homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-24-2006, 02:26 PM   #1
Hack

Hobophobic is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So I jumped in with both feet...

I ordered my first 7-string today from Carvin. The adventure begins (in about 8 weeks).
Hobophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
I poop in shoes.

nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
How 'bout some specs???

Awsome man, I hope you enjoy the crap out of it!!
nitelightboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2006, 02:38 PM   #3
SS Contributor

7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I absolutely love my carvin to death...I don't think i'll ever get rid of it.
7StringofAblicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
Lord Super Awesome

Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitelightboy
How 'bout some specs???
+1
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2006, 02:41 PM   #5
Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitelightboy
How 'bout some specs???
No problem. I went with a lefty DC727. I paid an upcharge for a different wiring scheme (it comes with a 3-way toggle and 2 coil splitters, mine will have a 5-way switch instead). The other options I got are a birdseye maple fretboard, stainless jumbo frets, strap locks, gold hardware and logo, cream colored pickups and a custom color not in their standard list ($50 upcharge). It's called "toner white". Their standard "pearl white" and "classic white" are nice but aren't the white I like. I wanted bright pure white, not off white, vanilla ice cream white or almost but not quite white.
Unread 03-24-2006, 02:41 PM   #6
Be-otch

Papa Shank is just really nicePapa Shank is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon
+1

and umm...yeah specs of that carvin would be nice.
Papa Shank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2006, 03:00 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

ts73 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Shank
Yes, Indeed. Shannon, please don't change it for a while. I hope you don't mind if I'll be imagining you're in fact a lucious brunette, splashing in ocean water at all times.

Back to the topic - sounds great! What bridge option did you go with?

Last edited by ts73; 03-24-2006 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
ts73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2006, 03:04 PM   #8
Lord Super Awesome

Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.Shannon is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobophobic
No problem. I went with a lefty DC727. I paid an upcharge for a different wiring scheme (it comes with a 3-way toggle and 2 coil splitters, mine will have a 5-way switch instead). The other options I got are a birdseye maple fretboard, stainless jumbo frets, strap locks, gold hardware and logo, cream colored pickups and a custom color not in their standard list ($50 upcharge). It's called "toner white". Their standard "pearl white" and "classic white" are nice but aren't the white I like. I wanted bright pure white, not off white, vanilla ice cream white or almost but not quite white.
Sounds pretty classy!
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2006, 03:04 PM   #9
Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts73
Yes, Indeed. Shannon, please don't change it for a while. I hope you don't mind if I'll be imagining you're in fact a lucious brunette, splashing in ocean water at all times.

Back to the topic - sounds great! What bridge option did you go with?
The hardtail... that's the only option they have on the lefties.
And yes, that avatar is very hard to look away from.
Unread 03-24-2006, 03:47 PM   #10
Canis lupis obscurus

The Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnate
Quote:
Cream pickups - Drew is gonna want this one.

I've had a hankering for cream pups myself lately. Damn you, Drew!

Congrats on the guitar, bro. Now comes the hard part - waiting.
The Dark Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2006, 03:56 PM   #11
<3's Tsukasa

D-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Cool sounding guitar, yeah when doing anything with Carvin definitely call them up, lol.

əBCAir
D-EJ915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2006, 05:30 PM   #12
{##[====:::.

Leon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Their standard "pearl white" and "classic white" are nice but aren't the white I like. I wanted bright pure white, not off white, vanilla ice cream white or almost but not quite white.
oh, you mean holy-shit-i-forgot-my-welding-mask white

sounds pretty cool! i can't wait for the pics! of course, i'm sure you can't wait to be able to take the pics

Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2006, 11:55 PM   #13
Ibanez Guitars

Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
I ordered my first 7-string today from Carvin. The adventure begins (in about 8 weeks).
Congrats! I want a Carvin 7 badly, they are nice. You picked a good color too, im a big fan of pearl white and that is exactly what I'd get, either that or a nice quilt top like Tony MacAlpine's sig. Pics when you get it.

My Guitar Videos My Band/Project

Guitars~

1991 Ibanez UV7PWH (Dead Mint),
1991 Ibanez UV7BK (Mint),
1998 (F97) Ibanez RG7620BK (refinished in Arctic White),
1999 Ibanez S7420FMTT (silver dot),
2013 Ibanez RG8WH,
1999 Fender Made in Mexico Strat (white, maple fretboard)
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2006, 06:15 AM   #14
Southpaw Bastard

7stringninja will become famous soon enough
I'm curious to hear your impressions on this guitar.

I am a fellow lefty 7 player, and considered buying a Carvin at one time.

Does yours have 24 frets? What are the woods?

Signature Removed - Image exceeds 300 px by 100 px
7stringninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2006, 09:10 AM   #15
Hack

Yep 24 frets. They come stock with medium-jumbo, I went with the jumbo stainless steel option. The woods on mine are alder body, maple neck, birdseye maple fretboard. You can get alder, walnut, mahogany, koa, swamp ash and maple for body woods. You can also get flame koa, figured walnut, flame maple or quilt maple tops. You can get maple, koa, mahogany or walnut for the neck as well as 5-piece laminated necks using any combination of those woods. Fretboards are available in ebony, maple, birdseye maple and rosewood.
Unread 03-25-2006, 10:59 AM   #16
Southpaw Bastard

7stringninja will become famous soon enough
Awesome. I was never 100% content with the looks of the Carvin's, but I could settle considering the options available (although the lack of nice pups and the lack of a Floyd kinda sucks).

If you dont mind me asking, what was your final paid price?

Signature Removed - Image exceeds 300 px by 100 px
7stringninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2006, 11:35 AM   #17
Hack

Yeah, the lack of a Floyd option held me back for a while and I don't really love the rounded body edges all that much but this is my first 7 so I'll probably have enough to think about without the Floyd. I can worry about that on down the road. The rounded body edges I just decided to live with, they won't build this model without it. I'm not too concerned over the pickups, some very minor grinding on the baseplates will allow you to squeeze DiMarzios in if necessary. I don't mind telling you the price, I consider it a bargain. I paid $1095.49 including case and shipping to Canada (which covers all taxes, duties and customs charges). So it would have been $1055.49 shipped in the US.