homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Sevenstring Guitars
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Sevenstring Guitars Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here.

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
I̵ͨ͆̆̈́ͮͩ͑ͭ̅ͣ̆̉ͭ͑̃̚҉͞

gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
NGD: The Strictly 7 Cobra that my neighbor totally didn't steal.

So after some confusion involving a mysterious "BGRANT," I got my Strictly 7 Cobra!

I'm super pumped, this guitar is phenomenal. I'm amazed out how well the setup held, considering it came from Ohio to Houston (only a 40-45 degree difference in temperature, no biggie).

The neck feels great. Fretwork is spot on. Finish is gorgeous. Sounds like an absolute beast through my DAR.

What more can I say? Jim and his crew did an amazing job.

Specs:
Swamp Ash Body
Flame Maple Neck w/ Pau Ferro fretboard
Medium-jumbo stainless frets
Hipshot Contour 7 tremolo
Bareknuckle Cold Sweat's in bridge and neck
Tremol-no
Sperzel locking tuners
House of Kolor NE506 Blue Neon

Oh I suppose you lookie-loo's want some pictures?

All of dem pics here => Strictly 7 Build pictures by gunshow86de - Photobucket

Oh and look even a video (not me playing);

Now what do?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
gunshow86de is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Beautiful!

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
\m not jesus land m/

CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Congrats, although it looks really cheap in that first photo

Whoever said "the best things in life are free" hasn't played an 80's RG" - TheSixthWheel
CrushingAnvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
Dragonblade629

Hemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't know if its that colour, which I doubt because I love that colour, but that headstock looks weird.

Otherwise its an awesome guitar, congrats!
Hemi-Powered Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
Sexytime!

caskettheclown is just really nicecaskettheclown is just really nice
I love that guitar. Its just so simple. No crazy paint job or pain the ass trem on it.
caskettheclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

buffa d is a jewel in the rough
mm... cold sweats. My favorite bkps.
buffa d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You are one lucky bastard Gunshow, but good on you for it. I loved seeing the video (which I consequently saw a few days ago) the cold sweats are pretty amazing sounding. If I don't get on with the nailbombs they seem very much my style. There is always next guitar though.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #8
I̵ͨ͆̆̈́ͮͩ͑ͭ̅ͣ̆̉ͭ͑̃̚҉͞

gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.
^

Oh yeah, the Coldsweats sound amazing. Very percussive, and really clear sounding. I have the middle position of the three-way set to split to the inner-coils of each pickup. It really nails that single coil snap.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

Unread 04-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
blarg

ajdehoogh has much to be proud ofajdehoogh has much to be proud ofajdehoogh has much to be proud ofajdehoogh has much to be proud ofajdehoogh has much to be proud ofajdehoogh has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
It may be a minor thing to you...but what do you feel about that over route on the neck pup on the bottom control side? I've highlighted it so you can know what I'm talking about.

It may not be a big thing for you but I'd be a little hesitant about ordering a $2k guitar when mistakes like that are getting out.

Member of the RHLC!
ajdehoogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #10
I̵ͨ͆̆̈́ͮͩ͑ͭ̅ͣ̆̉ͭ͑̃̚҉͞

^

Huh? The routes are perfectly symmetrical. Jim uses a CNC machine for all the bodies.

Unread 04-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

mountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
congrats dude, that thing is awesome.
mountainjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #12
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshow86de View Post
^

Huh? The routes are perfectly symmetrical. Jim uses a CNC machine for all the bodies.
I think he's talking about the gap under route for the pickup tab where it looks like somebody slipped with a router... it's small but it looks like it's there in two different pics, not sure how it could have happened if he's using CNC

I'm liking the color you picked How are you liking the Hipshot trem (assuming you're not just leaving it locked)?

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
I̵ͨ͆̆̈́ͮͩ͑ͭ̅ͣ̆̉ͭ͑̃̚҉͞

^

I think I see what you mean. The cavities may have been widened a bit by hand because of the covers. I don't know, I honestly wouldn't have noticed if he wouldn't have said anything. Thanks a lot.

The Hipshot has a nice feel to it. It's definitely "tighter" than the Edge on my RG560, but I think that's due to the extra tension for the low-B (IIRC, my JP7 was like that). For palm mutes, it feels just like a hardtail Hipshot (which is great for me). The arm-mount is interesting. It does't screw in and it doesn't have the Ibanez plastic collars. It must be some kind of metal clip inside of the trem itself. Whatever it is, it keeps the arm from spinning, so I can move it out of the way and it stays there. It seems like a pretty stable trem. I really only use it for flutters and stuff. The Tremol-no is really there for when I feel like getting my chickn' pickn' on (I am a Texan after all) and don't want my bends to throw the other string out of tune.
Dead Undead likes this.

Unread 04-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #14
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
^^^

How do the cold sweats chicken pick, they sound as if they would be amazing for it, even though humbuckers.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #15
Need more gain

Lukifer is a name known to allLukifer is a name known to allLukifer is a name known to allLukifer is a name known to all
Dude that thing is CLASSY! Love the color and everything else about it!!
Lukifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #16
long ball larry!

adrock is a glorious beacon of lightadrock is a glorious beacon of lightadrock is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
finally!! absolutely gorgeous
adrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #17
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Quote:
^

I think I see what you mean. The cavities may have been widened a bit by hand because of the covers. I don't know, I honestly wouldn't have noticed if he wouldn't have said anything. Thanks a lot.

The Hipshot has a nice feel to it. It's definitely "tighter" than the Edge on my RG560, but I think that's due to the extra tension for the low-B (IIRC, my JP7 was like that). For palm mutes, it feels just like a hardtail Hipshot (which is great for me). The arm-mount is interesting. It does't screw in and it doesn't have the Ibanez plastic collars. It must be some kind of metal clip inside of the trem itself. Whatever it is, it keeps the arm from spinning, so I can move it out of the way and it stays there. It seems like a pretty stable trem. I really only use it for flutters and stuff. The Tremol-no is really there for when I feel like getting my chickn' pickn' on (I am a Texan after all) and don't want my bends to throw the other string out of tune.
Cool, I'm thinking I'm going to use the Hipshot trem on some future guitars and you're the first person I've seen that's used one

And it needs said again, that color kicks all kinds of ass

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
Unread 04-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #18
Reggie J Worthington

Sicarius is just really niceSicarius is just really nice
love the guitar, beautiful color.

Glad you got everything sorted out with FedEx. I know the one here in Conroe is atrocious.
Sicarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #19
themuthaphukkindeath

highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Gonna sound gooood through the SC.
highlordmugfug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #20
I̵ͨ͆̆̈́ͮͩ͑ͭ̅ͣ̆̉ͭ͑̃̚҉͞

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomancer View Post
Cool, I'm thinking I'm going to use the Hipshot trem on some future guitars and you're the first person I've seen that's used one

And it needs said again, that color kicks all kinds of ass
Yeah I was a bit nervous, you don't see too many of them out there. It's seems at least as good as the JP7 one, but I'll have to put it through some more testing. The block is fairly sizeable, not sure what material it is. I know JohnIce has one on one of his home builds, and there's a guy in the luthier section that has one on his 7-string Strat.

A word of caution for your builder (I'm assuming KxK? ); don't use the PDF on the Hipshot website. It is wrong. Jim programmed the CNC using their CAD drawing, and when he finally got the trem (Hipshot takes their sweet time with the 7-string trems) it didn't fit correctly. In fact, on the Hipshot site, the one review for the Contour 7 trem says as much.

Unread 04-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #21
I̵ͨ͆̆̈́ͮͩ͑ͭ̅ͣ̆̉ͭ͑̃̚҉͞

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlordmugfug View Post

Gonna sound gooood through the SC.
Shhh, we don't speak of my "ani-djent" rig around these parts.
highlordmugfug likes this.

Unread 04-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #22
I̵ͨ͆̆̈́ͮͩ͑ͭ̅ͣ̆̉ͭ͑̃̚҉͞

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMyghin View Post
^^^

How do the cold sweats chicken pick, they sound as if they would be amazing for it, even though humbuckers.
They sound great. The neck clean tone is beautiful. But that middle-position is where it's at for the single-coil snappiness.

Unread 04-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #23
Turd Ferguson

yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
That thing looks killer.
yellowv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #24
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yeah I was a bit nervous, you don't see too many of them out there. It's seems at least as good as the JP7 one, but I'll have to put it through some more testing. The block is fairly sizeable, not sure what material it is. I know JohnIce has one on one of his home builds, and there's a guy in the luthier section that has one on his 7-string Strat.

A word of caution for your builder (I'm assuming KxK? ); don't use the PDF on the Hipshot website. It is wrong. Jim programmed the CNC using their CAD drawing, and when he finally got the trem (Hipshot takes their sweet time with the 7-string trems) it didn't fit correctly. In fact, on the Hipshot site, the one review for the Contour 7 trem says as much.
Yeah it'll be a KxK (major surprise I'm sure ) Thanks for the tip... KxK don't do anything as far as programming/routing before the parts are on hand when using something new for the first time to avoid stuff like that happening. Can be a drag when a manufacturer is slow getting stuff shipped, but better than realizing a template schematic was wrong.

To get back onto your guitar, I'm really curious to hear the Cold Sweats in swamp ash. They seemed fairly bright so I'd love to hear how that combo works out.

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
Unread 04-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #25
[10]

Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdehoogh View Post
It may be a minor thing to you...but what do you feel about that over route on the neck pup on the bottom control side? I've highlighted it so you can know what I'm talking about.

http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/...5-picture1.png

It may not be a big thing for you but I'd be a little hesitant about ordering a $2k guitar when mistakes like that are getting out.
It doesn't look like a big deal to me. If you want something PERFECT, you probably shouldn't be ordering a custom guitar. They are made by humans, and nobody is perfect. Something super minimal like that, I wouldn't even worry about.

ESP M-II -> Randall Diavlo 100 -> Mesa Rectifier 4x12 and 2x12.
Razzy is offline   Reply With Quote