homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Speculum Speculorum
  • 1 Post By shanejohnson02

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Born4metal85 is just really niceBorn4metal85 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mahagony Carvin

Hey guys. I am purchasing my first Carvin dc 727. I contacted my dealer. First I wanted a simple guitar made from Koa. So Koa neck with two maple stripes+ Koa body and black hardware. That's all. It costs me about 2500-3000 USD...So I decided not to go for it. So now I have two versions in my head:
-mahagony neck with two maple stripes and mahagony body
-maple neck with two valnut stripes plus the mahagony body

Does mahagony neck has an affect on the sounding? Does anybody has any experiences or information? I want to play metal, jazz and classical with it.
Anyone knows the price of the mahagony neck with two maple stipes. My dealer said that is the half price of the Koa.
Born4metal85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
\m/-_-\m/

thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
DC727-
Right Handed
Fixed Bridge 1$849.00

NKOA - Koa Neck & Body$300.00 -CG - Clear Gloss Finish (Standard)$0.00 5K - 5-Piece Koa Neck w/ 2 Maple Stripes$200.00 -PH - Headstock To Match Plain Wood Body Color (Standard)$0.00 -EB - Ebony Fingerboard (Standard)$0.00 -DI - Dot Inlays (Standard)$0.00 -FR - Med-Jumbo Frets .048" H .103" W (Standard)$0.00 -R14 - 14in Fretboard Radius (Standard)$0.00 -C26B - C26 Bridge Pickup$0.00 -C26N - C26 Neck Pickup$0.00 -400 - Black Coils w/ Black Bezels (Standard)$0.00 -CH - Chrome Hardware (Standard)$0.00 -1056 - Elixir Light Gauge .010 - .056 (Standard)$0.00 WL - White Logo$0.00 HC11S - Form-Fitted ABS Hardshell Case FREE$0.00 Custom Shop Total: $1,349.00 Options Discount: $-100.00 Sub-Total$1,249.00

id say find someone in america you trust to order it and ship it out to you

HEISENBERG- Long Island DeathSlam www.facebook.com/heisenbergny
Our debut record is available now!www.heisenbergny.bandcamp.com
thrsher is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
flo

flo is a name known to allflo is a name known to allflo is a name known to allflo is a name known to all
Here is a description by warmoth how different woods sound. Hope it's helpful for you:

Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Wood Descriptions
flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Here is a description by warmoth how different woods sound. Hope it's helpful for you:

Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Wood Descriptions
Thx! I already know that site. I am interested mostly how mahagony neck and mahagony body match
Unread 08-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
flo

flo is a name known to allflo is a name known to allflo is a name known to allflo is a name known to all
Many les pauls come with mahogany neck+body, and the Gibson SG as well. So basically you'll get a powerfull midrange from it. Mahogany necks are not recommended though for very low tunings because they tend to make the bass strings sound muddy.

In my experience, a wenge neck-through design with mahogany bodywings and a 27" scale like you have sounds awesome. The low end sounds huge and very, very powerful but tight enough.

If you insist on the mahogany, a laminated neck with maple or wenge stripes is what I'd recommend.
flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
Go meat!

littledoc is a glorious beacon of lightlittledoc is a glorious beacon of lightlittledoc is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My previous Carvin was all mahogany. I'd concur with flo that the low B sounded a bit muddy. I think a traditional maple/mahogany combo would sound better, although if you can find someone in the states to purchase the guitar for you the koa is absolutely worth it.

p.s.: the one thing I didn't care for with that build is that an all-mahogany 727 is a heavy sonofagun.
littledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

Demeyes is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I recently picked up a 727 with mahogany neck and body. It's a great sounding guitar, the low B isn't too muddy but it's not super clear either. I don't have any problem with it.
I'd recommend trying to get a Carvin through the US instead of buying from a european distributor. They have different pricelists with the US being considerably cheaper. Even after delivery and import costs you will save a lot by getting one instead of going through a local dealer.
Demeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 11:22 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

Speculum Speculorum is just really niceSpeculum Speculorum is just really nice
Well, the whole "mahogany may/may not be muddy" is kind of a moot point. Tone is a whole package deal. It depends a lot on the player and how the player/guitar type/wood choice/pickups/amp & settings/etc. all balance out.

If you do go all mahogany and you find that the Carvin pickups aren't quite delivering the goods, the first thing most do is look into a pickup swap. A lot of guys around here are in love with the Bare Knuckle Aftermaths. I am a bigger fan of the sound Painkillers provide - they sound a bit more balanced to me. I've also heard some folks say they like Nailbombs. At any rate, these 3 pickups tend to push the mids a bit which can help that low end low end clarity. Hope that helps!
Born4metal85 likes this.
Speculum Speculorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speculum Speculorum View Post
Well, the whole "mahogany may/may not be muddy" is kind of a moot point. Tone is a whole package deal. It depends a lot on the player and how the player/guitar type/wood choice/pickups/amp & settings/etc. all balance out.

If you do go all mahogany and you find that the Carvin pickups aren't quite delivering the goods, the first thing most do is look into a pickup swap. A lot of guys around here are in love with the Bare Knuckle Aftermaths. I am a bigger fan of the sound Painkillers provide - they sound a bit more balanced to me. I've also heard some folks say they like Nailbombs. At any rate, these 3 pickups tend to push the mids a bit which can help that low end low end clarity. Hope that helps!
Or a lundgren =)
Unread 08-20-2011, 02:09 AM   #10
Banned

ibanezRG1527 can only hope to improve
i personally find that a mahogany body and a maple neck sound the best. and if its a neck thru, i like mahogany wings with a 3pc. maple/mahogany neck (the mahogany stripe to balance out the extra maple of the neck thru.)

so in my honest opinion (which seems to mean shit to everyone lately) is maple neck with two valnut stripes plus the mahagony body
ibanezRG1527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 02:43 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezRG1527 View Post
i personally find that a mahogany body and a maple neck sound the best. and if its a neck thru, i like mahogany wings with a 3pc. maple/mahogany neck (the mahogany stripe to balance out the extra maple of the neck thru.)

so in my honest opinion (which seems to mean shit to everyone lately) is maple neck with two valnut stripes plus the mahagony body
I haven't decided about tha active or passive choices but this is my finaly choce:

Base Model OptionsQuantity
DC727-
Right Handed
Fixed Bridge 1

MAH - Maple Neck/Mahogany Body

-CG - Clear Gloss Finish (Standard)

BST - Blackburst Edges

RB - Rounded Body Sides

5MW - Maple Neck w/ 2 Walnut Stripes

-PH - Headstock To Match Plain Wood Body Color (Standard)

-EB - Ebony Fingerboard (Standard)

NIN - No Top Inlays - Side Dots Only

6100 - Jumbo Frets .055" H .110" W

-R14 - 14in Fretboard Radius (Standard)

-C26B - C26 Bridge Pickup

-C26N - C26 Neck Pickup

-400 - Black Coils w/ Black Bezels (Standard)

BC - Black Hardware

-1056 - Elixer Light Gauge .010 - .056 (Standard)

WL - White Logo

HC11 - Form-Fitted ABS Hardshell Case
Unread 08-20-2011, 05:01 AM   #12
7ibrarian

ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledoc View Post
My previous Carvin was all mahogany. I'd concur with flo that the low B sounded a bit muddy. I think a traditional maple/mahogany combo would sound better, although if you can find someone in the states to purchase the guitar for you the koa is absolutely worth it.

p.s.: the one thing I didn't care for with that build is that an all-mahogany 727 is a heavy sonofagun.
I have an all-mahogany 727 and even with the actives for extra E.Q the bottom end can be muddy if you're not careful but as far as the weight, I honestly don't feel that it's cumbersome although of course it depends on the size of the player

Mahogany body + maple neck seems to work if that's a concern. My personal plan is to throw in some other pups as a later date to counteract the mud but in the mid/high range at the moment it just sings.......

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 05:19 AM   #13
SS.org Regular

mod edit: post a WTB in the classifieds
Unread 08-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #14
Banned

ibanezRG1527 can only hope to improve
sounds sexy!!!
ibanezRG1527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
Hammer of the Gods

shanejohnson02 is just really niceshanejohnson02 is just really nice
I got a mahogany neck / swamp ash body and it's fantastic. There are tons of guitars out there though with maple neck / mahogany body, and they sound just as good. I think mine is a bit warmer and rounder than a maple neck, but you really can't go wrong either way.
Born4metal85 likes this.

shanejohnson02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #16
SS.org Regular

Hybrid138 is a glorious beacon of lightHybrid138 is a glorious beacon of lightHybrid138 is a glorious beacon of light
I've been wondering how a koa neck and swamp ash body would sound like.

Bacchanalian Bliss (My Ska band):
http://www.facebook.com/blisstx (Facebook)

http://www.sonicbids.com/epk/epk.aspx?epk_id=223821
(SonicBids)

Hybrid138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid138 View Post
Thee is a guy on youtube who has the exact guitar...
Unread 08-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #18
A Different Logic

illimmigrant is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid138 View Post
Alberto7 on here has a carvin with a 5 piece koa/ maple neck, swamp ash body and flamed koa top. Beautiful instrument. He can get you details on the sound.
illimmigrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

Hybrid138 is a glorious beacon of lightHybrid138 is a glorious beacon of lightHybrid138 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by illimmigrant View Post
Alberto7 on here has a carvin with a 5 piece koa/ maple neck, swamp ash body and flamed koa top. Beautiful instrument. He can get you details on the sound.
found him, I wonder if the top makes a difference?

I got the idea from this. It looks incredible! davefoxtattoos's

Bacchanalian Bliss (My Ska band):
http://www.facebook.com/blisstx (Facebook)

http://www.sonicbids.com/epk/epk.aspx?epk_id=223821
(SonicBids)

Hybrid138 is offline   Reply With Quote