homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-22-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
Shrederick

Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
NGD - VGS SoulMaster 7 - Evertune bridge (vid inside)

A couple months back, I got an email from the guys at Evertune asking me whether I'd like to give the bridge a shot and review it. Since I'd been very intrigued and wanted to try one out for ages, I obviously agreed.

These bridges require their own routing done, so the way to speed things up a bit was to have the kind folks at VGS guitars send me a new Soulmaster 7, which comes stock with an Evertune bridge.

A wild package appears - VGS hadn't told me the guitar had been shipped yet, so I was actually quite surprised.

Ready for the first run of testing.

Here's a proper "factory" pic, as I forgot I chopped strings off for the demo prior to photographing it this morning. I'll take a few more shots later today, fear not.

Here's the demo vid for the bridge / guitar - I'll post my review and thoughts after this:

Review time. First off the guitar:
- fret work is quite good, and while the set up had the action a tad to high for my personal taste, lowering was quick and easy with no chokes resulting from uneven frets;
- this is supposed to cost 600-something EUR, from what I've been told. Considering the quality and the hardware in question, nothing comes close to it in this price segment, assuming this instrument portrays the norm;
- pickups are bar sized passives, and if I'm to be really picky, the bridge pickup could have a bit more hair to it. I am not particularly fond of having this sort of routes as it makes pickup swaps a bit more fiddly than they should if you don't want a couple craters around the pickups (unless you're using pickups meant for those routes, like the Aluma Deathbars, for instance);
- Acoustically, while obviouly not as refined as my far more upmarket types, she sounds quite pleasant, nice and balanced, with good "snap" to the attack and has a nice resonance to it - another positive mark for the build quality here;

All in all, a lot of guitar for very little money, which is something I am always very glad to find, and even factoring in a pickup swap, it's still likely to be cheaper than the competition for its price bracket, in all fairness.

And now the bridge:
- first off, I'm not easily impressed by gear, especially when people start off with a promise of tuning stability with no tonal compromises - it gives me a bit of that "oh, heavenly choirs and unicorn's horn dust and excalibur rising from the lake at the first chord" marketing vibe;
- thing is, it delivers. Other than the quick examples in the vid, I did everything I could think of to detune the guitar short of setting the guitar on fire or unwinding the tuners all the way. In real life use, it won't detune unless you shove a disgustingly rusty, grime infested string that is bound to get stuck in the nut repeatedly. Even so, it was a 3 cent detune, which is ridiculous;
- I taped the strings together overnight, left the guitar under a very hot spotlight and moved it between temperature extremes, hung the guitar by the strings and waggled it far more frantically than in the vid, chopped FIVE strings off in quick succession, and the thing was in tune anyway;
- tonally, it's very good. Sounds like a good old solid, heavy bridge should, with great attack and resonance;
- there are literally zero noises from the complex mechanics involved in this device, mainly because the damping of said noise is actually a part of the device. Even with the gain dimed to levels I never use, not a "ping" or annoying spring vibrating was heard.

All in all, this is a game changer, and I don't say this lightly. I was afraid of a ton of issues that might make this unit a compromise of sorts and, other than the specific routing required to accommodate it (and that's not really a compromise), there are none. In short, expect a couple Jaden Rose 7's to have this fitted on them and I can't tell you how eager I am to see the 8-string version released so I can do the same to my 8's. Impressive piece of kit!
JPMike, nikt, Wi77iam and 20 others like this.

Buy my album, will you? My store | CDBaby
FredBrum.com
Happily endorsed by Jaden Rose Guitars, Bare Knuckle Pickups, Gruv Gear, Sik Pik Picks, PHD Picks and Spectraflex cables
Fred the Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #2
Ormsby nutter

capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Thanks for the review Fred. I enjoyed Ola's and it's good to read another person's perspective. I didn't realize they were such moderately priced guitars.
capoeiraesp is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
Shrederick

Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.
The sig model Ola is demoing is substantially more expensive due to the price of the TT frets system, but even so the pricing on the VGS stuff is quite affordable, and immense bang for the buck.
WarOfAttrition likes this.

FredBrum.com
Happily endorsed by Jaden Rose Guitars, Bare Knuckle Pickups, Gruv Gear, Sik Pik Picks, PHD Picks and Spectraflex cables
Unread 10-22-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
Totally Random

JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Nice review, Fred. Happy NFGD too!!

Blackmachine?
JPMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
Shrederick

Sure. 10K EUR.

Thanks!
WarOfAttrition and skisgaar like this.

FredBrum.com
Unread 10-22-2012, 06:36 AM   #6
Totally Random

JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Shred View Post
Sure. 10K EUR.

Thanks!
Promise if you're going to sell it, I will be the first to know?
JPMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 06:39 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

DjentDjentlalala has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
damn,I want to be like Fred when I grow up.
Luke Scicluna likes this.
DjentDjentlalala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
Shrederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMike View Post
Promise if you're going to sell it, I will be the first to know?
Make me an offer I can't refuse. Like 10K EUR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjentDjentlalala View Post
damn,I want to be like Fred when I grow up.
WarOfAttrition likes this.

FredBrum.com
Unread 10-22-2012, 06:55 AM   #9
Lifted By Skin

Mwoit is a glorious beacon of lightMwoit is a glorious beacon of lightMwoit is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Looks great man!

Got any more pictures that you snapped? That single picture you've put up isn't enough!
Mwoit is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #10
Shrederick

Read the text there and you'll understand why the others aren't up yet! Haha!
Mwoit likes this.

FredBrum.com
Unread 10-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #11
Hairy Old Bloke

hairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:

GADZOOKS AND ODDS BODKINS!!!!!
Not a hipster: Blackmachine, Jaden Rose, Paul Reed Smith, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson, Gibson, Boss, Diezel, Marshall, Framus, VHT, Ampeg, Electro Harmonix, Korg, Alesis, MFB, Doepfer, Moog, Arturia.
hairychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #12
SS.org Regular

Lothar is a name known to allLothar is a name known to allLothar is a name known to allLothar is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Fred - what kind of string gauges would fit in that bridge? Like .74 to Drop G?
Lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #13
Shrederick

There's massive room to pass the strings through, so I'd guess that would be fine.

FredBrum.com
Unread 10-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #14
SS.org Regular

Lothar is a name known to allLothar is a name known to allLothar is a name known to allLothar is a name known to all
That makes it interesting. No need to get a ERG (27-28") when this guitar will not detune.
I have to make a recon, where and for how much I can get this VGS.

And it's impossible to make bends on this bridge, right?
Unread 10-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #15
Shrederick

See the vid? I'm doing 2 step bends on it.

FredBrum.com
Unread 10-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #16
SS.org Regular

derp.
Unread 10-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #17
Shrederick

You probably got that impression after seeing some mechanics demonstration videos showing you can set the tuner to allow for immense tolerance before the pitch changes, but I don't usually use it that way, to be honest.

FredBrum.com
Unread 10-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #18
SS.org Regular

Great, I hope to test this bridge ASAP.
Unread 10-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #19
Shrederick

So far there aren't many production axes with these that I know of, so I'd say your best bet would be to find a VGS dealer that carries the EverTune fitted lines. They have quite a variety of models with these, so I'd suppose it wouldn't be too hard.

FredBrum.com
Unread 10-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #20
the newbie..?

Kozuki is headed in the right direction.
Oh man this one is great, and especially for the price it delivers! Just imagine that with some high-end pickups! I wish I could get one, but there are no dealers around my place within like 400km or something like that
Kozuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #21
Comfortably Dumb

Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This actually looks like an interesting technology!
Loomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #22
ss.org guy

Captain Axx is a jewel in the rough
Quote:

i don't have 10K EUR, however i do have hugs, and a lot of them.

man, what a great price too, i think i'll have to save up!

"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."
Captain Axx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #23
Shrederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozuki View Post
Oh man this one is great, and especially for the price it delivers! Just imagine that with some high-end pickups! I wish I could get one, but there are no dealers around my place within like 400km or something like that
That's the plan, yes.

FredBrum.com
Unread 10-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #24
SS.org Regular

jvms will become famous soon enough
Do you have any info on the trem model? will there be a 7 string one?
jvms is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #25
Shrederick

Trem model? As far as I know, no trem model has been announced yet.

FredBrum.com