homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-29-2012, 02:06 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

Dommak89 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Agile - Common Mistakes?

Hi everybody,

I'm currently looking for a 7 string and a while ago I stumbled upon Agile. I fell more in love with it everytime I looked at the pics and specs of the guitars (Interceptor and Septor 727). I was going to get a used one somewhere, but when I scrolled through this forum I noticed that several people were talking about "a 50/50 chance of getting a good quality one". The problem is I live in Germany, I want to buy a used one and now I'm kind of unsure whether I should stick with my initial thought of getting an Agile. Unless I can see the mistakes and judge them from pictures.

Now to my question: Are there any common mistakes that can be named? And what exactly is shit about 50% of them? I mean if it's some paint issues, I wouldn't mind, but judging by the comments I have read that is not the main issue. Any thoughts or help here?

Thanks in advance
Dommak89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-29-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

rcsierra13 is just really nicercsierra13 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The one I received had some glue on the fretboard, which is a pretty common error. The nut was also glued on very shoddily. You can see it here in this shot, right near the nut:

Also I got one from the custom run and was supposed to get a Hipshot copy bridge but for some reason they screwed up (which they do often) and sent one with a TOM bridge.

As you can see it also came with a lot of polishing swirls.

I, like you, loved the way they look and ordered without playing one and to another country (Australia). It came in a bass case which was annoying as it was only a 25.5" and would have fit in a regular case, it arrived safe and sound though.

All in all I was satisfied with mine but ONLY satisfied, not blown away nor stunned nor happy enough to keep it. I just couldn't bond with it as my Ibanez RG7621 had such a slim and comfortable neck and was light as well.

I would suggest going for a secondhand RG7421/RG7621 or if you are after a trem RG7420/RG7620. Outstanding seven strings for what you pay.

Here's a shot of mine:

rcsierra13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It sounds like you're trying to figure out whether you might dodge the bullet or not.

I've never had a problem with any of my Agiles... but I live in the US, and wouldn't have bought any of them new (four new ones total, two 8-strings and two fretless six-strings) if I couldn't return them in case of problems.

Since you've read the topics (or should have), you know that issues range from minor finish problems, to fretwork, to wood issues, to fretwork, to whatever. You might get something perfect, or something easy to fix, or something which you can't.

If it happens to you though, it's 100%. If that happens and it's a complete loss, will you be okay with that? If yes, then go for it.

If you can't afford to possibly toss away the cash, then don't do it.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about." Adam Of Angels

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 02:43 AM   #4
Melodic Mamma Jamma

JStraitiff is a jewel in the rough
I think a common problem with agiles is the fretwork. Ive heard numerous claims of sharp ends and leveling issues. If its just sharp fret ends thats no big deal, just file them up.

JStraitiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 02:53 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

rjnix_0329 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Are you looking to buy in on eBay or something, or can you possibly play the guitar before buying? If at all possible, give it a look/play before buying, and you'll be much more likely to get a quality product.
rjnix_0329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 04:16 AM   #6
SS.org Regular

Thanks for the quick answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsierra13 View Post
I would suggest going for a secondhand RG7421/RG7621 or if you are after a trem RG7420/RG7620. Outstanding seven strings for what you pay.
The only Ibanezes I am interested in are those with a 27" scale neck, and as far as I know, there are only 3 models that have it and they are hard to find. Although I found an offer of a 1077 xl, but I haven't gotten a reply yet. So I am open for alternatives. It's just the price, the looks and the electronics that make the Agiles that interesting for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
If it happens to you though, it's 100%. If that happens and it's a complete loss, will you be okay with that? If yes, then go for it.

If you can't afford to possibly toss away the cash, then don't do it.
yeah I'm a musician, so no, I can't afford it , but thanks for the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjnix_0329 View Post
Are you looking to buy in on eBay or something, or can you possibly play the guitar before buying? If at all possible, give it a look/play before buying, and you'll be much more likely to get a quality product.
No I found someone selling an Interceptor here in the Forum who even lives in Germany, but it's not around the corner, that's why I was asking.
Unread 05-29-2012, 05:07 AM   #7
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyone
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Used you have a much better chance of knowing what's wrong with it--if anything--up front. Less risky than buying new internationally maybe.

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 05:33 AM   #8
SS.org Regular

Pat_tct is a jewel in the rough
Hi Buddy, PM me for my information and experience with Agile. I´m from Germany, too.

Hit me up with any question.
Pat_tct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 05:55 AM   #9
JACKSON!

deathscar has a spectacular aura about
I don't know if this still happens, but when my buddy got his the fretboard dye would rub off on his hands like crazy. He ordered one with "ebony"

Thrash-core?
http://myspace.com/krodhaband

We only had enough money to record the non-experimental songs, so thrash-core it is
deathscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 06:38 AM   #10
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyone
Whoa... What? That's a little weird. I got a guitar from them with an ebony board just last year and the ebony definitely appeared to be real and not dyed. I feel like if they had a dyed board it should have been relatively easy to spot right off the bat. The only other wood they use there remotely close to ebony would be rosewood and even with a dark cut of rosewood, I imagine the grain patter would give it away.

Sounds like someone tried to dye their fretboard aftermarket and used something less than effective.

Unread 05-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konfyouzd View Post
Used you have a much better chance of knowing what's wrong with it--if anything--up front. Less risky than buying new internationally maybe.
That's what I was thinking, too. I think I'll take the risk, if the deal works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konfyouzd View Post
Sounds like someone tried to dye their fretboard aftermarket and used something less than effective.
Thanks. The thought of a dyed fretboard like that kinda terrified me.
Konfyouzd likes this.
Unread 05-29-2012, 06:48 AM   #12
Death Metal™

cwhitey2 is just really nicecwhitey2 is just really nice
Mine had a barely noticable 'clear coat' error. Other than that its a baller axeee

Mesa 2 channel
Basson 4x12

cwhitey2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #13
Dread-I Master

What was the error?

On the custom run I asked for a satin finish, was told no, and then received one with a satin finish. So it seems someone ....ed up along the way and it just happened to be what I wanted anyway...
Dommak89 likes this.

Unread 05-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #14
SS.org Regular

otisct20 will become famous soon enough
Deathscar isn't kidding, same friend of ours. The dye on the board constantly comes off on your fingers and didn't feel quite like ebony.
otisct20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #15
Dread-I Master

Edit: Nevermind. I reread a few posts and answered my own question.

Unread 05-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #16
ss.org Regular

clopstyle is a jewel in the rough
The one I bought, and subsequently returned, had really deep cuts on either side of every fret and a nasty grounding issue with the pickups.

Customer service on the other hand was spot on.
Konfyouzd likes this.
clopstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #17
the:pawn.project

Rap Hat is just really niceRap Hat is just really nice
Like most other import companies who use ebony, Agile dyes it jet black. Naturally jet black ebony is rare and very expensive, pretty much every import is using the brown stuff. Every so often Rondo will have a non-stained B-Stock, and there's at least one person here with a non-dyed ebony Agile.
AxeHappy and crg123 like this.

Check out my soundcloud: Slothful Bong
Rap Hat is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #18
Death Metal™

cwhitey2 is just really nicecwhitey2 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rap Hat View Post
Like most other import companies who use ebony, Agile dyes it jet black. Naturally jet black ebony is rare and very expensive, pretty much every import is using the brown stuff. Every so often Rondo will have a non-stained B-Stock, and there's at least one person here with a non-dyed ebony Agile.
Thats what I have heard, but I clean mine regularly and havent had any of the 'dye' come? Im not saying mine is true jet black ebony, but imo I dont think its superrr cheap stuff either.

Mesa 2 channel
Basson 4x12

cwhitey2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #19
Dread-I Master

That's what I'm saying and I had a DARK ebony board on my Intrepid.

Unread 05-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #20
SS.org Regular

dvon21 has a spectacular aura about
Hmm, I'm slowly becoming skeptical about the Agiles now.. I'm looking to get the Agile Septor Elite 728 because I like the bridge better and it's a neck-thru. What are the differences between the 727 Septor and the 728 other than those two aspects?

But I've also been debating the Ibanez rg927qm, but no one's had any experience with them. Has anybody played the 927qm?

Also - First Post!
dvon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #21
Dread-I Master

27 and 28 are different scale lengths. The 728 will have a slightly larger spacing between the frets and presumably a different tonality to the notes as well.

Unread 05-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #22
the:pawn.project

Rap Hat is just really niceRap Hat is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhitey2 View Post
Thats what I have heard, but I clean mine regularly and havent had any of the 'dye' come? Im not saying mine is true jet black ebony, but imo I dont think its superrr cheap stuff either.
My ebony Agile and PRS SE are both dyed, but I've never had any wear off before either. Brown-colored ebony is definitely not super cheap, afaik there's only one type of ebony that's not brown by default (well, Pale Moon ebony too but that's super light).

I'd personally prefer non-dyed ebony, I like the natural color, but I can't blame companies for doing it. Most people have the impression that ebony's supposed to be jet black, so lighter ebony is a tough sell.

Check out my soundcloud: Slothful Bong
Rap Hat is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #23
Sleep on, Fly on

GSingleton is just really niceGSingleton is just really nice
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I think they are hit and miss in general, but honestly...I got an 8 string, and it amazing! I am highly considering getting another from them. Also, Kurt is good about rectifying problems. I would say go for it, because you could always return it.

Music Facebook: www.facebook.com/grsingleton
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/gsingleton

Me:You could djent using a toothpick and aluminum foil.
Michael T: Aluminum + Djent = Alumidjent
Didn't Lace already do this....hmmmm
GSingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #24
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSingleton View Post
I think they are hit and miss in general, but honestly...I got an 8 string, and it amazing! I am highly considering getting another from them. Also, Kurt is good about rectifying problems. I would say go for it, because you could always return it.
You didn't read the beginning of the thread, did you?

But still, thanks for the answer
Oxidation_Shed and GSingleton like this.
Unread 05-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #25
SS.org Regular

dvon21 has a spectacular aura about
28 inch scale! bahaha, no thank you. I can't handle that.
dvon21 is offline   Reply With Quote