homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

View Poll Results: Which kind of inlays would look best?
Ibanez Shark Tooth 1 1.43%
Prestige Dots 18 25.71%
Sevenstring.org 10 14.29%
Blank is best 41 58.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-08-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
Double Edge FTW

Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Question Does this look cool? (aka Should I do this?)

Even though most of you prefer blank fretboards, I definately want to get inlays on my Japanez. I have a hard time playing stuff on higher strings/frets without them. So I was thinking of going with either Ibanez style shark tooth inlays (which will cost a lot), or just going with continuing the small dots at the edge of the fretboard (Kinda like the old JPMs and other Prestige guitars).

But then I just got an idea...

Mind you, I'm not a great photoshopper. But I'm figuring starting the "t" on the 12th fret, and spacing everything out evenly, 1 letter per fret.

So which do you guys think I should go with?
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-08-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
SS Contributor

ohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnate
Personally I'd leave it alone. It's a groovy guitar and messing with it just seems wrong.
ohio_eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
If you're going to do anything do the offset dots (I guess what you referred to as 'Prestige inlay'). Personally I'd leave it alone

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #4
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself
Blank looks the most "profesional" But I like this SS.org inlay so I vote for it
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 12:06 PM   #5
Poland CEO / RHLC

Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blank - always rules
Sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
Ibanez Guitars

Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I don't know....a guitar like that, which is rare, i'd leave it but if I were to inlays, i'd go with the prestige dots.
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 12:13 PM   #7
AU director / RHLC

cow 7 sig is a glorious beacon of lightcow 7 sig is a glorious beacon of lightcow 7 sig is a glorious beacon of light
blank

do you have a fetish for reverse heads stocks?,do you find your self sweating or drooling over the site of a reverse head stock? if the answer is yes then i can help with therapy and rehab.join RHLC to feel normal again.....first consult free,normal rates apply after..LOL

Rock The Fuck Out
..DAN/CYBERSYN

NOS tube freak

MESA OWNERS CLUB MEMBER..R-014XXX
cow 7 sig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 12:14 PM   #8
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

djpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Bro - personally with a 2127 I would just get those fretboard stickers or something - dont want to mess around with that rare a guitar.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 12:25 PM   #9
ouh...

Seedawakener is pretty damn metal.Seedawakener is pretty damn metal.Seedawakener is pretty damn metal.Seedawakener is pretty damn metal.Seedawakener is pretty damn metal.Seedawakener is pretty damn metal.Seedawakener is pretty damn metal.Seedawakener is pretty damn metal.
You should get the K-7 inlay. Those are wicked!

Nah, but I'd leave it alone or get the prestige dots.

Check out my Myspace for some fusion and prog! www.myspace.com/ianeiderbo
Seedawakener is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!

yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Yeah...it's a good idea....but not for this guitar

But I think I will do that someday with some of my guitar

Sorry for my english
yevetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 01:53 PM   #11
Manager / RHLC

skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I thought some time ago to get a tattoo of sevenstring.org but then I forget it.

I think that will be cool to see a guitar with that inlay in abalone.

Back to da 'hood (sevenstring.org)
skinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 01:55 PM   #12
Hasta la vista, Baby

Emperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
As much as I love this forum, I'll never put a website "ad" on my guitar

I'd go with small dots (abalone, maybe? ).
Emperoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 02:18 PM   #13
I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!

yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.
No dude really it's a really good guitar to do something with it.

EDIT: I think that ESP LTD MF-207 or Jackson RR-7 will be better for some experemets like that

Sorry for my english

Last edited by yevetz; 11-08-2007 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 11-08-2007, 02:59 PM   #14
President / RHLC

playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoff View Post
As much as I love this forum, I'll never put a website "ad" on my guitar
Yep. That would really be "too much".

Keep it blank.

Become one of us or die, ....ers. / Rick

RIP Garcia3441
playstopause is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 03:05 PM   #15
{##[====:::.

Leon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
it's hard to say. if you never plan on selling it, go for it! rosewood fretboards are pretty replaceable if you ever want to change it back.

thinking of resale value, going with stickers seems a good idea. but really, do you play that one out at all? why not do it to your RG7420?

Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 05:38 PM   #16
Double Edge FTW

Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
it's hard to say. if you never plan on selling it, go for it! rosewood fretboards are pretty replaceable if you ever want to change it back.

thinking of resale value, going with stickers seems a good idea. but really, do you play that one out at all? why not do it to your RG7420?
1. I never plan on selling it
2. I don't play it out
3. The RG7420 already has inlays. I was thinking of doing it to the 2127, cuz it doesn't have any inlays, and I'd like ot have inlays on it. I'd play it more if it did. But in any case, I think I'll prolly end up going with the offset dots.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 06:16 PM   #17
sweep.tap.sweep

xwmucradiox is a splendid one to beholdxwmucradiox is a splendid one to beholdxwmucradiox is a splendid one to beholdxwmucradiox is a splendid one to beholdxwmucradiox is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
That ss.org inlay idea looks terrible and its not going to help you reall high up like you say you need. Offset dots sounds good. Doesn't the neck have side dots though? I dont even see the face dots when I play.
xwmucradiox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

Nats is a glorious beacon of lightNats is a glorious beacon of lightNats is a glorious beacon of light
bad idea. leave it blank

i wish they had more guitars with the shark tooth inlay
Nats is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 06:37 PM   #19
SS Contributor

Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.
BLANK

Whether it's laughable or irrational, this is the path that ALL great men walk!
If there's a wall in our way, we'll destroy it!
If there's no road, we'll pave it with our own hands!
The magma in our hearts is blazing like flames!
Who the hell do you think we are?
Jongpil Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #20
Banned

parabola5353 can only hope to improve
with a blank fretboard, does it take a while to get used to knowing it without the the dots? i know there are side dots, but i'm so used to looking at the ones on the board itself.
parabola5353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 09:16 PM   #21
Djavli te ponesli

El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I think the sevenstring.org inlay is a cool idea if you can live with it. I would chuck a sticker on there for a month first and see if you still like it before spending the cash to do it permanently though.

I've got offset dots on the EX and only the dots at the 12th on the 2027, I love the look of the offset dots but they offer little advantage. I know where you are coming from regular dots are far more practical but blank and offset dots look best in my opinion.

After seeing that blind person playing the other day, needing a visual aid makes me feel inadequate.
El Caco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 10:36 PM   #22
I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
1. I never plan on selling it
2. I don't play it out
3. The RG7420 already has inlays. I was thinking of doing it to the 2127, cuz it doesn't have any inlays, and I'd like ot have inlays on it. I'd play it more if it did. But in any case, I think I'll prolly end up going with the offset dots.
Concidering all that I will say go for it. Coz I like that idea. But if you really don't play it out, so sell it to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwmucradiox View Post
That ss.org inlay idea looks terrible and its not going to help you reall high up like you say you need. Offset dots sounds good. Doesn't the neck have side dots though? I dont even see the face dots when I play.
Her has two side dots on a 12-th fret

Sorry for my english
Unread 11-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #23
Djavli te ponesli

El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.
Vova he means the dots on the side of the fretboard not the ones on the face.
El Caco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 10:44 PM   #24
Arktanian Diplomat

Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.
I'm not really diggin that man. As much as this place rules, I just wouldn't do that. A sticker on my car will suffice

Blank fretboards are the way to go IMO, and inlay work is best subtle and tasteful.
Zepp88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 11:19 PM   #25
I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedragon View Post
Vova he means the dots on the side of the fretboard not the ones on the face.
oooooooooopss.......sorry....my shitly English

Sorry for my english