homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
A Light in the Black

Terminatus is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Making a 6-string into a 7-string

First thing's first; Hi everyone, this is my first post, awesome board you guys have here.

Now that that's out of the way, onto the task at hand: A friend of mine has an old Peavy that he wants to turn into a 7 string. While I don't know much about it, I do know that it has a bolt on neck. My question is how he should go about making the neck cavity bigger if at all so as to accommodate the wider neck. This will also determine how he makes the pick up cavity bigger to match up match the string positions. If you need to know more, just ask and I'll probably be able to get the information from him.

Thanks in advance!
Terminatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-02-2007, 03:46 PM   #2
ss.org Regular

apocalypse013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminatus View Post
First thing's first; Hi everyone, this is my first post, awesome board you guys have here.

Now that that's out of the way, onto the task at hand: A friend of mine has an old Peavy that he wants to turn into a 7 string. While I don't know much about it, I do know that it has a bolt on neck. My question is how he should go about making the neck cavity bigger if at all so as to accommodate the wider neck. This will also determine how he makes the pick up cavity bigger to match up match the string positions. If you need to know more, just ask and I'll probably be able to get the information from him.

Thanks in advance!
you would have to re-route the entire guitar AND buy a 7 sting neck AND get all new electronics and a bridge etc.

it would cost less to buy a new 7

edit: and now that I think about it.. you would probably have to repaint it.. so that jacks up the price even more haha
apocalypse013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
Chief Officer/RHLC

ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
hey, its doable, but its going to be a massive pain in the ass
better off buying a new guitar.
you can get a good schecter 7 for like 400 bucks

Reverse Headstocks or Bust

:chris: ALL HEIL THE ADMINISHREDDER!
ibznorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
Desecrated
Dirty Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibznorange View Post
hey, its doable, but its going to be a massive pain in the ass
better off buying a new guitar.
you can get a good schecter 7 for like 400 bucks
+1
Unread 12-02-2007, 05:12 PM   #5
hates womanizers.

ShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himself
that would be way more work than it would be worth, imo.

I'm typing this on my knees with my butt in the air. -Drew
ShawnFjellstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
Lord Zorgatron

HamBungler is a name known to allHamBungler is a name known to allHamBungler is a name known to allHamBungler is a name known to all
Awhile ago I saw 6-7 string conversion necks that would fit in the 6 string route and go slightly over the neck pocket/cutaway to fit the rest of the neck. You'd still have to route the pickup cavity and whatnot, but that's one less step.

I'm assuming he's going to want to mass produce these rack pies, and why not? I love racks, I love pies, so put them together and you have pie covered titties. - JJ
Don't thank me, thank the wombat rapist. - Jamie
And Now, a song about Zombies.-some metalcore vocalist
Yeah the axe Devries made me automatically transforms into firewood! But it doesn't transform back. - udaz

Mah Deviantart

Myspace

The Many Faces of Egoraptor
HamBungler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
Texas CEO / RHLC

st2012 is a glorious beacon of lightst2012 is a glorious beacon of lightst2012 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It would be much easier to buy a starter 7-string. Schecter, Ibanez and Washburn have great 7-string guitars for less than 500 dollars.
st2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 02:00 AM   #8
OldschoolGhettostyle

Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Like many have said, it IS possible, but it would take a lot of time and money to do it and it'd be a real pain in the ass.

It'd be cheaper and easier to just buy a sevenstring.
Naren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 02:41 AM   #9
F'king ............

distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Agree with everyone. Even if it was do-able it would cost a fortune and probably wouldn't look or play that great. If your friend wants to do something wierd with his old guitar, he could try converting it into a fretless. Much cheaper and easier, and will inspire A LOT of new sounds.

Define 'well-adjusted'...

http://farsideguitars.blogspot.com/
distressed_romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 03:47 AM   #10
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It can be done, not so many problems, but you have to have custom bridge to do that, cause string spacing at the bridge have to be smaller. At nut it's not big problem, blank nut will be ok, then slots with smaller spacing. Pickups - only those with blade magnets like X2N
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 06:51 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

bobbyretelle is a jewel in the rough
i actually have a telecaster body that i really wanted to this to but, im short on money now.

i just thought it would be badass to have a tele 7 haha
bobbyretelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 07:56 AM   #12
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself
Good luck
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 08:29 AM   #13
Feral Buddha

stubhead is a glorious beacon of lightstubhead is a glorious beacon of lightstubhead is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What I HAVE figured out is that it would be fairly easy to mount a Warmoth seven-string neck on a standard-pocket BASS body like this:

Warmoth Direct - Replacement Guitar Necks, Custom Guitar Necks, Guitar Conversion Necks
Warmoth Direct - Bodies Overview

The heel width of the seven necks are 2 5/8", and a standard Fenderish bass neck pocket is 2 1/2", so you'd just have to shave 1/16" of an inch off the sides of the bass neck pocket. You could use a standard seven-string hardtail bridge and work with Warmoth on the placement of a EMG "35"-sized pickup route - crap, I'm already building three guitars, maybe next century....
stubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 09:01 AM   #14
Resident Gangsta

GH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamBungler View Post
Awhile ago I saw 6-7 string conversion necks that would fit in the 6 string route and go slightly over the neck pocket/cutaway to fit the rest of the neck. You'd still have to route the pickup cavity and whatnot, but that's one less step.
link?
GH0STrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 09:16 AM   #15
Ken

Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
*shudder*

Best of luck. I'd like a diesel motor in my little Nissan pickup when you're done with that.

Seriously, pick up an entry level 7. If this exactly transpires, I would really like to see pictures, a time log, and how much money was spent.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote