homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-04-2007, 10:16 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

gothmonkey is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Carvin + emgs

hey to all you carvin users! ive been thinking about getting a Carvin as my next 7 string investment so i was wondering what do you all guys think of the guitars? because it looks like the only way id my ideal tremeloed 7 string is if i find a ESP/LTD M-307 but i dont know my chances of finding a pristine one or if ESP makes one for 2008 (heres to hoping!! )

so i ask you guys how do you like the guitars?? also has any of you put EMG707s in em?

thanks guys!
gothmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-04-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
The Flip-Flopper

Codyyy is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Codyyy is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Codyyy is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Codyyy is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Codyyy is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Codyyy is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Codyyy is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
blaaaaasphemyyyyyyyyyy!

Sorry Carvins just seem like such sweet guitars, I couldn't imagine raping their essence with EMG's.
Codyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2007, 10:22 AM   #3
Canis lupis obscurus

The Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnate
I ever get a Carvin, as much as I like EMGs, I think I'd almost for sure go with some Bare Knuckles for that. They seem like a real good fit.

http://www.wolf.org
The Dark Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2007, 10:24 AM   #4
new album soon!

Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
if you have to have EMGs in a carvin, it would probably be wise to get the tung oiled body option. i'm sure it would make routing a hell of a lot easier and most likely come out looking a lot cleaner.
with the exception of dimarzios (plastic baseplate you can grind down) any aftermarket pickups you put in 727/ 747 will require routing or some significant sanding. so i guess EMGs would be a good fit if that's the sound you're after.
Edroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!

yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
EMG will sound in any guitar ......sound will be almost the same. Doesnt matter Ibanez,Cravin, Schecter..........etc

Sorry for my english
yevetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
hates womanizers.

ShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himself
carvin + emgs = serious routing

I'm typing this on my knees with my butt in the air. -Drew
ShawnFjellstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2007, 06:58 PM   #7
Cold As Ice

HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnFjellstad View Post
carvin + emgs = serious routing
Carvin + EMGs = serious tone-suckage

Guitars: PRS (lots <3), Suhr, Parker, Schecter
Rigs: Invader 100, Port City and Mojo cabs w/ Scumback M75's/Hellatone 60's

HighGain510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2007, 07:04 PM   #8
Sign Your Neg Rep Posts!

Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by yevetz View Post
EMG will sound in any guitar ......sound will be almost the same. Doesnt matter Ibanez,Cravin, Schecter..........etc
That's opinion just like someone else will say just the exact opposite

"I wish TV had a knob so you could turn up the intelligence. The one marked Brightness doesn't work."

Gallagher
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2007, 07:09 PM   #9
I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!

yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
That's opinion just like someone else will say just the exact opposite
Yes it's only my opinion ......and it's from my expiriance

Pickups test-drive (unfortunately without pics)

Sorry for my english
Unread 11-04-2007, 07:32 PM   #10
SS Contributor

ChrisPcritter is a glorious beacon of lightChrisPcritter is a glorious beacon of lightChrisPcritter is a glorious beacon of light
There was a guy out here that had one that he listed with EMG's installed. It was black with maple fingerboard. He finally lowered the price to $400 because there was not much interest. If I had the cash at the time I would have paid the $400 for it. I even listed it on here under hot auction threads and it got no attention. I'm neither a huge fan of emg's or a hater. I just got some to put in my old charvel actually. I do think once you route it for emgs it will bring the resale price down a bit. If you're sure it's what you want "to keep" then I'd say go for it...Chris
ChrisPcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2007, 07:45 PM   #11
Hard-On For Freedom™

JBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
I found James Murphy's response to that line somewhat amusing...

Pickups - Ultimate Metal Forum

Jeff
JBroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2007, 08:41 PM   #12
I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBroll View Post
I found James Murphy's response to that line somewhat amusing...

Pickups - Ultimate Metal Forum

Jeff
I dunno who is him....but anyway I don't try to tell that EMG is bad.......I just have an expiriance with it........and my expiriance told me other things......yes for shure the they sounds differend in different types of wood........but they have like a some "they" sound that stronger than sound of wood.

Sorry for my english
Unread 11-04-2007, 08:49 PM   #13
Sign Your Neg Rep Posts!

Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.
James Murphy was/is? the guitarist for death..

"I wish TV had a knob so you could turn up the intelligence. The one marked Brightness doesn't work."

Gallagher
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2007, 11:00 PM   #14
ss.org Regular

Yoshi is just really niceYoshi is just really nice
I agree with james. I have had both and 81 in a mahogany guitar and an alder guitar, i hate 81 in alder. Its too bright to my ears.

If you are gonna go actives with the carvin, get the Blackouts for the 7 with normal size pups instead of the emg sized pup. Looks cleaner.
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 01:16 AM   #15
Dr. D. Suzuki

shredder777 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
+1.

You guys know its true.You could put emg's in a tissue box with strings and not notice much of a difference, When my 727 comes in im probably going to keep the pickups and just get the EMG After Burner thats why I went with the active pickups.
shredder777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 01:49 AM   #16
Hard-On For Freedom™

JBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himself
If you can't tell the difference between a Les Paul and a Jackson with EMGs you need to get your hearing checked. Period.

Jeff
Unread 11-05-2007, 04:42 AM   #17
ss.org Regular

FortePenance is shredding to new heights.FortePenance is shredding to new heights.FortePenance is shredding to new heights.FortePenance is shredding to new heights.FortePenance is shredding to new heights.FortePenance is shredding to new heights.FortePenance is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
^

A/Bing a LTD H1001 Deluxe against an LTD M Deluxe? They both have 81s I believe and the LTD had waaay more bottom end to it.
FortePenance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 01:59 PM   #18
Dis ....in' guy...

JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.
My vote goes to standard sized Blackouts instead of EMG's
JPMDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 02:09 PM   #19
Chief Officer/RHLC ©

ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
god, i dont know where everyone gets this emgs always have the same tone, its just as casted to the wood (i think WAY more actually) than most passives. Ive never played a non oem pickup that sounded as horrible as some emg 81/85 sets ive heard. Ive also played some emg 81/85 and 81/60 sets that sounded AMAZING.

anyways. putting emgs in a carvin wont take any more routing than emgs in anything else. so what carvins mount funny. it doesnt matter if hes routing it.
If you like em, go for it, just be sure its what you want to do. really lowers resale value

Reverse Headstocks or Bust

:chris: ALL HEIL THE ADMINISHREDDER!
ibznorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 06:50 PM   #20
ss.org Regular

starsnuffer is just really nicestarsnuffer is just really nice
Go with dimarzio deactivators. They not only sound great in the carvin I have, but they have that "flat" sound EMG's have, but they're still dynamic and clean up superbly when you roll back the volume. They also don't need batteries and won't get you laughed at by your peers.

-W
starsnuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 10:15 PM   #21
ss.org Regular

Ext789 will become famous soon enough
EMG bashing is OUTRAGEOUS!!! haha.

seriously though, its lame. cut it out.

lots of pickups sound good, active and passive. its all good, just different.
Ext789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 10:29 PM   #22
Spastic Kitchen!

bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortePenance View Post
^

A/Bing a LTD H1001 Deluxe against an LTD M Deluxe? They both have 81s I believe and the LTD had waaay more bottom end to it.

So you A/B'd an LTD with an LTD and the LTD had more bottom end than the LTD?

EMG's do change their tone depending on the wood, but it is less of an effect than most passives because of the construction of the pickup compared with conventional pickup construction.

IMO, your tone is ~45% amp and ~40% pickup most of the time. A tele with humbuckers doesn't ound anything like a tele with single coils. A guitar with EMG's always sounds like it has EMG's. Not to say that a Carvin with EMG's sounds exactly like a Tiesco Del Ray with EMG's, but just that the tone will be more similar than if both of those guitars had Dimarzio Tone Zones.

[URL="http://sites.google.com/site/bostjanzupancickhereb/"[/URL]
bostjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 11:12 PM   #23
Dr. D. Suzuki

shredder777 is a jewel in the rough
Exactly, so no i dont think i gotta get my hearing checked because Jeff i find your post quite funny, your telling me if someone were to put up sound clips of a jackson and a les paul both equipped with EMG's you could tell the difference..GTFO id love to see that because honestly how much of a sound difference would there be between a few guitars with EMG's, ive heard alot of guitars with emgs and to me they sounded fairly similar to one another. Oh and im not bashing EMG they are my favourite brand of pickups and my guitar is equipped with them.
shredder777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 11:34 PM   #24
Hard-On For Freedom™

Wow... way to refute my statements by having someone agree with you and repeating what you said already. You know, with your intellect you shouldn't be arguing with people like me who just expect basic principles of physics to hold - you should be going after the people who waste their money (and good wood) making guitars out of things that aren't tissue boxes and slapping EMGs in them.

Jeff
Unread 11-06-2007, 12:03 AM   #25
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
boys boys boys, get your tighty whiteys back up, its the farkin' internet.

if EMG tone is what you want, then get EMG's. whoever said that actives and passives arent better then the other, just different, seems to have the best info.

i have had very little experience with guitars with EMG's vs guitars with passives, and I like both. but in the end i would get passives because they suit my tastes and styles better. doesnt mean that EMG actives wouldnt do a fine job of those same styles, i just prefer passives.

get the ones you want, haters and whiners be damned.

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote