homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
SS Contributor

wannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
So I Butchered a COW7 (56k fired up the barbecue, I mean router)

I'm pretty sure a lot of you have seen this already because of these threads: Question About Jackson COW 7 String, and Neck Pickup in a COW7 but here are some good pictures of the guitar:

(those silver screws are starting to bother me)

(aww it's my kitty )

The new route is actually cleaner and tighter fitting (by a small margin) than the factory one

Control Cavity

I got the idea of routing for a neck pickup idea after owning the guitar for about a month and really missing the neck pickup and a tone knob. My main guitar is a LP so I'm used to having lots of knobs to fiddle with and every time I try not having a neck pickup I get tired of the lack of versatility (imo) after a few weeks. I ended up paying a local luthier (Skip's Music) to do the work because I couldn't trust myself and I would have no way of repairing the finish if I screwed up. In the end the total cost of the guitar came to less than what a Hellraiser would have cost and I got what I feel is a far superior guitar. Also if anyone is on the fence about switching their EMGs to Blackouts I say do it if you can find a set of Blackouts used of if you know you can get a decent amount for the EMGs when you sell them. The Blackouts sound "better" to my ears but I don't know if it's a $175 "better." I'm using a BO neck and a BO bridge in their respective places.

And for Sebastian:
wannabguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I think it looks pretty damn good!

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
Banned

Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
looks great, who did the work?
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
You'll never make it

Thin_Ice_77 is a glorious beacon of lightThin_Ice_77 is a glorious beacon of lightThin_Ice_77 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Butchered? Majorly improved. Looks better, more versatile... very nice job!

Visit Beneath The Surface on:

Myspace Music

Reverbnation
Thin_Ice_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
Banned

sworth9411 is just really nicesworth9411 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
This looks tits......amazing nice clean work.....Jackson should have offered this to begin with as well....bravo.
sworth9411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
Poland CEO / RHLC

Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.
Looks "original"

Really great man ! awesome job !

S7Figures.DeviantArt.com - Metal Figures!
Sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
SS.org-er

caughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I think guitars with only neck pickups look slightly better, but are obviously lacking in versatility. This, however, is still one sexy COW. You are a very lucky guy .

EDIT - I meant "with only bridge pickups." you Ramsay .
caughtinamosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
Is an A7X fan

Ramsay777 is just really niceRamsay777 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by caughtinamosh View Post
I think guitars with only neck pickups look slightly better, but are obviously lacking in versatility. This, however, is still one sexy COW. You are a very lucky guy .

Like, for example... a Jazz guitar?
Ramsay777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 04:08 PM   #9
l0rd of teh shr3d

turmoil is just really niceturmoil is just really nice
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
excellent man! looks super clean.
i've always thought COW7's looked cool but i just don't think i can live with one bridge pickup. i need some kind of neck pickup, whether it be a single or hum.
turmoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
DO CEO / RHLC

AeonSolus is a splendid one to beholdAeonSolus is a splendid one to beholdAeonSolus is a splendid one to beholdAeonSolus is a splendid one to beholdAeonSolus is a splendid one to behold
Wooow!! a COW never looked better!

EDIT: i was about to suggest the 18V mod but i see you got Blackies fitted in, way to go man

Product of my boreness:
https://soundcloud.com/aeonsolus

AeonSolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

Bleak is just really niceBleak is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
How much did the routing job run you, roughly?
Also, is there a reason you didn't get the neck pickup close to flush with the fretboard?
Bleak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #12

Ruins is a name known to allRuins is a name known to allRuins is a name known to allRuins is a name known to all
very well done dude it looks absolutely great!
now if it only had a trem..... (trem lover, i am guilty) any thought on future butchering..?
Ruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #13
Poland CEO / RHLC

Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.
I should neg rep you all
*shakes fists and says some not nice words in polish

S7Figures.DeviantArt.com - Metal Figures!
Sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

thedonutman is a glorious beacon of lightthedonutman is a glorious beacon of lightthedonutman is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleak View Post
Also, is there a reason you didn't get the neck pickup close to flush with the fretboard?
+1

Exactly the two questions I wanted to ask.

I really want a COW, and the only thing really stopping me is the lack of a neck pickup.
thedonutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #15
SS Contributor

wannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Thanks for the kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruins View Post
very well done dude it looks absolutely great!
now if it only had a trem..... (trem lover, i am guilty) any thought on future butchering..?
A trem would be great but I'm not that crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
looks great, who did the work?
Michael Gardner, he works for Skip's Music in Sacramento. I don't know if he's built any guitars but his repair work looks great. I assume you can't say you're a luthier unless you've done the proper schooling right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleak View Post
I was charged $150 for the routing, installation, wiring, and quick setup. I bought the Blackouts for around $110 and the guitar with case and locking tuners for $550 off the classifieds here. There's a gap between the neck and fretboard in case I ever wanted to put passives in the guitar. The rings would have to clear the bevel in the lower horn.
wannabguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #16
You'll never make it

Thin_Ice_77 is a glorious beacon of lightThin_Ice_77 is a glorious beacon of lightThin_Ice_77 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
I should neg rep you all
*shakes fists and says some not nice words in polish
You like COW7's, we get it.

Visit Beneath The Surface on:

Myspace Music

Reverbnation
Thin_Ice_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #17
ss.org lurker

Shinto will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonutman View Post
+1

Exactly the two questions I wanted to ask.

I really want a COW, and the only thing really stopping me is the lack of a neck pickup.
+1. I'll get over the fact that the neck is painted if Jackson ever made a H-H COW7.
Shinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #18
Turd Ferguson

yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Man thats a clean route job.
yellowv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #19
SS Contributor

TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
i approve
TimSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #20
Sarcy English Twat

Location: 7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bruv, Safe, London, UK
7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Nice work man

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
7 Dying Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #21

leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
I have a DK7. Yours is better. Nice.
leonardo7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #22
Bowes Guitars

canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
super super clean work there! I'd like to see one of the camo ones done like that now...
canuck brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #23
Banned

Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabguitarist View Post
Michael Gardner, he works for Skip's Music in Sacramento. I don't know if he's built any guitars but his repair work looks great. I assume you can't say you're a luthier unless you've done the proper schooling right?
in my opinion anyone who works on guitars/basses in any professional sense(repair, building, refinishing, etc) could be considered a "luthier", who needs schooling anyways? its all stuff that can be learned on your own if you have the drive. mike sherman wasn't schooled, he's one of the best builders out there
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #24
pixel pusher

mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Looks great. I can't tell you how many times I've thought about having that done to my Custom Shop neckthru COW 7. But I'd have to hand it over to someone I can totally trust to do it.

Although I suppose Sebastian would want to kill me. hahaha
mikernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #25
SS.org Regular

mat091285 is just really nicemat091285 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks great! haha
mat091285 is offline   Reply With Quote