homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-15-2004, 03:39 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

seppl is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone ever tried out Duncan 7 string pickups?

Are they good?
seppl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-15-2004, 09:12 AM   #2
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Duncan or Duncan Designed?

I haven't yet, but kinda want to try a set in my next seven. What I've been told is that Dimarzios tend to sound more "modern" while Duncans sound more organic- can anyone back this up?

Of course, it depends tremendously on the models we're talking about... But I've heard that a Jazz neck and JB bridge is a pretty good match to te Dimarzio Air Norton neck and Tone Zone bridge that a lot of guys favor; similar sound, but with more od a Duncan flavor.

-D

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2004, 09:35 AM   #3
BEADGBE

Prophecy420 is on a distinguished road
I like all of the Duncan Designed's I've heard (albeit I've only heard a couple, once on an ESP and once on a Schecter I bleieve).

They're considered lower end pickups, but I go by what my ear likes rather than what the guitar mags tell me I should like.
Prophecy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2004, 02:33 PM   #4
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
well, they're low end compared to Seymour Duncans- there's a difference between "designed by Seymour Duncan" and "designed and made by Seymour Duncan," you know?

Of course, "Designed by Seymour Duncan" is still a cut above "designed by some guy with a high school diploma we pay $4/hr to wind pickups for us in North Korea," so it's really all pretty relative...

-D

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

Unread 10-15-2004, 03:59 PM   #5
Vince is X!!!

Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I just bought a guitar off of Ebay, and was asking this same question last week. You guys gave me some great advice, and after playing the guitar, I concur and I'll repeat it here.

Duncan Designed pickups are not very good. The ones I have in my new ESP 7-string are very dull sounding. This guitar, which I've set up to be almost identical to my other guitars, has a much duller, less crisp sound, and it's mainly because of the pickups. I'm having new pickups put in this week, and I would strongly advise going with some high-end DiMarzio, or Seymour Duncan pickups. You might want to check out EMG pickups as well. They're not really my thing, but active pickups may suit you if you're going for a super-heavy sound.

My recommendations:

Bridge pickup:

DiMarzio Evolution
DiMarzio Tone Zone
Seymour Duncan JB trembucker
Seymour Duncan BS trembucker (some wicked cool pole pieces and a fat, old-school sound, I have one of these in an old Ibanez, it's a perfect pickup for a de-tuned sound)

Neck recommendations:

DiMarzio Air Norton (bar none, the best neck pickup IMO, it's extremely percussive and gives your fast alternate-picking lines EXTREME definition.)
DiMarzio Evolution
DiMarzio Blaze

I love DiMarzio neck pickups and Seymour Duncan bridge pickups.

one more thing...........
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2004, 10:09 PM   #6
The Fusion Guy!

jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.
I've had Duncan Distortions in a couple of my 7-strings, and they rocked. Nice lush sound with lots of 'chunka-chunka'--but not too hot like an Invader. I greatly prefer the Distortion over the JB for playing metal--but that's just me.

I've never cared for the Duncan Design pickups. They don't really sound like Duncans to my ears.
jacksonplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2004, 10:57 PM   #7
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I have a JB-7 and a '59-7 in my 7-string, and they rock. The '59 can be a bit overwhelming at times... if i were to buy again, i think i'd maybe opt for the Jazz in the neck position. But the '59+JB setup rocks. The JB has insane bite and harmonics, and the '59 just roars. Both also sound great played clean, and get some nice twang going when split or switched to parallel mode.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2004, 11:03 PM   #8
Vince is X!!!

Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darren
I have a JB-7 and a '59-7 in my 7-string, and they rock. The '59 can be a bit overwhelming at times... if i were to buy again, i think i'd maybe opt for the Jazz in the neck position. But the '59+JB setup rocks. The JB has insane bite and harmonics, and the '59 just roars. Both also sound great played clean, and get some nice twang going when split or switched to parallel mode.

I completely agree.
Unread 10-19-2004, 08:47 AM   #9
Fear the Polo!

You guys with Duncans-

How'd the Distortion for lead? Also, Darren, your Evo's a mahogany guitar, right? Have you heard them in basswood? I'm kinda curious to check a Jazz/JB set out myself, as it's supposed to match up fairly well to a Air Norton/Tone Zone setup,b ut a bit more, well... Organic, maybe... Thoughts?

-D

Unread 10-19-2004, 10:43 AM   #10
BEADGBE

Prophecy420 is on a distinguished road
I've got a '59. Love it.
Prophecy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2004, 08:29 PM   #11
The Fusion Guy!

jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
You guys with Duncans-

How'd the Distortion for lead?
Awesome. Very full-sounding with lots of harmonics anywhere you want them. Maybe not as 'crisp' as a JB, but certainly not muddy in my experience.

Now that I have nothing but basswood Ibanezs, I've switched to DiMarzios, but in any neckthru guitar you can't go wrong with a Distortion in the bridge. The Distortion fattens up a neckthru very nicely but doesn't get rid of too much clarity. I wouldn't use a Distortion in a mahogany guitar, though--that probably would be muddy sounding.
jacksonplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2004, 06:57 AM   #12
ss.org Regular

neantir is on a distinguished road
Could the JB handle death metal?
neantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2004, 03:13 PM   #13
Vince is X!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neantir
Could the JB handle death metal?
Easily, but you could play death metal with just about any humbucking pickup if you have the right amp. Just turn the gain to 11 on the amp, and the midrange to 0 and you should be fine
Unread 10-24-2004, 08:29 PM   #14
ss.org Regular

neantir is on a distinguished road
Hahaha, well, often that isnt the best way to get a death metal sound, especially in a band context.

But, through my new amp (IIC+) I've found myself turning the mids to virtually zero for the first time. Even with the mids dialed out its still grindy as ...., so im looking to replace my Evo with a less mid-dominated pickup. I've been thinking of going with the Lundgren Meshuggah signature pickup, the Duncan JB, and the Anderson H2+.
neantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2004, 11:02 PM   #15
Vince is X!!!

man, you have a IIc+? rock on, that's an awesome amp.