homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

thelostfrost is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NGD (kind of) Schecter SLS c-7 Thorough Review

First thread on the website!

Scale - 26.5. Because I've never played on a scale this long, and that this was my first seven, this took some getting used to. My fingers were super weak and the tension was noticeably higher than some of the other comparative ibanez models that I've played at the store. What I understood was that the extra inch allows for better flexibility when tuning down. I'm a big fan of deftones, chevelle, breaking benjamin, the acacia strain, etc and they all tune pretty low. I figured that I should just man up and build the finger strength. After about two weeks of practicing I now feel that it's worth it. Crazy lead work is still tough but the rhythm sounds are very beefy.

Fingerboard feels great, always liked ebony. Stays in tune very well. Action is low and very comfortable. With the blackouts, the overall sound of the guitar is fairly dark, but it's pretty much a rock/metal guitar, you won't get the shimmery bright cleans of a strat which is to be expected. That being said, the cleans are surprisingly good considering the ultra-high output of the blackouts. I often find myself toying around with the clean channel and some reverb, sounds very nice with both pickups engaged though I prefer the neck pickup for clean.
Distortion sounds really great. I put on the ernie ball 8 string set strings w/o the 74, so it goes 10-13-17-30-42-54-64. The pickups are much warmer than emgs and that goes without saying. Response to pick attack is good, and paired with the bigger strings if you pick really hard the distortion sounds best for the rock/metal rhythm tones. Roll back the volume to about 6 or 7, and the distortion shines when doing quieter chords and note intervals. Still super responsive to pick attack so it will scream if you pick really hard but purr if you use some restraint w/ the pick.
The neck is thin and the satin on the back of the neck is a great touch. The lack of sticky paint was definitely one of the selling points for me. When standing up, the guitar may be a tinyy bit neck heavy depending on how low you hold it but nothing like the ibanez models (xpt707, ict700). The body is slimmer than previous schecters but still dense enough for thick tones. It's fairly light, but don't compare it to those super-tiny jacksons or ibanez's, it is a 7 string and needs the wood for tone. They did a good job of keeping enough wood on the guitar to keep the tone thick while keeping it as sleek as possible.

I see many questions about "djent" tones on the boards and I have to say I really, really like the new periphery album. Try to keep in mind that so much of the tone is in the hands. From what I understand Misha uses a tiny little pick since he doesn't do a whole lot of alternate picking, so he has to really crank the sh*t out of the bottom four strings for those chugging parts. He also doesn't use super huge strings or tons of gain.

Pictures coming shortly, possibly some recorded parts if people really care. The guitar is what it is, fans of prog metal, deathcore, and just tuning low are undoubtedly going to like this guitar.
AkiraSpectrum, chopeth and Zado like this.
thelostfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
Jiggywiggy

myrtorp is a jewel in the rough
HNGD!

I for sure wouldn't mind some recordings!

Enjoy your new guitar! I've been wanting to try one of those!
myrtorp is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Panacea224 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
HNGD! I tried one of these out at the local guitar center and I liked it, especially the thin neck and body.
Panacea224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

TheFashel12 can only hope to improve
does the satin finished neck become shiny/glossy and sticky after a while ?
TheFashel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

GXPO is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
^All satin finishes will eventually.

HNGD dude. Any pics?
AkiraSpectrum likes this.
GXPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
ss.org Regular

chubby-ol-gangster-core is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostfrost View Post
First thread on the website!

I see many questions about "djent" tones on the boards and I have to say I really, really like the new periphery album. Try to keep in mind that so much of the tone is in the hands. From what I understand Misha uses a tiny little pick since he doesn't do a whole lot of alternate picking, so he has to really crank the sh*t out of the bottom four strings for those chugging parts. He also doesn't use super huge strings or tons of gain.

Pictures coming shortly, possibly some recorded parts if people really care. The guitar is what it is, fans of prog metal, deathcore, and just tuning low are undoubtedly going to like this guitar.
despite how periphery says they don't use gain, they actually do, but not as much from the amp, as they use boost and a compressor patches in axe-fx, with a gate between them and after to keeo feedback controlled. but the tiny picks you mention misha using actually make economy picking easier as mish does use it along with accenting notes in poly rhythmic patterns. Also the chugs sound "djent" not from how hard you pick but from picking/muting further from the bridge.
chubby-ol-gangster-core is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
ss.org Regular

Dizz is a jewel in the rough
I've been giving serious consideration to getting one of these (or an Ibanez RGD2127 / 7421), but don't care too much for the Duncan Blackouts. Anyone have suggestions for passives that will drop-in replace those?
Dizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby-ol-gangster-core View Post
despite how periphery says they don't use gain, they actually do, but not as much from the amp, as they use boost and a compressor patches in axe-fx, with a gate between them and after to keeo feedback controlled. but the tiny picks you mention misha using actually make economy picking easier as mish does use it along with accenting notes in poly rhythmic patterns. Also the chugs sound "djent" not from how hard you pick but from picking/muting further from the bridge.
I didn't say they don't use gain, I said he doesn't use tons of gain. He still uses high gain heads, or used to before the axe fx.
Unread 08-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizz View Post
I've been giving serious consideration to getting one of these (or an Ibanez RGD2127 / 7421), but don't care too much for the Duncan Blackouts. Anyone have suggestions for passives that will drop-in replace those?
They have the exact same model with passive pickups. I personally love seymour duncans. Many people using sevens have been using the john petrucci designed dimarzio crunchlab and liquifire set. The set in the other guitar is a sd fullshred and jazz.
Unread 08-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
ss.org Regular

Quote:
They have the exact same model with passive pickups. I personally love seymour duncans. Many people using sevens have been using the john petrucci designed dimarzio crunchlab and liquifire set. The set in the other guitar is a sd fullshred and jazz.
Thanks man. I don't hate the Duncans or anything, I'd just prefer something else if anything exists that can replace 'em in that guitar without routing or anything. Oh, and the passives model is cool, but I was hoping/wanting to avoid pickup rings. I like the direct mount approach aesthetically.
Unread 08-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
Okay douche here you go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0117.jpg (407.1 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0118.jpg (397.9 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0119.jpg (265.6 KB, 94 views)
Unread 08-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Quote:
Okay douche here you go

Just poking a little fun, no need to get so bent out of shape.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 08-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #14
a very bad old bear

no_dice is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Okay douche here you go
Haha, perhaps insulting the mods (or anyone really) isn't the best way to establish yourself around here.

For real, though, that is a sweet looking guitar. If it had dot inlays and a bit longer scale, I'd be all over one of those. HNGD!
MetalBuddah likes this.
no_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #15
mcd
stuff and thangs

mcd is a glorious beacon of lightmcd is a glorious beacon of lightmcd is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
nice axe HNGD, that color is sick
mcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
I'm running, damnit!

Forrest_H is just really niceForrest_H is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_dice View Post
Haha, perhaps insulting the mods (or anyone really) isn't the best way to establish yourself around here. !
I was thinking the same thing

Beautiful guitar, love Schecter.
MetalBuddah likes this.
Forrest_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #17
ss.org Regular

What's the weight of this guitar?
Unread 08-15-2012, 01:37 AM   #18
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest_H View Post
I was thinking the same thing

Beautiful guitar, love Schecter.
I appreciate that the post has had some decent traffic.

The idea of a "thorough" review means putting some time and some thought into the thread, and giving people who are seriously considering the guitar a better idea of what it entails. Some of the people who make posts or reviews - LOLZ SOUNDZ GRAET! I LUV THIS GUITAR AND ESPESHIALLY KORN doesn't seem to do any good for anyone with half a brain. I know when I was younger and didn't know what I do today about guitars, the lack of specificity was always frustrating. Therefore, saying my thread is useless is douchey.

By the way - what does "establishing" oneself on a guitar forum hold? I mean we're all guitarists but this isn't a job network, what, I have to be nice or face the wrath of a bunch of chubby men furiously condemning my words on a keyboard?
Unread 08-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #19
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
The idea of a "thorough" review means putting some time and some thought into the thread, and giving people who are seriously considering the guitar a better idea of what it entails. Some of the people who make posts or reviews - LOLZ SOUNDZ GRAET! I LUV THIS GUITAR AND ESPESHIALLY KORN doesn't seem to do any good for anyone with half a brain. I know when I was younger and didn't know what I do today about guitars, the lack of specificity was always frustrating. Therefore, saying my thread is useless is douchey.
Without proof of ownership, as in pics, for all we know you're talking out of your ass. Believe it or not, some people aren't honest on the internet. Crazy right?

You said pics were coming and I called you on it. Not a big deal, though I guess it is a big enough of a deal for you to start name calling over my perceived devaluing of the amazing two paragraphs you so blessed this forum with.

Quote:
By the way - what does "establishing" oneself on a guitar forum hold? I mean we're all guitarists but this isn't a job network, what, I have to be nice or face the wrath of a bunch of chubby men furiously condemning my words on a keyboard?
This is a community, and it's nice when everyone can be chill and not so ready to hurl insults left and right. You're new here and whether you care or not, I'm guessing "not" after that last sentence , no one knows if you're a dick or not. Just like the real world, being a dick here isn't appreciated.

No one has "condemned" you. Chill out bud.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 08-15-2012, 02:27 AM   #20
DESU METARU!

kamello is just really nicekamello is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizz View Post
Im in the same Doubt

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAX, HELP!

If I bought a 7421, I would have to spend a bit on pickups, and probably repaint it, I ....ing hate plain black

and the Shecter is playable right-out the box (altough I would take the Passive version), but quality-wise how do they compare?

sorry for the Off Topic, but HNGD, the guitars looks sick, and is Blue, Blue and Purple guitars are always better.
also, take it easy dude, no one is angry with you

-
I love how when someone says they're playing in E, or B on this forum you really have no idea what octave they're talking about lol -Mintberrycrunch ....(・ω・`) ....
---
Music & Shit
http://www.youtube.com/user/wallytalivan
http://soundcloud.com/kamello-chm
kamello is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 06:33 AM   #21
\m not jesus land m/

CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wow. I can see the headlines:

"OP SHITS ON OWN THREAD - WORLD FIRST"

Whoever said "the best things in life are free" hasn't played an 80's RG" - TheSixthWheel
CrushingAnvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #22
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
Without proof of ownership, as in pics, for all we know you're talking out of your ass. Believe it or not, some people aren't honest on the internet. Crazy right?

You said pics were coming and I called you on it. Not a big deal, though I guess it is a big enough of a deal for you to start name calling over my perceived devaluing of the amazing two paragraphs you so blessed this forum with.

This is a community, and it's nice when everyone can be chill and not so ready to hurl insults left and right. You're new here and whether you care or not, I'm guessing "not" after that last sentence , no one knows if you're a dick or not. Just like the real world, being a dick here isn't appreciated.

No one has "condemned" you. Chill out bud.

Yeah. I was in a bad mood last night. You make good points and you're right, sorry guys..I have one more pic to upload. Now I feel like a huge ass haha.
CrushingAnvil likes this.
Unread 08-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #23
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

It's all good man, it happens. It's in the past.
thelostfrost likes this.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 08-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #24
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamello View Post
Im in the same Doubt

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAX, HELP!

If I bought a 7421, I would have to spend a bit on pickups, and probably repaint it, I ....ing hate plain black

and the Shecter is playable right-out the box (altough I would take the Passive version), but quality-wise how do they compare?

sorry for the Off Topic, but HNGD, the guitars looks sick, and is Blue, Blue and Purple guitars are always better.
also, take it easy dude, no one is angry with you

Hey man,

Quality wise, I think you're looking at a fairly big difference but I think it's also the luck of the draw. For the most part, the 7421/7321 have been decent in terms of playability but they always feel very...cheap. The neck, the woods, the hardware...I mean with schecter the company isn't a godsend but the appeal and more recent success I would say is listening to what the consumers want and applying the features while keeping costs low. The guitar was playable out of the box but that was because I ordered from an online retailer and was specific about how bad my last experience was with zzounds, and sweetwater has this 55 point inspection that they do to make sure the guitar doesn't arrive with broken parts, loose knobs, etc.

I used to try to go the route of - cheap guitar + upgrades. it didn't work out the way I wanted to in nearly every case. Go ahead and save a little more and try to get better features, sadly you get what you pay for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0120.jpg (257.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0121.jpg (275.2 KB, 46 views)
Unread 08-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #25
DESU METARU!

kamello is just really nicekamello is just really nice
thanks man, I just though that the RGD was cheaper 'cause of the cheap features (meh pickups, no tops, and fixed bridge) but quality-wise they were similar

anyways, I will try to find one to test here but probably I would just end up buying blindly, no one imports thoose models , and atleast they are very easy to resell

-
I love how when someone says they're playing in E, or B on this forum you really have no idea what octave they're talking about lol -Mintberrycrunch ....(・ω・`) ....
---
Music & Shit
http://www.youtube.com/user/wallytalivan
http://soundcloud.com/kamello-chm
kamello is online now   Reply With Quote