homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

ALMoDrummer is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EBMM JP7 Troubleshoot

Hey all,

So I recently picked up an old school EBMM JP7 off of a friend. I swapped it out for the Crunchlab / Liquifire combo and am loving the feel of the guitar...however the sound isn't what I thought it would be.

I also have an Ibanez Prestige 7 and it sounds ballsy and has a lot of cut and attack. The JP, not as much. The strings sound weak when I pick them...and I pick VERY hard. I have brand new D'addario strings on them and the new Crunchlab / Liquifire on them, so I know it's not those. I can't figure out why it doesn't sound like what it should. Help?
ALMoDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

ItWillDo is a jewel in the rough
Have you swapped the pick-ups yourself? If yes -> are you certain that the wiring is correct?

Another mistake made often is that people wire the pick-ups into the guitar and screw them all the way in. Did you bring the pick-ups as close to your strings as possible without getting interference?
ItWillDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
Sleep on, Fly on

GSingleton is just really niceGSingleton is just really nice
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I have played a few and honestly, I do not like the sounds I get either.

Check your pups, but at least for me, I do not like how they sound and several people have said the same.

Music Facebook: www.facebook.com/grsingleton
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/gsingleton

Me:You could djent using a toothpick and aluminum foil.
Michael T: Aluminum + Djent = Alumidjent
Didn't Lace already do this....hmmmm
GSingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
dotlike

loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
i recently tried the crunchlab in my JP7 after having the D-sonic in it. i've already thrown out the crunchlab and will be getting something with lower output.

the problem is that with either the D-sonic or the crunchlab the guitar has too much output for most amps. i found out that it works great with modelers or digital amps since there you can adjust the input sensitivity, but not with real tube amps. usually, i circumvent this issue by adjusting the pickup height which directly affects output. since you can't adjust pickup height with the JP7 (at least not with my guitar), you're stuck with a very hot pickup placed really close to the strings.

i'm sure the crunchlab and d-sonic would sound great placed a tad further away from the strings, though.
loktide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
The Abiding Dude

mhickman2 is just really nicemhickman2 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Be sure your wiring and pickup height is correct. The CL/Liquifier combo doesn't have crazy fast attack, but it's certainly good enough for the brootz. It should definitely have plenty of cut and clarity. In my experience, they have always been consistent in their sound and have always been good enough for fast riffage.
mhickman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
no lack of headroom

Mordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMoDrummer View Post
Hey all,

So I recently picked up an old school EBMM JP7 off of a friend. I swapped it out for the Crunchlab / Liquifire combo and am loving the feel of the guitar...however the sound isn't what I thought it would be.

I also have an Ibanez Prestige 7 and it sounds ballsy and has a lot of cut and attack. The JP, not as much. The strings sound weak when I pick them...and I pick VERY hard. I have brand new D'addario strings on them and the new Crunchlab / Liquifire on them, so I know it's not those. I can't figure out why it doesn't sound like what it should. Help?
This sounds like its not wired correctly and the coils are out of phase or are possibly in parallel instead of in series.

The stock switch in a EBMM JP model is a special switch that when wired correctly, will run the South coil of the Liquifire and the North coil of the Crunchlab in parallel for an stratesque sound. However, that makes it difficult to wire for the novice solderer and can easily result in only not having the humbuckers perform the way they are intended to when the series mode of operation is selected for each individual pickup.

Currently in progress of replacing every guitar I have...piece by piece

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Mordacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordacain View Post
This sounds like its not wired correctly and the coils are out of phase or are possibly in parallel instead of in series.

The stock switch in a EBMM JP model is a special switch that when wired correctly, will run the South coil of the Liquifire and the North coil of the Crunchlab in parallel for an stratesque sound. However, that makes it difficult to wire for the novice solderer and can easily result in only not having the humbuckers perform the way they are intended to when the series mode of operation is selected for each individual pickup.
That could be what it was. I had the CL/Liquifire combo put in this guitar by someone who wasn't my usual guitar tech...

But the sound is definitely not the pickups. Like I said, I have the same pickups in (basically) all of my guitars. This is the only one that sounds really whimpy.

How do you set the coils back in phase? I've never messed with pickups really...I figured I'd .... something up.
Unread 06-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhickman2 View Post
Be sure your wiring and pickup height is correct. The CL/Liquifier combo doesn't have crazy fast attack, but it's certainly good enough for the brootz. It should definitely have plenty of cut and clarity. In my experience, they have always been consistent in their sound and have always been good enough for fast riffage.
I did make sure the pickup height is right...I always keep them close to my strings. It must be a wiring thing. There's no reason a 2000 dollar guitar should sound flubby