homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Stealthdjentstic
  • 1 Post By Don Vito

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-10-2012, 03:20 AM   #1
The Smurfslayer

The Logician is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Carvin Dilemma - Should it stay or should it go?

Hello, Forum --

I am a 16 year-old guitarist from Portland, OR, and I've recently gotten into seven-string guitars (I know I may seem young and noobish, but I get by). Anyway, I bought a Carvin DC727 a few months ago for about $925 (before shipping).

Here are the things I like about the guitar:
-The finish is flawless (the color combo is gaudy, but I like it that way).
-The neck, while cumbersome at first, became comfortable quite quickly.
-It's not heavy at all!

However, I have some issues:
-The 25.5-inch scale length doesn't cut it for the low string... I like my strings to be taut with low action so I can play them like a piano.
-The controls are irritating -- the guitar came with two coil-splitting switches, but they are too close to the pickup selector, and that makes it very difficult to switch to my neck pup in a pinch.
-The pups aren't very good... I can't seem to find a rhythm sounds with enough clarity.
-I don't love the independent-saddle bridge. I'm having a lot of trouble finding that sweet spot with the action (when it plays just right, it buzzes). I had a luthier check it out, but he didn't help.

Overall, it's not as lovely to play as my other guitars [Carvin CT624 & Rally Blue Harlem (killer Korean-made Jazz Box!)]

In addition, I recently ran into this beauty:
Agile Intrepid Pro Dual 72728 EB CA Oceanburst DOT B Stock - RondoMusic.com

I already have a disposition toward Korean builds, and I don't mind that this guitar has a finish flaw, as long as that's the only reason it's B-stock. Does anyone have input as to whether I should replace my Carvin? My budget is currently about a grand *without selling the DC727. Feel free to suggest other replacements... long scales and fanned frets are plusses in my book!
The Logician is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-10-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
The agile will be worse in terms of quality. What I would do is buy new pickups and get some thicker strings! The ones Circle K makes are supposedly amazing, like they feel tight without the drawbacks of heavy gauge strings.

Oh and
Don Vito likes this.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 04:07 AM   #3
cobra demon

Don Vito is a splendid one to beholdDon Vito is a splendid one to beholdDon Vito is a splendid one to beholdDon Vito is a splendid one to beholdDon Vito is a splendid one to behold
You could sell it and order another Carvin directly for just a little more with your personal specs.

Idk what to tell you about the scale length though. Like stic said, try thicker strings.

Chris Broderick plays that almost Piano like stuff on his 25.5 guitars.

Edit: didn't read where you said you had a grand to spend. If you sale your current guitar along with your current budget, you could get something REALLY nice from either Carvin or a few other companies. And I would skip the Agile personally.
otisct20 likes this.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
Parker Fanatic

Speedy Fingers is just really niceSpeedy Fingers is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I just put some D-Activators in my 727 and it honestly sounds like a new guitar. Loads of punch, clarity, tightness, and the neck pup is very smooth too. Definitely consider swapping out your pickups, I hated the stock ones too.

www.facebook.com/asenseofgravity
Guitars: '97 Parker Fly Deluxe, '98 Parker Fly Classic & Carvin DC727 w/ D-Activators.
Amplification: Mesa Boogie DC-5, Axe FX Ultra, Mesa Boogie Vertical 2x12.
Effects: Ernie Ball VP Jr, TC Electronic Polytune, Dunlop 535Q, Xotic BB+, BB MB, AC Booster, RC Booster, TC Electronic Flashback & Corona Chorus, Boss RV-5, MXR Carbon Copy, Boss NS-2.
Speedy Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Aliens

Erazoender is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Well I'd highly recommend staying away from the Agile; they're not bad but they're certainly not quality instruments.

-The 25.5-inch scale length doesn't cut it for the low string... I like my strings to be taut with low action so I can play them like a piano.
--> What tuning are you using? In standard you should be fine with slightly heavier strings, even in D standard you could get away with a 25.5" neck.

-The controls are irritating -- the guitar came with two coil-splitting switches, but they are too close to the pickup selector, and that makes it very difficult to switch to my neck pup in a pinch.
--> Fair enough but I don't really see how they get in the way of the pickup switch.. to each their own I guess.

-The pups aren't very good... I can't seem to find a rhythm sounds with enough clarity.
--> Most people swap them out for something else; I personally swapped them out for BKPs and it sounds pretty damn good!

-I don't love the independent-saddle bridge. I'm having a lot of trouble finding that sweet spot with the action (when it plays just right, it buzzes). I had a luthier check it out, but he didn't help.
--> If you changed the tuning from standard, you'll probably need a new nut. I don't see how the saddle would be hard to adjust though as they are far easier to work with than tune-o's =3

Alternatively you could save up for the Carvin 8 string because it has a 27" scale length and everyone and their mothers have been raving about them.

Best of luck!
Erazoender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
Nothing to see here

-42- is a name known to all-42- is a name known to all-42- is a name known to all-42- is a name known to all
Get thicker strings, a professional setup, new pickups, and rewire and relocate the switches. A little work can go a long way.
-42- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
aint no gahdam woman

nostealbucket is just really nicenostealbucket is just really nice
Get thicker strings, new pickups, and a good set up. You wont regret it.
Or just get a blackmachine.
nostealbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you don't like it, sell it. Thicker strings will alleviate one problem, you will need to route some to install new pickups though. Sometimes you can end up pouring a lot of cash into a guitar, only to have it wasted as it would not come around for you. As far as setups go, if you don't know how to do them, learn, quickly. The stuff is dead simple.

Unless the resale on carvins has greatly improved I fear you paid a bit much for a used on though. Agiles are going to be a much cheaper instrument though. Carvins are decent pieces.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
djingle my djenitals

LetsMosey is a name known to allLetsMosey is a name known to allLetsMosey is a name known to allLetsMosey is a name known to all
Did you buy it directly from Carvin? If so, send it back to them (if you're still within your 10-day return policy) and tell them you want the same build, but without the coil splitters.)

Most of the reasons you mentioned you don't like the guitar isn't Carvin's fault. And overall, the quality is far better than any Agile you will ever touch. Believe me. If you can live with the 25.5" scale, all of the other stuff can be swapped out (such as remove the splitters, swap out the bridge, swap out the pickups, etc.)
LetsMosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #10
The Smurfslayer

The Logician is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input, all! I'll put a bit more love into the Carvin. I've been worried about going to a higher gauge, but I suppose trying something new is a bit more rational than buying a new guitar
The Logician is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
Go meat!

littledoc is a glorious beacon of lightlittledoc is a glorious beacon of lightlittledoc is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You could try a light top/heavy bottom string set (just search any online store, there are lots of them) to improve the tension on the low string.

Also, no matter what the guitar, you have to make the tradeoff between higher action and some fret buzz, especially if you have an aggressive pick attack. A little bit of buzzing with low action is perfectly normal and not anything to sweat, especially on that low B. It won't affect what's coming out of your amp unless it's pretty harsh. Although again, higher string tension might reduce this issue a bit.
littledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
Ermahgerd!

rgaRyan is a jewel in the rough
When I order my Carvin (a few years from now), I'll be putting heavier strings on and BKP's in it.

Stock pups and strings are never really good. Try new pups and strings and see what you think then.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic39505_3.gif
My YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/RyanEnvy

Bands covered include Textures, Scale the Summit, KSE,
Red Seas Fire, August Burns Red, The Contortionist, As I Lay Dying, etc.
rgaRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #13
Sleep on, Fly on

GSingleton is just really niceGSingleton is just really nice
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
DAT AGILE PLEASE!!!!

Also, I second/third/fourth new pups and bigger strings before selling it for something like an agile even though I love mine.

Music Facebook: www.facebook.com/grsingleton
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/gsingleton

Me:You could djent using a toothpick and aluminum foil.
Michael T: Aluminum + Djent = Alumidjent
Didn't Lace already do this....hmmmm
GSingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

Zerox8610 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Oregon!! WOO!!!

I'd stick with the carvin. Get thicker strings if your tension sucks!

To the almighty one, unholy bearer of horns, empower me, flow through my veins, and carry me in war.
To the unwavering, devoted to the dark, I drink these wines of majesty to you
Zerox8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #15
SS.org Regular

iloki is just really niceiloki is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I use la bella HRS strings and have been really happy with them. They have sets that are heavy bottom/light top (which is what I use) all of the wound strings are heavier, but the top 3 are standard 10's. I think on my schecter atm I'm using a 10-70 set from them.. though the 70 really is overkill lol.. I have a .64 on my jp7 and my RG7420 that feel pretty nice. The jp is half step down and the RG is in standard atm.
iloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

MrHelloGuitar is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloki View Post
I use la bella HRS strings and have been really happy with them. They have sets that are heavy bottom/light top (which is what I use) all of the wound strings are heavier, but the top 3 are standard 10's. I think on my schecter atm I'm using a 10-70 set from them.. though the 70 really is overkill lol.. I have a .64 on my jp7 and my RG7420 that feel pretty nice. The jp is half step down and the RG is in standard atm.
You've got quite an arm there, sir! haha

OT: to further add to what has already been said, my buddy had similar issues. He threw some BKP aftermaths in thereand it sounded WAY BETTER than how it sounded before.

He's using 10-56 strings in standard tuning.

Hope this helps!
MrHelloGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #17
Teh 7 djentahh

NUTSguitarchannel is a jewel in the rough
sell the guitar and buy a strictly 7 us/uk passive

"Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny."
-
Frank Zappa

''Baritone is the way to got.''
-
rgk7
NUTSguitarchannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #18
ss.org Regular

Cyanide_one is on a distinguished road
Can't wait to put dmarzios in my dc727 after my economics finals. stock bridge pickup really does lack clarity and punch. IMO neck p.u is fine
Cyanide_one is offline   Reply With Quote