homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-29-2005, 10:19 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

G.B.N.B is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The rg7620. What is it and what is it's backstory.

So I keep hearing everyone mention the rg7620.
Well I'm not too familiar with Ibanez' past rg line-ups but from what I gather alot has been discontinued and can only be obtained through imports or private sellers. Any one wanna fill me in? Also if their are links to pages that detail the past lineups thatd be cool. I'm too lazy to browse ibanezrules or jemsite for this info.
G.B.N.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-29-2005, 10:24 PM   #2
Divinitus Infallibilis
Site Contributor

Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Ebay is great placeto find one. The fact that the 7620 is mentioned a lot should be testimony to it's greatness. Excellent features, quality build, good pickups, and usually resonable priced.

Born of Fire//--\\ Consumed by it
Divinitus Infallibilis

Digital Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2005, 10:59 PM   #3
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
The 7620 was sort of an odd guitar for Ibanez to introduce, in a number of ways. It was essentially a poor man's universe, yet it offered many features that the UV didn't - an all access neck joint and color options (it came out during the production of the black with mother of pearl dot inlay UV that's widely regarded as one of the most boring signature models Ibanez has ever done) for one. The pickups were also unusually good for an ibanez - Dimarzio "New 7's" which while no match for a good afermarket set were noticeably clearer that the stock Ibanez V7's and V8's in most similar offerings (not knowing they were Dimarzio's when I tested mine, my first thought was "Damn, Ibanez has gotten better at making pickups since I last bought one of their guitars"). They listed for $1300 new, and initially went for a street price of $999, generally.

For specs... it's your typical RG body shape, two humbuckers wired to a five way, with a lo-pro Edge 7 trem, the best floating bridge I've personally ever played. Basswood body, rosewood fretboard, a great bridge and a very flexible switching system - it's just a great "player" guitar.

The kicker, of course, is when the seven string bubble burst, Ibanez was left with a ton of these that no one seemed to want. So, Musician's Friend cleared them out at like $450 a peice (of course, this is like two months after I bought mine for $700, figureing they couldn't possibly go any lower ). Not only does this mean that there are pro-quality used seven strings out there readily available for the same if not less than their nearest six string edquivalent, it meant that when Ibanez re-introdced a RG 7, the 1527, they had to price them accordingly to compete with the used gutiar market, and they list for approximately the original street price of a 7620.

Basically, if you want a sevenstring with a floyd, you'd be HARD pressed to find a better one for the money, and overall I'd say only the UV, the JP7, and a couple of the seven string prestiges are on par with it for "metal" designed sevens.

-D

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2005, 11:39 PM   #4
Ibanez Guitars

Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I was very fortunate to find one hanging in a music store back in 1998. It was love at first sight. Now, I've been enjoying my UV7PWH.
Still, I find time to play my 7620 always. I recorded a song with it tonight.

They are out there. Very nice guitars.

My Guitar Videos My Band/Project

Guitars~

1991 Ibanez UV7PWH (Dead Mint),
1991 Ibanez UV7BK (Mint),
1998 (F97) Ibanez RG7620BK (refinished in Arctic White),
1999 Ibanez S7420FMTT (silver dot),
2013 Ibanez RG8WH,
1999 Fender Made in Mexico Strat (white, maple fretboard)
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2005, 12:52 AM   #5
ss.org Regular

nocturne is on a distinguished road
how is the 1527 ?? I live in Turkey and sevenstrings are rare here,so i will need to order one from a shop, but nowhere seems to bring some universes,and if they do they have atmospheric prices. I searched the market and it's the best 7 that will satisfy me but i'm a little worried about the tones and if it can cover a lot of ground( i mean is it just a lousy metal guitar,i want to play all kinds of music,especially with kick ass clean tones) . And all the 1527's are prestige models ? It seems to have only 1 color and thats Royal blue. Am i right ?
nocturne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2005, 12:58 AM   #6
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Yeah, it's a pretty versatile guitar - I've taken my 7620 (basically the same thing) to jazz gigs and blues rock gigs before without raising too many eyebrows, and actually with the tone back a touch it really does sound pretty authentic on the neck pickup, for kenny burrell like stuff. If you want a new seven, it's a tough one to beat, for the price.

-D

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

Unread 05-30-2005, 01:18 AM   #7
ss.org Regular

nocturne is on a distinguished road
thanx a lot. Sorry gbnb for going a little of topic but can you refer me some cool pickups.I've been thinking of buying a tough distortion one for the bridge and a smooth clean-jazz pickup for the neck. Is this combination possible,and if is what can i buy ?
nocturne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2005, 03:47 AM   #8
Double Edge FTW

Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Am I the only person on this board that "likes" the stock IBZ V7/8-7 pickups?

I have an RG7621, and I swapped the "New-7" pickups out for the V7/8-7 pickups. I thought the "New-7" pickups were muddy sounding compared to the ones in my RG7420.

Also, while we're talking 'differences'... does anyone else think the neck on the Universes feel wider than the RGs? I pass on Universes because of it. Thank God Ibanez came out with the RG series.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2005, 03:59 AM   #9
SS Contributor

Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
I think the edge is the best trem available. It's an excellent guitar. I had to sell mine recently. The trem posts have little locking screws that keep them completely motionless, and the bar allows for the warbly, underwater type of sound that I first heard on Blue Powder.
Ancestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2005, 09:24 AM   #10
Divinitus Infallibilis
Site Contributor

Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor

I have an RG7621, and I swapped the "New-7" pickups out for the V7/8-7 pickups. I thought the "New-7" pickups were muddy sounding compared to the ones in my RG7420.

Also, while we're talking 'differences'... does anyone else think the neck on the Universes feel wider than the RGs? I pass on Universes because of it. Thank God Ibanez came out with the RG series.
I swapped out the bridge, but I just can't bring myself to take out that stock neck. It really has a good sound to it..

Born of Fire//--\\ Consumed by it
Divinitus Infallibilis

Digital Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2005, 09:54 AM   #11
ss.org Regular

jski7 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobanez
I was very fortunate to find one hanging in a music store back in 1998. It was love at first sight. Now, I've been enjoying my UV7PWH.
Still, I find time to play my 7620 always. I recorded a song with it tonight.
They are out there. Very nice guitars.
Same here , I had ordered a VK from East Coast Music since the 7620 had a long backorder time locally . Then I walk into Sam Ash the same day and find one fresh from NAMM on the wall . SOLD , on the spot ! That was right after the VK color made it's debut and East Coast was still waiting for theirs . Only time Sam Ash ever impressed me . Now , that 7620 has become a custom project . Anyway , to answer the question , a few of the posts above mention it's a "players" quality guitar . To be more precise , I'd call it a "utility" guitar . You can use a 7620 for alot of things , and it performs well in alot of situations . I'm of the thinking that the 7620 is one of the best guitars Ibanez has put out in a while , 6 or 7 strings . It just had the right qualities from the factory . I'm actually thinking of getting another 7620 (or two) instead of the J-Custom I'd planned on buying this year . For one , they're cheaper , and two , they just "fit" me . To say I love the 7620 would be an understatement .

If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions.
jski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2005, 10:10 AM   #12
Fear the Polo!

Yeah, there's just something heartwarming about it - it's an all around great guitar at a hell of a price.

Unread 05-30-2005, 10:16 AM   #13
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturne
thanx a lot. Sorry gbnb for going a little of topic but can you refer me some cool pickups.I've been thinking of buying a tough distortion one for the bridge and a smooth clean-jazz pickup for the neck. Is this combination possible,and if is what can i buy ?
Naw thats cool, I want pretty much the same thing from my guitar.
Unread 05-30-2005, 10:17 AM   #14
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Yeah, there's just something heartwarming about it - it's an all around great guitar at a hell of a price.
Yep . When I pick up a 7620 I feel like "ahhh , I'm home ...." .

Unread 05-30-2005, 10:25 AM   #15
ss.org Regular

I'm not one to trust online bidding so this seems way to good to be true.
rg7620

Starting bid $0.99.
Current bid $28 bucks.
Unread 05-30-2005, 10:36 AM   #16
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.B.N.B
I'm not one to trust online bidding so this seems way to good to be true.
rg7620

Starting bid $0.99.
Current bid $28 bucks.
Nah , it's got 6 days or so left . It'll go up . Check it in a few days . That's a prime example though .

Unread 05-30-2005, 10:50 AM   #17
Fear the Polo!

The guy selling it is definitely not a guitarist (not the power tools on his header ) and between that and the sharp bridge angle I'm slightyl disinclined to believe his "plays great."

Nice guitar, though, after a good setup.

Unread 05-30-2005, 05:28 PM   #18
bringer of mosh

No Soul has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor

Well Im at least with you in prefering the RG to Universe, but thats because I dont like front mount pickups. Oh yeah, and I dont have Liberace's sense of fashion
No Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2005, 08:34 AM   #19
\mm/

ecalcagnino is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Someone described the 7620, and it's new incarnation the 1527, as UVs with no fluff. I find that to be the most accurate.

A lot of 7620 ONLY guys bash UVs because they can't afford them and have never really had any first hand experience with them. People on this board are FAR less likely to do that than on other... ahem... forums.

I love mine and I love my UVs. I have to say that I prefer the Edge Pro so the 1527 gets my vote over the 7620 as an apples to apples comparison (let the thrashing begin! ), but having a UV or something different and ALSO having a 7620/1527 would be the way to go IMHO.
ecalcagnino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2005, 08:46 AM   #20
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Soul
Well Im at least with you in prefering the RG to Universe, but thats because I dont like front mount pickups. Oh yeah, and I dont have Liberace's sense of fashion
Liberace plays a seven ?! Damn ! I used to hate the UV . It was loud , flashy , obnoxious - you name it . But those are the same things that attract me to it now . It's definately grown on me .

Unread 05-31-2005, 08:50 AM   #21
Ibanez Guitars

Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Well agreed. After almost 8 years of owning one. It seems to never get old for me. I choose my PWH over it in a heartbeat but still, Its a kick ass guitar

My Guitar Videos My Band/Project

Guitars~

1991 Ibanez UV7PWH (Dead Mint),
1991 Ibanez UV7BK (Mint),
1998 (F97) Ibanez RG7620BK (refinished in Arctic White),
1999 Ibanez S7420FMTT (silver dot),
2013 Ibanez RG8WH,
1999 Fender Made in Mexico Strat (white, maple fretboard)
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2005, 11:22 AM   #22
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jski7
Liberace plays a seven ?! Damn ! I used to hate the UV . It was loud , flashy , obnoxious - you name it . But those are the same things that attract me to it now . It's definately grown on me .
Thats why i had to get a 777gr. I was like "Holy Crap! Its So OFFENSIVELY green, i NEED to have it!"
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2005, 02:24 PM   #23
Seen all good people

jim777 is the epitome of metal.jim777 is the epitome of metal.jim777 is the epitome of metal.jim777 is the epitome of metal.jim777 is the epitome of metal.jim777 is the epitome of metal.jim777 is the epitome of metal.jim777 is the epitome of metal.jim777 is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The 7620 is THE one. I can't see buying a UV now when I could get 2 7620's and upgrade them both for the same price. I bought a UVMC in '90, and that was sweet, but it got stolen in 91. I've had the new UV777BK, but the neck wasn't as nice as the 7620's to me. I have a few guitars, and price doesn't really keep me from getting the one I really want, and I'd still pick the 7620 as the 7 to get if you want to start on a 7.
Now about the colors, is the Vampire Kiss that pinkish magenta color, or was that something else? If the VK is more maroon, I have no interest. Loud freaky colors though, that I can deal with. I'm looking at picking up another 7620 now in VK, that's why I ask.

jim
jim777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2005, 02:37 PM   #24
blarg

ajdehoogh has much to be proud ofajdehoogh has much to be proud ofajdehoogh has much to be proud ofajdehoogh has much to be proud ofajdehoogh has much to be proud ofajdehoogh has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Jim777: The VK that I have on my 7620 is more of a blood red type of a color. It is almost a purple. I really like the color. Looks evil and proggy at the same time.

Member of the RHLC!
ajdehoogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2005, 02:41 PM   #25
Double Edge FTW

Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.
The pinkish magenta color is called "Magenta Crush" and is a 7420 color. The VK is a "Vampire Kiss" color on a 7620. The VK is more of a maroon/purple color.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote