homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-06-2012, 05:15 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

SirJellyJam will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ibanez 7321: new bridge or old bridge?

As said In the title, I'm considering swapping out my 2008 7321's "old" style bridge for the new one basically for the fact I think It looks more comfortable and stylish. What are your opinions on this?
SirJellyJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-06-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
Truth Over Triumph

L1ght is just really niceL1ght is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
New one looks like shit, and is gigantic. Played it at guitar center, worst ....ing piece of hardware ever.

Just my opinion of course.

"if you pizza when you french fries, you're gonna have a bad time." - capoeiraesp
L1ght is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 05:52 AM   #3
SS.org Regular

RuffeDK is a jewel in the rough
Is the new bridge the Ibanez 'Tight-End R' ?
RuffeDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
Truth Over Triumph

No. He probably means the Gibraltar bridge. They don't make 7 string version of the tight end or the tight end R.

"if you pizza when you french fries, you're gonna have a bad time." - capoeiraesp
Unread 05-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1ghtChaos View Post
No. He probably means the Gibraltar bridge. They don't make 7 string version of the tight end or the tight end R.
Yeah, I meant the Gibralter one but damn too bad the Tight end R's weren't made for 7 strings they look good. When you played the new 7321 did the bridge cause less irritation or we're the pegs still bothersome?
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #6
Truth Over Triumph

On the gibralter I played the pegs weren't sticking out, but because of that, the action was high as hell and uncomfortable. If it's the screws that are bothering you on your current gotoh bridge, just buy small screws. I just did exactly that for my 6 string Ibby that has a gotoh bridge and now the action is low as hell, and the bridge is totally smooth. No screws sticking out, nothing. It's amazing to play now honestly.
SirJellyJam likes this.

Unread 05-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #7
ss.org Regular

I'll probably do that, At first I wasn't so bad but now the long pegs are pretty annoying and I like the action low. Could I pick up the pegs at like home depot/lowes or would i have to get them from a music store?
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
Truth Over Triumph

They are metric screws, and I suggest you get the 3MM and 5MM screws. You probably have 3/8" screws, which are the long ones. I bought these because I couldn't find any of those screws at ACE hardware, Lowe's or Home Depot in my area. They seem to be specialty screws because of their size, and because they serve virtually no other purpose then for what we use them for on our guitars. I could be wrong.. but 3MM screws are pretty tiny. BRIDGE SADDLE HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT SCREWS 3MM METRIC | eBay

And I know exactly what you mean. The screws I had were digging into my hand whenever I palm muted, which is very often, so I got fed up and bought replacement screws.

Unread 05-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #9
Guitarded

kn1feparty is a jewel in the rough
I personally love the Gibraltar bridge. Feels solid as .....
kn1feparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

RuffeDK is a jewel in the rough
Woops my bad, Tight-End (R) is only made for 6-strings.... yet. Looks nice and solid, tho ! Can't wait to see some 7's with the new bridge
RuffeDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

MrHelloGuitar is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My biggest issues with the new Gibraltar bridges used on the 7321s are the sharp corners. They get in the way of my playing A LOT.

I've owned two 7321s before, one with the old bridge, the other with the new. I've got to say I like the old bridge A LOT better.

Doesn't Gotoh make direct replacements for the old 7321 bridges?
MrHelloGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
Yugen.

Aevolve is just really niceAevolve is just really nice
I see your old bridge and raise you a Hipshot.
jl-austin and rippedflesh89 like this.

Aevolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
SS.org Regular

MrHelloGuitar is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachesMcKenzie View Post
I see your old bridge and raise you a Hipshot.
Hipshot bridges don't fit the string routes, if you mean to suggest that he should replace his old bridge with a hipshot 7 bridge.
MrHelloGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
SuiÁmez fanboy

GhostsofAcid is a jewel in the rough
Everyone hates on the new bridges, personally i love them. The shoulders make palm muting comfortable, and I personally don't have a problem with the screws sticking out too far, though I like my action a little higher than most probably do. The only gripe i have with the gibralter is that the paint on the section of the bridge where my palm rests is wearing away and looks like crap, after about a year of use.
GhostsofAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #15
ss.org Regular

The pegs will probably be switched out, also would a routeless Kahler be an option? I know esp/ltd had some guitars with the hardtail style trem
Unread 05-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

ConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of lightConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of lightConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of light
I've got the new one:

http://resources.ibanez.com/resource...s/RG7321BK.gif

And I LOVE IT! It's totally out of the way, I have complete freedom where to put my hand without anything in its way.
SirJellyJam likes this.
ConnorGilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #17
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
Having played a 7321 and an RGA7 with the new bridge, i can say that the new bridge is of higher quality, and is more solid.

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #18
Bird head

kylendm is a glorious beacon of lightkylendm is a glorious beacon of lightkylendm is a glorious beacon of light
^
+ 1,000,000

Check out my band Aspects.
kylendm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

jl-austin is a jewel in the rough
How come no one has routed out the area under the bridge to lower it some? To make it a little more flush.

Revelation 20:12
jl-austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #20
ss.org Regular

nihilism is on a distinguished road
+1 on the Hipshot. It can be done.

Through The Eyes Of The Dead

"Skepsis" out now on Prosthetic Records!
nihilism is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #21
Truth Over Triumph

You will need to fill the original screw holes, plus the string through holes, and then drill all new ones in order to fit the Hipshot bridge. The hipshot bridge does not line up with the Gibraltar bridges holes. Not even the older gotoh bridges.

Sure. It can be done. But it will take time, patience, and money though, and probably a few screw ups before having it the way you want it. Not to mention you have to line up the new bridge perfectly with the neck otherwise it could cause playability issues. If anything, it would be in your best interest to bring it to a technician.

There's actually a discussion about this very subject going on right now that you may want to take a gander at: Hipshot bridge with RG7321?
MrHelloGuitar likes this.

Unread 05-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #22
Full-time Lurker

Stone Magnet is on a distinguished road
The new Gibraltar bridge had a lot to do with me choosing the instrument in the first place. I adore it; to my palm the whole surface is comfortably navigable and the transition from the bridge to the beginning of the strings is so smooth that I can not only take advantage of my picking style and get a wider range of tone by playing nearer the bridge, but also more comfortably and accurately variate the degree to which I dampen the strings with my palm. This is most important on the lower strings, and the shoulders give my hand space to do anything on the lower strings and it will feel essentially identical to playing any other, which may be just another stylistic hurdle for me personally, but is no less solved by the bridge. I feel like TOM bridges limit that, however slightly, and are also significantly less comfortable, with sharp edges and abruptly ending sides. I don't generally find Hipshot-style bridges (after which I believe the previous bridge is modeled) comfortable for the same reasons I've been hearing mentioned in reference to this one; action issues, screws, poking parts limiting mobility, and the same issue I have with TOM bridges in that they end on the sides rather abruptly. My action is excellent and I've never had any part of this bridge poke out or bother me in any way, although there's quite some merit to the complaint of the paint quickly wearing. I haven't owned mine for too long now and it is clearly beginning to fade in some areas.

I've been wondering, though; is the Gibraltar bridge an Ibanez product? I like them to the degree that I'd be hopeful to own other instruments with them, but not necessarily Ibanez brand instruments.
Stone Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 01:05 AM   #23
Truth Over Triumph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Magnet View Post
The new Gibraltar bridge had a lot to do with me choosing the instrument in the first place. I adore it; to my palm the whole surface is comfortably navigable and the transition from the bridge to the beginning of the strings is so smooth that I can not only take advantage of my picking style and get a wider range of tone by playing nearer the bridge, but also more comfortably and accurately variate the degree to which I dampen the strings with my palm. This is most important on the lower strings, and the shoulders give my hand space to do anything on the lower strings and it will feel essentially identical to playing any other, which may be just another stylistic hurdle for me personally, but is no less solved by the bridge. I feel like TOM bridges limit that, however slightly, and are also significantly less comfortable, with sharp edges and abruptly ending sides. I don't generally find Hipshot-style bridges (after which I believe the previous bridge is modeled) comfortable for the same reasons I've been hearing mentioned in reference to this one; action issues, screws, poking parts limiting mobility, and the same issue I have with TOM bridges in that they end on the sides rather abruptly. My action is excellent and I've never had any part of this bridge poke out or bother me in any way, although there's quite some merit to the complaint of the paint quickly wearing. I haven't owned mine for too long now and it is clearly beginning to fade in some areas.

I've been wondering, though; is the Gibraltar bridge an Ibanez product? I like them to the degree that I'd be hopeful to own other instruments with them, but not necessarily Ibanez brand instruments.
Very detailed and informative post. It's nice to see some grammatically and scientifically correct responses.

However, do you not feel that the Gibraltar bridge is slightly larger then necessary? I feel as though Ibanez could have made a much more stable bridge, without having to use twice as much space as their previous gotoh bridges. I am not implying that the they should have ripped off the Hipshot design, but to have that design in mind would be in best their interest. It would not only appeal to experienced musicians, but beginners as well.

Just my opinion anyways. I also understand that what I mentioned as a bridge may cost more in the long run to build and mass produce, but I still stand behind my statement. Personally, I think the Gotoh bridges are a STEP UP from the new Gibraltar bridge. Especially with Graphtec or String Saver saddles.

Unread 05-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #24
Vaya Con Cornholio

Pikka Bird is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1ghtChaos View Post
However, do you not feel that the Gibraltar bridge is slightly larger then necessary?
I guess some people (me included) just like the rugged look with massively vast metal chunks and visible screws and all that. I think the old basic hardtail style looked annoyingly bland. The Hipshot style bridge with the shoulders is leaps and bounds more interesting to look at than a bent baseplate with saddles screwed through the rear.

To me aesthetics comes in as a close second priority, right after comfort, and in that regard i do feel that the new Gibraltar Standard does rather well in both of these areas. The "shouldered" Hipshot model is perfect in a sleek, modern way and the Gibraltar Standard is also very nice, in a more bulky, "primitive" way.

Ergonomically, I think it's a scandal that the lower-end hardtail on the older 7321s had the screws poking out that far if you wanted even moderately low action. None of the higher end hardtails (like on 7421s and 7621s) had that "feature". I don't think Gotoh was the manufacturer for the 7321 bridges, actually.
SirJellyJam likes this.
Pikka Bird is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #25
SS.org Regular

Mordecai will become famous soon enough
old bridge over new all day, also if a hipshot bridge is an option id say go for that.
Mordecai is offline   Reply With Quote