homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-29-2005, 05:31 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

StrykeBack is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anybody build a warmoth 7 string?

I'm in love with a spalted maple top ever since i saw a Dean hardtail.
Already own a baritone in drop B.
And was going to build a strat from warmoth and then fell in love with those ibanez RGs from japan look. And then realized I'd love to do the 7 string thing and might as well do it with this project. Anybody have any reference for what scale neck i should get?

Anyone thats built one could mention how much it cost them?
Heres a couple ideas I did for a 6 string before i thought about a 7 string. If i end up with a 7 i'l probably get emgs.

StrykeBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-29-2005, 09:44 AM   #2
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Ironically, I just got the bug to do a warmoth strat. So, I've started pricing it... It's looking like it'll come to about $800, all told, if I'm going to do all the labor and finishing myself.

Warmoth, strangely, offers only two seven string scales - a 25" and a 28." To me, 25" seems too low (25.5" is typical for a 7), and 28' a bit long for stretchier stuff. It's too bad, if they introduced a 7-in-line 25.5" or 26" neck, I'd be ALL over their S shaped body...

-D

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2005, 11:23 AM   #3
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Nice to see they're offering a 7-string paddle headstock now. But they really do need to have a 25.5", 26.5" or 27" scale option. The two options of 25" and 28 5/8" are either too short or too long for what most 7-string players want.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2005, 09:03 PM   #4
Canis lupis obscurus

The Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by darren
Nice to see they're offering a 7-string paddle headstock now. But they really do need to have a 25.5", 26.5" or 27" scale option. The two options of 25" and 28 5/8" are either too short or too long for what most 7-string players want.
My thoughts exactly. I suppose one COULD make a 25" scale work, esp. with the cool psuedo PRS 7 body, for a faux PRS 7-string, but c'mon... 25" is just a bit too short for a 7, really.
The Dark Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2005, 09:40 PM   #5
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
I really wish they'd offer 7-string Fender-licensed necks and bodies. I would love to put together a nice bare-bones 7-string hardtail Strat.
Unread 05-29-2005, 09:41 PM   #6
rx
SS.org Regular

rx is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
don't they only offer the standard strat neckjoints?

good deals with: Elysian, D-EJ915, Josh, ChrisPcritter, musicboyy, glassmoon0fo

My art
rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2005, 11:43 PM   #7
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Yes, but their "comfort joint" looks like a good compromise - it's a bit thinner, and slanted so the treble side is thinner and less obtrusive.

anyway, quit yer' whining, I'm playing a non-AANJ seven!

-D

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

Unread 05-30-2005, 12:01 AM   #8
Ibanez Guitars

Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I played my 7620 tonight and im kind of missing my non AANJ Time to pick up the PWH.

My Guitar Videos My Band/Project

Guitars~

1991 Ibanez UV7PWH (Dead Mint),
1991 Ibanez UV7BK (Mint),
1998 (F97) Ibanez RG7620BK (refinished in Arctic White),
1999 Ibanez S7420FMTT (silver dot),
2013 Ibanez RG8WH,
1999 Fender Made in Mexico Strat (white, maple fretboard)
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2005, 12:01 AM   #9
None shall pass.

eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
I really wish they'd offer 7-string Fender-licensed necks and bodies. I would love to put together a nice bare-bones 7-string hardtail Strat.
That's definitely what I'm looking for as well.

The Offensive Senses
Twitter
Facebook
eleven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2005, 12:03 AM   #10
Fear the Polo!

You'd think some of these companies would put two and two together - I mean, there's a solid, vocal contingent of us at a site dedicated to sevens lusting over strat-style seven strings, you'd think SOMEONE would notice and build one...

Unread 05-30-2005, 05:35 AM   #11
rx
SS.org Regular

rx is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
anyway, quit yer' whining, I'm playing a non-AANJ seven!

-D
NO.

good deals with: Elysian, D-EJ915, Josh, ChrisPcritter, musicboyy, glassmoon0fo

My art
rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2005, 09:05 AM   #12
Decibel Guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
You'd think some of these companies would put two and two together - I mean, there's a solid, vocal contingent of us at a site dedicated to sevens lusting over strat-style seven strings, you'd think SOMEONE would notice and build one...
Well, there's always this.
Unread 05-30-2005, 03:24 PM   #13
None shall pass.

eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Quote:
Well, there's always this.
I like it, other than the angled single coils, the controls (for some reason, for me, the controls just seem out of place, like it needs the third knob, or to move them farther apart like an Ibanez) and the headstock (on a Strat, I'd probably want just natural finished headstock like on most Strats, as well as maybe move the 7th tuner over to the other side like some of the Custom Shop 5-string basses Fender makes).

The Offensive Senses
Twitter
Facebook
Unread 05-30-2005, 04:52 PM   #14
Devoted seven stringer

Mind Riot is just really niceMind Riot is just really nice
Before I got my Schecter, I was thinking of building a Warmoth seven and using it as my main guitar. The scale lengths were what turned me away from it. I don't know what they're thinking, they would sell like hotcakes with a 26 1/2" or 27" scale seven string neck. I've heard several people say that they would do a Warmoth seven if only they had different scale lengths for their necks.
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2005, 01:51 AM   #15
Decibel Guitars

Another option would be to get the 28 5/8" scale neck and put a capo at the 2nd fret... instant 25.5" scale neck!
Unread 05-31-2005, 02:19 AM   #16
ss.org Regular

StrykeBack is on a distinguished road
has anybody personally asked warmoth why they won't do a 25.5 or 26 in neck? would they custom do it? i'm sure it would rape my wallet if i did...
StrykeBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2005, 01:36 PM   #17
BAUOOOW

006 will become famous soon enough
I've spent hours on the phone with Warmoth before when I wanted a custom made 7 with the PRS body. I also was very turned off at the options I was left with for scale lengths. Everything else was perfect...and then I got to the neck. Their reasoning for not having other scales is that they use a CNC machine that I guess is hard to program for or something. Thats what I gathered from what the guy was telling me anyway...I also asked if I sent them a Tune-O-Matic 7 string bridge, could they route the body for it, and they told me no because they can't program the CNC. There were a couple of other things that they had an excuse for, and it nearly always went to the CNC for the reasoning. Ugh.

~006+1
006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2005, 01:55 PM   #18
Decibel Guitars

If their fret slots are all cut by CNC, why can't they just load up the 25.5" program? Their 7-string necks are the only 25" scale necks they do!
Unread 06-01-2005, 07:20 PM   #19
None shall pass.

Anyone feel brave enough to take the 28 5/8"-scale neck and cut off above the 2nd fret and glue the headstock back on?

The Offensive Senses
Twitter
Facebook
Unread 06-01-2005, 07:23 PM   #20
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
that 7 string strat.. i mean the idea is cool, but it just looks 'cheapy' to me in the pictures. Im sure its a cool guitar but i cant get over that.
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote