homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TomPerverteau
  • 1 Post By Ketzer
  • 1 Post By Explorer

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

Mazzakazza will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ibanez Gio Seven-String?

I've been after a seven-string for quite a long time, but I'm not very trusting of buying off the internet after some other bad experiences (Not guitars, but hey, once bitten, twice shy), and the shops around my area don't tend to sell any extended range guitars.

In a pawn shop yesterday however, I saw an Ibanez Gio, a seven string. The attendant couldn't help me as to any kind of model number, but it's priced at 90, which I could probably barter down to around 60-70 due to dents, chips, and some wear on the bridge.

Admittedly, however, I've never heard of this model. Ever. Google has yielded a few adverts for the same model, but little in the way of reviews, so I was wondering does any own/used to own this model, and how did it work out for them? Bearing in mind that it would be my first seven, and really an experiment to see whether I got on with seven strings (From playing a few recently that I've come across, I'm finding that the extra range is pretty sweet) would this be a good buy?

Or, would it be better to endeavour to find what I've been recommended before, an RG7321? I've never been able to find them in the shops under 300, which seems a lot right now, and if I find that seven strings isn't for me, could also cause me to lose quite a bit...

Desc: Ibanez Gio written on the headstock, jet black gloss finish, one tone, one vol, fixed bridge, no idea what the neck is.

Anybody shed any light on this, would be really appreciated!

Thanks
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-12-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Banned

twiztedchild is a splendid one to beholdtwiztedchild is a splendid one to beholdtwiztedchild is a splendid one to beholdtwiztedchild is a splendid one to beholdtwiztedchild is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That model was the lowest end model Ibanez released. I was looking to buy one also off of craigslist. It is a 22 fret 25.5" scale GRX7 (Also Gio) for that price I'd say get it to see if you even like 7 strings, then if you do upgrade to something better
Unread 09-12-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!

Korngod is just really niceKorngod is just really nice
I have not played a Gio 7, but from looking at the specs, it has a standard tremolo, which you may or may not like, these have been known to get thrown out of tune often, but if you dont mind go for it. The 7321 on the other hand, has a fixed bridge which should stay in tune a little better than the Gio 7. In reality, it all comes down to preference, if possible, try testing out both of them and get a feel for them to see which one you like better.

also, correct me if im wrong, I believe the Gio 7 was made in china whereas the 7321 was either in Korea or Indonesia depending on the year, if where it was made plays any effect on your decision.

Originally Posted by Necris
"Pee in her butt, leave with her television."

My Band Website
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=969789
Unread 09-12-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
Be-otch

Papa Shank is just really nicePapa Shank is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I don't think a 2008 RG 7321 and the Gio really compare but for ~60 after bartering it will do the job, alternatively you could look for a second hand 7321.
Unread 09-12-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
Banned

twiztedchild is a splendid one to beholdtwiztedchild is a splendid one to beholdtwiztedchild is a splendid one to beholdtwiztedchild is a splendid one to beholdtwiztedchild is a splendid one to behold
Ibanez "Gio" 7-String electric guitar

this is the one I was thinking about buying 6 months ago (he is still trying to sell it)

also is that what it looks like? It looks to have a fixed bridge to me. Im sure they had ones with trems. also the Model is a GRX720bk
Unread 09-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
Banned

sworth9411 is just really nicesworth9411 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
honestly i wouldn't waste your time. You can pick up (even in the UK) a good 7321 for only a little more and its worth it considering how fast you would outgrow the GIO. It was my first seven string ever i bought it full priced and sold it a week later because i didn't like how it felt and i wanted to get more "serious" If you can pick it up for 40 go for it but i personally wouldnt pay a penny more.
Unread 09-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

Thanks for the responses guys, KoRngod, I think you're right actually - thinking about it, it had a tremolo slot, but no arm that I could see. Maybe the shop didnt get one from the owner when they bought it. Forgot about that! It doesn't really matter though, I don't tend to use tremolo bars at all unless it's a floating bridge, double locking. I also think it is made in china.

sworth, you mentioned that I could probably find an rg7321 for just a little more, second hand - where? I've only seen one in two music shops (first hand, full price ~300)...neither of which stock second hand instruments. Where else can i look to find one?

cheers
Unread 09-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #8
SS Contributor

cyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
i honestly wouldn't touch it... it'll probably just turn you off of 7 strings.
Unread 09-12-2008, 01:43 PM   #9
President / RHLC

playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzakazza View Post
Where else can i look to find one?
cheers
There :

RG7321, Musical Instruments items at low prices on eBay.co.uk

Become one of us or die, ....ers. / Rick

RIP Garcia3441
Unread 09-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by playstopause View Post
Yeah man, but like I said in my first post...I'm none too trusting of buying off the internet, especially something relatively expensive.
Unread 09-12-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
President / RHLC

playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzakazza View Post
Yeah man, but like I said in my first post...I'm none too trusting of buying off the internet, especially something relatively expensive.
I've been buying stuff from Ebay forever... Never had a problem.
That definitly limits yourself. Just buy it form a seller with a lot of positive feedback and there shouldn't be any problem. If anything happens, you have all sorts of solutions goin' with Ebay and / or Paypal (especially). One good transaction and you'll change your mind about buying "on the internet".

Become one of us or die, ....ers. / Rick

RIP Garcia3441
Unread 05-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #12
Tube & Analog Snob

TomPerverteau is just really niceTomPerverteau is just really nice
I bought a GiO off eBay to see if I like 7-string. I put a JB in the bridge position & had a very good shop do a fret dress, truss rod adjustment and setup. I thought it was decent but I changed my mind. It's still firewood.
Luvless likes this.
Unread 05-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #13
Good news, everyone!

Ketzer is a name known to allKetzer is a name known to allKetzer is a name known to allKetzer is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
This is a pretty good topic to bump, there's not much info on these piles of garbage, and it would be good if people found this thread.
Luvless likes this.

"Appreciating the beauty in music fast enough to blow mortals' faces off."
More notes per second = More emotion per second
"Djent" just may be the worst word created in all of ever.

SELF-APPOINTED EMG WIZARD
Unread 05-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #14
Pastor Of Muppets

cddragon is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzer View Post
This is a pretty good topic to bump, there's not much info on these piles of garbage, and it would be good if people found this thread.
Yeah, true - but it's still a HELLUVA bump

And on topic: I haven't played the GIO 7 string, but I had played some six stringed ones and they are totally not worth the Ibanez logo
Unread 05-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #15
Pronounced "FEE"

BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Ibanez Gio 7 String Electric Guitar - NR - eBay (item 260405378881 end time May-12-09 07:38:56 PDT)
Unread 05-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #16
SS.org Regular

Guys, I made this when I was looking to be the owner of my first 7...i now own two 7 strings.

Yeah, I'm glad I dodged the bullet and held on to be able to afford an rg1527. Definitely.
Unread 05-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

coupe89 will become famous soon enough
I'm keeping mine for my kids to use. I don't want them breaking my 7420.
Unread 05-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #18
Banned

Koshchei is a glorious beacon of lightKoshchei is a glorious beacon of lightKoshchei is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril v View Post
i honestly wouldn't touch it... it'll probably just turn you off of 7 strings.
^ This.

edit: bit of an old thread.
Unread 12-13-2011, 01:58 AM   #19
ss.org Regular

Luvless is on a distinguished road
I bought one of these around 1998ish, and it was my first 7 string. I liked playing it well enough that I then moved on to a Schecter Avenger 7, then my LTD H307. I am still playing 7 strings to this day, and I owe it all to that shitty GIO. I sold mine, with a hard case, AND an EMG 707 for $250 on ebay back in 2005.
I agree that it was a POS, but it had a decent neck, played ok, and was a 7 string. If anyone is on the hunt for one a cheap 7 to mess around on, this is it. They are worthless other than that.
Unread 12-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #20
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.
Luvless, you've just "bumped" a thread to the top of the list which has been dead (no new posts) for more than two years, an act known as a "necrobump," without adding much new contentinformation.

Just wanted you to know, as indiscriminate necrobumping is frowned upon.

Cheers!
b7string likes this.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Closed Thread