homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-02-2007, 09:31 AM   #1
Good news, everyone!

Ketzer is a name known to allKetzer is a name known to allKetzer is a name known to allKetzer is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Arrow Okay, Crunch time. Help me with a custom.

, Please don't kill me for anything I'm saying here.

One of the bands I play in has a tentative record contract, contingent on us selecting a new name by July 1 of next year. Currently, I'm playing a heavily modified Jackson KVX10 as my main stage-guitar (and I mean heavily modified). I'm gonna put $100/month + whatever extra money I make from contests and tournaments and whatnot into a custom guitar fund, I'll probably have about $2000 by next summer. I plan to keep on saving afterwards, but I'm seriously thinking about getting (ordering, anyway) a custom guitar by X-mas of 2008, as I just want one guitar that's capable of replacing my KV, my RG7620, and even maybe my Piezo-equipped S.

Specs I'd want would be a KV shape or something like the Warrior or ML(don't kill me, not the exact design), with 7 strings, a Piezo FR-style bridge (if possible), and some 7-string blackouts or equally hot pickups, along with all the usual crap, NTB, Bound fretboard, maybe some wicked paintjob, etc.

However, I've no experience with designing custom shop guitars at all, or what shop makes the best ones for the money. I've heard Sims is bad now, what with quality dropping off and long waiting lines, so that's out of the question AFIAK.

I can't see that Carvin offers a 7-string V, so that's also nixed.

Which leaves KxK, RAN, and the Jackson Custom Shop.

I've never played a RAN, but I've heard great things.

My friend's KxK is an amazing guitar, he told me that I could definitely get my specs built, minus a graphic (not that know what I want yet), but the prices seem high.

Jackson offers what I want, but due to their being owned by FMIC and being a big-brand, would have a long wait list and high prices. on the flip-side, I've been playing Jackson guitars for a few years, and I've never once had a problems with them and stuff's readily available. The fact that their art division is top-notch is a plus, but I'm more concerned with value.

Any other brands that offer what I'm looking for, Features I may not have thought of yet, anything. Please inform me of them, and their benefits, as I've never had this kind of freedom with designing a guitar from scratch.

So, anyone with custom chop experience, regardless of what brands they've used or know anything about, your input will be greatly appreciated.

"Appreciating the beauty in music fast enough to blow mortals' faces off."
More notes per second = More emotion per second
"Djent" just may be the worst word created in all of ever.

SELF-APPOINTED EMG WIZARD
Ketzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-02-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
ss.org Regular

FortePenance is shredding to new heights.FortePenance is shredding to new heights.FortePenance is shredding to new heights.FortePenance is shredding to new heights.FortePenance is shredding to new heights.FortePenance is shredding to new heights.FortePenance is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Just 2 quick points cuz it's nearly my bedtime:

Jackson custom shop is really expensive. I don't think 2000 would cover it? I dunno though, eaeolian and noodles were/are jackson endorsers, try asking them a Q or 2?

And the only floyd rose piezo bridge I'm aware of is on the JP7 and the Ibanez Double Edge. Two very rare trems and I think someone like Ran, KXK or Jackson wouldn't put one of those trems on.
FortePenance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 09:40 AM   #3
Good news, everyone!

Ketzer is a name known to allKetzer is a name known to allKetzer is a name known to allKetzer is a name known to all
yeah, I was afraid of that with the piezo-7 bridges.

Do you think it would be possible to obtain one of those bridges myself or wire it myself (I can do it, I just need the materials) and ask the manufacturers if i sent it if they could put it on?

the $2000 was just a reference point, if I stick with my trend and save until xmas, I should probably have about $3500 by xmas '08. I'd like to spend less, but I am one uncompromising SOB.

Unread 12-02-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!

yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Hi we have here many luthiers and dudes who is representing luthiers here.

I think that the best are here is Sherman Guitars (USA) and Roter Guitars (Poland)

So you can contact they and they can give you much advices and you will know the prices

Sheman gutars - msherman

Rotes guitars - Apophis

Theie sites

Roter Custom Guitars

Welcome to Sherman Guitars - The Finest Custom Guitars Anywhere

Good luck

Sorry for my english
yevetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #5
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The thing about the peizo bridge:
Finding a bridge isnt the hard part, its finding the saddles

If you went with a type of bridge that could fit strat saddles, you could get it done, but the problem is it wouldnt be double locking. Apparently, Graphtech has been working on floyd rose peizo saddles , but they still havent come out yet.
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 09:55 AM   #6
Good news, everyone!

yeah, I understand that, I assume that I could get one more saddle somewhere and put it with the 6 from my S and the Edge-7 from my 7620 to make a 7-string piezo bridge.

Is that doable or am I missing something?

Unread 12-02-2007, 10:22 AM   #7
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There's no piezo saddles at all for floyds
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 10:47 AM   #8
im leaving ss.org

Xtremevillan has much to be proud ofXtremevillan has much to be proud ofXtremevillan has much to be proud ofXtremevillan has much to be proud ofXtremevillan has much to be proud ofXtremevillan has much to be proud ofXtremevillan has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
If you're looking for a 7-string X-shape, a Xiphos 7 is coming out next year.

A pickup change might be necessary but that's pretty much it.
Xtremevillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 10:56 AM   #9
Good news, everyone!

I've seen the Xiphos 7, and played the 6-string version. The 6 was neck-heavy, and a 7 would be even worse, I'd imagine. It can't hurt to try one when they hit, though.

Unread 12-02-2007, 12:35 PM   #10
Chief Officer/RHLC

ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
as far as the piezo trem, theres a few people on here who have talked ot the guys at graphtech, who have said that the floyd piezo saddles will be out in december. just pop an ofr in there and you will be ready when they come out

as far as the stealing a saddle, you gotta find another double edge saddle. good luck with that man, and then you have to mod out a lopro or edge pro 7 to fit it, cause the saddles are a slightly different size. youre best off either trying to get an ofr and putting the saddles, or trying to get a double edge, and good luck getting a custom builder to put ibanez parts in there

Reverse Headstocks or Bust

:chris: ALL HEIL THE ADMINISHREDDER!
ibznorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 12:56 PM   #11
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzer View Post
yeah, I understand that, I assume that I could get one more saddle somewhere and put it with the 6 from my S and the Edge-7 from my 7620 to make a 7-string piezo bridge.

Is that doable or am I missing something?
No that won't work. Unless you get endorsed by Ibanez your only option is to gut a guitar equipped with seven string Double Edge. Problem with doing that is that most custom shops won't use another guitar maker's trem.

You could also pick up the phone and call Graphtech and check on their Floyd saddles and I think they may have them available for the Hipshot trem, but you'd have to ask them.

As for a builder, price/performance I'd say go with KxK. If you think KxK is too expensive you really haven't done much looking at builders yet. You're looking at $4k+ for a custom Jackson and a two year wait time Also keep in mind if you go with a builder outside the US you're looking at a ~9% customs fee when you import the guitar.

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote