homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-12-2009, 12:00 AM   #1
The Crimson Comedian

sepherus is just really nicesepherus is just really nice
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Its a sad day for the seven string guitar playing community...

Count the strings! Poor Chris has to feel neutered. I know I do every time I pick up a sixer that isn't tuned in some strange 5ths based tuning.

I guess at least it isn't a Dean
sepherus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-12-2009, 12:05 AM   #2
kvlt

7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Why doesn't he just use his 7 in Megadeth? Not like it'll hurt anything.
7deadlysins666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 12:05 AM   #3
Belongs On 1 String

COBHC is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What a shame.

Wow does that sixxer ever look small on him. So used to seeing him play 7s. They suit him better looks wise and play wise.

I think i remember hearing somewhere that dave wanted him to play 6s so he could really dig into the low string for a heavier attack.
COBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 12:19 AM   #4
Banned

WhiteShadow has a spectacular aura about
Big ....ing deal. Let the dude rock however many strings he wants.
WhiteShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 12:22 AM   #5
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteShadow View Post
Big ....ing deal. Let the dude rock however many strings he wants.
though i believe its a direct result of dave mustaine being a bitch, in the end, i gotta agree. Doesnt ....ing matter, cause he's not really using the extra range in the band, and if i were in megadeth, i'd want to keep dave off my back, too.
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
ss.org Regular

TheAceOfSpades1 will become famous soon enough
I would've loved to hear some 7-string Megadeth. But this one picture doesn't necessarily mean Chris will never ever use a 7 in the future...
TheAceOfSpades1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 12:30 AM   #7
I LIKE JUICE!!!

TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
So much for extended range Megadeth.

"Tom, you're like 1 part a serious dork, and 2 parts the most awesome ....ing guy ever." -
TomAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 12:30 AM   #8
The Crimson Comedian

sepherus is just really nicesepherus is just really nice
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
I'm well aware that Chris does and will continue to use 7 strings in non Megadeth stuff, but he DID use the extended range for easier fingerings and soloing. I find that "digging ing" stuff to be a complete load of bull crap. I dig in on my low E just fine with the extra string. I can play old school Ride the Lightning era Metalica on an unboosted recto with the gain turned down, which requires A LOT more "digging in" than any Megadeth song at faster speeds, and Chris way way out plays me. I think it is just Dave trying to control every aspect of the band yet again. I think Chris had LACS put the giant band logo on the guitar just for a laugh knowing he probably won't use the guitar for much else.
sepherus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 12:46 AM   #9
z o m b i e 1 3

Zombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepherus View Post
I'm well aware that Chris does and will continue to use 7 strings in non Megadeth stuff, but he DID use the extended range for easier fingerings and soloing. I find that "digging ing" stuff to be a complete load of bull crap. I dig in on my low E just fine with the extra string. I can play old school Ride the Lightning era Metalica on an unboosted recto with the gain turned down, which requires A LOT more "digging in" than any Megadeth song at faster speeds, and Chris way way out plays me. I think it is just Dave trying to control every aspect of the band yet again. I think Chris had LACS put the giant band logo on the guitar just for a laugh knowing he probably won't use the guitar for much else.
+1
It's Dave's band, his way or
Maybe he felt Chris got more of the spotlight because of the 7 string?
Zombie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 12:50 AM   #10
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
That just sucks.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 01:04 AM   #11
Parker über alles

yingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMB13 View Post
+1
It's Dave's band, his way or
Maybe he felt Chris got more of the spotlight because of the 7 string?
Maybe he felt Chris got more of the spotlight because he's a much, much better guitarist and not a whiny obnoxious .....
yingmin is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 02:37 AM   #12
Icnomptenent

arktan is a glorious beacon of lightarktan is a glorious beacon of lightarktan is a glorious beacon of light
If the man plays a sixer, let him play a sixer. There's nothing wrong about sixers and sex.
But i think that it's just the hate towards the extended range instruments from Dave's side. If you hate any instrument you're not a musician. A seven doesn't sound that different from a sixer and that "digging in" thing is just bullshit. Someone's got a huge ego here and he's letting it out on the band members. Not very mature.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.” - Plato
arktan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 03:03 AM   #13
I Am the Table

renzoip is a glorious beacon of lightrenzoip is a glorious beacon of lightrenzoip is a glorious beacon of light
Booooo!!

DARK LEGACY - Progressive Power Metal from South FL!
renzoip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 03:14 AM   #14
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAwesome View Post
So much for extended range Megadeth.

I was hopeful for the band to move into that direction too
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 03:40 AM   #15
This is bat country

Raoul Duke is just really niceRaoul Duke is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by yingmin View Post
Maybe he felt Chris got more of the spotlight because he's a much, much better guitarist and not a whiny obnoxious .....
The man speaks the truth

I don't think it's nice, you laughing. You see, my mule don't like people laughing. Gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it...
Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 03:46 AM   #16
Stop the Madness!

Nick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by yingmin View Post
haha +2
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 03:52 AM   #17
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself
no way
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 03:56 AM   #18
ss.org Regular

thesimo is just really nicethesimo is just really nice
he does look really weeny with a 6 right enough.
thesimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 04:02 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

mat091285 is just really nicemat091285 is just really nice
Too much dive bombs with the Low B? ...
mat091285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 07:24 AM   #20
ss.org Regular

Diogene303 is a jewel in the rough
Chris Broaderick gone back to six strings ?

Chris Broderick on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Diogene303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 07:28 AM   #21
Defenestrator

Seebu is a jewel in the rough
There's already a thread about this:
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sev...community.html
Seebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 07:33 AM   #22
Ibanez fanboi

Wi77iam is a glorious beacon of lightWi77iam is a glorious beacon of lightWi77iam is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
well at least he gets more guitars added to his collection
Wi77iam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 07:37 AM   #23
Consumer Whore

XeoFLCL is a splendid one to beholdXeoFLCL is a splendid one to beholdXeoFLCL is a splendid one to beholdXeoFLCL is a splendid one to beholdXeoFLCL is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You've gotta think about it in the long run. Yeah Dave can be a dick (If he isn't already.. Though, he seems different in a sense lately?) and all and he prolly told him to use 6 strings, but megadeth as always been tuned in E standard. If Chris broderick decided to bust in on them and throw some low B Jag Panzer/Nevermore style (Actually A#, but I doubt he tunes to that in megadeth ) into the riffing mix, that'd makes things a tad harder to mix with daves tuning without him always doing something alongsing the likes of lead without him having to change to B standard tuning. I'm sure that+vocals wouldn't be very fun. Not to mention, they might have to throw a 5 string bass into the mix if they did, since megadeth's recent basslines typically follow the rhythm and go a tad more unnoticed than their earlier stuff. It's just require everyone to change their methods in order to make things in the band work out. Then, imagine Chris leaving in the later future (which will more than likely happen as we all know..) What'd happen to them then? Would they try to recruit Jeff Loomis once again, who they denied when he auditioned when he was like 16 or 17?

Chances are, he just has that 6 string because eitherway, he won't be using the low B for anything in megadeth. For now, at least. Who knows? We might actually see some low B in the new album coming up, but I think it's very unlikely due to finding somewhere to place it in a standard tuning mix. So if we do, it'll be very minimal, and prolly during solos and the such. All I can say is listen for some potential wide sweeps on the new album

EDIT: Though I should add, I play my sixer just as much as I play my 7 string. It's just they're two completely different feeling instruments, and they suit different uses better than the other. Low B is naturally heavy sounding and usually results in a much heavier sounding mix when distorted than E does, but in turn, also sounds very soothing when clean(Think Nevermore - Tomorrow Turned Into Yesterday's cleans). Ironic? :P I have a hard time getting as powerful of a chug tone on my 6 compared to my 7. On my 6, I usually have to pump up the lows and highs and gain, and dip the mids a tad bit. Maybe even drop tune it to D or C#. Also I should add, my 6 string is mahogany while my 7 is Alder. It takes alot lol.
XeoFLCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #24
ss.org Regular

heffergm is just really niceheffergm is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I continue to be amazed... why is there this feeling that if you play a 7, suddenly everything is in B? Erm... there's still a low E string... hello little E string! Right there beside big Mr. B.... you're so cute!... and I can still play you as much as I want, you're still special to me, and apparently to Mr. Mustaine over there. He likes you, and so do I. We'll just keep Mr. B around because... HOLY SHIT, there's actually B notes in TONS of other keys!!! WHO KNEW!!@#@!! LOOK! If I play this E pentatonic scale (in 12th position of course!).... HOT DAMN. There's a B in there! Perhaps I might be able to use Mr. B after all!
heffergm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 08:02 AM   #25
Pastor Of Muppets

cddragon is a jewel in the rough
I liked Chris using his 7-string and somehow I think the sixer may be a little limiting. Hope it's just temporary
cddragon is offline   Reply With Quote