homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-09-2007, 02:07 AM   #1
SS Contributor

Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Reverse headstock?

What's the advantage? I figure it makes the low strings tighter and the high strings looser, but how much so? How does it figure into your playing?

Sorry for all the questions lately, getting a custom guitar built

Whether it's laughable or irrational, this is the path that ALL great men walk!
If there's a wall in our way, we'll destroy it!
If there's no road, we'll pave it with our own hands!
The magma in our hearts is blazing like flames!
Who the hell do you think we are?
Jongpil Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-09-2007, 02:15 AM   #2
:ubersquint:

OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It changes the percived tensionso the lower strings would feel looser and the higher strings tighter, actually.

With a locking nut in use, the only difference is asthetic.

You've got your head down
You've got your eyes closed
You look so pitiful now

Your body encrusted with ash
Breath heavy with toxins
Hair singed and matted
Clothes frayed and burnt

You are left with nothing
OzzyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 02:18 AM   #3
No More Mr. Nice Guy

Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Tension wise, wouldn't it be the oposite of a standard headstock?
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 02:18 AM   #4
Custom User Title

mnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
differences in string length dont change the tension, differences in string guage, and scale length will change the tension tho.

it seems like its mainly for aesthetics though, as having all the tuners on the bottom is kinda inconvenient, for me atleast, because i always turn the wrong tuner, gah
mnemonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 02:19 AM   #5
Oh no, no you don't!

Prometheus is a jewel in the rough
From what I've heard, it's the opposite actually. I think it's Noodles that has a custom KXK (the same company that made Karl Sander's awesome V), and he reckons he needs thicker strings on his reverse headstock guitar to have the same feel as the thinner strings on his other guitar, if that makes sense. Both have the same scale length, so the apparent lessening of the tension seems to be the fault of the reverse headstock. Bit of an eyeopener, I thought.

Still, they look so damn cool, it's probably worth it

"My education was dismal. I went to a series of schools for mentally disturbed teachers." - Woody Allen
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 02:28 AM   #6
SS Contributor

Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.
Well, I guess I was way off there, lol.

Unread 05-09-2007, 06:38 AM   #7
Poland CEO / RHLC

Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.
Reversed headstock.. i dont know whatadvantages it has..

But its looks killer ... and that counts for me

S7Figures.DeviantArt.com - Metal Figures!
Sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 07:12 AM   #8
ZPQ
ss.org Regular

ZPQ is on a distinguished road
With a locking nut it'll make no difference.
With a regular nut the difference will be slightly noticable when string bending - the change in total length means there's more (or less) metal to contribute to the stretching. Longer string should mean it'll be easier to bend.
ZPQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 07:33 AM   #9
-

metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPQ View Post
With a locking nut it'll make no difference.
With a regular nut the difference will be slightly noticable when string bending - the change in total length means there's more (or less) metal to contribute to the stretching. Longer string should mean it'll be easier to bend.
Spot on. The tension of the string will be identical for reversed or standard headstocks assuming the scale lengths, string gauge and tunings are the same. As ZPQ says the bending ability will alter, but this difference is only a slight one. Also as ZPQ said, a locking nut negates any differences anyway.
metalfiend666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #10
Sarcy English Twat

Location: 7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bruv, Safe, London, UK
7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
My hair doesn't get caught as much in reverse headstocks. Shallow, i know.

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
7 Dying Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 11:41 AM   #11
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
My hair doesn't get caught as much in reverse headstocks. Shallow, i know.
Well, we can't have that happening, now can we?

There was a thread about the misconceptions of reverse headstocks earlier.

Reverse Headstock Misconception

I just think they look cool.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 11:46 AM   #12
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemonic View Post
differences in string length dont change the tension, differences in string guage, and scale length will change the tension tho.
True - the tension will be the same regardless of what the headstock does after the nut, when tuned to a given pitch.

However, it IS easier to bend the bass strings on a guitar with a reversed headstock. it has something to do with tensile strength, I believe - metal is able to "flex" a certain amount per inch, basically, and accordingly it follows that the longer a string composed of a certain material, the more of it there will be to have a certain amount of "give" to it. It's subtle, but if you have a couple extra inches in play behind the (non-locking) nut, then the string will be a little more stretchy, and thus easier to bend.

A locking nut, of course, and none of this matters.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #13
President / RHLC

playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg7420user View Post
There was a thread about the misconceptions of reverse headstocks earlier.

Reverse Headstock Misconception

I just think they look cool.
Still being RHLC prez, i feel i should add that they're UBER cool.

I was also thinking about this recent thread as a good answer to the question.
It says it all.

Become one of us or die, ....ers. / Rick

RIP Garcia3441
playstopause is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #14
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
As still the VP of the RHLC, I agree.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 08:26 PM   #15
prototyping...

Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Are you going to use a locking nut Jongpil?
Durero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2007, 12:08 AM   #16
Poland CEO / RHLC

Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg7420user View Post
As still the VP of the RHLC, I agree.
VP= Vice President ?
RHLC = Reversed Headstock ... LC ?? stands for ?

Unread 05-10-2007, 12:10 AM   #17
SS Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGETATHEPUPPET View Post
VP= Vice President ?
RHLC = Reversed Headstock ... LC ?? stands for ?
Lover's club, I'd guess.

Anyways, no I won't be using a locking nut, but whatever.

Unread 05-10-2007, 12:12 AM   #18
Poland CEO / RHLC

Oh... right....

Unread 05-10-2007, 12:30 AM   #19
Bowes Guitars

canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
A reveresed headstock is more metal than a non-reversed headstock.
canuck brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2007, 02:26 AM   #20
Custom User Title

mnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
True - the tension will be the same regardless of what the headstock does after the nut, when tuned to a given pitch.

However, it IS easier to bend the bass strings on a guitar with a reversed headstock. it has something to do with tensile strength, I believe - metal is able to "flex" a certain amount per inch, basically, and accordingly it follows that the longer a string composed of a certain material, the more of it there will be to have a certain amount of "give" to it. It's subtle, but if you have a couple extra inches in play behind the (non-locking) nut, then the string will be a little more stretchy, and thus easier to bend.

A locking nut, of course, and none of this matters.
yeah, i see the logic behind that. is it really that noticeable tho? i've never really tried two guitars that were teh same accept for the headstock.

i know my dean and strat are both the same scale length with the same string guage, yet on my strat, the strings feel tighter, i've yet to figure that one out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck brian View Post
A reveresed headstock is more metal than a non-reversed headstock.
this i gotta agree with this

i still prefer 3+3 or 4+3 tho, easier to tune without turning the wrong tuner
mnemonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2007, 03:01 AM   #21
SS Contributor

The most metal headstock is made out of the bones of your fallen enemies.

Unread 05-10-2007, 03:09 AM   #22
prototyping...

Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongpil Yun View Post
Anyways, no I won't be using a locking nut, but whatever.
If you want to experiment before committing to your design, and you're concerned about your lowest string feeling too loose with a reverse inline headstock, you could take any inline headstock guitar with the same scale length as your custom design and try stringing both the lowest & highest strings with the same gage & tuning as the lowest string intended on your custom.

If the string with the long distance from nut to tuning machine feels significantly looser than the one with the short distance to tuning machine, then you may want to reconsider your design. However I'd be very surprised if you found this to be the case. Much more likely is that you would be able to confirm to yourself that the difference in feel is so subtle that you'd barely notice it, if at all - and you can windmill to your hearts content!

As Rick pointed out earlier in the thread, this issue is covered in great detail in this other thread: Reverse Headstock Misconception
Unread 05-10-2007, 03:38 AM   #23
prototyping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongpil Yun View Post
The most metal headstock is made out of the bones of your fallen enemies.
that totally conjured up an image in my mind of your 'enemies' being a hoard of Terminator androids that you single-handedly massacre and use their super-strong titanium alloy 'bones' as a trophy headstock...
Unread 05-10-2007, 07:19 AM   #24
:ubersquint:

OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.OzzyC can play Erotomania with his toes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemonic View Post
yeah, i see the logic behind that. is it really that noticeable tho? i've never really tried two guitars that were teh same accept for the headstock.

i know my dean and strat are both the same scale length with the same string guage, yet on my strat, the strings feel tighter, i've yet to figure that one out.

this i gotta agree with this

i still prefer 3+3 or 4+3 tho, easier to tune without turning the wrong tuner
IF the dean has a floyd, (or other floating trem.) the trem will raise a bit when you bend a note and cause other strings to go out of tune. If this doesn't happen on the strat, that would explain the difference in percived tension.

You've got your head down
You've got your eyes closed
You look so pitiful now

Your body encrusted with ash
Breath heavy with toxins
Hair singed and matted
Clothes frayed and burnt

You are left with nothing
OzzyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2007, 08:48 AM   #25
SS Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durero View Post
that totally conjured up an image in my mind of your 'enemies' being a hoard of Terminator androids that you single-handedly massacre and use their super-strong titanium alloy 'bones' as a trophy headstock...
Guitar World: Now, I notice you've got a new guitar. The headstock in particular catches my eye. You used to use a brass nut, but what's this new headstock made of?

YOU: Terminator.

Guitar World: Huh?

YOU: Terminator. It's made out of Terminator.