.009 string on that F#.
XEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2006, 08:13 AM   #5

Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Good luck. I'd stick with the C# though, since I'm starting to love that tuning.
Toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2006, 01:24 PM   #6
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
well, i dont think that 8 would be a problem for G.. i mean, i've got the 9 on F#, and the schecter's a 26.5" Scale. .i've done some bends on it and whatnot, and its staying put just fine. I'm probably gonna take a whirl at messing around with the string tension calculator and see if i can't come up with a decent set of strings...

Edit: Anyone know where to get 7 guages? According to some calculations, that would put about exactly the tension i want on there... but i cant seem to find them on just strings..

Unread 03-28-2006, 02:04 PM   #7

Donnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Ken, I used .007s on my 9 string. I might still have one or 2 around. If not, I had the music store back home order a bunch in for me. I'm sure they still have some.

Bad Mother....a of the Classifieds
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2006, 03:20 PM   #8
Spastic Kitchen!

bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksmoor
Beware of string breaks, G is quite high a pitch even for .08

I honestly never had any problem with a high g with either .008" or .009"

It's the high a that gives issues. Keep in mind, a pedal steel guitar has a slightly longer scale (~26"), and uses a .010" or .011" for g#. It's pretty damn tight, but it won't break too much.

Say nay if you will...I say yay.

[URL="http://sites.google.com/site/bostjanzupancickhereb/"[/URL]
bostjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2006, 09:53 PM   #9
Divinitus Infallibilis
Site Contributor

Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.
I've had luck with a .008 tuned high A..

Born of Fire//--\\ Consumed by it
Divinitus Infallibilis

Digital Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2006, 10:14 PM   #10
OldschoolGhettostyle

Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
That tuning sounds sweet, Ken. I used to try so many different tunings on my six-strings, but, due to the tremolo on my seven, I've only played in standard and drop-A. I'd like to try a lot of other tunings, though.
Naren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 12:48 AM   #11
Lord Super Awesome

Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by urklvt
Dude, I used to play a lot of F# tuning with my Steinberger TransTrem. Fun!

Now if only they made a 7-string so I could go down to C#...........

Oh yeah, and it was a calibrated 0.009 string on that F#.
A 7-string Steinberger, you say? I'm with you there. Literally, that would be a dream come true for me.
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 01:29 AM   #12
SS.org Regular

EverDream is a jewel in the rough
I want to tune my 6 string from A2 to A4 and use it for leads, I tried a .007 from D'Addario from juststrings.com and it didn't even tune to G4 before it broke, if anyone has any success tuning to A4 on a 25.5" scale, please tell me the gauge and the brand strings you used, so that I can get them and try them! I'm really interested in Garry Goodman's strings he's developing, an A4 string that I could bend just like any other string would be great!! But as I heard he hasn't implemented ball ends on them yet, which makes it no use to me seeing that I don't have a special clamp system he has, lol. Garry if you're reading this, please let me know as soon as you come out with an A4 string with a ball end that you can sell to me.

Side question: Shannon, who is that girl in your avatar? (Keep in mind I don't watch TV at all really so I don't know who is who a lot of times, lol) She's pretty nice, you got good taste!

~EverDream~

"Enter my private... chamber"

Schecter C7 Blackjack: Low Drop D# Tuning (12 - 80)
Ibanez AJ307CENT: Drop G# (11 - 64)
Galveston 8-String Bass (only 7 strings on it right now): A Tuning (20 - 145)
Silvertone SIK-1: Drop A (10.5 - 54)
OLP MM5 Baritone: Some crazy tuning that I can't remember right now (?? - 120)

EverDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 02:22 AM   #13
SS Contributor

Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
I'm probably gonna take a whirl at messing around with the string tension calculator and see if i can't come up with a decent set of strings...
Is this freeware? It's probably for Windows, huh?
Ancestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 02:29 AM   #14
SS.org Regular

EverDream is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancestor
Is this freeware? It's probably for Windows, huh?
I don't know if he uses what I use, but what I use is a calculator on a website...

http://www.pacificsites.net/~dog/Str...ionApplet.html

you should check it out, it's very handy.

~EverDream~

"Enter my private... chamber"

Schecter C7 Blackjack: Low Drop D# Tuning (12 - 80)
Ibanez AJ307CENT: Drop G# (11 - 64)
Galveston 8-String Bass (only 7 strings on it right now): A Tuning (20 - 145)
Silvertone SIK-1: Drop A (10.5 - 54)
OLP MM5 Baritone: Some crazy tuning that I can't remember right now (?? - 120)

EverDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 03:18 AM   #15
Spastic Kitchen!

bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.
It's a pretty simple formula if you know the density, scale length, frequency of fundamental and gauge. No need for it to cost money.

Unread 03-29-2006, 03:21 AM   #16
Hates the Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naren
That tuning sounds sweet, Ken. I used to try so many different tunings on my six-strings, but, due to the tremolo on my seven, I've only played in standard and drop-A. I'd like to try a lot of other tunings, though.
Yeah, try blocking your trem and giving a shot, if you got light enough strings, its really fun. Kinda confusing, but fun...

Seph - That was on a 25.5" Scale, right? the schecter is a 26.5".. so its got about .5lbs more tension on there. I think i'd need at least an 8 for a high G, and then a set of 10's below that...

EverDream - thats the one i use. Freaking useful, that thing is.

I was thinking a 7 would be ideal if i can find one, since i calculated the tensions to be something along the lines of:

Quote:
len 26.5"

G .007" PL = 12.13lbs
D .010" PL = 13.9lbs
A .014" PL = 15.29lbs
F .020" NW = 16.63lbs
C .028" NW = 18.26lbs
G .040" NW = 20.53lbs
D .054" NW = 20.73lbs
So a 007 guage would actually work out REALLY well, i think.

Unread 03-29-2006, 03:31 AM   #17
SS Contributor

Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverDream
I don't know if he uses what I use, but what I use is a calculator on a website...

http://www.pacificsites.net/~dog/Str...ionApplet.html

you should check it out, it's very handy.
Cool. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostjan
It's a pretty simple formula if you know the density, scale length, frequency of fundamental and gauge. No need for it to cost money.
Too bad everyone doesn't think that way, but I'm glad that there's a few.
Ancestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 04:18 AM   #18
XEN
(formerly urklvt)

XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon
A 7-string Steinberger, you say? I'm with you there. Literally, that would be a dream come true for me.
We can always hope... stranger things have happened.
XEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 03:01 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

ts73 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
I was thinking a 7 would be ideal if i can find one
Look up Guitar X in Denver and give them a call. Last time I've been there they had D'Addario .007s.
ts73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2006, 05:50 PM   #20
8-0ctaves

Garry Goodman is a glorious beacon of lightGarry Goodman is a glorious beacon of lightGarry Goodman is a glorious beacon of light
Cheese slicers etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverDream
I want to tune my 6 string from A2 to A4 and use it for leads, I tried a .007 from D'Addario from juststrings.com and it didn't even tune to G4 before it broke, if anyone has any success tuning to A4 on a 25.5" scale, please tell me the gauge and the brand strings you used, so that I can get them and try them! I'm really interested in Garry Goodman's strings he's developing, an A4 string that I could bend just like any other string would be great!! But as I heard he hasn't implemented ball ends on them yet, which makes it no use to me seeing that I don't have a special clamp system he has, lol. Garry if you're reading this, please let me know as soon as you come out with an A4 string with a ball end that you can sell to me.
I repeat information because some of it gets lost in translation.I'm sorry everyone,but an .008 and .007 in general will Not tune to an A440hz on the 25" guitar scale. My .007's will tune to A flat 4 at 30",but they are so rigid that you could slice cheese with them.

The kind of strings I wanted are flexible,and even bendable. I 've spent several years developing a string that can be tuned to G4 or A flat 4 at the 32" bass scale.It would be impossible to have a 12-string bass without this high string .All the formulas mean nothing when they don't work. Shortening scale length is a last resort to get a string to go higher,and that doesn't help that much. I applaud JP for making a 12-string bass for Jean Baudin.For me fanning from 35" down to 29" is not a happy thing.The fan becomes a little to extreme for my taste. The .006 they used tunes to A flat 4,but I know from my own 10 types of .006 wire ,at 29", we're slicing cheese.
I have a very funtional A4 string. Currently ,I am having some guys "beta" test it. Right now,there is no bending up 3 whole steps with a high string at 25".The guitar scale would have to be around 19-20" to do that.
How do I know all this? From doing it everyday for two years.
So if anyone is interested in trying a couple of these strings ,send me a PM.
Garry Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2006, 06:19 PM   #21
SS.org Regular

knuckle_head is a jewel in the rough
See there.....

I was going to suggest that a 19.5" scale length ought to do the trick. Tacoma Guitars did a single pickup ultra-short scale 6 string some time back that allowed an A tuning and is a really well made instrument.
knuckle_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2006, 03:02 PM   #22
8-0ctaves

Garry Goodman is a glorious beacon of lightGarry Goodman is a glorious beacon of lightGarry Goodman is a glorious beacon of light
two guys have tried my high A string on their guitars and sent me good reports.perhaps one of them will post a thread soon.
Garry Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2006, 05:19 PM   #23
dpm
Oni Guitars

dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Back home Garry? I'll email you as soon as I get all my software reinstalled on this damn computer...

I'm currently catching up with emails, please be patient
dpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2006, 05:40 PM   #24
prototyping...

Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Wink Use Garry's .005's

I've got my Universe strung EADGBEA with one of Garry's .005's for the high A. It's fantastic fun! Very playable and bendable.

Years ago I tried to tune a 25.5 scale guitar up to high A using .010's, .009's, .008's, and .007's and none of them worked. the highest I got was just under G# using a .009. I was surprised how much weaker the .008's & .007's were and that I could reach a higher pitch with the .009.

Garry is definitely the man when it comes to extended range. Order some strings from him and you'll be shredding into the stratosphere

The only problem is now I have no more excuses not to extend the design of my 7 string, 31 fret, 5 octave guitar into a 9 string 6 octave design.
Durero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2006, 05:48 PM   #25
Spastic Kitchen!

Cool, now we can have trouble-free ERG's without the need to pay a lisencing fee to Ralph Novak. Ooops, now I have to pay a fee because I said his name. j/k

I still think fanned frets are good for all instruments with more than one string. If we could get .005"s, though, we are definately one the right track to get more range.

Now who is going to be the first one to build a fanned-fret ten string with low F# and a high D?