homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-23-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
You'll never make it

Thin_Ice_77 is a glorious beacon of lightThin_Ice_77 is a glorious beacon of lightThin_Ice_77 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Request from anyone who has a Loomis

I just need a favour from anyone who has a Loomis, if its not too much trouble. I need some pics of the neck joint and around that area, so I can get an idea of the upper-fret access and the thickness of the neck.

If you took the pic with your hand on say, the 24th fret, I'll get a good idea of how accessible it is. I have had a look at the Loomihs brotherhood thread and the NGD's, but I didn't really find anything.

Thanks in advance, I'll be eternally grateful.
Thin_Ice_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-23-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
Hasta la vista, Baby

Emperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Dude, don't want to sound rude, but you can't judge those things by pics. We're talkig about things that you must check and play with your own hands. Pics will also depend on perspective, and hands of the guy who made the pic, and more likely, you'll be scared and think: "OMG TEH NECK IS A BASEBALL BAT!!!11SHIFT!!1!" and won't buy it. I can already tell you that hitting the 24th fret on any Schecter is a bitch.

So, try one or a similar one, and decide if you like it
Emperoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2008, 07:56 AM   #3
You'll never make it

Thin_Ice_77 is a glorious beacon of lightThin_Ice_77 is a glorious beacon of lightThin_Ice_77 is a glorious beacon of light
I don't think there's any Schecter dealers round here unfortunately, not since SoundControl clsoed down a few months ago. I'm a fan of Ibanez necks, my only concern about the Loomis is the upper fret access and the neck thickness.
Unread 07-23-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
Hasta la vista, Baby

Emperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin_Ice_77 View Post
I don't think there's any Schecter dealers round here unfortunately, not since SoundControl clsoed down a few months ago. I'm a fan of Ibanez necks, my only concern about the Loomis is the upper fret access and the neck thickness.
Even though the neck of the loomis is extremely comfortable, being a fan of Ibanez necks with great neck access I think you better look other way... A Schecter isn't definetly an Ibanez, not even close
Unread 07-23-2008, 08:51 AM   #5
You'll never make it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoff View Post
Even though the neck of the loomis is extremely comfortable, being a fan of Ibanez necks with great neck access I think you better look other way... A Schecter isn't definetly an Ibanez, not even close
Damn. I was going to go with an Ibanez, but I wanted something different. I know the Loomis neck isn't going to be similar to a wizard, but I was under the impression that it will at least be fairly comfortable for an Ibby user.
Unread 07-23-2008, 08:57 AM   #6
Giant Fridge Magnet

Ishan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud of
I like both Schecter and Ibby necks but yea, Schecter's are definitely bigger and rounder, it's more like a relatively thin Gibson neck really.

Current rig : Agile Intrepid Pro with Lace Aluma Deathbar pickup -> Eleven Rack + TC G-Major -> ESI Near 5 Experience
My string tension calculator STC - supports most D'addarrio and Circle K Strings
Ishan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
Lord Zorgatron

HamBungler is a name known to allHamBungler is a name known to allHamBungler is a name known to allHamBungler is a name known to all
Its really all preference really, I have an Ibanez sixxer and I vastly prefer the neck on my Schecter 7, they're just really damn comfortable to me. If you know of a place that would let you send back the Schecter within an allotted time, or somehow find a Schecter dealer in your area that'd probably be the best way to get a feel for one. I honestly really like Schecter necks and just Schecters in general, I feel their quality standards are quite a bit higher than Ibanez in terms of hardware and comfortable playability. That's just me though, you have to make the end decision

I'm assuming he's going to want to mass produce these rack pies, and why not? I love racks, I love pies, so put them together and you have pie covered titties. - JJ
Don't thank me, thank the wombat rapist. - Jamie
And Now, a song about Zombies.-some metalcore vocalist
Yeah the axe Devries made me automatically transforms into firewood! But it doesn't transform back. - udaz

Mah Deviantart

Myspace

The Many Faces of Egoraptor
HamBungler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #8
Hasta la vista, Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamBungler View Post
Its really all preference really, I have an Ibanez sixxer and I vastly prefer the neck on my Schecter 7, they're just really damn comfortable to me. If you know of a place that would let you send back the Schecter within an allotted time, or somehow find a Schecter dealer in your area that'd probably be the best way to get a feel for one. I honestly really like Schecter necks and just Schecters in general, I feel their quality standards are quite a bit higher than Ibanez in terms of hardware and comfortable playability. That's just me though, you have to make the end decision
What about buying a Loomis from Thomman? I think they have 30-days money back guarantee.
Unread 07-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #9
You'll never make it

A guy on Youtube measured the neck and this is what he says the Dimensions are-

Fretboard width:
Headstock-48mm
Body-68mm

Neck depth:
Headstock-23mm
12th fret-23mm

Compared with a Wizard II-7

Width at Nut- 48mm
Width at Last Fret- 65mm (at 21 F)
Thickness at 1st- 19mm
Thickness at 12th- 21mm

So the neck width is pretty much the same, but the Loomis is undoubtedly thicker... a couple more millimetres is practically nothing though right? And I reckon I can cope with it being rounder. As for upper fret access, I'm debating whether it really matters that much.
Unread 07-23-2008, 10:10 AM   #10
Hasta la vista, Baby

Quote:
A guy on Youtube measured the neck and this is what he says the Dimensions are-

Fretboard width:
Headstock-48mm
Body-68mm

Neck depth:
Headstock-23mm
12th fret-23mm

Compared with a Wizard II-7

Width at Nut- 48mm
Width at Last Fret- 65mm (at 21 F)
Thickness at 1st- 19mm
Thickness at 12th- 21mm

So the neck width is pretty much the same, but the Loomis is undoubtedly thicker... a couple more millimetres is practically nothing though right? And I reckon I can cope with it being rounder. As for upper fret access, I'm debating whether it really matters that much.
Sorry but I don't think those measurements are correct. Schecter necks are much wider than ibanez ones, don't think they measure the same. The string spacing is wider as well (obviously).

Have you ever thought about an Agile? They have great specs, great price and the neck is in-between in thickness (but it's profile is rounder than both). Maybe that would suit your needs better.
Unread 07-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

wildchild is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Here are some pics

The best way to explain the difference is that it is bigger than an Ibanez AANJ but its not bad like

the point where the joint sticks out is around the 19th 20th fret
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2008, 10:14 AM   #12
Schecter Whore

DarkKnight369 is a name known to allDarkKnight369 is a name known to allDarkKnight369 is a name known to allDarkKnight369 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This is the best I have. I am a big dude, so my hands are a tad larger, keep that in mind....

Not sure if this helps, but this is my ATX. The Loomis is about the same, or a little thinner in the neck department.

DarkKnight369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2008, 10:25 AM   #13
You'll never make it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoff View Post
Sorry but I don't think those measurements are correct. Schecter necks are much wider than ibanez ones, don't think they measure the same. The string spacing is wider as well (obviously).

Have you ever thought about an Agile? They have great specs, great price and the neck is in-between in thickness (but it's profile is rounder than both). Maybe that would suit your needs better.
I have to say, I was a little skeptical when I saw the measurements as well. I think I just wanted to believe that they were right

I have looked at Agile, yeah. I'm waiting for some Septors to come back in stock though, because I don't want a trem. Plus, the current Septor they do have is really entry level and I want something a bit better. Apart from the customs charges, I can't really see any faults from ordering from them.

Gargh, decisions, decisions.

EDIT: Thanks Dave and Wildchild for the pics *+rep*

Double EDIT: Damn, that ATX neck joint is huge!
Unread 07-23-2008, 10:39 AM   #14
Schecter Whore

DarkKnight369 is a name known to allDarkKnight369 is a name known to allDarkKnight369 is a name known to allDarkKnight369 is a name known to all
The pic might be deceiving, because I was thinking the same thing. It surely doesn't feel huge, and my ATX doesn't feel that much different from the Loomis.
Unread 07-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #15
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Just as an FYI, the two Loomis models I've played have had thinner necks than the other Schecter 7s - much more like my Soloist.

Division - American metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook, and Soundclick might eventually be updated, too.
eaeolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2008, 10:56 AM   #16
Schecter Whore

I don't notice much of a difference at all between my ATX and Loomis. The ATX feel a tad thicker, but I think its more or less the gloss. It feels to me like an extra coating on the neck, so not much.
Unread 07-24-2008, 12:38 PM   #17
Hasta la vista, Baby

Quote:
I have to say, I was a little skeptical when I saw the measurements as well. I think I just wanted to believe that they were right

I have looked at Agile, yeah. I'm waiting for some Septors to come back in stock though, because I don't want a trem. Plus, the current Septor they do have is really entry level and I want something a bit better. Apart from the customs charges, I can't really see any faults from ordering from them.

Gargh, decisions, decisions.

EDIT: Thanks Dave and Wildchild for the pics *+rep*

Double EDIT: Damn, that ATX neck joint is huge!
The angle of the pic makes it look that way, the neck joint is actually ver nice, and the high fret access only gets tricky on 23-24th frets

Honestly, I don't know of anyone who hasn't tried a Loomis and didn't loved it (Stitch doesn't count ). I had to sell mine and I ....ing miss it to death. I've had an Ibanez RG7620, S7420, old and new Agile Interceptors, a Jackson Kelly and a Schecter Hellraiser, and none of them compared to the Loomis in finish, sound or playability. The neck of the Loomis is a dream for me, but I have big hands anyway
Unread 07-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

thedonutman is a glorious beacon of lightthedonutman is a glorious beacon of lightthedonutman is a glorious beacon of light
Sound Control have reopened as "Reverb", they've got the same staff, so I assume they still stock Schecters. Mine used to get Hellraiser 7s in all the time.
thedonutman is offline   Reply With Quote