homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

Like Tree302Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #101
Melodic Mamma Jamma

JStraitiff is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I know im rubbing against the grain on this one but i really dislike ergonomic and headless guitars. I just dont find them appealing. I dont like pointy horns like ibanez and jackson have. My main turn off is scale lengths shorter than 25.5" and 22 frets.

JStraitiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #102
ss.org Regular

MrPfloyd has a spectacular aura about
floyds.
MrPfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #103
Giggity

JP Universe is pretty much the man.JP Universe is pretty much the man.JP Universe is pretty much the man.JP Universe is pretty much the man.JP Universe is pretty much the man.JP Universe is pretty much the man.JP Universe is pretty much the man.JP Universe is pretty much the man.JP Universe is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Body shape (shrugs)

I can get along with any bridge type, pickups, neck (within reason) etc but if the body is ugly to me, i'm not gonna wanna play it
JP Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #104
SS.org Regular

stretcher7 is a jewel in the rough
Think necks and bad fret work! I set my action realllly low so I need frets adequately dressed and polished. Oh and I don't like most fixed bridges.
stretcher7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #105
Petrucci Wannabe

Jet9 is a jewel in the rough
-Signature guitars. I can't play someone else's guitar, it needs to be my own for me to really bond with it(With the exception of my Razorback . Hate all you want, that's as close as I've gotten to a perfect guitar).
-Abalone inlays. I love huge, extravagant inlays, but abalone ....ing bugs me.This is perfectly fine. This is beautiful. This is ....ing horrendous.
-Mismatched headstocks. Whether it's color or shape, no flow=no me gusta. a V shaped guitar should have something like This, this, or this. NONE OF THIS SHIT.
-The only time I've really liked the look of a quilted top is on my SG, and that's also the only time where I've been fine with neck dive.
-I don't know why, but I don't like newer-model used guitars that look like new. I was trying out a lovely PRS Africa Queen(or something like that) and despite how nice it was, it just completely turned me off that it was used. Definitely not the same for older-model guitars, I was incredibly happy that I managed to find an Ibanez Jem777VBK in near-mint condition.
-SG clones. a les paul clone like an Ibanez ART series is fine, but ESP Vipers are fugly.

That's all I can come up with for now.

EDIT: Crosses. .... that shit, get it away from my guitar. I'm not religious, and I don't want to endorse religion(or satanism, despite my love for black metal) on any of my instruments.

EDIT 2: non-smooth necks, like those mahogany necks on all of the worn gibson guitars with those irritating 'pits'. You know what I'm talking about.

"Sometimes the milk can hurt you, if you put it on your cereal before you smell the plastic container."
-Frank Zappa
Jet9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #106
Ashes Of Rebirth

iRaiseTheDead is a glorious beacon of lightiRaiseTheDead is a glorious beacon of lightiRaiseTheDead is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The 7th string...

Floyds :c
iRaiseTheDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 01:40 AM   #107
SS.org Regular

athawulf is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet9 View Post
-Signature guitars. I can't play someone else's guitar, it needs to be my own for me to really bond with it
THIS so much. I've never wanted anyone's name on any of my gear. I was able to put it aside though for the DAR future breed machines though

Oh, but I'd have to disagree with you on abalone!

athawulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 02:57 AM   #108
Banned

bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
simple enough.

Neck shape. Almost everything can be fixed one way or another, except the neck shape. Sure you can sand it down, but if its too thin to begin with, or not shaped right, you cant do anything about it.

I can almost instantly tell if I "bond" with a neck or not.

Action can be lowered, frets can be changed, paint can be added, bridges can be swapped out, pickups can be replaced, etc etc.

I also dislike anything less then PRS (25") scale length. Gets too sloppy for my tastes.

That and those wierd body shapes as mentioned earlier.... Just don't get it. (Think bc rich too)

Quote:
-Signature guitars. I can't play someone else's guitar..

... I was incredibly happy that I managed to fine an Ibanez Jem777VBK in near-mint condition.

Not to start controversy on my third post.... but:

Huh????

Bigfan, Rap Hat and KultureDekay like this.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 03:11 AM   #109
". . . . . . . ."

larry is just really nicelarry is just really nice
-ugly headstocks
-non superstrats
-multiscale fretboards that aren't
cut to match the angle of the nut and/or the
last fret. for example, note the difference between rondo's pendulum and
kxk's sii-8 scale.
-a shitload of knobs and switches
-bolt on necks
-bulky neck heel on thru-necks

". . . . . . . ."
comissioned: sii-8 scale
larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 03:40 AM   #110
SS.org Regular

edsped is just really niceedsped is just really nice
Quote:
EDIT: Crosses. .... that shit, get it away from my guitar. I'm not religious, and I don't want to endorse religion(or satanism, despite my love for black metal) on any of my instruments.
Cross inlays are now an endorsement for religion? Well that's a new one.
edsped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 03:46 AM   #111
ESP Fanboy

bradthelegend is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Passive pickup routes. Apparently that's just me, though.

Rhythm in jump, dancing close to you.
bradthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 06:17 AM   #112
Rock 7/8

Jamie is on a distinguished road
I expect to gut the electronics, file and crown, and re-gauge every guitar I buy. I hate thick sticky-feeling Korean type finishes, fake abalone, flame veneer tops, and anything else to dress up a shitty guitar. Lipstick on a pig.

Also, Basically, Schecter guitars.

Ooh, and Floyd nuts that aren't mounted right and ping the guitar out of tune when you drop the bar.
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #113
Petrucci Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
simple enough.

Neck shape. Almost everything can be fixed one way or another, except the neck shape. Sure you can sand it down, but if its too thin to begin with, or not shaped right, you cant do anything about it.

I can almost instantly tell if I "bond" with a neck or not.

Action can be lowered, frets can be changed, paint can be added, bridges can be swapped out, pickups can be replaced, etc etc.

I also dislike anything less then PRS (25") scale length. Gets too sloppy for my tastes.

That and those wierd body shapes as mentioned earlier.... Just don't get it. (Think bc rich too)

Not to start controversy on my third post.... but:

Huh????

I'm a hypocrite, I'm 100% aware of that. I own a Jem77VBK and a Razorback Rust tribute, among many other guitars. Amazing guitars and I love to play them, but they're not the kind of the kind of guitars I take out with me to a gig or something. I'm weird, it's just me being a collector vs. me being a musician. collector me gets a huge gear hard-on for a nice JEM, but musician me refuses to play anything that isn't 100% mine.

TL;DR: collect signatures, play my own shit.

"Sometimes the milk can hurt you, if you put it on your cereal before you smell the plastic container."
-Frank Zappa
Unread 03-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #114
Petrucci Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsped View Post
Cross inlays are now an endorsement for religion? Well that's a new one.
I don't endorse executions either. Also this.

-Frank Zappa
Unread 03-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #115
WWSD?

DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.
I hate strats..and Ibanez guitars..I've only seen one Ibanez I thought was interesting..and I half refuse to get it BECAUSE it's an Ibanez..I just hate the company so much
DrakkarTyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #116
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
I also don't like signature guitars IF they are advertising the artist or the band directly. Like if i were to get the Ibanez MTM-2, i would definitely remove the "SEVEN" truss rod cover. And i wouldn't own a Stephen Carpenter LTD model because of the signature inlay. I wouldn't own any of the old Korn signature models, the K-7 ones, because of the inlay.

etc. etc. etc.

However, i would love to own a JEM or UV, or an Apex, or the MTM 2, or an ESP Stephen Carpenter sig, because they don't have any "fingerprints" from the artist or band on the guitar. The Meshuggah sig is a nice one too, because it bears no sign of being a signature guitar if you don't know about Meshuggah's guitars.
Rev2010 likes this.

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #117
Petrucci Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_Kitten View Post
I also don't like signature guitars IF they are advertising the artist or the band directly. Like if i were to get the Ibanez MTM-2, i would definitely remove the "SEVEN" truss rod cover. And i wouldn't own a Stephen Carpenter LTD model because of the signature inlay. I wouldn't own any of the old Korn signature models, the K-7 ones, because of the inlay.

etc. etc. etc.

However, i would love to own a JEM or UV, or an Apex, or the MTM 2, or an ESP Stephen Carpenter sig, because they don't have any "fingerprints" from the artist or band on the guitar. The Meshuggah sig is a nice one too, because it bears no sign of being a signature guitar if you don't know about Meshuggah's guitars.
That's what I've been meaning to say this entire time. regular Stephen Carpenter sig=yes. Stephen Carpenter sig w/ his signature on the fretboard= NOPENOPENOPE.

-Frank Zappa
Unread 03-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #118
Banned

bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I'm a hypocrite, I'm 100% aware of that. I own a Jem77VBK and a Razorback Rust tribute, among many other guitars. Amazing guitars and I love to play them, but they're not the kind of the kind of guitars I take out with me to a gig or something. I'm weird, it's just me being a collector vs. me being a musician. collector me gets a huge gear hard-on for a nice JEM, but musician me refuses to play anything that isn't 100% mine.

TL;DR: collect signatures, play my own shit.

haha its all good! I kinda get what you mean, you're basically catering to someone ELSES style and tastes... but as you prove, thats not always a bad thing
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #119
fps
Kit

fps is a jewel in the rough
FRET BUZZ. JUST SAY NO.

Stream our AWESOME ROCK ALBUM Supervolcano ----------------> http://deathapedisco.bandcamp.com/album/supervolcano
https://www.facebook.com/DeathApeDisco
fps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #120
SS.org Regular

BornToLooze is just really niceBornToLooze is just really nice
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I hate
-Floyd Roses
-Tone Knobs
-Thin necks
-Ibanezes
-the price of Gibsons
-the fact that the only random stars I can find anymore is the Gus G signature
-also the fact that nobody makes a 7 string random star that I'm aware of
-thin strings
-Ibanezes
BornToLooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #121
Intrepid Jackass

Demiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to all
There was a time where Teles and singlecuts with low-output PAFs where the two types of guitars I would never see myself playing, and now they're all I play. Understandably, there are features that we would prefer to not have in our next guitar purchase or things that are objectively indications of a lemon, but I'd never rule anything out now.

"I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip." -George Costanza
Demiurge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #122
Craptastic!

mike0 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToLooze View Post
I hate
-Floyd Roses
-Tone Knobs
-Thin necks
-Ibanezes
-the price of Gibsons
-the fact that the only random stars I can find anymore is the Gus G signature
-also the fact that nobody makes a 7 string random star that I'm aware of
-thin strings
-Ibanezes
i think you forgot to put Ibanezes on that list...

you reminded me of how much i hate super thin necks. and i forgot to mention that i hate high action and really really really low action. i wanna feel like i'm actually pressing on the strings rather than just touching them
mike0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #123
SS.org Regular

BornToLooze is just really niceBornToLooze is just really nice
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0 View Post
i think you forgot to put Ibanezes on that list...
My bad...i can't stand Ibanezes....I've tried to like them, but there's just something about them....probably everything....they look cool though
BornToLooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #124
Craptastic!

mike0 is a jewel in the rough
i don't blame you. i've never been able to get along with them either
mike0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #125
SS.org Regular

TheBotquax is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRain93 View Post
I hate the Di'adarrios i put on my 7, especially the stupid .059 for the B , grr it made sound too chuggy and didnt match with the rest of the strings
lol I've got a .64 tuned to B at a 27" scale. But I like chugginess rather than floppy djenty-ness so it's okay for me I guess.
TheBotquax is offline   Reply With Quote