homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Axayacatl is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Advice on Edge Pro vs Edge Zero on RG1527m

Hi all,

I've been looking for an Edge Pro RG1527M for a long long time with no luck.

I favor the Edge Pro over the Edge Zero because I am more familiar with it and also because I aesthetically I prefer it a lot more to the Edge Zero.

Of course there is an issue with functionality, maybe the Edge Zero is better than the other. Unfortunately I have not had a chance to test the EZ out.

Now I have the chance to buy an RG1527M with the Edge Zero and I'm not sure whether to take it or wait for an Edge Pro version. These things seem to never pop up for sale.

I DID do a search of Edge Pro vs Edge Zero and all I could conclude from the discussion was that people voted more for the EP but I couldn't get any good reason for it to be better.

I was hoping someone here could give me their 2 cents on whether I should buy or wait. Thanks for your help!
Axayacatl is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

maximummetal288 is just really nicemaximummetal288 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I prefer the Edge Pro. I never use the tremolo, so I like that I can install a Tremol-no with the Edge Pro and easily tune from Bb to Ab. The the ZPS on the Edge Zero does help keep the guitar in tune, but to me I get more stability out of the Tremol-no.

One problem I have with the Edge Zero is how difficult it is to turn the fine tuners (I'm greasy and I sweat a lot, which doesn't help). They don't have much of a grip on them. The fine tuners on my Edge Pro's are easy to turn though, I think they are plastic while the Edge Zero's are some sort of metal.

I certainly wouldn't avoid a guitar because it has an Edge Zero, but being able to use a Tremol-no and the fine tuners on the Edge Pro make it my prefered tremolo.
maximummetal288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

stretcher7 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I just got a 1527M with an edge zero and I love the trem! Great design in all aspects. Go for it!
stretcher7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

Thanks guys!! this is really great feedback and it helps me get over the 'bulkiness' of the EZ vs the EP (I know how ridiculous that sounds).
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

Trypios will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'd prefer the EP. I have my Ibanez as my working guitar for 8 years now and never let me down. You have to take care of it though. Especially the knife edges. It's softer than the EZ and it flutters way better.
Also, companies like Schaller and Gotoh kept the knife edge design and they use them on high end guitars
Trypios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
RG1527 Hoarder

Webmaestro is just really niceWebmaestro is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I just got this very guitar about 3 weeks ago... with the EZ. Like you, I prefer the EP, but if you wait... you'll probably be waiting forever. I doubt we're going to see a 7-string with a maple fretboard again for awhile (if ever again), much less one that has an EP on it.

That's exactly why I jumped on the opportunity to buy the EZ version when one finally popped up (they were discontinued, and seemed to be sold out everywhere). I'd been looking for one for months, and only came across a couple used ones that weren't up to my standards aesthetically (pretty beaten up).

That said, I can live with the EZ. I don't like it, but once I removed the sub-springs and bar (so that it's freely-floating) it was much better. However, I still don't like the screw-in arm, nor the fine tuners, which are hard-as-hell to turn. Oh, and I wish I could add a 3rd spring. I'm just old-school like that, and feel really odd only having 2 springs back there.
Webmaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

You're right, I think it is going to prove almost impossible to find what I'm looking for but I'm being stubborn and decided to wait on the EP one.

I tried out the EZ and I just didn't like it compared to the EP. Nothing inherently wrong with the EZ, I just like the simplicity and look of the EP, even if it is more limited and more difficult to change strings. For my particular tastes EP+tremol-no > EZ. thanks again guys!