homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-20-2004, 08:40 PM   #1
Divinitus Infallibilis
Site Contributor

Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Dimarizo Evolution 7

Just popped one in on my 7420. I'm actually impressed. Everybody usually complains that this pickup is to much to handle or whatever. So that's why I tried it out!!!!! Cleans aren't too bad nor to hot, but pretty hot.. It phases nice on the 5 way switch....
It's a touch brighter and a lot hotter than my tonezone7.

Born of Fire//--\\ Consumed by it
Divinitus Infallibilis

Digital Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-27-2004, 07:38 AM   #2
oYx
ss.org Regular

oYx is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
any idea how it compares to the SD JB?

also, does the evo distort even a tiny bit when played clean?
oYx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2004, 04:27 PM   #3
Divinitus Infallibilis
Site Contributor

Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.
Yeah it distorts a lot, but....i run my clean channel conservitive and use a SS preamp which helps. I have it on a 5 way switch. Put it out of phase it clean up nicely, run the inner coils of both bridge and neck is sweet too.

I owned one SD ( super D)and played on many with other peoples axes. I refuse to buy and use them. I stick to Dimarizo...

Divinitus Infallibilis

Unread 08-27-2004, 04:50 PM   #4
...is bitching

Jerich is a splendid one to beholdJerich is a splendid one to beholdJerich is a splendid one to beholdJerich is a splendid one to beholdJerich is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i use it

I have installed in into two of my Carvin 747's with a Blaze Custom in the bridge and the Carvin stock single coil in the middle...i think the evolution 7 sound great it is a lot hooter...but really nice lead tone...i find it to be my new crutch..hehehhe

Brunetti Amplifiers
Member since 07-02-2004..
Jerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2004, 04:51 PM   #5
...is bitching

Jerich is a splendid one to beholdJerich is a splendid one to beholdJerich is a splendid one to beholdJerich is a splendid one to beholdJerich is a splendid one to behold
hooter

a lot hooter hehehe!!! a lot hotter......

Brunetti Amplifiers
Unread 08-28-2004, 01:04 AM   #6
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerich
I have installed in into two of my Carvin 747's with a Blaze Custom in the bridge and the Carvin stock single coil in the middle...i think the evolution 7 sound great it is a lot hooter...but really nice lead tone...i find it to be my new crutch..hehehhe
Doesnt carvin have smaller pickups? That must've been an ordeal with routing. Thats why im not putting EMGS in my 7s
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2004, 01:35 AM   #7
oYx
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth000
Yeah it distorts a lot, but....i run my clean channel conservitive and use a SS preamp which helps.
i am looking for a pup that can stay totally clean despite its high output. is the evo that?
Unread 08-28-2004, 02:56 AM   #8
ss.org Regular

neantir is on a distinguished road
I don't believe so. I have the Evo7 in my custom mockingbird and it tends to break up and sound quite harsh on the rhythm channel of my IIC+

It sounds quite nice distorted though. Very hi-fi sounding pickup with tight bass. Will cut through the mix, but the same harshness still applies. In summation, it's a great pickup for tight metal or shred but it won't sound organic, particularly bassy, or warm. So while I rate it fairly highly, it definately isnt for everyone.
neantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2004, 09:37 AM   #9
Divinitus Infallibilis
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oYx
i am looking for a pup that can stay totally clean despite its high output. is the evo that?
No, I primarily running it through my Rocktron Cheam 2k. there are a lot more gain option and level control ( both input and output). Run through a convention amp setup, you run into trouble. I dunno how this comparies to the 6 string version, but i was expectiing something closer to the shrill output of a super dist or something. This PIP is definatly in your face, but it isn't as wild as everybody seems to claim....

Divinitus Infallibilis

Unread 08-28-2004, 11:08 AM   #10
oYx
ss.org Regular

thanks for sharing that. looks like i will check out the SD JB first.
Unread 08-28-2004, 02:02 PM   #11
...is bitching

Hatebreeder

yes Carvin M26's are smaller so what you do is instead of milling out the pickup cavity you put the dimarzio pickups with plastic base and Mill them on a grinding wheel till they fir..Mine fit in very nicely. Now EMG 707's I had to mill out the pickup slots yes..then there is no turning back..you cannot do it with Seymour duncan's either they have metal base you cannot grind em' Dimarzio's are the only ones but you must clarify when you order them you want plastic base not metal....happy shreddin'

Brunetti Amplifiers
Unread 08-28-2004, 07:50 PM   #12
ss.org Regular

macalpine88 will become famous soon enough
i am going to buy evolution 7s for my rg7420, just curious on how you put them in, is there a diagram or something i can follow
macalpine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2004, 09:23 PM   #13
Divinitus Infallibilis
Site Contributor

7420 is a bit more complex.. The bridge "V" series pickups are only 3 wire. This is only in the v7 and v8 stock combo. You'll need to extensive change things around.. I suggest taking it to a tech..Ibanez .com has a diagram for the 7420 but this will not help you as the dimarizo is 4 wire and a braid..

Divinitus Infallibilis

Unread 08-28-2004, 09:56 PM   #14
ss.org Regular

it looks very complex to put on. do you mean i will have to rewire pickups that i am not changing?
Unread 08-28-2004, 11:30 PM   #15
Divinitus Infallibilis
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalpine88
it looks very complex to put on. do you mean i will have to rewire pickups that i am not changing?
I had too because the 5 way switch in my used 7420 was not a stock Ibanez (YM-50 i think is the particular one ibanez used, all black and very thin. ).

Divinitus Infallibilis

Unread 08-31-2004, 04:04 PM   #16
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I used to have a Evo7 in my 2027- huge fan of the sound of this pickup in mahogany, it'd almost make it worth grabbing another mahogany-bodied guitar, and it's a tonewood I'm not normally that big on.

Never had problems with the cleans (driving a Mesa Rocket-44 combo- very Mark-IV esq in origin, although not nearly as flexable)- they were actually quite nice, although admittedly i like slight breakup on the clean channel, and that's a rather dark amp. I could see this being too much driving a marshall, perhaps, or even maybe a Recto, but plug this thing into a good, spongy, dark clean channel and it's sheer bliss (although, the Tone Zone 7, which i was underwhelmed with distorted, sounded amazing clean in mahogany, so if it's a mahogany axe and a good clean bridge sound is your thing...).

-D

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2004, 05:50 PM   #17
ss.org Regular

i just put in an evo7 in and it sounds awsome, as everyone said, my only complaint is (maybe it is just my guitar) it seems to have a hard time picking up artificial harmonics. anyway I am 100% satisfied, it sounds so much better than the stock pickups
Unread 09-22-2004, 07:09 PM   #18
Divinitus Infallibilis
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalpine88
i just put in an evo7 in and it sounds awsome, as everyone said, my only complaint is (maybe it is just my guitar) it seems to have a hard time picking up artificial harmonics. anyway I am 100% satisfied, it sounds so much better than the stock pickups
Pinch Harmonics a bitch eh?

I noticed that too with both the Tonezone and the Evo. Something with the "dual harmonic design" or whatever. Boost the highs on your amp or increase the presence. Brings them right back out.

Divinitus Infallibilis