homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-18-2007, 04:56 AM   #1
SS Contributor

Drache713 is a splendid one to beholdDrache713 is a splendid one to beholdDrache713 is a splendid one to beholdDrache713 is a splendid one to beholdDrache713 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Hand cramps/discomfort/pain?

So I have noticed that playing my RG7421 that the neck is flat and thin obviously, and playing it for a while causes my hand to cramp up and it becomes uncomfortable and mildly painful. If I were to play a guitar with a bigger and/or rounder neck, would this help to alleviate the discomfort/pain/cramp problem(s) in any significant way? I would say I have medium-to-large hands in terms of size.

.... it, you only live once!
Personal Myspace page
Band Myspace page
Drache713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-18-2007, 05:02 AM   #2
I LIKE JUICE!!!

TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
How tightly are you holding it? Usually when this happens, rather than the neck, it's more of an issue of the player gripping too tight or otherwise tensing their muscles too much. Use just enough force to bring the string down to the fret. Much more than that is just excessive.

"Tom, you're like 1 part a serious dork, and 2 parts the most awesome ....ing guy ever." -
TomAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 05:03 AM   #3
IKILLUWITHMYBALDHEAD

MetalMike is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/MetalMike is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/MetalMike is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/MetalMike is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/MetalMike is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/MetalMike is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/MetalMike is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yes. Playing with a guitar with a larger neck profile would alleviate some of your symptoms. My advice however, is to take a break from guitar all together for a minimum of three days and stretch your hands out prior to even touching the guitar.

I had a few minor issues with hand pain, but I know Drew had a hard time with tendonitis at one point. When he chimes in, he can give you better advice than I can.

It's scary to not be able to physically play guitar. Good luck man.
MetalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 05:04 AM   #4
SS Contributor

Drache713 is a splendid one to beholdDrache713 is a splendid one to beholdDrache713 is a splendid one to beholdDrache713 is a splendid one to beholdDrache713 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAwesome View Post
How tightly are you holding it? Usually when this happens, rather than the neck, it's more of an issue of the player gripping too tight or otherwise tensing their muscles too much. Use just enough force to bring the string down to the fret. Much more than that is just excessive.
I only really get a chance to play these days at band practice, and I tend to get pretty into it so I'm gripping pretty hard. and if it's worth mentioning i have the guitar on my strap set up pretty high.

Personal Myspace page
Band Myspace page
Unread 08-18-2007, 05:06 AM   #5
SS Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMike View Post
Yes. Playing with a guitar with a larger neck profile would alleviate some of your symptoms. My advice however, is to take a break from guitar all together for a minimum of three days and stretch your hands out prior to even touching the guitar.

I had a few minor issues with hand pain, but I know Drew had a hard time with tendonitis at one point. When he chimes in, he can give you better advice than I can.

It's scary to not be able to physically play guitar. Good luck man.
It hasn't gotton to THAT point for me and hopefully it won't. I'll just be playing for a while and i'll start to notice that it's uncomfortable and my hand is cramping up, and i have to stop playing for like 30 seconds and then I start up again and I'm good for a while longer.

Personal Myspace page
Band Myspace page
Unread 08-18-2007, 06:08 AM   #6
I LIKE JUICE!!!

TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drache713 View Post
I only really get a chance to play these days at band practice, and I tend to get pretty into it so I'm gripping pretty hard. and if it's worth mentioning i have the guitar on my strap set up pretty high.
Well there you go! Just ease up on the grip as much as you can manage, and that that should help. I don't think the guitar being up high is bad as long as it's in a comfortable position.

"Tom, you're like 1 part a serious dork, and 2 parts the most awesome ....ing guy ever." -
TomAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 08:41 AM   #7
I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!

yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
It was with me too....you'll get over it

Sorry for my english
yevetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 08:46 AM   #8
SS.org Regular

guitarplayerone is a name known to allguitarplayerone is a name known to allguitarplayerone is a name known to allguitarplayerone is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
if you are gripping too hard like that, then your fretting hand isnt ready for a thin neck yet... go to GC and try a hellraiser or a COW
guitarplayerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 08:59 AM   #9
Medicine Chief/RHLCİ

Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drache713 View Post
So I have noticed that playing my RG7421 that the neck is flat and thin obviously, and playing it for a while causes my hand to cramp up and it becomes uncomfortable and mildly painful. If I were to play a guitar with a bigger and/or rounder neck, would this help to alleviate the discomfort/pain/cramp problem(s) in any significant way? I would say I have medium-to-large hands in terms of size.
As stated earlier, give a Schecter Hellraise, or C-7 a try. Ibanez makes GREAT necks, but they're just not for me. Schecter necks are a bit more rounded, so I can grip it without scrunching my hand up

AHHH MOTHERLAND!

All hail soviet Arktanistan-Groffistan!
Groff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 06:25 PM   #10
Defying gravity.

Universalis is just really niceUniversalis is just really nice
Theorically, the more you get used to a "correct" handling of the guitar the more you'll be able to avoid pain, tendonitis etc. And for "correct" I mean the most relaxed and orthodox handling you can use.

www.monouno.com
Universalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 11:16 PM   #11
Banned

milnersXcoupe can only hope to improve
Exclamation Couple of Points

Yes, your Guitar position can cause hand cramping.

Hands connect with mid spine nerve bundles - the lower and middle of your back in a wide spread.

Should the 'flow' of information strike sharp angularity along the path - your muscles then fight against each other - your grip will become more intense with less relaxation - eventually using up all the available neuro muscular 'fuel' - hence 'cramping'.

Your arm should 'drape' from the shoulder - without sharp angles in elbow or wrist up to the Guitar neck - take a look at Classic Guitar Players positions...
there's a reason.

Fuels:

Omega 3 Oil is the Fuel of Muscles - and Brain - and Joints and soft Tissues.

The body needs a large supply of it - and extracts it from joints and muscles to fuel the Brain should your diet be low in Omega 3 oils.

Puritan's Pride Vitamins: Discount Vitamins and Herbal Supplements

Purchase Omega 3 oil gel caps.

Optimum Levels:

EPA - 465 MG
DHA - 375 MG

Take Four Times Daily.

If you have a Prescription Drug Plan that allows you a $3.00 co-pay,
get a script from your Physician for:

OMACOR

this is Pharmaceutical Omega 3 -

taken at the above dosages you will avoid a Stroke and Heart Attack as stated by The American Stroke Association - for Life.

Over the counter Omega 3 is roughly one third the strength - so adjust your
dosage accordingly.

Powdered Vitamins and Minerals at ALL ONE

'Phyto Green' is the product to purchase.

'Going Green' is the Free product disclosure - 1 - 800 - 235 - 5727 .

Mix with Westsoy Plain Enriched Soy Milk - in blender - 1 Lg. coffee scoop to
glass and half of Soy Milk.

Glucosamine Chondroiten: Buy at the Drug Store - rebuilds cartilage in finger joints in conjunction with 'All One' Nutrient 'Phyto Green' / Omega 3 use.

Purchase an plug in style Electric hand held 'Massager' - you Drug Store or Wal Mart.

Plug in next to bed - in evening turn it on leaving the 'Heat' off.

Place hand palm down onto 'Massager' - half hour each hand.

Massage effect allows cartilage to 'reshape' and 'resize' as well
as pumping in Nutrients to restore the structures.

Do the above - your hands will remain 'Forever Young' -

milnersXcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote