homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
Woopah!

Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
NGD: Ibanez Premium 7

I just picked this sucker up today. I asked the local store to get one in (had to pay a non-refundable deposit *shakes fist*). Tried it out through a Tri Rec and really dug it, so I walked out with it.

These are the best pics I could grab. I had limited daylight, so had to just grab a few with my kit lens.

My first impression is I like it. It's a fairly cheap (£700), attractive looking Ibanez 7. What's not to like? I've been hammering it for the last few hours. Really enjoyable guitar to play.

The pickups are not the best in the world, but I had a lot of fun using the bridge pickup. It's quite jangly, pretty bright. Something Strat-ish about it. I dig that. The neck pickup is pretty pants. They're both safe for a while, but I'll be choosing some new pickups soon enough.

The neck feels great, the fretwork particularly so. The maple binding on it looks very nice. And I love offset dots. I can't live without dots on a fretboard; love the look of blank ones but I lose my way once I get up higher on the fretboard, and offset is the best of both worlds.

Couple of niggles about it, though. It's in dire need of a set-up. The low B and high E buzz when played open or at the first fret. Not sure how that could get past the guy who signed off the set-up.
The locking studs either don't work or I've not been supplied with the correct tool. I'll get the set I use for my Lo Pro guitars and see if that tiny-arse one does it.
And The dumbass case thing it comes in. It's as heavy as a HSC, but with none of its sturdy benefits. It's certainly better than nothing, but I'm pretty sure that's going.
Shawn, Randy, LordHar and 8 others like this.

youtube.com/ibanezcassidy - My YouTube channel. Guitar vidz.

www.soundclick.com/leecassidy - Let me squirt my music into your ears.

"You might as well be suckin' Wes Borland's no-talent dick if you play with any more than six strings on your ....ing guitar." - A Blabbermouth genius.
Leec is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

Evil Weasel is just really niceEvil Weasel is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Ibanez with rubbish pickups shocker! Seriously, that top is stunning. Nice acquisition. How are the necks on the Premium 7's? Like a 7321 or a 1527?
ProgShredder73 likes this.
Evil Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
Woopah!

Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.
Never played a 7321, so I couldn't tell you how it compares to one. It's not hugely different to the 5-piece 1527 neck (not sure about the 3-piece one). Seems comparable in thickness (although judging the difference of 2mm or so by feel is pretty tough), but the profile seems a little more C-shaped than the 1527 5-piece.
GXPO likes this.

"You might as well be suckin' Wes Borland's no-talent dick if you play with any more than six strings on your ....ing guitar." - A Blabbermouth genius.
Unread 03-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Melodeth-er

oremus91 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Awesome, I've been waiting for the influx of premium 7 string NGDs and I think this is going to get the ball rolling!
oremus91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

IronGoliath is a jewel in the rough
So gorgeous man.. put some nice pickups in there
IronGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
Hammer of the Gods

shanejohnson02 is just really niceshanejohnson02 is just really nice
Those Premium 7's are *almost* enough to make me switch back to Ibanez from Carvin. They are stunning guitars, indeed!

shanejohnson02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
ss.org Regular

Conant20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
So gorgeous man..
Conant20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
(((Ω)))

simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.
You got yourself a wonderful top (well...veneer) there. I love my RG7 Premium, it's a grower. The longer I have it, the more I like it. Throw in a good set of PUs and you'll be happy. DiMarzios are always a good call, just saying.

Happy NGD!
simonXsludge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

Santuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud of
Congrats and HNGD!

Awesome pictures of a GREAT guitar!

my website - free licks - some of my music

I offer online guitar lessons on Skype in different styles. Send me a PM if interested.

Santuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
Guitar Emperor

Blackheim is just really niceBlackheim is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by shitsøn View Post
You got yourself a wonderful top (well...veneer) there. I love my RG7 Premium, it's a grower. The longer I have it, the more I like it. Throw in a good set of PUs and you'll be happy. DiMarzios are always a good call, just saying.

Happy NGD!
So, is it a veneer? I noticed that the edges (binding) looks like natural flamed maple....

Btw! HNGD!! Those Premium are gorgeous!

''And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.''

Friedrich Nietzsche
Blackheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

Horizongeetar93 is just really niceHorizongeetar93 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Weasel View Post
Ibanez with rubbish pickups shocker! Seriously, that top is stunning. Nice acquisition. How are the necks on the Premium 7's? Like a 7321 or a 1527?
I own a 7321 and i've played the 7 premiums. I personally say the neck has less chunk on the premiums than the 7321's. i like both, honestly, but i might want to get a premium soon. This one looks sick and put something metal in for pickups (bkp content?) lol

Check out my band Cease The Sky at http://www.facebook.com/ceasethesky

https://soundcloud.com/austin-saman For all the shreds
Horizongeetar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

broj15 is just really nicebroj15 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Your photography skills are pretty good. I always hate to open up a thread for a nice guitar only to see shitty pics lol. That binding is classy. Can't wait to start seeing these in some of the other colors. Happy NGD.

"It's all jagged and jaded, but it suits us. We just fake it through."
broj15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #13
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Lovely snag, sir, I saw Robby from The Contortionist is rocking one of those now.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #14
UG Invader

Pat_s1t is a jewel in the rough
....ing ass dude this looks amazing! I've played a couple 6 string Premiums, and they're certainly nothing to joke about. Very solid guitars all around.
Pat_s1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 01:26 AM   #15
Jiggywiggy

myrtorp is a jewel in the rough
Looks lovely! Nice photos indeed!
I so want it with a fixed bridge!
myrtorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 01:31 AM   #16
SS.org Regular

Santuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheim View Post
So, is it a veneer? I noticed that the edges (binding) looks like natural flamed maple....
It's not a real thick top, indeed just a thin veneer. If it were a thick top price would be much higher.

The binding is a 'fake binding'.

That said, none of that bothers me, it's an awesome guitar for a great price!
Mine came with a tiny cosmetic flaw which bothered me at first, but then I just decided to get over it.

my website - free licks - some of my music

I offer online guitar lessons on Skype in different styles. Send me a PM if interested.

Santuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 02:40 AM   #17
Jebus

Goatchrist is just really niceGoatchrist is just really nice
Gorgeous top! Congrats!

You must unlearn what you have learned.
Goatchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 03:41 AM   #18
SS.org Regular

Evil Weasel is just really niceEvil Weasel is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizongeetar93 View Post
I own a 7321 and i've played the 7 premiums. I personally say the neck has less chunk on the premiums than the 7321's. i like both, honestly, but i might want to get a premium soon. This one looks sick and put something metal in for pickups (bkp content?) lol
Just checked and it is the same neck as the RG1527Z according to the Ibanez website. Good news as the 7321's were far too chunky for an RG series.

These are Indonesian built aren't they? I know they claim they are built to prestige standard but wonder how they actually stack up. £750 for a non prestige seems way too high to me given you can get a pristine condition second hand RG1527 for quite a bit less than that. If they did the purple one in 7 string version it would be hard to resist though!
Evil Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 05:44 AM   #19
(((Ω)))

simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheim View Post
It looks like that on the headstock binding only. They might put thicker caps on those headstocks, I'm not sure. Wouldn't make much sense either, though. The body binding is not "real", it doesn't reflect the thickness of the veneer / top. Does not bother me at all, though.
simonXsludge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 06:20 AM   #20
SS.org Regular

TheBloodstained is a jewel in the rough
GAS... again and really bad!

Absolutely beautiful guitar

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR
Epiphone Gothic Explorer w. active blackouts
Ibanez SR886
Peavey C5 Tigerwood
TheBloodstained is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:16 AM   #21
JP BFR Whore

Metalus is a glorious beacon of lightMetalus is a glorious beacon of lightMetalus is a glorious beacon of light
Throw the CL/LF combo in that gorgeous thing!
Metalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #22
SS Contributor

Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Congrats! First time I saw this model I wanted one, and I still do.

Mattmc74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #23
Woopah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Weasel View Post
These are Indonesian built aren't they? I know they claim they are built to prestige standard but wonder how they actually stack up. £750 for a non prestige seems way too high to me given you can get a pristine condition second hand RG1527 for quite a bit less than that. If they did the purple one in 7 string version it would be hard to resist though!
AFAIK, several members of the Prestige Team were taken to the Indonesian factory to show the guys there how to build to Prestige standard. Some of the team remain to oversee quality control.

The quality of this stacks up just nicely against my Japanese-made 1527 and 7620. The only problems I have with it are not unique to the Premium series: its trem isn't so hot (Lo Pro just feels bulkier, more solid, and higher quality to me) and the pick-ups need replacing (true across nearly all Ibanez guitars). Although the cheap case is a bit of a let down.

I'd even go so far to say the stock bridge pickup on this is better than the stock ones on a 7620 or 1527. And the fretwork is a little better.

There is a slight drawback to this guitar if you're not prepared for it, though. The frets are quite small on this. Nothing I can't adapt to, but there is a difference.
AkiraSpectrum likes this.

Unread 03-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #24
Ibanez Guitars

Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Very nice. Great pics too!

My Guitar Videos My Band/Project

Guitars~

1991 Ibanez UV7PWH (Dead Mint),
1991 Ibanez UV7BK (Mint),
1998 (F97) Ibanez RG7620BK (refinished in Arctic White),
1999 Ibanez S7420FMTT (silver dot),
2013 Ibanez RG8WH,
1999 Fender Made in Mexico Strat (white, maple fretboard)
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #25
Bring the gain

MikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I hate opening these threads because I want one of these so ....ing badly.

Lethal Force Fitness: Hardcore fitness for hardcore musicians.
KEEP IT GRIM IN THE GYM
MikeH is offline   Reply With Quote