homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #1
Elite Troop

Gamba is just really niceGamba is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Universe vs Stephen Carpenter's

So Dudes.
I`m thinking in grab a new 7 in the next few months. I would like some oppinions though
I was thinking about grab a Universe green/black or a Stephen Carpenter's esp.
I have played the universe before and it is awesome.I never playd Stephen Carpenter 's one, but it seems interesting.
So, can anyone tell me something about it?
thaks dudes

Man is just a pupil, pain is his teacher.
Gamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-27-2007, 09:03 PM   #2
Guns N Guitars

Zoltta is a name known to allZoltta is a name known to allZoltta is a name known to allZoltta is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wrong forum but anyway. I LOVE my ESP to death, wouldnt trade it for UV at any time. Extremely easy to play and sounds great, is all i can say
Zoltta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 49 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamba View Post
So Dudes.
I`m thinking in grab a new 7 in the next few months. I would like some oppinions though
I was thinking about grab a Universe green/black or a Stephen Carpenter's esp.
I have played the universe before and it is awesome.I never playd Stephen Carpenter 's one, but it seems interesting.
So, can anyone tell me something about it?
thaks dudes
I've owned 4-5 UVs and 4 Carpenter models. For the UVs, I had the UV777BK, UV7PWH, and UV7BK. For the ESPs, I had the SC607B, the SRC7, and two SC607s (one maple one mahogany).

My opinion is that despite the bloated price tag on the UV, the SC models are much higher quality guitar. Both play absolutely fantastic and with the right pickups can sound great too, but the ESPs are built w/ higher quality components/construction and are just way more solid. The SC models are fairly flawless, the only problem with them is they don't have a neck pickup or a trem. If that's a problem for you, then I'd recommend the UV. Otherwise, I'd say about every other aspect of the guitar is a +1 in ESPs favor.

For the record, the current SC models come with an arch-top mahogany body, neck-thru maple construction, EMG 81-7 pickups, Schaller locking tuners, binding, a Tone Pros string-thru bridge, etc. One is a baritone (27") that has a reverse headstock and a slimmer neck, the other is a standard scale with an regular in-line headstock and a slightly rounder neck.

So, basically both are great guitars, but a Universe might be the worst bang for the buck in the history of guitars. They play great, look great, can sound great, but in my opinion from owning 4 of each, the ESP is a higher quality instrument at half the price.
zimbloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

Scarpie is just really niceScarpie is just really nice
YEAH!!!! what he said. my man zim has got great knowledge of axes. his word counts for alot man.

but personally i would favor the esp's as well, i've had two esp 7's and three universes. mahogany is the by far my all time favorite wood, and a 27" scale 7 is my dream come true. so for sound and stability, the stephen 7 has my vote
Scarpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2007, 09:42 PM   #5
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 49 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpie View Post
YEAH!!!! what he said. my man zim has got great knowledge of axes. his word counts for alot man.

but personally i would favor the esp's as well, i've had two esp 7's and three universes. mahogany is the by far my all time favorite wood, and a 27" scale 7 is my dream come true. so for sound and stability, the stephen 7 has my vote
Thanks for the kind words, actually my SC607B was 100% maple, and it was the best sounding one of the bunch, but yea the mahogany ones are really cool too
zimbloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2007, 11:37 PM   #6
I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!

yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I prefer Ibby But have nothing bad to say about ESP

Sorry for my english
yevetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 04:35 AM   #7
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ESP for sure
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 04:43 AM   #8
Ibanez Fanboy

amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
This is a really helpful thread cause both those guitars are ones I have considered purchasing (and still am). It is good to get some opinions head-to-head.

Cheers Gamba!
amonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 11:16 AM   #9
Cancer:The Crucifuct

Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
The Ibby for me too, although its a preference issue. THe SC's are amazing though, save for the bridge and pickup placement.
Cancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #10
The Viking himself

stuh84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/stuh84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/stuh84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/stuh84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/stuh84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/stuh84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/stuh84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm gonna agree with Zim here, I have never played a 7 string I hated so much as the Universes. Some people can make them work, but I'm not one of them. I preferred an LTD SC207, never mind the 607's :S
stuh84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 11:48 AM   #11
metalguitarist.org

Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
The pickup placement on the SC kills it for me. :\

Amp: 6505+ / Recto 4x12s
Rack: Axe-Fx II / HD1221s
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 11:53 AM   #12
Pantysniffing zombie

JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Yeah, especially since they're EMG's. They're so ....ing close to the string you can not pick properly. I came to this conclusion after playing a 207 with passives...so you can imagine what the EMG's would be like.
JJ Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 11:58 AM   #13
metalguitarist.org

Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.
I didn't have that problem on my Hellraiser, but I hated the 707 in the neck position.

The UV, on the other hand - man, I LOVE the blaze in the neck.

Unread 12-28-2007, 11:59 AM   #14
Ibanez Guitars

Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Get a UV7BK. The best playing 7 ever.
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 11:59 AM   #15
Ibanez Guitars

Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Quote:

I do too however, for some reason, I really like the new7 neck a little better.
Unread 12-28-2007, 12:02 PM   #16
Pantysniffing zombie

JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
I didn't have that problem on my Hellraiser, but I hated the 707 in the neck position.

I'm talking about the middle position, not the fact they were EMG's I actually like EMG's, but generally only put them in a cheaper guitar to spice it up, in a higher end guitar I get passives.
JJ Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 12:04 PM   #17
metalguitarist.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Rodriguez View Post
I'm talking about the middle position, not the fact they were EMG's I actually like EMG's, but generally only put them in a cheaper guitar to spice it up, in a higher end guitar I get passives.
Yeah I know. I'm a believer that middle = single coil, neck = passive. If there is no middle, right on. If the middle is an active and there is NO neck at all.. wtf?

Unread 12-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #18
Banned

Variant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
I agree with Chris here, I fail to understand why (despite it being a singnature model) the flagship ESP seven continues to use a pickup configuration that pretty much no one else in the world besides Stef likes... or why there are five different models, yet none with a trem. A passive pup option couldn't hurt either.

Personally, the 27" scale is a big plus, but I could pass on the mahogony, and ESP's neck profiles don't make my hands happy. They're not bad, I just prefer the thinner necks of the Ibanez and Jackson relm. My suggestion: Track down a 1077XL: Real trem, more flexible sound, 27" as well, Prestige build quality, simply the best production seven out there... better than the UV IMHO.
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #19
Ibanez Guitars

Maybe this'll help you~

Unread 12-28-2007, 12:17 PM   #20
Banned

Variant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
New7's are great in any other configuration besides neck/humbucking... which, unfortunately, is where most players do 90% their playing.
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 12:24 PM   #21
Sarcy English Twat

Location: 7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bruv, Safe, London, UK
7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Ok, the carpenters aren't my thing at all, and I am heavily biased to Universes, as well, I own 2 at the moment, and have owned another 3 (or so, I think). Basically the old universes are where it's at. Awesome necks on them, and they just to me sound great.

So, I'd vote for the universe, unless you're going to be tuning lower than A, in which case go extended scale or die

The 1077xl is a superb guitar as well, one pickup change to some decent ones, and bam, there you go, just massive sounds and playability in spades.

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
7 Dying Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 12:26 PM   #22
Sarcy English Twat

Location: 7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bruv, Safe, London, UK
7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Dunno, the new 7 in the neck was fun for a while, but I still prefer the blaze neck over it.

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
7 Dying Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 02:29 PM   #23
Paha Arkkitehti

MrJack is a jewel in the rough
I prefer my SC207 over the UV777P I got to test in terms of feel. Only way the SC207 could be better is if it was neck-thru like the SC607, SC607B, SC7 and had better pickups.
MrJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 03:29 PM   #24
SS Contributor

Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.
I'd take a maple SC607B over a Universe any day. Even with the EMGs, which is practically a dealbreaker in almost any guitar for me. I'd also route the neck for it to be HHS. I <3 HHS & HS.

Whether it's laughable or irrational, this is the path that ALL great men walk!
If there's a wall in our way, we'll destroy it!
If there's no road, we'll pave it with our own hands!
The magma in our hearts is blazing like flames!
Who the hell do you think we are?
Jongpil Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 04:09 PM   #25
Agent of Chaos

Apex1rg7x is a splendid one to beholdApex1rg7x is a splendid one to beholdApex1rg7x is a splendid one to beholdApex1rg7x is a splendid one to beholdApex1rg7x is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I agree to some extent that the sc607b is a good guitar, i dont agree that its better than a Universe. I just sold a mahogany 607B because i hated the feel compared to my Ibby's. This whole thread comes down to everyones personal opinion so i recommend that the guy who started the thread be able to compare them side by side. I honestly wouldnt trade my '97 UV for anything. I agree that the newer UV's aren't all that but the old school ones kick ass. You gotta play them and get a good feel for them to make this decision because they're 2 totally different guitars. Just my
Apex1rg7x is offline   Reply With Quote