homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-15-2005, 08:10 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

shoemaker27 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Choose between EMG 81 and Dimarzio Evolution

Hi, Im going to replace my bridge pickup, I want to know about your opinions !!
My band plays music like staind, nickelback, seether, with powerfull overdriven sounds, wich one is the best choice emg 81 or evolution?

Thanks all, and please post your comments!!!
shoemaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-15-2005, 08:39 PM   #2
Lord Super Awesome

Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
It all depends if you wanna go with Active or Passive electronics. Mixing the two doesn't wield very good results.
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2005, 08:57 PM   #3
Divinitus Infallibilis
Site Contributor

Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My vote is always for the passives...In a nutshell, passive pickup , IMO give you more "control" over your sound..

Born of Fire//--\\ Consumed by it
Divinitus Infallibilis

Digital Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2005, 06:08 AM   #4
bringer of mosh

No Soul has a spectacular aura about
Well which one do you like better? Theres no right or wrong answer here.

I own several electric guitars, and only one of them has EMGs. Of all the different pickups Ive had though, I couldnt live without at least 1 guitar loaded with EMGs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth000
My vote is always for the passives...In a nutshell, passive pickup , IMO give you more "control" over your sound..
How do you figure Sephi? Most folks biggest complaint with EMGs is that they make your sound very sterile, which is becaused its a rather controled sound via the onboard preamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon
It all depends if you wanna go with Active or Passive electronics. Mixing the two doesn't wield very good results.
Thats not true at all.
It depends on how you use them and how they are set up. There is no reason you cant mix the two.
No Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2005, 08:10 AM   #5
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
in the same guitar? I Dunno, i think thats just foolish. With such a huge difference in output, it'd be crazy.

If you list your gear in your signature, you're a prick.
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2005, 08:15 AM   #6
ss.org Regular

Revolution777 will become famous soon enough
I've been told that EMG has ways of making it possible to get both active and passive pups in a guitar without one over-powering the other.
I don't know if it's totally true but that's what I heard.
Revolution777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2005, 09:29 AM   #7
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Yeah, they sell a preamp you can add to get your passives up to match your actives... Which sorta defeats the purpose of having passives, doesn't it?

I'll just say that, with the bands you're mentioning, you're probably better off with a passive, as none of those guys use actives (to the best of my knowledge) and use typically mid-high output passives.

Additionally, I'll add that you're probably better off going for something other than an Evo7, as that's a very focused, "screaming" passive that alledgedly sounds a bit like an EMG, and that maybe a Tone Zone 7 would be your best bet, as it's a very raw, thick sounding pickup that works well with slightly scooped "modern" distortion sounds.

What sort of guitar is this going in?

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2005, 01:47 PM   #8
ss.org Regular

shoemaker27 is on a distinguished road
Its for an Ibanez 7420, and the music I play with my band is like staind, nickelback, seether, with powerfull overdriven sounds.

thanks for the help!!
shoemaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2005, 01:53 PM   #9
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
You know, personally I don't care for the TZ7 in mahogany, but for grinding, low-string riffage, it did pretty much own... in a 2027, that and a Mesa Rocket-44 (think Mark-IV on a budget) was a dead ringer for Godsmack-type stuff...

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

Unread 06-16-2005, 01:53 PM   #10
Lord Super Awesome

Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Soul
Thats not true at all.
It depends on how you use them and how they are set up. There is no reason you cant mix the two.
Well, I've tried it & wasn't impressed. That's all I'm saying. Speaking ONLY FOR ME <I guess I have to put in this disclaimer> , I would go with one or the other.
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2005, 09:32 PM   #11
bringer of mosh

You dont have to buy the booster for the passive pickup to mix the two. Consider that it is popular to have a high output pickup at the bridge and a low output pickup on the neck. Now consider the fact that depending on your pickup you have to adjust the height to adjust for tone and dynamics and what not. Also consider the fact that usually you have to lower your neck pickup a lot more because for one, string vibration is a lot stronger in that area. What Im getting at is that doing a hot active in the bridge and passive in the neck isnt that hard to ballance out. I actually dont prefer it all, but its not much harder to set up than a passive hot pickup in the bridge and a low output passive in the neck.

And I agree with Drew, for the bands you describe, I would consider other pickups.
Unread 06-17-2005, 09:14 AM   #12
Fear the Polo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Soul
And I agree with Drew, for the bands you describe, I would consider other pickups.
...says a guy who loves EMG's. I feel so validated.

Unread 06-17-2005, 10:13 AM   #13
SS Contributor

7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/7StringofAblicK is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Drew, if you ever do that face again I'll dub you false...
7StringofAblicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2005, 04:53 PM   #14
dpm
Oni Guitars

dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
To run EMG and passives on the same guitar you need at least seperate pots, so a 25k vol (& tone) for the EMG and 500k for the passive. You'll then be able to have either pickup on without issues, but not both.
Otherwise you can put the passive through an EMG preamp, such as the PA2 or SPC.
I currently have an 81-7 in the bridge pos of my UV and a Blaze in the neck through an SPC, which lets me boost the mids a bit.
Some pickups sound like shit through the PA2, the Blaze bridge gets an icepick attack because of the lack of capacitance in the circuit. Adding a 300-500pf (off the top of my head) cap in parallel to the hot and earth of the passive would emulate the typical capacitance of a guitars circuit.
So it can be done, I do it, but it's not really ideal. I'm just avoiding buying pickups so I can sink all my money into the 8-string

I have to agree with No Soul and Drew re. pickup choice. You might want to look at more 'classic' sounding pickups for what you want to do, the Evo and 81 are very 'distinctive', for want of a better word.
dpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2005, 06:08 AM   #15
bringer of mosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Ha, well you gotta consider the kinda music I usually play. Im the first to admit that EMGs arent incredibly versatile, but hardcore and death metal dont usually require a wide variety of sounds.

Im actually starting a more just straight up rock oriented band, in which Im picking up a Les Paul for which will probably get loaded up with some really old school alnico pickups.
Unread 06-19-2005, 01:27 PM   #16
Fear the Polo!

True, I suppose I may have oversimplified a bit...

I don't think I've ever played a seven loaded with EMG's. I doubt they'll really be for me (I love clear sounds, but while EMG's are alledgedly pretty clear, I tend to go for fairly low gain stuff, which would be tough), but I'm kinda curious.

-D

Unread 06-19-2005, 02:23 PM   #17

Donnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I use to be a hardcore EMG freak. There was a time when I had 15 guitars all loaded with EMGs. All the way from 707s to SAs(or whatever the singles are). I even did the unthinkable and put EMGs in my Jem.(You wouldn't believe the scolding I got for that F-ing Jem purists )A couple of years ago I bought an RG1527 and didn't want to route it for the 707s so I just bought a Blaze Custom for it and my perception changed. Even the EMG in my 9 string is starting to piss me off but I can't find a passive pickup that'll work in it.

Bad Mother....a of the Classifieds
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote