homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

Eimanatox will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Unusual Tuning Question

Hello all! I am fairly new to this forum, I've been lurking for a while, but haven't posted yet. Anyway, I have been playing a 7 string now for about a year or so, after having played 6 strings for 10+ years. I currently play in a band with another 6 string guitarist. He uses a 6 string, tuned to Drop A#. I want to use my 7 string, but I'm looking for another alternative to just tuning it up half a step into A#. I was thinking of tuning the 1st 6 to A#, then having a low G or perhaps an F on the bottom end. I was wondering if anyone here could give me some good advice for a tuning to use to complement his A# tuning. Also, I would like some input on string gauge choices for such a low tuning. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Eimanatox is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
ss.org Regular

kowoolo is a jewel in the rough
You might try to use a low F, that would be something like a double drop tuning (F A# F A# D# G C). This would require a massive string and might probably lead to intonation issues, depending on the scale of your 7string guitar.
I once tuned my RG7321 (25.5 scale) to F standard with a GHS .090 string for the low F and could'nt get the intonation right without further modification... Tone and tension weren't perfect either, but it was manageable if you didn't play higher than 12th fret.
kowoolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
Baritone Funbags

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
^ Yep that's my only suggestion if you want to try this.
I have great experience with Circle K strings. I was able to get an 86 intonated at F# on 25.5", and an 166 intonated at F# on 35" - contrary to my experience with D'addario strings which wouldn't intonate a 70 or a 145 despite being significantly smaller gauge.
Circle K are also cheap as hell compared, if you are looking for custom gauges or thick singles. Otherwise, a D'addario 80 might do you.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
ss.org Regular

Eimanatox will become famous soon enough
Thank you both, I am using a RG7321, and I'm probably gonna go with a G. (just for the sake of intonation issues.)
Eimanatox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

breadtruck is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you do tune the lowest string to G, I think the band Structures use that tuning too (low to high, G, A#, F, A#, D#, G, C)

It's not a very conventional tuning but they seem to write some pretty interesting riffs, so maybe give that a go?
breadtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

knuckle_head is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eimanatox View Post
Hello all! I am fairly new to this forum, I've been lurking for a while, but haven't posted yet. Anyway, I have been playing a 7 string now for about a year or so, after having played 6 strings for 10+ years. I currently play in a band with another 6 string guitarist. He uses a 6 string, tuned to Drop A#. I want to use my 7 string, but I'm looking for another alternative to just tuning it up half a step into A#. I was thinking of tuning the 1st 6 to A#, then having a low G or perhaps an F on the bottom end. I was wondering if anyone here could give me some good advice for a tuning to use to complement his A# tuning. Also, I would like some input on string gauge choices for such a low tuning. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
F or D#/Eb below - gauge is dependent on your scale length and what you use now that is working.

Choosing the path less traveled means more than occasionally you walk alone.
- author unknown
I make Knuckle Guitar Works basses
I make Circle K strings
knuckle_head is offline   Reply With Quote