homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-19-2007, 04:31 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

emonk is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking for new pickups for my rg7321

So I have a cheap rg7321 which I have tired of the sound of. It plays great but ever since I got a rg2610e guitar with a duncan tb-10 on it everything else has paled in comparison.

So I'm looking for a new bridge pickup.

I don't like the sound of actives (too flat) and my amp is a peavey jsx. I usually have it set it for scooped mids and medium high gain.

I am considering the lundgren m7 but the only place I can find to buy it, it's $410 which is a hard pill to swallow. Also the reviews of the m7 seem to be fairly mixed, from being muddy to the greatest thing ever and I think it really depends on your amp, not something I want to make a $410 gamble on.

I play thrashish type stuff. Lots of single note phrases, lots of palm muting, lots of non-powerchord intervals, also lots of treble.

From what I've read the tb-10 isn't a super high output humbucker anyway it's just extremely articulate and that's also something i'm looking for from my 7string. I would just try another duncan pickup but there's no point in having two guitars that sound exactly the same. Anything else I should research?
emonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-19-2007, 04:56 AM   #2
Lord Boyd

jamesboyd is a jewel in the rough
I've been a fan of duncans for a long time..........great voicing for recording/most applications etc, but.............

because it's a 7321 made of basswood I would probably recommend dimarzio, most cool tones with baswood imo have been made with emg's or dimarzio's.

try the evo, blaze, or d-sonic.

If you really want super tight wait for the blackout (yeah they're active but from the write ups they're possibly less 'squished' than emg's)

good luck
jamesboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
SS.org Sushi Whore

Location: The Province of the Poutine tabarnaque! (Montreal....)
DeL07 is a jewel in the rough
If you like a scooped rhythm sound, the Blaze Bridge is awesome... but for what you're looking for, being lots of treble, good note articulation and very clear I'd recommend the EVO7 bridge... It's exactly what you want...

Up the shut ...., you must.
DeL07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2007, 06:16 PM   #4
ss.org Regular

yeah I'm leaning towards the evo7... your sig is awesome btw.
Unread 08-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

etohk is just really niceetohk is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I put a blaze custom in my 7321 and it sounds great. Sound is a lot less compressed than my 81-7 and particularly articulate on the low B.

Initially I wasnt happy with it, then I realized that I had accidentally dropped some solder between the first and second position on the 5 way switch...
etohk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2007, 09:47 PM   #6
ss.org Regular

Well I bought an evo7 and stuck it in... I have to say it sounds nearly identical to what it sounded like before, at least for bass-heavy riffage. Slightly cleaner highs than the stock pickups but it's probably just because the output levels are a bit lower overall.

It sounds a bit too fuzzy for my tastes, which is also what the emg's end up sounding like through my amp.

Perhaps I'm just a seymour duncan kind of guy. I'm going to put this evo in the neck and see what it sounds like or maybe exchange it for a different dimarzio since it came with a sticker that said I could do that.
Unread 08-24-2007, 09:56 PM   #7
hates womanizers.

ShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by emonk View Post
Well I bought an evo7 and stuck it in... I have to say it sounds nearly identical to what it sounded like before, at least for bass-heavy riffage. Slightly cleaner highs than the stock pickups but it's probably just because the output levels are a bit lower overall.

It sounds a bit too fuzzy for my tastes, which is also what the emg's end up sounding like through my amp.

Perhaps I'm just a seymour duncan kind of guy. I'm going to put this evo in the neck and see what it sounds like or maybe exchange it for a different dimarzio since it came with a sticker that said I could do that.
maybe you just need to back off on the treble a bit.
i had evo7s in my carvin and they never sounded fuzzy.

or maybe your just a duncan sort of guy.

I'm typing this on my knees with my butt in the air. -Drew
ShawnFjellstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2007, 07:42 PM   #8
ss.org Regular

your_mum is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Maybe swap it for an X2N-7 and maybe you should mess around with the EQ on your amp.

Fire is your friend.
your_mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2007, 01:27 PM   #9
Playing guitar.

Faine is a splendid one to beholdFaine is a splendid one to beholdFaine is a splendid one to beholdFaine is a splendid one to beholdFaine is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ehh, I'm havin the same problem with Pickups ( deciding which one to buy) and everyone has a different choice...lol I dont know what one to pick!!
Faine is offline   Reply With Quote